Duke4.net Forums: Doom II Overhaul Mod: Total Chaos - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom II Overhaul Mod: Total Chaos

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

This video is a teaser for the upcoming Doom II overhaul mod, Total Chaos. This mod runs on altered code of the Doom II engine so it can utilize OpenGL, among a plethora of visual effects. It looks absolutely amazing, especially for running on a lot of twenty-year-old code.

The modder, WadaHolic, was inspired by Stalker. You have nothing to defend yourself against the zombies other than your wits and whatever you can salvage from your environment.

There is currently no release date, but WadaHolic is expecting beta to be available towards the end of 2014. You will require either GZDoom and/or Zandornum to run Total Chaos.

Source

User is offline   Engel220 

Holy shit, that looks amazing. And considering the age of the tech it's running on it's an amazing piece of design.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Fantastic.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

What are the bets that this will be better than the new official Doom ?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I bet +1 rep.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

The only thing scarier than the atmosphere is the fact that its core engine is from 1993!

I mean from this:

Posted Image

to this:

Posted Image

Insane!

Here's wadaholic's blog with much more media and info.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTea Monster, on 24 May 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

What are the bets that this will be better than the new official Doom ?

This maybe better, but it is without a gun. So, my bet is on Doom 4. :)

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 24 May 2014 - 11:17 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

It looks nice, but too bad it's for a generic survival horror with a clunky interface rather than something that actually looks fun to play.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View Postfuegerstef, on 24 May 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

This maybe better, but it is without a gun. So, my bet is on Doom 4. :)

Without a gun?

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I don't really get how this is overhauling DOOM II? Looks like a complete TC to me.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Which Doom port are they using? I don't remember any that have dynamic lighting, which is what that shot with the pipes looks like.

User is offline   MetHy 

There is a Doom general thread, but this deserves its own thread because?
Btw I think everybody should have learnt not be excited by mods anymore until (and by "until" I mean "unless") there is something playable released.

View PostTea Monster, on 25 May 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

Which Doom port are they using? I don't remember any that have dynamic lighting, which is what that shot with the pipes looks like.

He's using GZDoom with a custom opengl32.dll to add bloom and some other post-processing effects. The light in the pipe shot is just a normal dynamic light, no cast shadows or anything.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMetHy, on 25 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

There is a Doom general thread, but this deserves its own thread because?
Btw I think everybody should have learnt not be excited by mods anymore until (and by "until" I mean "unless") there is something playable released.

Yeah, time and time again I see a mod with a list of shit that would rival a retail release and they never see release. There's only a fraction of mods that have actually been released, and there's a reason they're so rare. It's ok to hype a mod if you're mere weeks away from release, but if it's unfinished? Just keep it to yourself.

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

Hmm, when I last checked on this I am certain that it was developed exclusively for the Zandronum engine (it was originally posted about on the ST forums, if I remember correctly). In all honesty, I am surprised he is still working on it as this has been in production for a good 5 odd years or so and the lack of updates on the Zandronum thread did make me wonder if it was abandoned or not. I am still amazed at how great it looks and that shouldn't be surprising seeing as it is developed by Wadaholic.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I wouldn't say it's a feat of technology, it's just clever usage of effects. The bloom and scanlines and fog really help create the illusion that it's not running on a 2.5D engine. It certainly looks good but as James pointed out, I expect the gameplay to be cookie-cutter and somewhat boring. That isn't to say it couldn't change, but the whole "zombie survival horror" thing is played out.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 26 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I am SO SICK of zombies. Walking Dead is all I can stand. The show not the game. Can't stand Telltale anymore either.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Seriously dude, I was co-conspirator in a massive website dedicated to zombie shit and even I'm tired of it's popularity. It's watered down the "genre" so much it's sickening.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Zombie/Survival Horror themes already become boring for me...I don't even care/try to play L4D or those Good'ol "older" Resident Evil series. But seems for public, it's never getting old... :\

Also, that hacked DLL tricks may not working properly on the latest GZDooM's GLEW-based renderer, but I guess it's not really a problem since the author can packaging old official one and Zandornum is still far away with current ZDooM/GZDooM developing codebase, so......whatever.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 27 May 2014 - 02:35 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Although I can see by the 8 rep points that this mod seems to be immensely popular, it doesn't really do anything for me just by watching it. As MusicallyInspired pointed out, the zombie survival horror genre has been done to death. I agree that it's impressive that they have managed to push the DooM 2 engine this far, but in my eyes this makes this only a technological novelty and not a game I would actually be interested in playing.

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

View PostMetHy, on 25 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

There is a Doom general thread

Oops!

View PostComrade Major, on 28 May 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

8 rep points

I Never Asked For This.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options