Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

An autistic pre-teen who harassed Frederik, TX and Hendricks in regards of the unreleased content.

View PostKristian Joensen, on 27 May 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

But probably the biggest grey area here is what was transfered from 3DR to GBX

Everything. The only Duke-related thing 3DRealms owns is the Bombshell character.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

This was hidden in this thread, but I don't think anybody ever found it.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

That gotham.. so many things to comment on that its gonna take a while to compile a list.
This version seems to be after that game show version as the first demo has the same map.

View PostTerminX, on 30 June 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

Oh man the way the pistol wiggles around when Duke walks is hilarious lol

User is offline   deuxsonic 

It feels a lot more familiar than LameDuke. Seeing very early versions of some of the final maps and early songs is interesting. I kind of wonder now what the final game would have been like had they kept the plasma gun and flamethrower.

This makes me wonder how much of the music Lee Jackson and Bobby Prince composed actually went unused.
For example, I actually like the beta version of "Whomp" a lot better than the one that made it into the final game. And from the sound of it, "Gotham" also used to have much more of a melody to it than the final product does.

I would love to see a release of the original versions of these tracks someday.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 01 July 2016 - 05:53 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

I would like to see the tracks be recorded by MusicallyInspired :P

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostTerminX, on 30 June 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

Very nice city map, Reminds me a bit of the fist map in The Gate.
So, the expander was cut to release as DLC? Those monsters :P (If it was done today people would whine endlessly).

View PostDoom64hunter, on 01 July 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

"Gotham" also used to have much more of a melody to it than the final product does.

I'll have to disagree.

That is curious, the expander worked just like the shrinker where it only took a single shot. Why would they cut it? The pair go well together.

Yeah I definitely like the final Gotham, it turned into such a powerful song.

View Postdeuxsonic, on 01 July 2016 - 06:50 AM, said:

That is curious, the expander worked just like the shrinker where it only took a single shot. Why would they cut it? The pair go well together.

To have a weapon for the expansion pack? The expander was one of the reasons why I bought the Atomic Edition.

Is that the same build used in that game show? Also, I can't tell, but is the Pigcops using SMGs?

That city map was very impressive, but I can see why it wouldn't work. Interesting to see the old Expander and Flamethrower (which functions more like the Napalm Launcher in Blood). Are the moving spaceships in that first level the same as the ones in Lameduke or final?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Ok, time to disassemble the video.

This is not the same as the game show build, instead I'm pretty sure that it's newer, you can see that the initial hallways in the GS build were a lot simpler, vacuum/window closing existed already during the LD days.

This map clearly has some tiberius station vibes going on, especially since it has those overpasses and everything. Nearly nothing of this seemed to survive but the vibes are clearly there.

City map, this obviously was split in to E1L1 and E1L2 the more you look at it, those walls added in the road seal the deal pretty much, way more obvious than LD. There is also that french duke vid which has a similar bar counter but in a later development state. Whole rooftop bit was scratched but the idea of sewers and the exploding building were kept.
E1L1 is obvious, there are even some shots with those building textures intact.

Subway level, this is developed further from LD but not much, relative alignment has been added to the subway car's floor so it doesn't scroll weirdly. Rest of the autodemo looks pretty much the same.

Dark side, obvious changes here. Still probably the most intact map of them all, very little changes aside from cosmetic and having an open main hub. I find it kinda weird that duke doesn't need a space suit here.. Maybe the sky is green because of that? I mean, there are those blue stripes at the top.. Whole thing might be a seal ?

Gears seem a bit familiar, death row comes to mind.

Last space map has odd similarities to warp factor with it's rotating objects and that round starting area which reminds me of the area that has the enterprise secret. Some of the areas remind of lunar reactor as well. Also the crazy doors at the end are really something that Levelord has done before (sweeney and It's impossible).

This whole version seems like something between LD and final, where LD was closer to 30%, this is more like 50-60%, most of the features are in and a lot of the enemies are taking shape too, all the enemies you see are mostly earlier iterations of the same.

One bonus, that very last level has a flashing green alien (teleporter?) right before the demo ends. Hints that alien texture set and elements were getting implemented in finally.

As for the music, I really like these older versions as well but I think that some of them sound really ROTT-like, I wonder if Lee was persuaded to stay away from this "old style" ?
I really like that style as well so it's not a problem but It's just a theory I've been rolling in my head for a while since it seems weird..

View Postoasiz, on 01 July 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

As for the music, I really like these older versions as well but I think that some of them sound really ROTT-like, I wonder if Lee was persuaded to stay away from this "old style" ?
I really like that style as well so it's not a problem but It's just a theory I've been rolling in my head for a while since it seems weird..

