• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Direct System Mod  "Revamped"

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

Posted Image

93812th restart later...

Story,
Set in several years before the events of Duke Nukem Forever.
Duke Nukem relaxing on his old fishing boat when he suddenly gets a mail from his laptop. "General Graves?" says Duke and the proceeds reading the mail. It reads that the General's daughter went quiet in an island where Direct System is located and asks Duke to go check it out. Duke accepts it and sails towards the Island. Days later he finally sees the island, he then immediately gears up and says to himself, "Somebody's gonna friggin' pay for screwing up my vacation!".

Mod features:
- Episode of 5 Large maps and some Bonus maps
- Locations to explore; jungles, caves/mines/ruins, military bases and the Direct System itself
- Atmospheric with plentiful ambient sounds
- New enemies to blow up! Direct System's Mercenaries, Mechs, Droids and unknown aliens
- Lots of secrets, Easter eggs and hidden messages.

Lacks polish but pretty much finished.
Posted Image

Good enough. Maybe polish some more when I'm closer to final release.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Currently Working...
New Merc Minigunner
New ??? Enemy
Polishing Art

Pre-rendered intro cutscene.
Duke arriving the Island with his fishing boat and gears up like in Commando movie, and then says something funny. I try to keep the cutscene similarly low quality like Birth's intro cutscene to give that look as if Direct System was an Expansion Pack.

2013 Direct System Demo Downlooad
This demo is basically ugly and cheap looking but you can get some sort of idea what to expect from final version of Direct System.

Direct System is something I've always wanted to finish since early 2006. Below is my old thread I made back in 2006.
Original 2006 thread

In case people get confused with names. I used to be known as Pappi_man and MrGlasses.

This post has been edited by Jenz/Amaka: 19 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

Looks absolutely amazing!

this mod still being worked on. or is it finished?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Holy shit, are you serious?

View PostNukemRoses, on 13 April 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

this mod still being worked on. or is it finished?

There's already a demo I released, but finished mod won't be like that. Demo was more of a getting opinions from people. You can still try it out.

View PostJimmy, on 13 April 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Holy shit, are you serious?

Yes. And I think it's gonna be awesome.
Sure there are barely any players playing Duke Mods, but who cares. As long as I get at least 10 people plays. I'm happy.

This post has been edited by MrGlasses: 14 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Demo was solid so I'm glad to see that you are continuing this. I know how time-consuming shit like this is so I wish you the best of luck.

User is offline   Jblade 

Sure there are barely any players playing Duke Mods, but who cares. As long as I get at least 10 people plays. I'm happy.

Think you misunderstood, Jimmy was talking to NukemRoses since they were asking if the project was finished/dead only about a week after you posted, which is pretty silly/impatient.

View PostJames, on 14 April 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

Think you misunderstood, Jimmy was talking to NukemRoses since they were asking if the project was finished/dead only about a week after you posted, which is pretty silly/impatient.

sorry if it seemed like it

View PostMrGlasses, on 14 April 2014 - 07:07 AM, said:

There's already a demo I released, but finished mod won't be like that. Demo was more of a getting opinions from people. You can still try it out.

i know of the demo. i have it. it's looking good. challenging, but looking good. i was just curious if a newer version was made from the demo i had gotten cause i saw some videos of the mod that had things i didn't see in the demo

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I still think it looks a little weird that Duke's legs are so far apart. Is he constipated or something? Posted Image

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostMicky C, on 14 April 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

I still think it looks a little weird that Duke's legs are so far apart. Is he constipated or something?

I was just gonna comment on this as well :)

The mod itself looks like this really nice throwback to early 00's and I'd love to play it, but something is indeed wrong with Duke's legs. I can't think of any reason anyone would stand in such a weird position.

View PostMicky C, on 14 April 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

I still think it looks a little weird that Duke's legs are so far apart. Is he constipated or something? Posted Image

Tried to replicate Original Duke position. I suppose it's something I'll work on bit more when I'm close to finishing the mod.

View PostNukemRoses, on 14 April 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

i was just curious if a newer version was made from the demo i had gotten cause i saw some videos of the mod that had things i didn't see in the demo

Not yet. Probably won't make it either. What I'm gonna release in the future will be the finished one. Although I might ask testers later.

This post has been edited by MrGlasses: 15 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

Small Demo

... now, back to drawing level 2 map.

User is offline   Gambini 

I like it. But i don´t understand why you spoil it with a video like that.

