Duke4.net Forums: Free full Grabbag MIDI file - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Free full Grabbag MIDI file

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't care if he does get revenue. He deserves it.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDuke Rocks, on 04 June 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

TL;DR

I have a vendetta against anyone that spans "like farming" items on Facebook.
Unless you know exactly what "like farming" is or exactly how Facebook works then do not try to contest me.

I have no problems with him releasing the track, but him saying in short "I will only release the track when I get so many likes first" is a dick thing to do.

Reply to this post with "yolo69" and watch what happens!

This post has been edited by The Commander: 04 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

I just had a chat w/ Lee Jackson on Facebook. And he's signed up for duke4.net forums and he can't post/reply yet. He wants to address some unpleasant things here. I just sent Yatta, Hendricks266, and TerminX a PM to help him out to speed up the confirmation so he can post/reply to the forums.

EDIT: Get ready to welcome Lee Jackson to duke4.net!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: LeeJacksonFBchat..jpg

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 04 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

View PostThe Commander, on 04 June 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

I have a vendetta against anyone that spans "like farming" items on Facebook.
Unless you know exactly what "like farming" is or exactly how Facebook works then do not try to contest me.

Lee is a GOD and he can do anything he wants.

This post has been edited by Grounder: 04 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

User is offline   Ahcruna 

Well this certainly developed into something awkward.

Anyway... Thank you for the release of the full theme Mr. Jackson. I made sure to replace the retail theme on all my Duke Nukem 3D installations.
Also, I can't wait for MusicallyInspireds R SC-55 recording. :)

I did some more recordings after I came home from work today, but I won't upload them until I get some sleep, also WMV is being cranky for some reason.

Again my only issue is why did he "need" Facebook likes to release the track.
I applaud him for releasing it otherwise.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostThe Commander, on 04 June 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

Again my only issue is why did he "need" Facebook likes to release the track.

He never claimed that.

Lee Jackson Audio Community
May 15 at 6:31pm
BTW, if you're interested, please spread the word and get some more people to like this page. I only need 3 more likes to hit the magic 100 mark!

Lee Jackson Audio Community
May 16 at 6:49pm
Holy Cakewalk, Batman! It looks like there *is* some interest out there! Also, thank you VERY much for all of the page likes - you've blown past the 100 mark and almost hit the 120 mark as of this writing!

You're the only person in the thread who seems to think Lee's goal was to get page likes. There is nothing wrong with gauging interest in something, and I think Lee's page only has room to grow as more Duke (and ROTT, SW, Stargunner...) fans find it.

View PostFox Mulder, on 15 May 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

If you have a facebook account, go "like" this facebook page. Now.

I see nothing wrong with this statement--just directing a rabid fanbase in a strong/playful manner to do something they probably already would.

Beating MusicallyInspired to the punch here, but I felt like sharing my own Roland SC-55 recording of the theme, but with some tweaks I made to make it sound similar to the shortened in game MIDI. I also did the tweaks to make it sound right since it sounded off on the SC-55 to me.
Grabbag Full Version SC-55

• Weaponized Autism

View PostSpooferJahk, on 04 June 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

Beating MusicallyInspired to the punch here, but I felt like sharing my own Roland SC-55 recording of the theme, but with some tweaks I made to make it sound similar to the shortened in game MIDI. I also did the tweaks to make it sound right since it sounded off on the SC-55 to me.

Sounds alright.

• The instruments 0:24-0:28 and at 0:55-0:59 sound weird.
  • It sounds like a low note is missing at 0:33 and again at 1:35. You can hear the second one onward clearly.
  • A note is very noticeably missing at 1:23.
  • The chimes are either drowned out or partially absent.

Could you share your tweaked MIDI? With permission, of course.

View PostHendricks266, on 04 June 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

Sounds alright.

• The instruments 0:24-0:28 and at 0:55-0:59 sound weird.
  • It sounds like a low note is missing at 0:33 and again at 1:35. You can hear the second one onward clearly.
  • A note is very noticeably missing at 1:23.
  • The chimes are either drowned out or partially absent.

Could you share your tweaked MIDI? With permission, of course.

Sounded fine on my setup, but it's not a perfect tweak admittedly, but I have no issue sharing my tweaked MIDI.
MIDI File

This post has been edited by SpooferJahk: 04 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

• Weaponized Autism

^Wrong link.

View PostHendricks266, on 04 June 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

^Wrong link.

Corrected my link, sorry about that.

Went back and listened to the recording Hendricks266 and I noticed those issues compared to the raw tweaked MIDI I made. My Sound Canvas sometimes likes to be weird and mess up notes after playing certain MIDI files before it, shows me that I should probably reset the module before making a proper recording. I will tweak it again making the Chimes more apparent since those are a bit drowned in the shortened MIDI as well, which I was copying instead of making it sound like the full version we are all familiar with.

This post has been edited by SpooferJahk: 04 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

User is offline   Lee Jackson 

• Composer

My thanks to the moderator(s) who have approved my request to join the forum!

Well, the situation has changed since last night. I originally felt compelled to defend myself against some rather unfair and inaccurate statements. I see that, since then, others have come to my defense in my absence. I really do appreciate the support from everyone who has understood the situation. Still, please allow me to clarify a couple of points for the sake of anyone who still has any doubts about my intentions.

