Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 156 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm sure I must not be the only one around here to be into Doom and Doom user made content as well.
This thread could also be an opportunity for more people to check on some good Doom stuff. (I also made a DN3D thread on Doomworld but I don't update it often)

----------

Lately I've been playing Pirate Doom, a 13 maps wad centered around the theme of pirate and it's pretty damn good!
There is a couple of 'joke' maps which aren't as good, as well as a few others which aren't as good as the rest, but overall it's high quality stuff and I recommend it.
Download link : http://confrariadaco.../PirateDoom.zip (requires GZdoom)

Screenshots :

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Thats really cool. It's got a very 'sphax-minecraft' look to it. It just looks like a different game. It looks really cool with stylized textures.

Makes you wonder what you could make with EDuke and Polymer if people could kick the whole "16 pixel 8 bit" texture fixation and go with a sphax/warcraft style texture pack. I bet it would look really cool.

User is offline   MetHy 

Yes it looks really cool, and it's got fun weapons as well (although they are on the overpowered side) some more screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

A lot of that art looks like it's from Outlaws. Same style anyway.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Recently I've stumbled upon a project called Serious Sam: The Retro Encounter, which is, obviously, a Serious Sam TC. Haven't checked it out yet though.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 March 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

A lot of that art looks like it's from Outlaws. Same style anyway.

The shotgun and gattling gun are. The dynamite stick launcher uses some too.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 21 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The Retro Encounter isn't unlike what I'm kind of working on for a WGR2 episode, unfortunately as you can imagine several problems came up since I was using polymer for it. I still intend to finish it some day.

Also that pirate thing kind of reminds me of the Monkey Island series. A Monkey Island adventure game from a first person perspective could be cool.

Here's a gameplay video sample of my SS episode. There's a bunch of other half-finished maps that I could probably finish off without too much trouble if I had the time (a big problem right now) and the motivation (a big problem as long as polymer is unoptimised and has that draw distance).

This post has been edited by Micky C: 21 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

shameless plug here too :blink:

http://forums.duke4....ease-knee-deep/

It's a project Micky C and I did in 2012, the first episode of DooM in WGR2 with polymer lights.

It's only a shame you can't fight the unique monsters from the Freak Show level, though. I was expecting them to pop in to put the new weapon to good use instead of just some side wall monsters.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostTea Monster, on 21 March 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Thats really cool. It's got a very 'sphax-minecraft' look to it. It just looks like a different game. It looks really cool with stylized textures.

Makes you wonder what you could make with EDuke and Polymer if people could kick the whole "16 pixel 8 bit" texture fixation and go with a sphax/warcraft style texture pack. I bet it would look really cool.

interesting also how stylized graphics vs going for realism ages way better a good example is deus ex 1 vs system shock 2 both excellent games however, SS2 still look pretty damn good and still spooky as fuck, deus ex didn't age so well.

I think Mirrors edge has had some of the best use of stylized graphics to date i think it will still look great for years to come, the problem with the realism route is the next day someone else does something better and makes the prior king engine of "realism" pale in comparison, a stylized game never gets caught in that race.

This post has been edited by Stabs: 23 March 2014 - 12:18 AM

The great thing I have to say a/b Doom; Is that the PS1 Doom/Final Doom (not to mention Doom 64) are the best console Dooms ever. IMHO Aubrey Hodges SFX & Music runs circles around Bobby Princes music & SFX. The eerie architecture & remade monsters of Doom 64 will give the PC original's a good bitchslap.

Saturn Doom is hands down; the most worst (if not horrid) Doom port ever. Good thing I'm selling it on Amazon.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 23 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDustFalcon85, on 23 March 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

Saturn Doom is hands down; the most worst (if not horrid) Doom port ever. Good thing I'm selling it on Amazon.

Have you tried the NTSC-J release of Saturn Doom? It's different from the US one.

It definitely seems to be the most slapped ass of the ports, even the SNES version ran okay and it's by far the weakest system that managed to get an official port. Given how well Duke 3D runs on Sega Saturn, there's no reason for Doom to lag this much on it except that they likely just slapped on the Ps1 version while only removing the colored lighting.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 23 March 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

Given how well Duke 3D runs on Sega Saturn,

Saturn Duke 3D, Powerslave, and Quake run on Lobotomy Software's SlaveDriver engine.

