• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Oh boy, Bethesda's going to milk the shit out of this game with microtransactions:

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Hey, there's good news too:

This cover is a fucking masterpiece.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostZaxx, on 18 October 2019 - 11:44 PM, said:

Oh boy, Bethesda's going to milk the shit out of this game with microtransactions:

What else is new.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I know that you hate everything that exists but you know, some of us still like to be hopeful sometimes. :o

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Slowly it's getting ridiculous with this microtransaction/DLC insanity. They are taking a finished game apart, see which pieces they can sell separately or invent more or less useless extras they think players want so badly they pay extra. God, they even recycled the term "Master Level" for one lousy bonus map. That's just so pathetic.

I really miss the times when they released a game WITHOUT cutting it in advance and later (if sales were decent) you would get a mission pack/CD with a decent amount of content. It wasn't always a pleasing package, but it was often a lot more than what you get now, and with adequate pricing. Now it's all about paying as often as possible for little things.

I wrote before I am not going to preorder this after what they did with Youngblood, and it looks as if it's the right call. It's better to replay Doom 2016 once more to enjoy the last title before Bethesda completely succumbed to the dark side of DLC milking. From what I can tell right now, Doom Eternal can be summed up like this for me: No Steam sale, no purchase.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 October 2019 - 04:10 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, looks like I'm waiting for a discounted GOTY complete pack in about 5 years. That's really disappointing.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostZaxx, on 19 October 2019 - 12:57 AM, said:

I know that you hate everything that exists but you know, some of us still like to be hopeful sometimes. :D

I don't though, I look forward to many games, if anything. :o I just know what to expect from ZeniMax or pretty much from many other publishers alike, so far my expectations were always on point (unfortunately), now they just have to shove down our throats political propaganda on top of everything, something which I hope they won't going to do, by I have my doubts after the latest Wolfenstein.

I mean, don't tell me you absolutely did not expect something like this to happen. It was so predictable, I'm actually tired of this shit. But people probably going to support this shit anyway, so it's irrelevant.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 19 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostSledgehammer, on 19 October 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

I mean, don't tell me you absolutely did not expect something like this to happen.

That would depend on when you asked me honestly. One month ago? Sure, I expected it then. 2 years ago? Nope.

The thing is that with the Wolfenstein games, Doom 2016 and Prey they knew the target audience pretty well in that we don't like this microshit and they acted accordingly. Fallout 4 was full of this shit even back in 2015 yet their FPS titles stayed pure up until Youngblood.

What I think is happening now is that Bethesda wants to milk the shit out of Eternal because in the last 1.5 - 2 years they only managed to put out bad or unsusccessful games. No matter what the marketing says Fallout 76 must have been a huge flop for them so now they want to make up the lost revenue from other games. To make things worse there is simply nothing in the pipeline now so chances are that their 2020 performance largely depends on Eternal making a ton of money. That's why Youngblood received microtransactions and that's why the same shit is coming to Eternal.

I really think that without the failure of Fallout 76 (and the moderate failure of QC, Wolf TNC, Prey, RAGE 2 etc.) we wouldn't see this stuff today.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 19 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostSledgehammer, on 19 October 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

But people probably going to support this shit anyway, so it's irrelevant.

I'm not that sure about that. Pre-ordering seems good value simply because you get Doom 64 too but the rest of it is the typical "we do some promotion to make worthless shit look valuable" scenario other publishers love to pull you in with. Skins for Doomguy? That's worthless for single player since you don't care much about your character's looks in an FPS and everybody just wants the iconic Doomguy / Slayer look anyway. Classic sounds? You turn that on for 15 minutes for a laugh and just go back to the modern sound design, it's worthless content.

When it comes to skins their sales will largely depend on Battlemode, the multiplayer mode where players do want to look flashy. Now the thing about Battlemode is that it looks cool for a few hours of playtime but it also seems deeply flawed: everybody wants to be Doomguy, nobody will want to play as nameless, random demons especially since their gameplay doesn't seem that interesting. Of course there's a chance that it will be something awesome and there will be a long time playerbase for it but it doesn't seem like it.

So my bet is that that most people will buy the game and they'll buy the campaign DLC but they won't care about the rest.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 19 October 2019 - 04:55 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Youngblood was a test balloon. They wanted to see how far they can go with microtransactions without risking damage to a franchise. Since Youngblood was rather a spinoff to the Wolfenstein series, they could use it as their sandbox. It looks like Doom Eternal will be the first big victim of the next stage in DLC milking.

