Duke4.net Forums: Facebook bought Oculus VR and John Carmack... - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Facebook bought Oculus VR and John Carmack...

Posted Image
http://www.ign.com/a...r-for-2-billion
What is done is done but the hilarious part for me is that John Carmack that has said this among other things.
John Carmack: Facebook offers the 'Walmart experience of gaming'
http://blog.games.co...rience-of-gami/
Left id sofware for the thrill of the innovation in what seemed to him a very cool innovative company where he could use his knowledge to improve and build upon the future of virual reality.
And now, not even half a year later, he has become a Facebook employee without him having a say in it rofl..

I simply burst out laughing when I read his latest tweet where he indirectly facepalms at the situation he got himself in...
Posted Image
https://twitter.com/...631990560903169

It took 2 billion dollars to take the oculus rift and turn it into a farmville virtual reality simulator.
Yey...
How do you guys take this news? What are your thoughts on the future of VR for serious pc gaming now and what do you think Carmack should do now?
What's amazing to me is that facebook actually agreed to pay 2 fucking billion dollars for a very small company that produced a small vr headset.
If they paid so much, then just imagine how great oculus rift actually is.
The hype about it being amazing was not exaggerated at all it seems.
And if facebook paid 2 billion, they did it because they know for fact that it was really worth at least 4 billion if not more.
The Oculus Vr CEO did not have the balls to risk losing 2 billion dollars, which is a shame because I am pretty sure that if he would have resisted selling out, he would have become much richer in a few years from now.

Update:
Also, Notch canceled minecraft for the oculus rift today after he heard the news.
Posted Image
https://twitter.com/...586381565390848

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

User is offline   HeadClot 

Tempted to Stalk John Carmack on Facebook now...

But really - This is can turn out to be really good or really bad.

I am following Palmer Lucky on Reddit and he is making allot of promises. I hope that he and facebook can keep them all.

http://www.reddit.co...er/palmerluckey

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I don't care for this at all. Kind of glad I didn't shell out for one of the dev kits yet now...

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

"Please log into your Facebook account and like one of our sponsors before using the Oculus Rift."

Posted Image

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Finally..... Farm-ville 3D.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Honestly, this can go either way. As it stands, the oculus is a peripheral like a monitor, and if facebook is really in it for the long term and follows through with their plans to be "hands-off" with the development of the tech then it could give Oculus the much needed support to compete with say, Sony, since they are pushing for VR as well. This could be supported by FB's hands-off approach with Instagram, and they are simply investing in VR to hold a stake in the future market which might be very big and net them a lot of money without needing to do anything (kind of like if you had invested in the internet before it became so big for lack of a better example).

On the other hand, it's fucking facebook so a pre-emptive

to Fuckerberg.

I was really looking forward to the Oculus Rift and the different experience it was presenting us with.

As it stands now, it could mean we get them faster and maybe even more affordable, but more likely Facebook probably just killed the only fucking gaming related thing I have been genuinely interested in in years.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 25 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostTerminX, on 25 March 2014 - 07:33 PM, said:

I don't care for this at all. Kind of glad I didn't shell out for one of the dev kits yet now...

yeah i got to demo an early model, and whoa plagman was damn right, fuck that resolution, maybe if you were not so anal about it you wouldn't mind but i sure as hell did, totally not ready till they can amp that res, and this FB shit fuck it, XFPS storm light gun and foot pedal, learn it, master it, every FPS is now a lightgun game now anyway

This post has been edited by Stabs: 26 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

From what I heard the latest dev versions pretty much fixed all the complaints about the early models.

User is offline   Stabs 

Ya, you can really understand why those early version weren't consumer, that shit just aint right yet

its a glorified dual monitor, someone will come along and probably do it even better anyway spec after this FB shit

User is offline   Malgon 

Wow, this is a real surprise to say the least. Don't know if this is good or bad for the future of Occulus. I can see the reasons for this happening, and how Occulus can benefit from it, but I can also picture it not working out how they intend it to. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out I guess. :)

On an unrelated note, while reading through this news article over at engadget in regards to the Rift, I noticed that Dave Oshry no longer works at Interceptor. I don't recall hearing about that before.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I've heard of the business practice of large companies buying out potential competitors so their products never see the light of day. Somehow, I would not be surprised if this were the last we would ever hear of Oculus Rift before Facebook buries it forever.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

How would Oculus Rift be a competitor to Facebook? One deals with social networking while the other deals with increased immersion and awareness in computer games.

View PostMicky C, on 26 March 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

How would Oculus Rift be a competitor to Facebook? One deals with social networking while the other deals with increased immersion and awareness in computer games.

It's not so much that Oculus Rift itself is a competitor, it's a sort of gateway for other competition. Right now Facebook is the dominant social network because nothing offers something that Facebook doesn't already have but if a new social network came along and their gimmick was virtual reality then Facebook just lost ad revenue. I'm hoping that Facebook just wants to work closely with Oculus Rift to have virtual reality implemented before anyone else to keep their dominant place in social networking. They might even expedite development to beat Sony's Morpheus.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PosttorridGristle, on 26 March 2014 - 03:44 AM, said:

It's not so much that Oculus Rift itself is a competitor, it's a sort of gateway for other competition. Right now Facebook is the dominant social network because nothing offers something that Facebook doesn't already have but if a new social network came along and their gimmick was virtual reality then Facebook just lost ad revenue. I'm hoping that Facebook just wants to work closely with Oculus Rift to have virtual reality implemented before anyone else to keep their dominant place in social networking. They might even expedite development to beat Sony's Morpheus.

