Duke4.net Forums: Serious Sam 4 coming Q4 2014 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Serious Sam 4 coming Q4 2014  "Croteam's working on a new IP"

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Although, pretty much nothing is known about Serious Sam 4, Roman has assured Seriously! that it is planned for release late this year (Q4). And no matter what you have heard.. there won't be any cowboys or big fluffy creepers in it.

Here's the biggest surprise of all: Croteam is working on a completely new IP and it is going to be awesome! If you have been following us on Facebook or Twitter then you would have seen our post on Tom Jubert's surprise announcement about the new game. Roman described it to us as a mixture between Portal and The Witness, which would make it a first-person adventure puzzle game. And according to Jubert this new game is going to have a type of humor that is very different from Serious Sam. This game is also slated for 2014 but with no specific time frame.

http://www.seriouszo...php?newsid=2001

That sounds like a pretty big departure. Still, I can't wait for Serious Sam 4.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I wonder if we'll actually get to see Mental this time.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 March 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Gonna go with... no.

If you are an Android user and haven't seen this article about the Tegra K1 yet, then you have a lot to look forward to. Serious Sam 3: BFE is going to hit the Android platform on any device that has the Tegra K1 (or higher) GPU in Q3-Q4 of 2014. That's right folks. A full-fledged Sam game is going mobile for the first time ever! Get excited!

Good fucking luck playing a game like Serious Sam 3 on a mobile device.

User is offline   Lunick 

I feel like it will be delayed to 2015 but that's just me.

• The Sarien Encounter

I hate mobile games. Touch controls anger me.

View PostLunick, on 05 March 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

I feel like it will be delayed to 2015 but that's just me.

Considering they actually announced it last year, and Devolver has said they like and prefer how Flying Wild Hog did their marketing. Nothing, until the game was basically finished. Then... release in a few months.
There's a strong possibility for it getting released this year.

But, most likely... in the same time frame that Sam3 was released. October of later.

• The Sarien Encounter

Secretly I hope that Half-Life 3 will just smash onto Steam randomly one day without any hype whatsoever.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I wonder how they're going to scale down SS3 to run on mobile devices. Not to mention the controls... they're going to have to change the gameplay a bit if they want the game to play smooth on a touch interface; it's almost impossible to port a PC game to a mobile device and have it feel natural, no matter how good the controls are. Something's gotta change.

Of course assuming the port is somewhat decent, I hope it also comes to iOS.

User is offline   Kathy 

It's probably better to announce and release within several months because hype builds very fast thought internet now.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 05 March 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

I wonder how they're going to scale down SS3 to run on mobile devices. Not to mention the controls... they're going to have to change the gameplay a bit if they want the game to play smooth on a touch interface; it's almost impossible to port a PC game to a mobile device and have it feel natural, no matter how good the controls are. Something's gotta change.

Of course assuming the port is somewhat decent, I hope it also comes to iOS.

Or you could use a controller.

• Honored Donor

Yeah, everyone has a controller for their tablets and phones these days.

User is offline   Lunick 

I wasn't aware every Android based device was a tablet or phone either :blink:

Although they are expensive for iOS, you can get a Xbox 360 controller for around $30, a $1 usb cable and play a lot of games on an Android device that has somewhat recent firmware.

• Honored Donor

Even still, they should make every effort to make it playable without any external hardware.

User is offline   NY00123 

It's implied here there is a great emphasis on environments with dedicated game controllers or similar:

http://steamcommunit...800447069641627

EDIT: Quoting for the sake of quoting:

AlenL said:

Da Doom Man said:

Specifaclly, how the hell will you do the controls?

For Sam, it will most definitely work best with a gamepad (or a keyboard+mouse :blink:). But with Android plugging in a gamepad or keyboard/mouse is just as transparent as on a PC. I think even in iOS you can get some gamepads lately, though not sure when it will boast HW as powerful as this one is.

But the main point is that the main target for Sam here is not playing on touchscreen (though we will no doubt enable that, just it won't be as practical), but any of the upcoming micro-consoles, made in the way Shield, Ouya or Mojo are layed out, or for use with things like Samsung Game Pad or iControlPad.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 06 March 2014 - 01:02 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 March 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Croteam mentioned in their Reddit AMA from June 2013 (right here) that seeing Mental would mean the end of the series.

I don't think they've planned on SS4 being the conclusion, but we'll see.

But yeah, they announced the game's existence a while ago. It's nice to see that they're narrowing down the timeframe between releases, compared to the gap between SS2 and SS3.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Postmechmorphix616, on 06 March 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

It's nice to see that they're narrowing down the timeframe between releases, compared to the gap between SS2 and SS3.

They wrote an entirely new engine in that time..... give them a break.

View PostReaperMan, on 06 March 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

They wrote an entirely new engine in that time..... give them a break.

Indeed they did, and I didn't mean to come off as smug or condescending.