Honestly, these days I am playing little else than community-created content for Doom 1+2. Never ever has there been more gameplay value for any other games out there. Community creates infinite supply of new levels and mods. Companies like Bethesda take full control of "custom" content (which is only coming from themselves), dictating to players what they are supposed to want. Not my cup of tea.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 October 2019 - 02:41 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Still looks like ass. I have no idea what settings they opted for but it's clearly not helping the game's aesthetic.

I hope the bright lighting and green blood are just for the trailer, and if that's the case, why show it like that? it looks bad.

This post has been edited by AlektorophobiA: 22 October 2019 - 09:15 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Ehh I'll still play it. Never played the original. Maybe for a bit but I have no memory of it. It looks fine to me. Not a fan of really dark games anyway and the Switch's screen is dim enough as it is on max brightness. I call this a good move. Besides, maybe there's an option in-game.

User is offline   Cherno 

Sprites and bilinear/trilinear filtering just doesn't mix IMHO :o

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostCherno, on 22 October 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

Sprites and bilinear/trilinear filtering just doesn't mix IMHO :o

So you didn't even care for the original Doom 64 release then.

"Dad, i did hurt myself falling from the bike, why does my blood is not green like on that game?"
"Because some people pretend that we are daltoinc nowdays, son"

"Dad i did a search on the internet and looks like this game it came from a time machine, videos are from 2011 and the blood is red"
"Because that was the game in the old days, nowdays they pretend that men wear women's socks, you know son? If you don't you are wrong"

"No dad, i wanna be a badass!"

"Me too son, but we are a very few thinking like that on this world"
Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

According to Stephen Kick on Twitter the blood colour is a changeable setting in the game between green and red. Yeah, apparently it's in the KEX engine.

https://twitter.com/...671452017197057

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostAlektorophobiA, on 22 October 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

I hope the bright lighting and green blood are just for the trailer, and if that's the case, why show it like that? it looks bad.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 October 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

According to Stephen Kick on Twitter the blood colour is a changeable setting in the game between green and red. Yeah, apparently it's in the KEX engine.https://twitter.com/...671452017197057

You can actually see both green and red blood in the trailer.

• The Sarien Encounter

So there is. I guess it's easier to notice things that you're not used to than the other way around in a fast cut trailer.

I've seen Doom: Annihilation. While it feels more Doomish than the other Doom movie, and it's clear that the people who worked on it are at least familiar with the material, I have 2 major gripes with it (besides the low budget).

1) All the various references to the games don't feel like part of a coherent world, nor do they feel like "Heh, see what we did there?" No, they are obnoxious, in your face, and feel like "HEY! LOOK AT WHAT WE DID THERE! IT'S RIGHT THERE, LOOK AT IT, GODDAMNIT!!!"

2) It literally feels like half a movie. Either the authors wrote themselves in a corner and gave up, or production ran out of money mid-shooting and decided to just release what they had completed.

User is online   zykov eddy 

So I've been playing some of the classic 90's Doom wads, and for some reason I keep finding these weird jokes, mocking the upcoming game Duke Nukem 3D. Was there a stigma against Duke in Doom community back then?

Memento Mori 2
Posted Image

Eternal Doom
Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 23 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Why are you guys bitching about the color of the blood in Doom 64?

The green blood is from the Japanese version

The trailer is just showing off one of the settings

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View Postzykov eddy, on 23 October 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

So I've been playing some of the classic 90's Doom wads, and for some reason I keep finding these weird jokes, mocking the upcoming game Duke Nukem 3D. Was there a stigma against Duke in Doom community back then?

Actually, both MM2 and Eternal Doom were released shortly after Duke3D's release. I guess it was a reply to the "Thats one Doomed space marine" reference present in Duke3D.

That "Duck Nukem" gave me a good laugh though.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Is "Duck Nukem" also a reference to Unforgiven (1992) in which the Gene Hackman character insists on mocking the "The Duke of Death" as "The Duck of Death"?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I don't think there was a stigma against Duke. They are just witty references. Remember that even Duke says, "I ain't afraid of no Quake".

I don't know about anything against Duke, but they did have a stigma against people using the Shadow Warrior uzi in their weapons mods. That's not really anything against it itself, just by how many weapons mods had it.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

New Doom Eternal footage that features a "ice bomb", an improved HUD, and a look at some new level bits.

https://clips.twitch...picCocoaMingLee

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

In Doom 2016, did they ever allow the bots (computer controlled enemies in multiplayer) to be used in offline mode by just one human? So that basically we could use bots as they've mostly always been used in other games, so that one person can play multiplayer without needing other people to play against?

It baffled me that they made the bots unavailable to matches that didn't contain at least two humans.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

You could always play bots solo since they were added. I did that the day they came out.
IIRC they might've only worked in just basic deathmatch modes and I don't remember if you had to be connected online or not.
You get no progression so you can't unlock anything making them fairly pointless.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 27 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options