• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah that's pretty annoying. Obviously it's nothing to do with the exchange rate since it actually says USD in the price.

Other sales places like greenmangaming.com allow you to buy the game at the actual American price (plus a 20% discount if you're a member) which is a massive saving for those of us down under.

Not that it really affects me though, I'm not all that motivated to play the game at this point in time. In fact my interest in gaming has diminished over the past year or so.

So the first couple of levels were very boring, but the game gets fun fast. I'm actually really liking the multiplayer as well; its fun, not laggy and over all isn't bad. I played around a bit with snapmap. I think the lack of being able to add custom content will hurt the new Doom modding scene.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 13 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

I posted earlier about skipping the intro videos. The correct launch command is +com_skipIntroVideo 1. RPS forgot the 1 on the end of it.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLunick, on 13 May 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

Bethesda are being really scummy towards Australians again. I showed Mr. Tibbs this article yesterday where the pre-order price was $79.95 USD here and then after launch it actually dropped to $59.95.

Well low and behold this morning, the price has gone back up to $79.95... Even Google is showing the old price...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hey......here in Canada the game price is $79.99 CAD and the season pass is $54.99.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 May 2016 - 06:02 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 May 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

Hey......here in Canada the game price is $79.99 CAD and the season pass is $54.99.

Canadian dollers? Big whoop.

Posted Image

Beat you by 3 cents bi-otch Posted Image (canadian dollar is essentially 1:1 to the australian at the moment).

We're paying $110 Australian for the core game, which is almost double the numerical value the US is paying.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 13 May 2016 - 06:09 PM, said:

We're paying $110 Australian for the core game, which is almost double the numerical value the US is paying.

If you really want it, you can get it for $59 from Big W for PC. It's too bad people will buy directly from Steam anyway and let publishers continue their reign.

• The Sarien Encounter

I just didn't understand why it said $39.99 for you while it was $54.99 for me. But now I see that it says USD and not AUD. But then....that's $79.95 USD. That's INSANE.

• The Sarien Encounter

I almost bought the game 3 times now with the GreenManGaming discount.....wife would never forgive me, though. And I wouldn't be able to play it anyway until I upgrade....then I'd have to spend another $250....not yet.

• Honored Donor

Yep, insane is the word.

Do you mean by accident? I got a game from there accidentally and was able to get a full discount.

• The Sarien Encounter

No. On purpose....

Yeah, the Steam price was one of the reasons I bought the game on GMG instead. It's even cheaper on G2A ($37 USD from what I remember)

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 13 May 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

It's even cheaper on G2A ($37 USD from what I remember)

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Bah they're sold out...

User is offline   ---- 

View Posticecoldduke, on 13 May 2016 - 04:51 PM, said:

So the first couple of levels were very boring ...

Reinstalling. And this gives me hope. :angry:

The hell levels are definitely where the game really shines. Once you get past the initial UAC base levels, the game is an absolute blast

• Honored Donor

View Postfuegerstef, on 13 May 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

Reinstalling. And this gives me hope. :angry:

Reinstalling 55gb? :S

User is offline   Malgon 

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Mea culpa! I was beyond skeptical about this reboot but I've really enjoyed my three hours with the singleplayer. Two big caveats: Tonally, it's nothing like any of the other Doom games, and it can feel a bit nu-metal lame at times. My biggest complaint is the lack of a memorable soundtrack. I'm happy every time I get a little taste of Doom 1 and 2 music, but the regular Doom 4 soundtrack hasn't been doing much for me.

The level design after the first few levels is great, though it mostly follows a pattern of setting up arena set pieces and then letting you loose versus dozens of demons. I appreciate that you have constantly be on the move. The powered-up ability to mantle up walls adds a lot to the game. I've found all the secrets in the first four levels and completed all the challenges bar killing two possessed with a single shotgun round (gave up!). The melee actually works surprisingly well. Jumping into the fray to acquire health with the finishers, and chainsawing those annoying shield guys for ammo power-ups remains enjoyable because the animations are so quick. I assume at higher difficulties there's more of a risk-reward tradeoff to this, because the more powerful an enemy is, the quicker the stun state ends, and the more likely you'll be overwhelmed.

The PC version is just sublime. Doom looks stunning on my 4790 and 970. Insane that the developers managed to pull this together considering Doom 4's development history and how atrocious the promotional material was. Overall, really impressed. Not going to be something I play for 20 years like Doom 1 and 2, but it's a good shooter which I wasn't expecting.

I'm afraid of reading posts for the past few pages because of spoilers, but I'm still thinking about getting the game.

For those who have already beaten the game; would you consider this game a true successor to Doom 1/2/Final, in that it has the same fast-paced action + puzzle gameplay like Quake and not "kill everything to move on to the next area" like Serious Sam or Painkiller like some have feared before the game's out?

Also, how's the multiplayer now?

View PostPikaCommando, on 14 May 2016 - 01:02 AM, said:

For those who have already beaten the game; would you consider this game a true successor to Doom 1/2/Final, in that it has the same fast-paced action + puzzle gameplay like Quake and not "kill everything to move on to the next area" like Serious Sam or Painkiller like some have feared before the game's out?

It's a bit of both, there are sections where you need to kill everything to move on, and areas where you don't. There's keycard/item hunting, and the action is very fast-paced

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 14 May 2016 - 01:10 AM, said:

It's a bit of both, there are sections where you need to kill everything to move on, and areas where you don't. There's keycard/item hunting, and the action is very fast-paced

Is the final boss

Spoiler

View Postdeuxsonic, on 14 May 2016 - 01:23 AM, said:

Is the final boss

Spoiler

If you really want me to spoil it:
Spoiler

Not really spoiling it for me, I had a strong suspicion already.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Speaking of spoilers

Spoiler

View PostCommando Nukem, on 14 May 2016 - 03:44 AM, said:

Speaking of spoilers

Spoiler

Spoiler

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm impressed with the map function in the game, which, from the TotalBiscuit video I watched, revealed a large multi-leveled labyrinthine map. If all the levels are lile that I have to give props to Doom for being the first modern AAA FPS game that I know of to have the most features from an old-school shooter yet.

So far it looks like this is what DNF should have been. And I never expected id to be the one to get it right.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 May 2016 - 04:48 PM

User is offline   Hank 

checked Steam, and is says CDN$ 79.99 - too rich for my taste Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 May 2016 - 05:29 PM

What's been going on in that legal battle? I haven't heard anything about it in a really long time.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 14 May 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

I'm impressed with the map function in the game, which, from the TotalBiscuit video I watched, revealed a large multi-leveled labyrinthine map. If all the levels are lile that I have to give props to Doom for being the first modern AAA FPS game that I know of to have the most features from an old-school shooter yet.

So far it looks like this is what DNF should have been. And I never expected id tp be the one to get it right.

The Metroid Prime-esque map is amazing! It's neat the game gives you the option to fill in the missing details either by searching for elite guards to upgrade the map (at the cost of other abilities) in order to reveal all the secrets, or hunt around for the map station which can be pretty well hidden. The game's great at sign-posting secrets. Most modern games would give you an obvious hint and your first thought would be to search the immediate area for the goodies. Doom, on the other hand, makes you backtrack and hunt around a bit which I really appreciate. Some aren't great, but finding a weapon a level before you pick it up in the story is a great reward.

Easily the best Bethesda-published game since Dishonored.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 13 May 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

killing two possessed with a single shotgun round

Use the burst shot.

Share this topic:

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options