Duke4.net Forums: The Future of Duke4.net - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Future of Duke4.net  "Bouncing off ideas"

User is offline   Paul B 

Maybe if the upvotes and downvotes were only controlled by the forum admins instead of the general public it could be better used for making the public aware of legit forum posts while allowing these posts to be viewed from the main page portal. I think the voting system is a good thing its just improperly used if this was a system that was only controlled by the forum admins it would correct the problems. This would also be like a proofing system as well just to make sure that the post has been read and approved by a forum admin before being posted to the main page.

I think the idea is sound, it's just a matter of how to implemented it that will determine how effective it really is.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 14 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

This is the only forum i know in which reppoints are a recurrent issue. In mapcore you voteup a post and it reads at the bottom that you and others liked it, it doesnt sum up score for being shown right under your avatar, like you are your score. It´s not the voting system a problem, it´s the way it seems to be so relevant.

User is offline   Player Lin 

MusicallyInspired, on 14 May 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

You know you can increase displayed font sizes in Windows, right? That includes everything from Windows message boxes, programs, websites, and icons too. Everything. There's no reason to stay on such an outdated resolution. Geez I'd say 1024x768 is the absolute minimum nowadays.

I don't agree that but I guess that's it...

I know of course, but like I said, if I want change to use 1024x768 or higher for my desktop resolution, I were just changed to that instead posted that useless shitpost...nah, whatever. :)

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Hank, on 13 May 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

Also, I visited scent 88, the other day. Good maps make front page there on a regular basis. Why not have it for Duke4? Reserve a spot to highlight EDuke32 work. And/Or what is the programming team up to, and what is the latest version and so on. Where are we at with currently worked on TCs, etc.

Just mouthing off rough ideas. Posted Image

We definitely need that, especially since mods.duke4.net didn't take off. :)

Kristian Joensen, on 13 May 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

Frederik, is this the website you were thinking about: http://railgun.newz.dk/

Thanks!

Protected by Viper, on 14 May 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

[HOME] [NEWS] [FORUM] [ARCHIVE]

Welcome to Duke4.net, you're premier source for Duke Nukem news! We're nothing but a bunch of hardcore Duke fans just waiting to take your call!

!!!HOT DUKE NUKEM NEWS FROM THE FORUMS!!!

Basically, yes!

Tea Monster, on 14 May 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

If you did use the automatic upvote system for getting content for the front page, the future could look like this: [Image of cesspool of some sort]

I think I see everyone's point about the upvote system, but like I said there can be other factors to consider aside from just upvotes.

Player Lin, on 14 May 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

Sounds like good ideas, but should minus rep system. :P

I just hope the new site working and looking enough fine for 800x600...hate a lot of sites like do a 1280x1024 resolution, and I can't even see shit at all unless I scale the whole page down and sometimes I can't read texts because it's too small after scale down. :)

http://www.sevenforu...ngs-change.html ;)

ReaperMan, on 14 May 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

There are still separate accounts for the home page and forums right? So how about we just merge those into one account while you are making changes.

I know, I've been wanting to do that since, like, 2007. This will be a good chance to do it.

Fox, on 14 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

Wouldn't it be better to just make the forum the front page then?

Well, almost but not completely. Front page should be more of a portal.

ReaperMan, on 14 May 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

BTW if we really need people to post news we should advertise the shit out of it so more people know.

Tried that before. No one stays around long enough.

Gambini, on 14 May 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

Next year cars will fly, skateboards will hoover, jackets will talk and pizzas will come in portable sizes. With all that technology at our reach.. who the hell will care about a site for a 19yrds old game?

Me! I love Duke4.net. It's one of my most treasured projects. I'm never letting it die.

Paul B, on 14 May 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Maybe if the upvotes and downvotes were only controlled by the forum admins instead of the general public it could be better used for making the public aware of legit forum posts while allowing these posts to be viewed from the main page portal. I think the voting system is a good thing its just improperly used if this was a system that was only controlled by the forum admins it would correct the problems.

Yeah, but I want things more community driven and less admin-dependent.

User is offline   Gambini 

Yatta, on 15 May 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

Me! I love Duke4.net. It's one of my most treasured projects. I'm never letting it die.

Doesn´t get the joke
Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Why not just put threads from specific forums with the most replies on the front page?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Yatta, on 15 May 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

Yeah, but I want things more community driven and less admin-dependent.

So less this:

Posted Image

And more this:

Posted Image

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Gambini, on 15 May 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

Doesn´t get the joke

What's Back fo the Feature? :)

MusicallyInspired, on 15 May 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Why not just put threads from specific forums with the most replies on the front page?

That too. But certainly it'd have to be threads that are still relatively new.

• The Sarien Encounter

I suppose you could flag only a certain amount of days/hours old to show up?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Player Lin, on 14 May 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

Sounds like good ideas, but should minus rep system. ^_^

I just hope the new site working and looking enough fine for 800x600...hate a lot of sites like do a 1280x1024 resolution, and I can't even see shit at all unless I scale the whole page down and sometimes I can't read texts because it's too small after scale down. :)

And no, I won't change to higher resolutions due some my personal problems, like eye hurts when reading small texts/icons on higher resolutions. I know the new Windows has "scale" setting for scale up if these things if they just too small on higher resolution.

But I still prefer use default one, unless one day stupid display driver/OS developers dropped 800x600 for their good.

Just saying, can ignore this pointless suggestion...

Get a new
1. Monitor
2. Graphics card
3. PC
4. All of the above.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

5. Stop coming to this site.

User is offline   Usurper 

• Hates Twitter

Has anyone seriously researched WP and IPB integration? Not a ton of options aside from some paid plugins. There's stuff you can do with RSS, but SSO is a bitch.

Anyway, I'd like to see a review section.

Duke Nukem is dead...

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

...Long live the Duke

The only thing keeping it alive is Duke 3D...

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

And the only thing keeping Duke 3D alive is Duke4.net.

• The Sarien Encounter

Long live Duke4.net.

When Duke 5 is announced, will Duke4.net become Duke5.net?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

"Duke for Net"

User is offline   Kathy 

hismasterplan, on 31 December 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

When Duke 5 is announced, will Duke4.net become Duke5.net?

http://www.duke5.net

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Kathy, on 31 December 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

I registered that about two years ago, but we'll likely stick with the same domain.

I'll probably allow Duke5 to expire. It's better to stay with a well-known name/domain for the website.

User is offline   Kathy 

But I want a sequel.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options