Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 156 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

He literally answers your question where you quoted him.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostRunningWild, on 28 March 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

What version of HacX is being shown in those images and where'd you get them from?

Current builds of HacX 2.0 are available for download here.

User is offline   Cage 

Keep in mind it's nowhere near what the final experience will be.

View PostJimmy, on 28 March 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

He literally answers your question where you quoted him.

It does not. That link only has links to version 1.2 which is now old.

View PostCage, on 29 March 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Keep in mind it's nowhere near what the final experience will be.

Noted. Storming that Japanese/Chinese castle up on the cliff looks to be great fun.

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 29 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostRunningWild, on 29 March 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

It does not. That link only has links to version 1.2 which is now old.

He told you it's called HacX 2.0. The DRD Team link is the second result for the search term "doom hacx 2.0".

View PostJimmy, on 29 March 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

He told you it's called HacX 2.0. The DRD Team link is the second result for the search term "doom hacx 2.0".

That's different from a link. I asked him since he posted the images so I don't know why you're choosing to take issue with it. I've searched in the past for this upon discovery and found nothing. The actual site for HacX notes that their forum server was taken down at one point, so this is probably why.

19 December 2011
Hacx is still in production. Unfortunately, we lost the old forum for those of you who may have been keeping track of the team's project. DRDTeams has been nice enough to offer us forum space for continued chatter and development on the new versions of Hacx. Since DRDTeams is a Doom community, this new forum should promise to be much more active. See you there!
(Source : http://drnostromo.com/hacx/)

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 29 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

I've played the first map of Hacks 2 and it's fun and totally feels like it's on game running on the Doom engine, but still there is something that feels "off" about it but I can't put my finger on it. I'll wait for the finished product.

So instead I kept playing Deus Vult II, and holy shit was this map awe-some.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think Turbocharged Arcade! must be mentioned. Preposterous wad :

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 29 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Played this remake of the Downtown level from Doom 2 yesterday, which I thought was fairly cool. Download can be found here.

User is offline   -Rhetro- 

I have found I always play DOOM on my ipad more than any other app. I find it has the best control set up and sensitivity. (I had a real problem playing Duke3D on mine) Got to say, its pretty awesome and nostalgic popping that up on my phone or ipad whenever I am bored.

User is offline   Malgon 

Been playing Deus Vult II the last couple of nights (after seeing the cool shots MetHy posted), and I have to say it has been a lot of fun so far. The levels are full of imagination, and just the general feel and layout of them is impressive imo. There have been some very tough spots to get through (the Unholy Cathedral fight was extremely difficult), but for the most part the challenge has been fairly consistent. Now to try and get past the You Shall Not Pass! level!

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTea Monster, on 27 March 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

I love the custom palette on that last pic. Shame about the level design.

Here are some critters I've created for Doomsday's new renderer.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Good job, but they are quite different from the originals.

Here are some pictures of the Spider Mastermind clay model that was photographed to make the sprites. The chaingun and articulations are a bit different.

Spoiler

And here is a high resolution image of the Astral Dreadnought.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Fox: 02 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

While I am absolutely for making 3D model representations of Doom's monster sprites as accurate as possible, you can't always use pictures of the original latex and clay models as the sole reference. After the models were digitized, Adrian Carmack and Kevin Cloud heavily refined the art and changed several details. In the case of the Spider Mastermind, Tea Monster's model is faithful to the sprites as the chaingun was enlarged (probably because the original dinky one on the model was too small to see) and hand drawn caps were added to the hydraulic knee joints (likely omitted on the physical model for the sake of easy posing). As for the Cacodemon, there's only so much you can take from the original Astral Dreadnought reference since the Cacodemon is clearly a only a loose interpretation of a creature that's not just a big-mouthed floating tomato thingy. I'd say his model is right on the money.

User is offline   Fox 

You can tell what the differences are by just looking, so that's not really a problem. There are tons of details hard to see in the sprites, but that are there. For example, in the model you can see two small mechanical pieces below its arms, which is missing from Tea Monster's model because of how indistinguishable they are in the sprites. Plus it shows what the true colors are, before being converted to Doom palette.

I see in Tea Monster's Photobucket that he is making a Cyberdemon model too. Despite Doom II title screen, Cyberdemon's sprites and model doesn't have a nose, just nostrils.

Cyberdemon original sketch and unfinished model:
Spoiler

If I could pick any one Doom modder whom I'm most impressed with, it's definitely Doomero.

User is offline   Lunick 

In once tested his Doom 3 stuff in the classic Doom engines. Never got a chance to stay in contact though.