Well one of the tracks you can hear in the beta demo recording was actually released by Lee Jackson a while ago:

The description states that it "never made it past the George filter" so it's likely that a lot of the more ROTT-style tracks, such as this one, were either rejected outright or redone.
"Plasma", instead of being a somber slow track seems to have been very fast-paced and intense at first. "Gotham" seems to have had a instrument track removed for the final build, and of course there's "Whomp", which practically underwent a complete overhaul.

Now don't get me wrong, I really like the final version of these tracks myself, but I'm really intrigued as to what they originally sounded like.
"Whomp" stands out to me in particular, as the beta version sounds really awesome in my opinion, so I'm kind of curious if we have any other hidden gems that didn't make it past the "George Filter".

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 01 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLunick, on 01 July 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

I would like to see the tracks be recorded by MusicallyInspired :P

:D :)

Also, another thing you can easily gloss over, it seems that the Ripper used to have two firing modes, one shooting singular plasma balls, the other spreading multiple smaller projectiles similar to a shotgun.
Funny, that almost exactly mirrors the behavior of the Mauler from Strife, yet both games were still in development at that time.

I guess, from the apparent lack of a shotgun in the beta, that the weapon was eventually split up into the chaingun cannon and the shotgun we have now. A good call in my opinion.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 01 July 2016 - 11:48 AM

Hey, Duke might have been the first African American FPS hero :V

Posted Image

View PostDoom64hunter, on 01 July 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

Also, another thing you can easily gloss over, it seems that the Ripper used to have two firing modes, one shooting singular plasma balls, the other spreading multiple smaller projectiles similar to a shotgun.
Funny, that almost exactly mirrors the behavior of the Mauler from Strife, yet both games were still in development at that time.

I guess, from the apparent lack of a shotgun in the beta, that the weapon was eventually split up into the chaingun cannon and the shotgun we have now. A good call in my opinion.

Where's that in the video?

View PostPikaCommando, on 01 July 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

Where's that in the video?

At exactly 10 minutes you can see him change to the Ripper, fire a single shot, change to the ripper again and then fire multiple smaller ones.
I assume it would've worked just like with the Shrinker/Expander, the only difference being that you'd have no way of telling which firemode you're using at the moment.

(That's also how the Mauler works in Strife)

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 01 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

• el fundador

Pistol and RPG had alt fire modes back then as well.

View PostTerminX, on 01 July 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Pistol and RPG had alt fire modes back then as well.

What do they do? Toggle laser sight? Activate heat seekers?

• el fundador

The pistol fired something like 6 shots at once. I think it was a crappy, early implementation of what would have been burst fire, but the alt fire modes were scrapped before that kind of stuff was further developed.

Was the boss fight on the roof of the tall building further developed?

Posted Image

I find it funny that they use a brush as a placeholder instead of a sprite.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It still exists in the final game. Highly unfinished.

Do you think Gearbox would ever be interested in sharing the pre-release stuff?

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 01 July 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

Do you think Gearbox would ever be interested in sharing the pre-release stuff?

Unfortunately they probably do not care about any of this stuff. It's a shame since Frederik seemed so enthusiastic about sharing all this material with us.
I remember checking this thread on a daily basis 2 years ago being excited at all the discoveries that were found. Oh well, wish 3DR and Gearbox could at least work something out.
The Duke Nukem 25th anniversary has been really quiet.

This post has been edited by Sega Neptune: 01 July 2016 - 10:29 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostSega Neptune, on 01 July 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

The Duke Nukem 25th anniversary has been really quiet.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

I meant like a formal announcement of anything new that's Duke Nukem related, sorry I shoulda been more clear.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Heh.. thanks for mentioning first frames.. if you pay attention, you can actually see that female soldier that was scrapped on that subway map.
So they did indeed work on it more.

This image has been lazily color corrected.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   KareBear 

Is there any chance we could get some footage of one of the Shadow Warrior betas?Or even a release?Im sure Devolver is more open to that happening than Gearbox is with Duke.

View PostKareBear, on 02 July 2016 - 06:33 AM, said:

Is there any chance we could get some footage of one of the Shadow Warrior betas?Or even a release?Im sure Devolver is more open to that happening than Gearbox is with Duke.

I would definitely be interested in see some early builds of Shadow Warrior if any still exist.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 02 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

So uh, anybody got any ideas as to why DN3D's cast of enemies turned from robots to aliens? I think the 1995 build in the video already has somewhat the same plot as the final (but with LameDuke levels for some reason and little sign of the tentacle infestation), but we still don't know anything about LameDuke and the 1994 build. Was there a robot revolution or something? Who would be the bosses, then?

Since the human/robot(???) Trooper evolved into the alien Assault Trooper, does that mean the human/robot(???) Captain evolved into the Assault Enforcer? The only thing remotely alien with LameDuke is the cyborg Octabrain and the DN2 slime.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options