Duke4.net Forums: Your Dream Game - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Dream Game

User is offline   Ronin 

I would really like a proper action/stealth/adventure game featuring the Predator. First and third person view point, a Mass effect 1 like planet exploring system but way more fleshed out. A database of extremely dangerous creatures to find hunt and kill and collect their skulls, but along the way an interesting story develops organically to keep thing moving forward, even though if you wish you can just hunt or do it in between missions. I would like it to start you as a Predator noob, you first have to prove yourself to your clan by a series of trials (you can skip it after the first time). There would be loads of customisation, the ability to go in heavy if you want, no mission failed for being spotted or crap like that.

You would be able to visit your home world when ever you like and learn of new interesting targets as well as compete in various arenas as well as interact with others of your species. Ship building, weapon building, stealing tech from other species and combining aspects of it with your standard weapons to create unique weapons to hunt and kill with.

A first person combat system similar to the sword play in Shadow warrior or maybe Riddick combined with the shooting of a game like Duke 3D or Unreal. No regen health, just an awkward healing system like in the movies where you have to find materials to combine with your kit to heal yourself, this would not be annoying because as a Predator you're pretty tough to begin with. Also a survival system where you need to eat, cook, rest etc. If you run out of ammo on an alien planet, it's time to go old school and fashion weapons from the environment. Also you could fashion traps and lures.

The game would also feature creatures that hunt you even when you think it's you that's hunting them. If caught by humans you would be taken to a lab and experimented on and eventually killed unless you can find a way to escape. The creatures would be extremely varied and never look exactly the same, something like randomly generated body types, heads, textures, abilities, as well as various sizes, and both male and female types could make each hunt unique. You would not only hunt monster aliens but also more intelligent humanoid species with their own citys and cultures for you to visit and hunt their best or worst which ever way you look at it. Though visiting worlds with intelligent races is more risky as they will have advanced weapons and security systems that increase the chances of being found and killed or captured, but you stand to acquire new tech and intel.

A perma death system might be fun, if you are killed on a planet or anywhere else, then that's it, that Predator is gone for good and one of his relatives takes up the hunt, you would have access to most but not all of the previous Predators gear and his/her upgraded ship should you be able to locate it on the planet when he died. This cycle would continue until you became really, really good and the tension of a hunt would be through the roof knowing that a character you invested so much time in could die forever if he wasn't careful. Of course with mechanics like these the game could not allow cheap deaths as that would be too frustrating. It would be a hard game with no easy mode, and as a result incredibly rewarding. Because of the perma death system fleeing is always an option, but if you do you must return home to face the shame and be mocked by other of your species.

In time, after being alive long enough and having achieved many successful hunts, you would become a feared and famous Predator, and this would be reflected in the respect shown to you on your home world where you would be treated as a warrior god with your choice of any dwelling in the city and access to extremely powerful technology. I would also like if you would get scarred from fights and maybe even lose limbs and have to return home to have surgery, you might need a cybernetic arm for example that could make you aim better and you punch harder but would also require maintenance to keep in good working order.

You would have to plan for each excursion, if you haven't planned correctly for visiting and ice world for example you will run into problems that would make progress very difficult, maybe impossible. So learning about each environment before you go is crucial.
Randomly generated environment might also be cool if done correctly, you don't want some bland cookie cutter planet it has to have a bit of character, the environment should be both an enemy and a friend. And monsters should not be found in the same locations but have their own agendas and day and night routines.

There would be no leveling up, you just get better gear, you get that by getting better at the game and approaching each adventure with good knowledge of the environment and a proficient skill level. If you don't get good at fighting and surviving you won't get far, you will not be able to level up and make thing easier for yourself. You can save the game at any time unless in combat, if you choose to save the game all creatures on the planet respawn in different locations and you reappear in your ship in the atmosphere above the planet, so you can't save and reload until you win. Saving is for when you want to stop playing but want to stay in that area.

Multiplayer

For individual hunts or trips, you can meet up with a team of other player controlled predators and set out together but only bring trusted people with you as you can be killed have have your gear taken. If you are killed by a team mate you can log it in as a betrayal and that player will never be able to return home to stock up and will eventually die on some planet alone, unless he has contacts to keep him supplied. Those who help a betrayer can also never return home, this could lead to an interesting culture of bandit Predators. The incentive to stop people constantly killing each other would not being able to go home and upgrade and their gear would break down over time, eventually leaving them helpless.

Other players could also check a database of betrayers and choose to hunt them down, it would be funny to arrive on a planet to find a skrawny, pitiful, helpless betrayer with blurred vision and put him out of his misery to receive a special reward.

You would be able to choose to fight each other in the arena in to the death or none lethal matches.

The game would be playable both online and offline, choose online and get some help but risk being betrayed or even meeting an exiled warrior on a world you visit, that will want to take everything you have so he can stay in fighting fit for a while longer, play offline and it's just you and the universe.

Don't want to read all that? Predator/Dayz/Mass Effect/Monsterhunter/Tenchu/Riddick/Turok.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 07 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

I only just noticed this topic here after I created a topic about my idea of a Mars game.
I think my idea would fit in this topic perfectly.
Posted Image
There are games set on mars out there and maybe the one that comes a bit close to what I am talking about is Red Faction: Guerrilla
The problem with that game however is that it's not an FPS and it's not on the Mars that we know to be desolate and lifeless.
As desolate and as boring today's Mars may seem, there have been some very good movies that deal with it in a rather creative way.
I am not talking about movies like Total Recall which don't really take place on it's surface for more than a few minutes.
I am talking about movies like Red Planet or Mission To Mars made in the year 2000.

A story driven FPS game on a very open Mars landscape modeled and textured to look very credible.
The game could definitely be made to look very good and run at a high frame rate, considering that the landscape would be rather simple to render.

Now, about the action in the game and how not to have it be a boring short game, there could be a story driven game where you go there with a team to find traces of alien life, like pyramids or what ever the game's idea comes up with.
Have you battle with deadly sand storms, collect some clues and samples that could lead you towards alien stuff and then at one point have some play on your team and have your friends die one by one from mysterious causes that put you on the edge and force you to go out of your own way to escape the planet alive.
During this proposed scenario, you also get to stumble upon major alien ruins in which you could possibly take shelter and get to explore an egyptian/alien type of ruins that end up attacking you with traps and various clever dusty tech.

I am amazed that nobody is trying to create a pure Mars experience fps game.
I know that coming up with great ideas for such a game, would require more effort than the usual games but still, I believe it can be done and it should be done.

I know that just like me, many other people like Mars as a planet and are intrigued by it and maybe they wished to visit it at least once in their lives.
A great fps game that would deal with Mars itself and with the many ideas found in conspiracy theories all around the internet or the sci-fi ideas found in previous Mars movies.
The game I am proposing, should satisfy any Mars fan's desire to walk on that planet and observe it's surface in person.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 07 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I would really like to see an RPG that combines the following elements:

The engine (modability and character creation etc) of Fallout: New Vegas / Skyrim
The class system and diversity of D & D
The story writing of Mass Effect or Dragon Age

I also really want KotOR 3....The Old Republic MMO has some serious flaws I can't look past right now.

User is offline   -Rhetro- 

So many of these ideas are awesome! I'm very glad to get all the feedback from this post! It would be great to see all these ideas put into actual games one day.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options