Funny thing is, a moderator on one of the Doom forums was going to move his post about that to the Doom 3 section, mistaking it for a Doom 3 related mod that was posted in the wrong spot. Since no Doom source port to my knowledge is capable of pixel shaders or the like, only able to have dynamic lighting for environments, that's quite a feat.

This post has been edited by MetroidJunkie: 03 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Isn't that just an HD sprite?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 03 April 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

If I could pick any one Doom modder whom I'm most impressed with, it's definitely Doomero.

Jesus that just looks terrible. Both in terms of looks and gameplay. So out of place.

Also I just don't see the point, if I wanted to play Mercenaries, there is enough mercenaries to play in between RE4 and the DS game.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Thanks for the pics of the Cyberdemon, I hadn't seen them before. I'm going to adjust the sculpt to more fit in with the concept. I've been going off the Doom 2 cover pic as that's basicly all I had to go on.

Normally, I try to use the sprite as a guideline. I've got those pics of the Spider Mastermind. I hadn't noticed the side pipes. I'll put them in. I thought that it looked rather like the model was kind of falling apart to be honest with you, with those animation connectors poking out of the bottom shell where the legs connected. Also, the shell is very very plain, with just some blue stripes on it for panel detail. For the legs, I've gone with the added details of the sprite which has black (plastic?) caps on the top of the legs to cover those wires poking out on the model.

My usuall approach to thsese things is to say to myself "What would they have done if they had today's tech when this was first made?" I don't usually want to stick slavishly to the sprites, I like to add some extra detail, if only just to add stuff that you could imagine was there (panel details, muscles, etc) that you can't see due to the resolution of the sprite. I also try to make the anatomy as realistic as possible within the confines of what sort of creature it is. I keep wishing I'd put proper 'goat's legs' on the Cyberdemon as trying to get those backward bendy legs to look like they actually have working muscles and bones inside is a pig. I imagine that trying to animate them is going to be a complete pain in arse.

So normally I don't tend to shy away from what I would think of as an 'upgrade'. I've got a partner on this who is like you in that the sprite is the last word so I've toned it down for this pack. I wanted to give the pinky demon some decent teeth and he wanted the old 'tombstones'. I thought it looked just rediculous like that so we compromised on something in between.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMetHy, on 04 April 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

Jesus that just looks terrible. Both in terms of looks and gameplay. So out of place.

Also I just don't see the point, if I wanted to play Mercenaries, there is enough mercenaries to play in between RE4 and the DS game.

He's done some other 'interesting' mods.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

That Mercenary one is interesting. The mercenary character is a completely different art style to the rest of the sprites.

Donkey Kong? In Doom? I think it would be more interesting to have him chucking Imps off the top of the building. I can just see a level of that with him on top of the Empire State building, trying to fend off circling cacodemons!

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMalgon, on 02 April 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

Been playing Deus Vult II the last couple of nights (after seeing the cool shots MetHy posted), and I have to say it has been a lot of fun so far. The levels are full of imagination, and just the general feel and layout of them is impressive imo. There have been some very tough spots to get through (the Unholy Cathedral fight was extremely difficult), but for the most part the challenge has been fairly consistent. Now to try and get past the You Shall Not Pass! level!

Ah didn't see this post. I actually gave up on this wad because I couldn't figure out what to do in the unholy cathedral. I went to both aisle of the cathedral, pushed some buttons, even went up to the bell tower and killed the cyberdemon and then killed the couple of new bosses (the red flying barons). After that, I'm clueless or what to do and been turning in round for ages. Do you remember what you did?

I also gave up because, while looking for what to do (which I didn't find) I found out that the wad seemed to turn into what looked like badly made slaughterfest, so I decided it wasn't worth it (but the start of the wad is definitly great)

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostFox, on 02 April 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

Good job, but they are quite different from the originals.

Here are some pictures of the Spider Mastermind clay model that was photographed to make the sprites. The chaingun and articulations are a bit different.

Spoiler

And here is a high resolution image of the Astral Dreadnought.

Spoiler

Tea Monster's model looks more like the Arachnotron. Perhaps that's what it's supposed to be? (EDIT: NVM, The eyes on his are red like the Mastermind's... A few little tweaks could make a perfect Arachnotron however.)
Posted Image

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 08 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostMetHy, on 08 April 2014 - 01:38 AM, said:

Ah didn't see this post. I actually gave up on this wad because I couldn't figure out what to do in the unholy cathedral. I went to both aisle of the cathedral, pushed some buttons, even went up to the bell tower and killed the cyberdemon and then killed the couple of new bosses (the red flying barons). After that, I'm clueless or what to do and been turning in round for ages. Do you remember what you did?