In addition, there's a meme going around the investment community that console and PC gaming will ultimately fall to social/mobile gaming, which rely a great deal on micro-transactions and ad revenue, which Facebook serves as a gateway to. Be mindful of this, as it will greatly affect the gaming industry for years to come.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Notch has said a bit more about it.

http://notch.net/201...ange-the-world/

User is offline   Kyanos 

A woman just talked about this on my local news.

Anchor: "Does it come in other colors?"

Tech Guy: "It supports a full color spectrum."

Anchor: "But can I get it in pink?"

View PostThe Commander, on 26 March 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

Notch has said a bit more about it.

http://notch.net/201...ange-the-world/

Notch has some good points there. If anything I see this as good for gaming VR, it will grow in popularity and obviously competitors will rise up and get the gaming market that oculus passed on for facebooks $2B. As for facebook, VR business meetings turn to VR sex romps in like 5 minutes, add in some cheap games, step 3 PROFIT.

People seem to be worried that the Oculus Rift will no longer be about gaming and in a way I hope that happens. I want the Oculus Rift, and systems like it, to be as commonplace as basic computer monitors without the idea that it's only used for games by giant nerds. The average person ought to be able to look at a VR headset and think of it as they would any other appliance they have around the house. I don't see this as removing gaming from the Oculus Rift just like I don't see Farmville as removing gaming from LCD displays, I see it as expanding its potential and marketability.

User is offline   Hank 

View PosttorridGristle, on 26 March 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

People seem to be worried that the Oculus Rift will no longer be about gaming and in a way I hope that happens. I want the Oculus Rift, and systems like it, to be as commonplace as basic computer monitors without the idea that it's only used for games by giant nerds. The average person ought to be able to look at a VR headset and think of it as they would any other appliance they have around the house. I don't see this as removing gaming from the Oculus Rift just like I don't see Farmville as removing gaming from LCD displays, I see it as expanding its potential and marketability.

Wow. so you prefer it a being another giant advertisement tool for facebook? Here come Zuckerberg, virtual reality, click here, just wait for an important message, and off you go.
Not sure what he is planing for this technology, but considering his business acumen and cleverness, the product will be anything like a pc, unless he can plant brand xyz in it..

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I fucking love Daedolon.

The prospects of this are terrifying to me.
Mind you I'm a paranoid schizophrenic who thinks They Live is a documentary.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Anyone here ever read Masters of Doom?

Posted Image

"If you ever ask me to patent anything, I'll quit."

What the hell happened man?

User is offline   Malgon 

Facebook Stock Closes Down 7 Percent Following Oculus Acquisition

Edit: Here's another article talking about how the acquisition came about.

http://www.gameinfor...ndex=2#comments

This post has been edited by Malgon: 26 March 2014 - 11:47 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Posted Image

So they basically admitted taking the most anti-social piece of technology and trying to turn it into some kind of a social experiment.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 27 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

Facebook overpaid hella for this thing. Every time this company buys someone out they overspend on it and fuck themselves.

They could have spend $250m on this and called it a day.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

"Lets make online social networking in 3D."

Fucking go outside.

User is offline   Malgon 

Michael Abrash has left Valve and now joined the Oculus VR Team according to this article. I'm guessing this will be the first of many new hires.

Now Oculus VR employees is starting to get death threats.

CEOs need to think thrice a/b acquiring companies like this so they won't get a huge backlash.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 30 March 2014 - 06:21 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Yeah, it is totally CEO's fault of legitimately acquiring the company and then receiving death threats.

View PostMalgon, on 28 March 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

Michael Abrash has left Valve and now joined the Oculus VR Team according to this article. I'm guessing this will be the first of many new hires.

Wow! Quite a power density at Occulus between him and Carmack. I read the lion's share of his "Zen of Graphics Programming" (he talks about Quake's development at length in the 2nd ed) over 10 years ago. That guy is a god with assembly language.

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 30 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostKathy, on 30 March 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

Yeah, it is totally CEO's fault of legitimately acquiring the company and then receiving death threats.
I totally agree with and support this sarcasm. :)
I don't believe I am implying anything ban-worthy here, but this is what I consider a "flaw" in the thought process of those who might threaten someone under these conditions such as these.

Quite frankly, anyone can have someone else killed for a very small amount of money or crack-cocaine or whatever is desired. Personally, I am not deterred directly by this when stating my view or reacting to someone elses view I don't agree with, but I don't make death threats either... but if I was making death threats (which I would never do, I would just do it without warning) I would seriously consider who I might be dealing with. If someone threatens myself of my family, I just take care of it. I don't believe in threats. I pick my battles very carefully and I don't make emotionally based decisions with a great deal of consultation with my logical side, BUT I don't sit around and wait to see if a threat is real or not. What I learned from personal experience is ironically similar to what is joked about in this thread already... when you are on their doorstep without warning, everything changes. When calm in these situations, I think it is either scary, or they realize that your seriousness (psychosis maybe?) is in excess of their own. The vast majority are empty threats of course, but there can be those willing to carry it out as previously stated. Most serious persons don't threaten in my experience.

Another serious point here is that trying to control others with threats is a poor practice anyway. I don't consider threats a valid way to convey things I believe in, even if it carries the potential or seriousness of homicide.

The point I am trying to take is this... People with a great deal or resources and or power in other ways, you MIGHT not want to screw with. These people just spent 2B on something, so I am guessing they have some money left... what would you pay to insure, just in case, that your family and friends were safe from people who may wish to do you harm?

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 30 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options