Duke4.net Forums: What is it that the oldies did right... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is it that the oldies did right...  "...and the new ones don't?"

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The classification of "cutscene" has always been a bit tricky. Personally I use the TotalBiscuit... Yeah, I know, I reference him a lot. He happens to share my opinion on a lot of things, only he says it with a strong English accent which makes it sound like unmitigated fact. Anyway, I agree with his general definition. Though conventional wisdom would say that a cutscene is any point in the game where you are "shown" a sequence in a cinematic fashion. IE: control is taken away and you are shown an event ala a short movie or animated segment. I think his general idea of sequences akin to those found in Half-Life, and also in DNF, where the player is stuck,effectively, in one room, listening to an NPC talk at them, are also cutscenes. Why? You don't have any real control in these events. Oh sure, in Half-Life, if you like reloading the game anyway, you could kill the NPC, but that's hardly control.

Where as the conversations in Deus Ex/HR and games like Mass Effect keep you invested by giving you some element of choice in the outcome of the conversation. Almost a "choose your own adventure" for video games. That's how you take something cinematic, like well written dialogue, and apply it to a video game experience. The player should not ever feel like a passive element in the world.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostProtected by Viper, on 12 May 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

IIRC the Directors Cut edition has better cutscenes.

I've only ever played the directors cut, and I still think the cutscenes look worse than the game world. Doesn't that kind of defeat the point of FMV? It's not like the animation or texture quality of the FMV is all that flash.

User is offline   Jblade 

Using FMV isn't purely for better quality video, sometimes it's much easier to pre-render certain sequences rather than having to do it ingame.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

There's FMV in Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Wow. A modern triple-A title using FMV is more than a little odd. Interesting.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah I was surprised when I saw it. IMO in the case of Deus Ex it kind of takes me out of the world and breaks the immersion, as opposed to a "cutscene" that takes place and is rendered in the game world.

This post has been edited by Mickey C: 13 May 2014 - 03:41 AM

User is offline   Laokin 

View PostMickey C, on 12 May 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

I don't remember any cutscenes in Deus Ex 1. Although I'm only half way through at the moment.

Btw am I the only one who thinks the game world of Deus Ex:HR looks better than the FMV?

Well you're on some not paying attention shit, because Deus Ex 1 starts with a cinematic with Joesph Manderly talking in front of the illuminati new world order hand statue.

This is it. The game is RIFE with cinematics... they are in the same places and pacing as DX:HR -- conversations too....

And yeah, you'd be the only one -- the FMV looks amazing unless you're playing a ripped pirated copy with compressed cinematics...

They really fucked up Human Revolution by putting it on the Tomb Raider Anniversary engine, now that Thief was on UE3 and UE4 is out and cheaper to use than UE3 was, I'm hoping that Deus Ex 4 goes back to it's Unreal home where it belongs.... Human revolution was plagued by that horrible engine, the animations were about on the same level as the original Deus Ex, just talk to the pilot watch her do the robot 4,000 times before you're done talking to her.

Human Revolution was as terrible of a Deus Ex game as Invisible War was -- it had a solid story, but even the ending was exactly the same, literally -- push 1 of these 3 buttons that are all conveniently right next to each other to pick your ending. At least the original was like Mass Effect....

They got nothing right about that game, the Augs were all messed up, the third person was jarring and unnecessary, the fact that there was no "choices" to be made with the augs, if you played like a completionist you could literally have every single one maxed out at the end... Most of them were useless, the super speed/jump leg augs were slow and not powerful, the cloaking didn't last long enough, the takedowns cost energy to use and were so overpowered that it invalidated even purchasing the energy upgrades since you were playing the best by living off the one regenerating block, the outsourcing of the boss fights, forcing you to actually fight bosses -- there was only one forced fight in the original and you can pass it without firing a bullet by running away using the proper augs....

Eww. Human Revolution was a mess of modern game design mixed with an ancient game engine and was an overall terrible experience outside of the story it told..... At least it didn't have universal ammo and it brought the grid inventory back, that's about the only two things that game got right -- everything else was wrong -- it's an awful game with awful graphics with a genuinely fantastic art style....

Yes there is full motion video in Human Revolution, it's not LIVE ACTED FMV though -- it's not Tex Murphy of Command and Conquer, it's animated CGI by the same people who do the FMV cut scenes in the final fantasy games.

This post has been edited by Laokin: 20 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostJames, on 12 May 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

Using FMV isn't purely for better quality video, sometimes it's much easier to pre-render certain sequences rather than having to do it ingame.

Especially when you're programming a game on a console that has 256MB of RAM. Waaaayyyy easier to stream Bink video than redesign all your shit.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Cutscenes fit well into Deus Ex, I don't see the problem.

Given the genre of the game, the cutscenes fit and seem to be good at what they do from what I have seen.

In my case, I just don't enjoy that kind of game. One genre I did enjoy that had heavy cutscene use was point-and-click adventures like Broken Sword 1+2 and a derivative of that genre, true survival horror, as those games were very story based - as is Deus Ex - and they woudn't have worked very well without them.

In short, I guess it's genre dependant. Take something like an FPS and cutscenes outside of the beginning, after boss fights and endings are not welcome in my opinion whereas RPG/Adventure you actually need them.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 20 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options