I also gave up because, while looking for what to do (which I didn't find) I found out that the wad seemed to turn into what looked like badly made slaughterfest, so I decided it wasn't worth it (but the start of the wad is definitly great)

Just give me a bit and I'll work out how I got through this for you.

Edit: Okay, here we go. I don't think there is a specific order you have to do things in order to complete the level, but I'll give you a rundown of what can be done to get through it. Some of this you may have already done, as you mentioned fighting the Cyberdemon and the Balrog (red flying barons), although it's possible you just did them in a different order to me. Just in case you haven't done it yet, you will need to access the cathedral area to obtain the red key, as this is essential to getting past the first lock at the exit. After that you can get either the blue or yellow key, or both of them if you like finding all the items. :)

To get into the cathedral area you'll need to lower the barriers which are blocking access to it. These can be lowered by stepping on the star symbols seen below:

(Please note that the symbols are red when they are not activated, and turn black once activated)

Posted Image

From what I have read there are 16 symbols in total throughout the level, but you only need to step on 9 of them in order to lower the barriers.

Once inside the cathedral area you will need to shoot the 2 small square buttons on the organ keys:

Posted Image

This will then bring the barriers back up, trapping you within the cathedral. Prepare for a huge fight with an exorbitant amount of monsters.

In the area directly behind the organ you can see the red key located above you:

Posted Image

Two doors will open either side of the key at a specific point in the battle, allowing you access to the key:

Posted Image

The doors seem to open once the wave of Lost Souls appears above the organ. The barriers should also drop back down allowing you some breathing room to get out of the congestion.

Another area which I'm not sure is essential, but may still be important in opening up previously blocked areas, or allowing you to locate enough of the floor symbols to get the cathedral to open, is through the cross below:

Posted Image

Just fire your weapon at it and it should open for you:

Posted Image

The blue key appears at the mouth of this entrance, after you have first entered into the area behind it:

Posted Image

I can't seem to find the yellow key for you yet, but I'm guessing it only appears like the blue key does after fighting a particular battle or completing a certain sequence of events. I'll let you know once I go back through the level more thoroughly and figure it out. If you still get stuck, or want to know about the exact locations of these screenshots, then let me know. Hope this helps to point you in the right direction!

This post has been edited by Malgon: 09 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

View PostCage, on 24 March 2014 - 12:48 AM, said:

Supplice is a megawad with a completely custom texture and weapon set, there will be other additions as well!

Supplice's visuals are awesome, and the custom textures and sprites look amazing. So do the monsters, but some of them seem to be edits of the original ones from the vanilla game. Do the developers aim to create a megawad that is made of 100% original content?

Anyway, the project is very nice, and also yay for MBF compatibility :)

User is offline   Cage 

View PostMrFlibble, on 14 April 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Supplice's visuals are awesome, and the custom textures and sprites look amazing. So do the monsters, but some of them seem to be edits of the original ones from the vanilla game. Do the developers aim to create a megawad that is made of 100% original content?

I'd love to, no idea if I'll manage though. When it comes to "low-tech" first person shooter graphics, monsters require the most work. I'm slowly working on monsters for Hacx 2.0 and I'm slowly building a workflow, so the chances of custom monsters in Supplice are getting higher!

View PostMrFlibble, on 14 April 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Anyway, the project is very nice, and also yay for MBF compatibility :)

Actually, keeping MBF compatibility really started to gave us a lot of headaches, so the project is likely to migrate to ZDoom/Eternity Engine dual compatibility. Don't worry, the idea behind Supplice is pretty much a classic Doom experience, so don't expect any crazy features - we're just going to use superior scripting instead of hackjobbery and custom in-game story texts (Impossible in MBF iirc)

This post has been edited by Cage: 14 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

I'd love to, no idea if I'll manage though. When it comes to "low-tech" first person shooter graphics, monsters require the most work. I'm slowly working on monsters for Hacx 2.0 and I'm slowly building a workflow, so the chances of custom monsters in Supplice are getting higher!

Would you consider doing a tutorial on that at some point in the future? Either that or maybe even just a video recording of you doing a single frame would be pretty neat/useful!

As Cage said, fully original monsters are the hardest asset to create for a 2D game. It's not a suprise that the majority of new enemies are either edited from originals or spliced together from different sprites (or taken from other games)

This post has been edited by James: 15 April 2014 - 03:34 AM

View PostCage, on 14 April 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Cool, good luck with your work!

Monsters have dozens of frames so they're really very hard to create from scratch.

Which is why HD sprite projects never go forward. And really, I think lowres 2D sprites still look fine to this day. Quake's models aged much more terribly compared to preceding games' sprites.

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options