Duke4.net Forums: Awesome 2014 Duke3D Live Speed-Run(with commentary) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Awesome 2014 Duke3D Live Speed-Run(with commentary)  "This guy is amazing!"

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Perhaps not a world record, but still pretty damn impressive considering the pressure of it being watched around the world in real-time, the immediate presence of the crowd behind him, and the whole relative spontaneity of the event. Oh, and of course knowing that his level of performance directly correlates with how much money will be donated to cancer prevention. And on top of that, the guy can simultaneously chat nonchalantly about the game and its time-saving exploits while almost flawlessly pulling them all off. His final recorded time is literally one half of the estimated playtime required for such a speedrun. Brilliant.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Posted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Nah man. LLCoolDave is a bad motherfucker. He's hopped on #eduke32 before, and his pal oasiz (mentioned in the video) has been helping with Total Meltdown.

*me looks at sig*

:blink:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Speedrunners/glitch junkies are weird.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Come on, Jimmy, that's disrespectful. I've talked to Oasiz and other speedrunners in the community. They're better than that.

Unless you really are just trolling for the heck of it.

And I will admit that some speedrunners are weird.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 11 March 2014 - 03:38 AM

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

His avatar is a picture of Eric Harris...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostComrade Major, on 11 March 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

Come on, Jimmy, that's disrespectful.

Jimmy being disrespectful... the horror.

User is offline   ---- 

I just came here because I thought "awesome" and "speedrun" in the same sentence/headline sounds weird ... and found what I expected. :blink:

User is offline   Kathy 

Why did you think that?

User is offline   uh . . . . 

Saying that speedrunning is autistic is like saying mapping is autistic. . . .

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm not sure you can compare creating new content to endlessly playing the same content over and over again as fast as possible.

• "Dick Nasty"

I've always been mesmerized by those who can accomplish things in a fraction of the time it would take me to do the same thing. Many video games are hard enough as is, but to find the fastest feasible route- taking into account the inevitable damage you'll take and how to tactically replenish health in a time-efficient manner- that truly boggles my mind. To me, it's really the ultimate test of game playing skill....not to mention sheer mental and physical stamina.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Well, I'm not sure but complete E1L1 by 21 seconds is very slow...

:blink:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 11 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

• Weaponized Autism

The record 11 second time is only on Come Get Some to allow jumping from the fire pit thing onto a trooper, then to the ledge. Everything else is fastest on Piece of Cake.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostJimmy, on 11 March 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

I'm not sure you can compare creating new content to endlessly playing the same content over and over again as fast as possible.

The two might not be comparable, but (and I hate to take the moral high road on this) speedrunning apparently has some audience since they just raised a million dollars for charity in AGDQ 2014.

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostHendricks266, on 11 March 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

The record 11 second time is only on Come Get Some to allow jumping from the fire pit thing onto a trooper, then to the ledge. Everything else is fastest on Piece of Cake.

Nope, the record is apparently nine seconds.

• Weaponized Autism

That's what I meant. :blink:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostComrade Major, on 12 March 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

The two might not be comparable, but (and I hate to take the moral high road on this) speedrunning apparently has some audience since they just raised a million dollars for charity in AGDQ 2014.

Even My Little Pony has an audience.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostJimmy, on 12 March 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Even My Little Pony has an audience.

That has got to be the pop culture equivalent of Godwin's Law.

User is offline   Malgon 

Wow, there is some crazy stuff going on there. :blink: Very impressive imo. Just finished watching the Doom speed run too, which was fairly cool. Now onto the Doom 2 speed run.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Personally I'm not a fan of speedy playthroughs myself, but I do appreciate professionally done fast playing.

However, the person in the video seems to be using some kind of an engine glitch to quickly move around the levels, and this kind of takes out the challenge of playing IMO.

I remember some time ago I stumbled upon a speedrun of Prince of Persia (the 1989 game that is) on YouTube. It turned out that the author of the video also used a glitch that allowed him to get past every guard without fighting. Sword fights are quite an important (and fun) aspect of gameplay in PoP , so skipping them seemed really pointless. That person could've just as well used cheats to get past the guards.

User is offline   Malgon 

I guess there are different classes of speed runs i.e. using engine glitches to skip huge portions versus racing through without exploiting anything. I suppose each of them has their own challenges to overcome, and I find them interesting for different reasons.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMalgon, on 13 March 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

I guess there are different classes of speed runs i.e. using engine glitches to skip huge portions versus racing through without exploiting anything. I suppose each of them has their own challenges to overcome, and I find them interesting for different reasons.

I agree that speedruns that are accomplished by the use of exploits are also interesting (I for one did not know of either glitch in the above video and in the PoP speedrun), and it's not that they do not require any skill to do properly. It's just that to me, playing a game means getting through the challenges that were consciously set up by the developers/level designers. If there's an unintended exploit that allows to somehow get around those challenges and obstacles, it takes away a bit of gameplay.

Of course, I do not oppose the idea of playing a game not in the way it was intended by the designers. If a game does allow for some creative approach that was not foreseen by its authors, ignoring it would be just limiting the scope of the game without real reason. However, personally I'd prefer a video playthrough where someone masterfully plays by the rules (preferably on higher difficulty settings), and manages to get through level in shortest possible time without actually rushing past anything.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Did he beat the game faster than Fernito?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Nah, It's not faster than Fernito. Difference in here is that he does it all in one go where Fernito grinded level by level and stitched the demos together to get a full playtrough.

There are a few new things that have been discovered since, allowing a faster time than what Fernito got.
Pogokeen on the Speed demos archive has already submitted a few improvements over Fernito's levels and LLCooldave also has made some improvements over his time.

He does use the megaton edition though which eases some glitches that are possible in 1.5 quite a bit. The E1L3 skip is megaton exclusive though.

Running for sure destroys the immersion and such from the game but in some ways it's like playing super meatboy or such where you master the game in a way where you can just rush trough everything and getting things done fast and optimized becomes a minigame of it's own. In SMBs case you grind a level until you get the cannon patterns, timing, placement, etc.. just precisely right.
It's not something that appeals to everyone and a lot of the runs actually look rather boring until you play the game enough to know why some specific things get done. Bunch of fun games never work when running them, some bad games might turn out to be a lot of fun when running. It's a lot of fun once you reach a point where you can just ridicule the game's AI and bugs to your own gain and just "dance" your way trough the challenges. Might sound really tedious but a lot of games become quite easy once you simply ignore the perceived challenge, just really numbing once you actually start to grind for a perfect time which is something that a lot of people don't take too far.

But enough of that. Glad to see that people enjoyed the run B)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options