Duke4.net Forums: SwWorld - Shadow Warrior User Map - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SwWorld - Shadow Warrior User Map  "- Huge singleplayer sw map."

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Just as it says, a LARGE singleplayer ( and wb) Shadow Warrior map. As I learned build I would add to this map. The build skillz have progressed since then but SwWorld has reached the limit of walls, sectors and so hasn't been added to for quite sometime.

It's kind of an adventure, where you start is a tiny bit bland but I assure you it picks up from there. The map is linear at the beginning, non-linear in the middle and finishes with linear once again. Collect the 2 cards in the middle area as they will help you in the end but are not essential. Plenty of weapons to go around and also many different variations allowed to complete.

The map is geared more towards veteran players. I can finish it no prob without dying but then again I made it. Once you know where everything is, it really is a very fun map to keep coming back to. Decent amount of little secrets.. can you find the Holy room? conversely there is a "horny" room full of the sw chicks, well hidden. lol Give it a try, above all you can't ignore that there was time put into it, although long ago. It IS a battle against Zilla, go get that m*fo!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Fall from up high onto this overhead beam and you'll drop into it revealing 4 cookies.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Can be had here: SwWorld

This post has been edited by Robman: 09 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

"So I've got the red key finally but haven't found the red door." - Do go chasing waterfalls, lol

This post has been edited by Robman: 03 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Great map man!

This post has been edited by DavoX: 05 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Thankyou very much for giving it a try and the positive feedback DavoX, much appreciated.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Anybody played it through to the end?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Does Redux support usermaps?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostDaedolon, on 09 March 2014 - 12:33 AM, said:

Does Redux support usermaps?

Yeah there is a 'usermap' section in the main menu. Not sure how it works but it shouldn't be too complicated (find the folder in which you put the map...).

I'll definitly give this map a try at some point but it seems huge, I'm afraid to get lost.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 09 March 2014 - 01:51 AM

User is offline   Mr. Pink 

View PostRobman, on 08 March 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

Anybody played it through to the end?

This looks awesome. Installing SWP right now. Big difficult maps ftw.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

The screenshots were created using SWP 4.3.2 Hi Resolution pack.

Here are 2 maps for the middle area which is the "non-linear" part.
I actually quite like the gameplay of this map, as I seem to play it over and over.
At the very beginning of the map just hop in the turret and blast away.
Map was made quite awhile ago so do try to take it easy on the judgement, hehe.. just take yer time with it and have fun, again it is an adventure of sorts. Try to explore every nook and cranny as there are tonnes of cookies/items.
There is different Lo Wang speak in many areas mixing it up for playing more than once.
When you come across a "Button," In the red snake room, you can push it more than once and you may end up thinking the button did nothing. So only push it once unless you like being even more confused the first time you try a map, hehe.

Again, there are many ways to navigate around the open middle area and remember to take your time!

Follow the maps below in order of 1-4 if you have trouble figuring things out. If you could beat " A Link to the Past" on SNES ... you can figure this out without need of the maps.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Robman: 09 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Started playing it. I'm inside the big wooden post guard after pressing the button inside the lava serpent/wall cave. The first part of the map wasn't very good design wise but once you get into the 'real' area it's pretty cool, I love the scale of the whole thing and looking at it from different sides. I also love how you have to jump your way to the top.

Edit : okay I beat it now. I say it was pretty good overall, but the problem is that without the 2 screenshots explaining where to go I would have never figured it out.
I think you should take your sense of grandeur, keep it and improve it even though it's already pretty good, but make sure to improve gameplay. Progression was a little weird (would have been too hard to figure out a couple of things) and also item were all over the place and there was too much of everything, making gameplay quickly irrelevant by being able to spam rockets and grenades while having 200hp and 100 armor + a medipack on you at all times...
Also the platforming parts were good, it's worth saying that making GOOD paltforming segments in a FPS is a very hard task so good job for that. They were well done and there was the right ammount.

Also, more doesn't equal better. I think you could have gotten rid of the very first area of the map altogether, it just does not belong and isn't good like the rest. It might even pull off some players at the start.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The water probably helps but the outdoor shots have architecture and detail that feel like they could be something in WGR2.