View PostGambini, on 23 April 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

I like it. But i don´t understand why you spoil it with a video like that.

It's just small piece, 1/4th of the map. Didn't show of other places players could check out.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Not sure I like the square placement of the grass, but that mod looks killer, I want to play.

EDIT: You know there's a non-toilet variation of the sitting trooper?

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 24 April 2014 - 01:53 AM

View PostDaedolon, on 24 April 2014 - 01:52 AM, said:

EDIT: You know there's a non-toilet variation of the sitting trooper?

Ye, I know. I kinda rushed with enemy placement for the video.

just throwing this out there but. there's this mod called Duke 3D Forever. got a Duke Forever model. it's from the old DNF game. but it's something at least

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 1405.png

View PostNukemRoses, on 27 April 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

just throwing this out there but. there's this mod called Duke 3D Forever. got a Duke Forever model. it's from the old DNF game. but it's something at least

Yea, I knew about that model when it first got surfaced.
Although I don't like that much. At least his face is more Duke than Gearbox's Duke for sure.

View PostMrGlasses, on 27 April 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Yea, I knew about that model when it first got surfaced.
Although I don't like that much. At least his face is more Duke than Gearbox's Duke for sure.

lol. well i look forward to the final touches of the mod. i saw the video recently. commented on it to

is it possible to make a version of this to be played on Megaton? like a copy of the mod in GRP & CON files or something

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Very nice

View PostNukemRoses, on 28 April 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

is it possible to make a version of this to be played on Megaton? like a copy of the mod in GRP & CON files or something

I tried to find out how to port it to Megaton, but I just couldn't get Megaton read my mod's CON files.

• Honored Donor

Yeah I don't think getting mods on Megaton is worth the effort you'd need to put into it, and quite frankly I don't see much of a point either.

Cause Megaton supports only classic 1.4 CON commands, and not all new Eduke function, i guess...

View PostMickey C, on 29 April 2014 - 01:34 AM, said:

Yeah I don't think getting mods on Megaton is worth the effort you'd need to put into it, and quite frankly I don't see much of a point either.

Megaton has working and easy-to-use Multiplayer. Unlike Eduke32 where I have absolutely no idea how to make it work properly.
Not to mention how simple and clean the menu is in Megaton.

I still prefer Eduke32, but the Multiplayer issues are pissing me off.

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

I am really liking those screenshots so far, those little touches such as the atmospheric sounds and those subtle burps that are showcased in the video sound really well done. Speaking of EDuke 32 and its multiplayer issues; wasn't there an old SVN build which had stable multiplayer capabilities? It most likely wouldn't be compatible with this however.

Bon Appétit
Posted Image
More variety for health.

Now that first map is done. Now it's all about polishing textures/sounds and adding last remaining enemies...

Also,
I'm releasing all of my old content of the mod. All of them are before Demo release, 2006 to all way to 2014. Uploading in case anyone gives a fork or if in case my house get demolished.
http://www.mediafire...tSystem_Old.rar
It includes some old textures, documentation, map concepts and all of the old enemy art I made.
Maps from 2006 / 2007 was made for HRP.
One Map from 2012 textures are gone. Don't have 'em anymore.
Maps from 2013 / 2014 can be viewed properly using my current Demo release.

I'm positive I'll finish this mod this time.

This post has been edited by MrGlasses: 01 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostMrGlasses, on 29 April 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

Megaton has working and easy-to-use Multiplayer. Unlike Eduke32 where I have absolutely no idea how to make it work properly.
Not to mention how simple and clean the menu is in Megaton.

I still prefer Eduke32, but the Multiplayer issues are pissing me off.

it can be cool to play the mod via Megaton. and it is worth the effort. especially with the fact that, the maps are big and long. they'd make nice co-op maps

• Honored Donor

View PostNukemRoses, on 29 April 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

it is worth the effort

Try to have a full grasp of compatibility issues before making claims like that. Besides, with your logic once eduke32 gets multiplayer (which will end up being vastly superior to Megaton's) there'd be no reason to port mods to Megaton at all.

The chances are, if this mod uses any coding at all, it would be eduke-specific code commands. Not to mention that 90% or more of all mods and TCs out there will only run with the advanced scripting capabilities of eduke32. So even if it were possible to port this to Megaton, that doesn't help all that other content out there.

This post has been edited by Mickey C: 30 April 2014 - 02:37 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options