The jump from SE2 to SE3 wasn't quite as dramatic, but they still did work on making HD remakes of the first two games and polishing the engine as much as possible.

2015 update: Serious Sam 4 now has a screenwriter.

Jonas Kyratzes, co-writer of the Talos Principal, joined the project.

"I was a fan of Serious Sam before I got to work with Croteam, so I must admit I was sort of hoping I might be involved with the next one if The Talos Principle went well. But more than that, we immediately clicked with the team, were treated like family, and really wanted to keep working with them," Kyratzes said. "Going to Croatia and working in the office just confirmed that."
Croteam offered no insight into what direction the plot to Serious Sam 4 will take (and that may be the most mind-boggling thing I've written all week), but said the Kyratzes are "shaping the story into something really awesome."

I guess there's a chance Devolver might publish two shooters next year.

As an aside, The Talos Principal started out life as Serious Sam 4.

In a GDC post-mortem for The Talos Principle titled “Reactive Game Development,” Croteam talked about how The Talos Principle spun out of development on the next Serious Sam game. While working on the “jammer” mechanic that eventually found its way into The Talos Principle, the Serious Sam team kept brainstorming new mechanics that seemed like a better fit for a new project. So they decided to start work on a completely new game.

• Honored Donor

A serious Sam game with a heavy plot? Could be interesting. I imagine it should also be skipable for those who don't care about story.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMicky C, on 26 September 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

A serious Sam game with a heavy plot? Could be interesting. I imagine it should also be skipable for those who don't care about story.

Then who care? It's always someone want to skip something.

Considering the "light or nearly 0 of (proper) plot" in good'ol Serious Sam series, I'm not surprised Croteam want to use the Talos Principle's style(even I think it was not runs very well for some reasons, I still a little confusing about its storyline, before I checked some web-pages and wiki...)

Where is that goddamned Mental? :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 27 September 2015 - 10:20 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

One thing is sure, whatever Serious Sam becomes, there will always be lots of wonderful mad hoard shooting, puzzles, wit, humour, and new interesting features. I don't care how they tell the story.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Normally i'm not into over simplifying things but uh:

You're Sam "Serious" Stone. There's a horde of alien bad guys between you and the exit, which is usually located somewhere in Egypt. Kill the bad guys.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

No relation to Blake?

View PostCommando Nukem, on 28 September 2015 - 04:09 AM, said:

Normally i'm not into over simplifying things but uh:

You're Sam "Serious" Stone. There's a horde of alien bad guys between you and the exit, which is usually located somewhere in Egypt. Kill the bad guys.

The storyline blurb for the original Serious Sam: The First Encounter release was over 5,000 words long:
http://www.croteam.com/game_story.shtml

And, of course, Serious Sam is known for its comprehensive enemy biographies courtesy of Netricsa's in depth analyses:
http://www.croteam.com/game_artwork.shtml

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMarphy Black, on 28 September 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

The storyline blurb for the original Serious Sam: The First Encounter release was over 5,000 words long:
http://www.croteam.com/game_story.shtml

And, of course, Serious Sam is known for its comprehensive enemy biographies courtesy of Netricsa's in depth analyses:
http://www.croteam.com/game_artwork.shtml

I remembered were read them when the old Croteam still exists about ~10 years ago...but just not read every words of them because my laziness & super-poor English at that time... :\

And then forgot them totally, only remembered the game barely explained about background story on intro movie...

Silly me. :)

Not really surprising to hear but SS4 will feature more on screen enemies at higher fidelity than ever before. The Serious Engine now supports photogrammetry and advanced motion capture techniques.

User is offline   Lunick 

I didn't realise SS4 will be set before SS3. Are we just gonna keep going backwards in time?

Serious Sam 4 > Serious Sam 3: BFE > Serious Sam: The First Encounter > Serious Sam: The Second Encounter > Serious Sam 2

User is offline   Oook 

View PostLunick, on 02 February 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

I didn't realise SS4 will be set before SS3. Are we just gonna keep going backwards in time?

It's very reasonable because only that way we have an excuse to visit Earth once again and see the long promised Eiffel Tower and maybe other recognizable landmarks.
They've stated that this time we'll see richer landscapes than the sands; a prequel to the defeat of the EDF in SS3 guarantees it.

Of course, they could just make Sam travel back in time once again or throw him in a parallel universe or whatever they want because who cares about the plot; but it seems they want to take it more seriously...

• Honored Donor

Yeah I don't know why everyone instantly assumed SS4 would be a prequel to SS3 back when they first said it'd be set on Earth (considering the planet was destroyed at the end of SS3). Clearly the first 2 games were set on Earth in the past, and presumably Earth is still around during and after the events of SS2. Of course they confirmed it Since then.

As for going further and further back in time; it seems like this game is set during the fall of earth's defenses? Really they can only go back one more game to Mental's first contact with humanity. Trying to squeeze any more prequel in there will just be bearing a dead horse. They need to move forward at some point.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options