I'm aware of that but I think my point remains. While it's stripped of almost all moving sectors, it's certainly up to Doom levels of complexity and with colored lights at that, it runs just fine. Even worse is that the 32x, which should be a weaker system than the Saturn since it was an earlier console add-on by the same company, has a port of Doom that runs with a much better framerate, albeit with a trimmed screen size.

This post has been edited by MetroidJunkie: 23 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

View PostHendricks266, on 23 March 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Have you tried the NTSC-J release of Saturn Doom? It's different from the US one.

No I have not. Sega Saturn is not region free w/o the Action Replay 4M cart. Even w/ the improved framerate on the Japanese Saturn Doom Hendricks. It still miles away from the PS1 version. To make matters worse the back on the American Saturn Doom case art has screenshots from Final Doom and no levels of them in the game and has multi-player but it doesn't. That's false advertising there! What drugs was Rage Software on when they designed the box art on the back?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 23 March 2014 - 06:31 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostStabs, on 23 March 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

I think Mirrors edge has had some of the best use of stylized graphics to date i think it will still look great for years to come..... a stylized game never gets caught in that race.

Jet set Radio, and Team fortress 2 also look great despite age.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 23 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

User is offline   Cage 

View PostTea Monster, on 21 March 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Hey! I don't mind people working in 32bit and polymer, I'm just not interested in working on a project like that at the moment. :)

View PostStabs, on 23 March 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

interesting also how stylized graphics vs going for realism ages way better a good example is deus ex 1 vs system shock 2 both excellent games however, SS2 still look pretty damn good and still spooky as fuck, deus ex didn't age so well.

Deus Ex works great without any addons, System Shock 2 however, might be the only game I consider it's "to be played" with the texture/model upgrade. While the models are somewhat controversial (personally I think they're very good), the texture pack is spot on - higher resolutions staying true to the original. Actually, I recall reading somewhere that the original authors were kinda off in their calculations and made the game over optimized - the assets could have more detail/resolution and it run decently on the PC's of the time.

As for Doom stuff, there's plenty to choose - tons of map packs and a little less mods/tcs but still. I can recommend almost everything awarded with a cacoward. One of my favorite map sets is Suspended in Dusk and I highly recommended. If you want something totally different from Doom, but using the engine, check out Action Doom 2 or Adventure of Square (Demo at the moment).

Since everybody is doing it, might as well plug the Doom projects I'm part of:

Supplice is a megawad with a completely custom texture and weapon set, there will be other additions as well!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hacx 2.0 is the remake of the original Hacx game, the way it should be - based on the original design docs and with blessing of one of the original team members. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Hong Kong/China episode

User is offline   MetHy 

Damn those look really nice!

Btw I don't believe EVERYTHING awarded by a Cacoward is worth playing. If you ask me Swim With The Whales from the latest cacowards is one the worst, most pretentious, wad I've EVER played.

• Polymancer

I dabble in the Doom scene and I had no idea they made stuff like that. I'm going to have to grab a few of those tonight - they look beautiful.

How are they doing the hanging signs in the Hacx shot?

EDIT: 100% what Stabs said about stylized graphics in games.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 24 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

South Park Stick of truth will also be timeless, that game can never age, i think its the height of perfection in terms of stylization

and yeah TF2, stylizing helped that game in the long run, it can't look out dated.

sure SS2 needs some texture and model mods / texture mods mainly just fix up the panels, i guess deus ex problem is they used to much brush based constructions for things that should be models, both games are so great still they are probably my favorite games ever made, i liked how it didn't get to caught up in balance shit, to balance out how powerful you got to keep it challenging, fuck that shit, i put in the hours to get the extra XP, items all the other BS you asked for and you just level out the enemies again so its a challenge.

FUCK YOU

I think alot of the appeal of early RPG games where how OP you could get if you put in the hours, now the most you get for putting in the hours is monsters still as powerful and you get to light up a shitty icon that no one gives 2 fucks about saying you achieved something.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostCage, on 24 March 2014 - 12:48 AM, said:

Supplice is a megawad with a completely custom texture and weapon set, there will be other additions as well!

Looks pretty cool, I didn't know about that one. Thanks for telling about it :)

Also I did not realise that WIP versions of HacX 2.0 are publicly available. Those shots are awesome :)

• Polymancer

Disappointed to find out that half that stuff hasn't been issued yet :) Been going through a few of the recent Cacowards.

I'll have to grab Hacx, it looks very nice.

