Duke4.net Forums: What ever happened to Duke Nukem: Trilogy? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What ever happened to Duke Nukem: Trilogy?

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

Fellow Dukers.

We all know Critical Mass was sub-par and "meh" at best, but what actually has happened to the rest of the DN Trilogy? There has not been ANY information on it at all in...how long?

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The project went chest up not long after 3D Realms closed their doors. It seems as if the game juggled in various states before finally the project was cut short. The Duke Nukem Critical Mass(In some regions simply named "Duke Nukem DS") that was released was pretty clearly not a finished product, and featured numerous glitches and bugs throughout. Not to mention very clearly reusing sound assets ripped straight from Duke Nukem Manhattan Project.

There were some rumours for a time that the other version of the game, for the PSP, would see a release, but that never happened. Some additional rumours said a version was leaked onto the internet, but i've seen nothing about it. The only media we have on it is a short gameplay video that was uploaded to YouTube a few years back.

During all this, the game was tentatively renamed(I believe either because of the lawsuit, or because of what was happening with relation to Gearbox getting the rights to the Duke name) to "Extraction Point : Alien Shootout" which featured a character named "Cam Nash" who was literally just a repaint of their Duke Nukem character model.

Attached Image: CamNash.jpg

There was a piece of concept art done at this point, featuring Nash kicking an alien/mutant/monster and saying "When Duke fails, I don't!" Which only sparked more frustration amongst some fans.

After this things have been completely quiet. The project ran out of money, and most likely will never see the light of day. Add it to pile with all the other Duke Nukem failures.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I thought the Cam Nash game was released.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 May 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

I searched high and low for it. The last thing ever really said on the subject was a discussion that took place on the facebook page regarding changing the characters name. To my knowledge it never even saw a digital release. It just vanished.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 May 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

I looked up the game as well and found no trace of it ever hitting the shelves. The original newsletter from the developers, Frontline Studios, announcing that the Duke Nukem IP was being dropped from the title claimed that Extraction Point: Alien Shootout was slated for a late 2010 release on the PSP and mid-2011 on the DS. However, that never transpired, although Duke Nukem: Critical Mass did get released on the DS. The Frontline Studios website, which was never updated to reflect the Extraction Point rebranding or even the release of Critical Mass, went offline in 2012 (still featuring Cam Nash on the front page, fittingly enough).

As mentioned above, this is the only other image ever seen of the elusive Cam Nash:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by RinyRed: 01 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Huh. What a mystery.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's not a mystery, it's obviously the Duke Curse.

User is offline   Kyanos 

From a game play perspective, DNCMPSP is a Third Person Perspective Action Shooter, enriched by especially designed game play boosting features where the Player can exploit unique game play enhancements, such as Sniper Mode, Jet Pack mode, Cover Fire mode, or Quick Time Event powered Boss Battles.

Really, Sniper Mode... Quick Time Event powered Boss Battles... Sounds like the Duke Curse saved us on this one.

OK, I had to play it, I downloaded the ROM, got all the way to some type of sewer rat enemy... What a terrible terrible game. Words can't describe how sad this is for Duke.

This post has been edited by Drek: 04 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

The PSP version was originally going to have a first-person mode.

Posted Image

Here are some enemy animations from that game.

If they had properly completed the PSP version, I'm willing to bet that the difference between that and the DS game we got would be like night and day. B)

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDrek, on 04 May 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

Really, Sniper Mode... Quick Time Event powered Boss Battles... Sounds like the Duke Curse saved us on this one.

OK, I had to play it, I downloaded the ROM, got all the way to some type of sewer rat enemy... What a terrible terrible game. Words can't describe how sad this is for Duke.

You downloaded a rom of the PSP version?

To my knowledge no such thing actually exists. The DS version, of course, because that was actually released.

Regarding the FP mode, it was never clear whether that was simply a way to aim, or if you could actually move around in that perspective. The footage of the prototype version never showed the FP mode, which suggests to me that it never worked properly.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostCommando Nukem, on 04 May 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

To my knowledge no such thing actually exists. The DS version, of course, because that was actually released.

Regarding the FP mode, it was never clear whether that was simply a way to aim, or if you could actually move around in that perspective. The footage of the prototype version never showed the FP mode, which suggests to me that it never worked properly.

No, I'm pretty sure they intended to have full FPS action sequences in the PSP version...whether they were forced at specific points or switchable at any given time, I don't quite recall(though I'm pretty sure I remember it being announced as the latter scenario).

And I was going to ask Drek the exact same question, but then figured it HAD to be the DS version he meant. I'd love to be proven wrong, though... B)

I remember getting a PSP just so I can play those games. I don't even know why I had faith in the first place lol.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It's weird. Although graphically they look somewhat better than the Playstation Duke games, they seem to be just as janky, if not more janky, than TTK or even LOTB. The engine didn't really seem like it was all that good. I mean, especially compared to some of the other PSP games that have eventually come out, looking and playing much more smoothly.

I foolishly bought a PSP when I saw the first screenshots of Critical Mass on IGN or whatever it was. What a waste of money.

In any case, I've got a ton of images from Critical Mass on PSP, that i haven't seen posted in a while, that i uploaded here if anyone's interested http://imgur.com/a/E9B6r

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 04 May 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

B) sorry to get any hopes up

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostTrikeen, on 04 May 2014 - 07:13 PM, said:

I foolishly bought a PSP when I saw the first screenshots of Critical Mass on IGN or whatever it was. What a waste of money.

In any case, I've got a ton of images from Critical Mass on PSP, that i haven't seen posted in a while, that i uploaded here if anyone's interested http://imgur.com/a/E9B6r
So did I... I was always planning to get a PSP, but I basically bought a new PSP right after I Pre-Ordered Duke Nukem: Critical Mass for PSP and DS.

No actual loss for myself as I would have eventually gotten a PSP anyway... lots of great games and movies for it. : )

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 05 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options