User is offline   MetHy 

Oh wow. I wouldn't say that. Robman is definitly on the right track but still has got a long way to reach William Gee's talent.
Unless you mean, the maps in WGR2 not made by William Gee... In that case we could agree.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I've seen some of your other reviews of maps MetHy, and I'll take this one, haha! Thankyou for giving it the time of day/ play time and thought. I think I feel quite the same about the map as you do. I could make the player start under the waterfall and either delete the first area or make it a little "secret level" to find. You can speed that section up by exploding the pillar which contains the smoke bomb and just use that to run over and grab the key/cookie and medpack if not concerned about killing all the baddies with the turret. There is a lot of items, it's almost ridiculous but not quite and some folks may like lots of items, who knows.. we'll have to see how other players view it first. Something I would like to add is some lighting effects and some more sprite work sometime perhaps as there is room for that. This map started out as going to be a wangbang only version of the Unreal Tournament map " Lava Giant" years ago. Again thanks for playing it :blink:
The Matrix and Melee maps were made quite sometime after this one.
Matrix map Melee map

Edit: I've never played WGR2 :blink:

This post has been edited by Robman: 11 March 2014 - 02:49 AM

User is offline   Mr. Pink 

Completed and it totally rocks. 1 (babe room) out of 3 secrets.

User is offline   Shelia 

Is this for Sw or Duke 3d?

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

It's for Sw, Yoko. Also I'm very pleased you enjoyed the map Mr. Pink, thanks for the good words:) Most peeps could likely play this map 10x and still not find everything.

User is offline   MetHy 

I've played your Matrix map. It was alright for a conceptual map, but I had trouble with the truck/car part, took me several tries.

Since there is nowhere to talk about SW anyway I'll put this here : I've played The Last Warrior TC and it was amazing. TONS of high quality level, highly recommended to anyone. Best user content I've seen for SW.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 14 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Yeah Last Warrior was certainly a goodie, I've got all the TCs over at Shadow Warrior Central ... Sw Central
I've been thinking of adding more to the Matrix map.. just a hobby so nothing really gets done in a hurry, haven't touched build in a few months. You can do that car/truck scene easily by just stepping off the back of the truck onto the red car when it pulls up close and honks the horn.

This post has been edited by Robman: 18 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Sorry for the off topic, but what program do you use for SW map editing?

I tried SWPbuild but there is a glitch that makes it useless. I remember the same glitching happening in some very old versions of mapster : in 3D mode i can't align textures by holding keys, I have to press the key a thousand times. That alone renders swpbuild useless unless i want to spend a thousand years making a map....

Then I tried original SW build in dosbox, but I can't get the resolution right. The problem is, at high resolutions, the textures appear really tiny in the textures list. It gets fine (but still not as big as i'd want them to be) if I go in 640*480; but then I finding building in 640*480 not comfortable at all (I mean; obviously the dosbox window is big as i want it to be; but still build in that low resolution isn't confortable).

I tried the Build that comes with Redux. Surpringsly it launches directly in windows and it seems pretty good; however 3D mode doesn't work, when I try to enter 3D mode the screen glitches in a sort of white-ish colour.

So what do you use?

I wonder if using mapster32 would work. Like, if I take the palette and the textures .art files.... Then, I'd move to dosbox swbuild for effects and enemies etc
Not sure if that would even work but i could give it a try.

Edit : haha ! that worked for mapster32! That is pretty damn awesome that mapster can read SW map files. The only thing is getting used to the scale which is different but I can do that.
By renaming SWP to eduke32.exe I can even test the map wtih ctrl+p

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 May 2014 - 05:07 AM

• Honored Donor

You should be able to make the bulk of your SW map in mapster, not too sure about some of the SW-specific effects though. I hear doors are completely different but don't know much about them.

Have you tried JFBuild for SW?

User is offline   MetHy 

jfbuild doesn't seem to work at all for me; not sure why; but apparently redux 's build IS jfbuild anyway so that means I did try that.

I'll go for mapster i guess

• Honored Donor

I have a feeling Termit put virtually zero effort into the level editors for Redux and Megaton (hey, if I knew mapster32 was available, I wouldn't put any effort into an insanely inferior version either), and probably only included it just to say that there were level editors.

Let us know if you can make a full SW level in mapster, since it'd be pretty interesting to know if it's possible IMO.

User is offline   MetHy 

Well it's totally possible to build the environments. Just extract the palette, the art files; launch mapster.

