Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Foothold - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Foothold

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Wasn't the Red 1 remake actually a full remake and not just a patched up version?

I'm not saying the map doesn't deserve fixing as it's got a unique style and some nice ideas going for it, just that mappers have limited time and you need to use that time to its maximum potential.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 07 March 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

I'm not saying the map doesn't deserve fixing as it's got a unique style and some nice ideas going for it, just that mappers have limited time and you need to use that time to its maximum potential.

that's not how i interpreted it.

View PostMicky C, on 07 March 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

..... that they should simply abandon the map and start something fresh and done properly from the ground up. It's much better than iterating the same thing over and over while still ending up with an at-best average product with the worst time invested to quality ratio ever.

i see potential for this map. it has a nice solid foundation and needs a good facelift, but not a complete remake. i also think the end result would be better than "at-best average".
that my opinion and i'm sticking to it

This post has been edited by Forge: 07 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That first paragraph was a generalization.

I was trying to speak from personal experience as I've wasted an unthinkable number of hours trying to iterate and polish maps which I'd started with a lower skill set using my latest skills, only to have my ability improve once again and restarting the iteration/polishing process. In hindsight I wish someone had slapped me in the face and told me to use my newer skills to make better maps from scratch, and indeed I probably could have made multiple better maps in the time I wasted polishing and iterating the earlier ones.

Who's to say when Drek's map will be polished "enough"? Of course I understand that just because it happened to me it won't happen to everyone. I was just trying to offer some friendly advice to Drek (and of course he seemed to be following that advice by not working even before I said it Posted Image ), since I know for a fact that he was a better mapper at the end of than he was at the start.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options