As to the charges that I'm "like farming," I must say that I am doing no such thing. I barely have enough "likes" on Facebook to have a separate page to announce releases, much less do anything else of which I've been accused. Any requests I've made for people to "like" my community page have been to judge interest in the Grabbag project or to simply get the word out about the page. Also, I like seeing nice, round numbers, so the months for which my page sat just below 100 drove me a little crazy. :)

I did need to gauge interest in releasing Grabbag. It was a lot of work splitting up the original Cakewalk .WRK file into GM and GS MIDI files, made more difficult by my inability to focus on the job at times (see next paragraph). In the end I even had to pay to upgrade my old web editor (Net Objects Fusion) so that I could get a decent-looking website up and provide some small measure of license protection to the file.

As for accusations of financial gain, I can't have any. Period. I receive Social Security Disability pay, due to a combination of injuries and illnesses which prevent me from being able to work on a full or part time basis. Any income I generate must be reported to the Social Security Administration, who reduces my disability pay dollar-for-dollar. I will admit that it would have been nice to have made a few dollars on the release, but I simply can't do that anymore. This, along with the level of interest and my desire to see what others can do with the song, resulted in my decision to release the MIDI files at no charge for non-commercial use.

I hope this explanation has made the situation involving the release of Grabbag clear. I welcome any reasonable questions that may remain.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

- Lee Jackson

User is offline   Malgon 

Welcome to the forum Lee! :)

• Composer

View PostMalgon, on 04 June 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

Welcome to the forum Lee! :)

Thank you!

Thanks for explaining your situation.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Welcome, Lee! This MIDI file has been somewhat of a holy grail for me for a long time, since hearing the Redbook recording. I've wanted to try replicating it myself, but I've never sat down and actually done it. Now I don't have to!

Any chance of you releasing the original WRK or is that necessary in any way? I ask out of pure curiosity. Also, which Sound Canvas exactly was the Redbook version recorded with?

Thanks so much again!

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Thanks a lot for this! I've been wondering for a long time whether there ever was a MIDI file of the CD audio track. I will consider updating the music packs on the HRP site with new recordings based on that new release (provided that's OK from a legal point of view).

Lee for president! \o/

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 June 2014 - 04:09 AM

User is offline   Ahcruna 

All hail and welcome the supreme overlord Lee!

All kidding aside, the release of this means a lot to many of us.
Thank you very much for your effort and actually releasing it! This is certainly a delicious treat. :)

View PostSpooferJahk, on 04 June 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

Oh yay, neat!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 June 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

Welcome, Lee! This MIDI file has been somewhat of a holy grail for me for a long time, since hearing the Redbook recording. I've wanted to try replicating it myself, but I've never sat down and actually done it. Now I don't have to!

Any chance of you releasing the original WRK or is that necessary in any way? I ask out of pure curiosity. Also, which Sound Canvas exactly was the Redbook version recorded with?

Thanks so much again!

He explained that he used a SC-88 in this post. :)
https://www.facebook...6882831?fref=nf

• Composer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 June 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

I don't know about the original .WRK file - there's some proprietary stuff in it that I'm not sure I want out there. Too long to explain. :)

Also, as confirmed earlier, I used a Roland SC-88, powered by an early version of Cakewalk Pro Audio and recorded into SAW Pro. I created the *new* MIDI files using Cakewalk Sonar X3.

• Composer

View PostNightFright, on 05 June 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

Thanks a lot for this! I've been wondering for a long time whether there ever was a MIDI file of the CD audio track. I will consider updating the music packs on the HRP site with new recordings based on that new release (provided that's OK from a legal point of view).

As long as you follow the instructions in the License, you can pretty much do whatever you want that's non-commercial.

View PostAhcruna, on 05 June 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

Thank you very much for your effort and actually releasing it! This is certainly a delicious treat. :)

Thank you and everyone else for the compliments - I hope you enjoy the files for a long time to come!

User is offline   Kyanos 

For round numbers Lee I up-voted you to 10 for your first Duke4 post :) I think it's great to see you and other heros of Dukes past here on the scene. Welcome.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I would like to use this opportunity to thank Mr. Jackson not just for this release, but for all his wonderful music :) I really like the ROTT soundtrack. Thanks a lot sir! ^_^

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

As a rule of thumb, just ignore The Commander, he's very angry that he's a Kiwi and not an American.

Welcome to the forums, Mr. Jackson.

GUS version; https://www.mediafir...e444thnneo7edlq

Used Playmidi (A utility that does what it says on the tin that comes on the GUS driver disks) as I couldn't get it to play right in game, the synth solo just didn't work properly. Meh, gave me something to test out the new memory chips with I guess.

User is offline   Minigunner 

On a similar note to both Grabbag and the HRP, I wonder if you are capable of re-rendering BARMUSIC, BONUS, and 2BWILD in high-quality (and stereo for BONUS)?

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

What makes me wonder: Is there a full version of Bar Music "Mortal Wombat"?

• Weaponized Autism

^I think that has been asked before, and BARMUSIC.VOC is all Lee ever made of it. I can only suggest Mark Knight's track from Total Meltdown.

After noticing some errors with the initial recording thanks to Hendricks pointing them out, here is an updated recording of the full Grabbag on the SC-55 with some more tweaks to make it sound a wee bit closer to the SC-88 recording Lee Jackson made years ago. It isn't exact, but this is as close I can get without significantly altering the original song. Much rather not completely overhaul a piece of history, since Lee made it perfect as it is already. ^_^

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options