The problem is, the scale is different, so in 3D mode, you have to build everything 50% bigger than how it looks to you (I wonder if it'd be possible to change how mapster view things in 3D mode to solve this issue?)
But to be honest, mapping with mapster's confort even if the scale is off, is a lot better than mapping with original swbuild with the right looking scale. I can totally get used to the scale, while on the other hand, I can't find a good solution to the issue i mentionned about resolution and texture size (and when you do'nt know the textures, having them be really tiny is a pain)

For effects, I have no idea how effects in SW work at the moment. If it uses a similar tag system as duke, then I'm guessing it could work?
Otherwise, I'll just switch to dosbox swbuild for effects.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 May 2014 - 05:25 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Hold 5 on the numpad and then press the arrow keys on the numpad to jump bigger increments when resizing. Yes there is a bug that messes a few things up from time to time, If you press the esc key rapidly, while in 2dmode.. entering and exiting the New/Save/Load/play/quit etc.. menu a bunch of times(3-6) and then go to enter 3dmode it will bug out and ask you if you want to save and quit.. escape that and it seems to "reset" the glitch and everything works fine again. You get this glitch also when you return to swpbuild from play testing a map. And that is how I get around that issue with SWPbuild, I had to learn that lil trick.. anyway that's what I use.

And yeah, I loaded up mapster32 awhile back. just renamed sw.grp to Duke3d.grp. Other than that glitch in SWPbuild which I know how to get around and the fact SWPbuild does not seem to let me enter a negative value when tagging which I've only really needed for making a swinging door swing an opposite way. I just load the map quick in original build and enter the value. While I think doing a couple tricks you actually COULD build the maps fully in mapster32 but meh, I use SWPbuild even as whorish as it can be. Save often, lol.

As for creating effects for sw as opposed to duke, it's a different ballgame. Find the ST1 sprite and make it your friend. This will be your main sector effector sprite and how you tag/manipulate it will determine what the effect will be. It is said that the tagging system for sw is the most difficult to use amongst the build engines but I wouldn't really know. The first map I ever made was actually for duke back in the day but it had no effects. Only recently had I made the effects in the DukeEdge map for duke3d.

Your main texts to refer to are SPRITAGS and SWSOUNDS

There are 2 sets of tags for sprites. Hold ' and then numbers 1-0 for the normal tags.
or just alt-h for hi tag ( tag 1) or alt-t for lo tag(tag2)

hold ; and then numbers 1-0 to access the "boolean flags" which are either on or off. ( 1 or 0 )

that information alone will likely help you out greatly.

edit: I just launched mapster32 .. I don't think you can input boolean flags or tags higher than hi(1) or Lo(2) tags. Could be wrong but whatever.. I couldn't get that to work. Likely best to just use SWPbuild and learn to live with the glitch and reset it as described. The only thing I use mapster32 for is resizing some maps. I've also found when resizing that sw architecture is 38% larger than duke.

This post has been edited by Robman: 10 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostRobman, on 10 May 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

, If you press the esc key rapidly, while in 2dmode.. entering and exiting the New/Save/Load/play/quit etc.. menu a bunch of times(3-6) and then go to enter 3dmode it will bug out and ask you if you want to save and quit.. escape that and it seems to "reset" the glitch and everything works fine again. You get this glitch also when you return to swpbuild from play testing a map. And that is how I get around that issue with SWPbuild, I had to learn that lil trick.. anyway that's what I use.

Couldn't get that to work...

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

at any time you can do this :

1 : Hit ESC rapidly in 2dmode ending without the play/load/save menu up.

2: press numpad enter to go to 3dmode

3: Box will pop up that normally appears in 3dmode, click cancel.

4: press numpad enter again.. it will glitch out and remain in 2dmode.

5: press numpad enter one more time and it will go to 3dmode with the bug(glitch) reset.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass but it can be done quickly when you're used to it. Welcome to mapping with SWPbuild, let me know when/if you get it to work.

This post has been edited by Robman: 11 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah that's what happened, I tried it with several times, but it wouldn't reset the glitch.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Looks really nice to me. Good job

• Honored Donor

I tried playing this but the map is too damn hard, I don't see why there can't be enemies on lower difficulty levels for those interested in a more casual experience.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostMicky C, on 25 July 2014 - 10:34 PM, said:

I tried playing this but the map is too damn hard, I don't see why there can't be enemies on lower difficulty levels for those interested in a more casual experience.

I'll be going over this map and fixing it up to add to the swc cpb, in the mean time you could always just use the cheats to get to know it if you find it diffitcult. I did mention it was geared towards veteran sw players :P

This post has been edited by Robman: 28 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options