User is offline   Malgon 

Man, the art style in Pirate Doom looks really cool. I'm definitely going to have to try that out. Supplice and Hacx 2.0 look very cool as well. I didn't realise there was so much neat stuff for Doom!

Probably an obvious one to mention is Brutal Doom which seems to be fairly popular these days. It's worth checking out at least once (I actually only just played it for the first time yesterday). According to the installation guide it plays best with GZDoom or Zandronum.

If you're looking for something totally over the top with regards to weapons then have a look at Russian Overkill. You'll probably want to match it up with something like the Nuts series of wads to actually make it worthwhile. I tried these both with GZDoom and didn't encounter any issues.

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm generally not interesting in weapons mod. What I want is good level design. If the levels come with their own weapons and monsters, then why not, but, while they do offer more diversity, it happens very often that there is something wrong with those, like an overpowered weapon that doesn't feel satisfying or powerful at all, or monsters that have WAYYY too much health (and a zillion of that monster type in the map).

I have played some mods with good, well balanced, new monsters and weapons though, but I've played so many wads that I don't even remember the names (and I generally have a very poor memory for names)

Lately I've played Threshold of Pain which is a good examples of what I've said above : there is a new weapon that's very powerful and which have a high fire rate, but which feels like SHIT to play with. It's a hitscan weapon and where you hit something it literaly sounds and looks like crap.
There is also this new minigun (see pic) with a higher firing rate which is evened out by having to wait a little before being able to shoot again or switch weapon after firing, which I guess is supposed to be some cooldown effect, but there is no sound or animation to represent that cooldown...
Some of the new monsters are pretty cool (although generally they are only normal monsters with different palettes except with faster mobility and firing rate, but well, it works) but some of them like the new "big-monsters-from-Doom-2-that-shoots-fireballs-from-their-two-armcannons" and the new Cacodaemons have WAYY too much health.

The levels are okay. The mappers used some creepy ambient music and every level has some kind of original color palette (like the whole level is colored like that, can't really describe it, just see pic) and he seems to believes that alone will make the levels interesting. While it does work for a while in terms of atmosphere, the basic and squarish level architecture and layout, the way levels drag on (which again is not helped by some of the new enemies with more hp) and the flaws of the 2 new weapons, ultimately come back to your face and overall it's a pretty average wad.
I don't exactly recommend it, there are much better stuff to play out there which succeed in every aspect.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20140322_214655.png

This post has been edited by MetHy: 26 March 2014 - 04:13 AM

• Polymancer

I love the custom palette on that last pic. Shame about the level design.

Here are some critters I've created for Doomsday's new renderer.

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Malgon 

That Cacodemon looks badarse!

Those Caco and Spiderdemon models look great. The Spiderdemon looks better than the ones in the current Doomsday/Risen3D model packs (standard model pack, and "enhanced" model pack).

User is offline   MetHy 

One thing I really find extremely fun in Doom are the small HP and Armor pick ups (the ones that only give you 1hp/armor but that can go over the 100hp limit). I find managing those in a single player really fun (avoid them and only pick them up once I'm at 100 hp, then try to pick up as much as possible without getting too much dmg etc). If I ever make a duke3D mod/episode with custom code i'll totally use something similar. It adds a little more to hp management.

I've started playing Deus Vult II and it's really fucking good. The only thing I disliked was that there was a level with TONS of enemies in which gameplay was very limited, the mapper forcing you to use BFG exclusively for a moment and then it still remained limited to BFG/Rocket Launcher. I like gameplay more when there are more options.

Oh yeah another I disliked was the 'asian' level and its tons of sprite trees. The sprite trees tended to hinder gameplay.

Screenshots (with opengl rendered because I installed it using gzdoom and not zdoom, i didn't pay attention, but it doesn't require gzdoom).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MetHy: 28 March 2014 - 04:58 AM

I wrote up a blog on Doom a long time ago with many best-of-the-best wads and a slew of Megawads. At a minimum, it should make a good portal for anyone who wants to just get to the good levels and level portals. Enjoy! :

http://www.evil-soft...uary_2010_Games

View PostTea Monster, on 27 March 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

I love the custom palette on that last pic. Shame about the level design.

Here are some critters I've created for Doomsday's new renderer.

That Cacodemon is awesome!

View PostCage, on 24 March 2014 - 12:48 AM, said:

Hacx 2.0 is the remake of the original Hacx game, the way it should be - based on the original design docs and with blessing of one of the original team members. :)

What version of HacX is being shown in those images and where'd you get them from?

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 28 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options