Duke4.net Forums: N64 controller troubles. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

N64 controller troubles.  "Trying to find a clean and sturdy controller."

I'm having unsuccessful of finding a perfect N64 controller. The two controllers I got in the mail from Amazon.com are either dirty and the other one has a loosey joystick. I even can't find a sealed controller officially made by Nintendo!

I'm NOT buying an after market controller that are made by May Flash and Cirka. I've heard they're very generic and break easily. Avoid at all costs!

Nintendo need's to get its head out of it ass and put the controllers back into production (not to mention the Hori pads).

EDIT: Does this post belong in the hardware/software or general gaming forum? Feel free to move it to the general gaming. Making sure.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 26 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

I have several good ones... a couple I bought with Joysticks replaced. I am surprised you can't find new ones though.
Have you ever considered just rebuilding them yourself? I have done it with lots of consoles and controllers, but not with a Nintendo 64 controller.

Now I have to go research this. B)

**edit**
Well that was interesting. I just looked in my repair tackle box and I have three of them in there already. I keep a LOT of spare parts for game consoles and controllers, I just didn't remember having these as I don't remember every opening a Nintendo 64 controller.
Of the three replacement sticks I have, one has wires to be soldered and two have a connector on them that matches my N64 controllers board plug. I opened a controller and could change a bad stick in probably 5 minutes or so. One thing I do not know is what the quality of the replacements are.

A quick look on eBay shows new sticks as well as button pad sets... sticks ranging from about $3 shipped to $10... there are some lower and some higher however. I would at least spend enough to get one with a plug and not have to solder anything. B)

But out of curiosity... why don't you buy some "well described" original Nintendo 64 controllers from eBay? You can find new ones from time to time, but they will be $100 plus. I guess it depends on how important New is to you.
Here is one I would love to have...
Original Nintendo Controller... NEW! (But Expensive)
Here are two original Gray also...
Original Gray Nintendo Controller... NEW!
Original Gray Nintendo Controller #2... NEW!

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 26 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

There are aftermarket analog sticks on Amazon that work very well.

Went to Disc Replay and got myself a Green N64 Controller for $15.98. It was like new-ish. Joystick's performs very good. Cleaned it very well w/ 70% rubbing alcohol. Now next on my list is getting the games Jet Force Gemini and Conker's Bad Fur Day in the future.

Anyone in Duke4 got an Hori pad?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDustFalcon85, on 26 April 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Went to Disc Replay and got myself a Green N64 Controller for $15.98. It was like new-ish.

I've been around this fucking forum and Jimmy/Viper so long, I read that as "It was like Jewish".

Are there any decent N64->USB adapters? I was thinking of using it for emulator shit.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 26 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The problem with the n64 controller is that it's cheap junk. The joysticks are crap!

There are adapters, dunno how well they work.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I'm a much bigger fan of this one. I own it personally and it works very well. It also has PS2 and Sega Saturn support. A lightly used Saturn pad is the gold standard for anything 2D. No other controller even comes close. Once you switch over to a Saturn pad every other controller is garbage by comparison, except for the original Genesis 6-button pad. But that thing lacks shoulder buttons so as a universal game pad for emulators it's not very good.

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B006ZBHXEO

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 26 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

A good N64 controller is hard to find because the stick has terrible build quality. It was the best analog stick back then, but it wore off too easily and I don't know of an easy way to solve it.

Also beware of counterfeits (they exist, yes!). Easily recognizable by hard buttons and generally poor finish.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options