Duke4.net Forums: Why was the nuke never used, but its assets left in the final game? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why was the nuke never used, but its assets left in the final game?

This just occurred to me after watching a video of the recent third-party DNF patch which reintroduces the console. I recall the nuke launcher back from the demo and the consensus was that it was meant to be used during the final battle. Yet the game was released and it became apparent it was inaccessible.

So what was the purpose of the nuke, why was it scrapped and since the assets are intact, was it a last minute change? As far as I recall, it's not in the DLC either.

This post has been edited by mechmorphix616: 15 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Unused assets probably get left in games all the time. Duke 3D definitely had some unused art and coded stuff in there.

For all we know it was meant to be a standard pickup just like in Shadow Warrior, however considering that DNF hardly has any secrets, and that you never face more than a small handful of enemies at a time, the nuke would have been fairly useless.

User is offline   Jblade 

We can only guess - there may be unseen bugs with it, or they didn't have time to test things properly. The only thing that could be done is ask a developer who worked on it, and they might be able to say why.

User is offline   necroslut 

IIRC it was selectable in the Build Jace Hall played/showed. It was probably removed when the weapon limit was implemented, due to there not being a weapon inventory anymore.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

There's no where in the game where you could really even use a nuke. There are like what, two large environments in the whole game? Cut stuff gets left in games all the time. Like Micky said, Duke3D was FILLED with cut things.

User is offline   necroslut 

I wonder if the enemy count was cut down at the same thing as everything else (enemies, weapons, levels etc).

Yeah, almost every game out there will have cut stuff left hidden in the files.
It's not uncommon.

Serious Sam 2 has a bunch of cut stuff left in it such as weapon files, art and enemy stuff.

User is offline   Psyrgery 

Was meant for Giant Battlelord fight at Hoover Damn. Sadly it was scrapped (along with anything that looked remotedly funny or interesting). It's all in Broussard's bin. Yup.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostDamien_Azreal, on 16 March 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

Serious Sam 2 has a bunch of cut stuff left in it such as weapon files, art and enemy stuff.

Serious Sam 2 should have been cut completely.

View PostDaedolon, on 18 March 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

Serious Sam 2 should have been cut completely.

I disagree. If it would have been cut entirely, then we would not have a perfect historical example of how funny immature humor inside an fps game, can devolve into a brightly colored childish shitfest.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 06 April 2014 - 01:34 AM, said:

I disagree. If it would have been cut entirely, then we would not have a perfect historical example of how funny immature humor inside an fps game, can devolve into a brightly colored childish shitfest.

It is also a good example what happens when a stupid publisher* takes over. Croteam is not happy with SS2 and 2K later took over and handled the media releases. No wonder that Croteam thinks about remaking SS2 in the look, feel and mood of SS1 and BFE (but it is a low priority project for them).

*) which 2K definately is

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostJimmy, on 15 March 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

There's no where in the game where you could really even use a nuke. There are like what, two large environments in the whole game? Cut stuff gets left in games all the time. Like Micky said, Duke3D was FILLED with cut things.

Cool... :)

View PostDamien_Azreal, on 16 March 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

Yeah, almost every game out there will have cut stuff left hidden in the files.
It's not uncommon.

Not just games... as I don't work with games. I don't think I have worked with any large piece of software that didn't have at least SOME stuff left in that was either for potential later additions or simply capped unfinished options. With some of the highly modular and scalable database stuff I have worked with, it can be a HUGE amount.

I remember using the a Nuke in Shadow warrior I think... maybe in multiplayer. Was it in the single player game also?
Might have been an mod or something else I am remembering though. I have not played Shadow Warrior in TOO long.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 06 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

^Yeah the nuke was one of the firing modes on the Missile Launcher.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Oh yeah! Cool... thanks for the video example Malgon.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I'm just gonna throw this out there.

The location the nuke was to be implemented into was actually cut from the game. It was originally supposed to show up later in the game. I believe, on an alien planet/massive alien ship in space.

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View PostPsyrgery, on 17 March 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Was meant for Giant Battlelord fight at Hoover Damn. Sadly it was scrapped (along with anything that looked remotedly funny or interesting). It's all in Broussard's bin. Yup.

Quoting myself FTW

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Psyrgery: 23 April 2014 - 03:47 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options