Duke4.net Forums: Pre-Order Wolfenstein The New Order for access to DOOM beta - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pre-Order Wolfenstein The New Order for access to DOOM beta

User is offline   Malgon 

Hmm, I didn't expect this at all, especially considering that the next Doom game has been in development hell for the past few years and that there have been plenty of rumours of multiple restarts and a generally poor focus overall. I suppose that Bethesda is using it to both help market Wolfenstein: The New Order and also renew interest in the next Doom game and the brand overall, effectively playing damage control with everything that has happened so far. It's a risky move as it seems that more people are talking about the Doom beta key instead of focusing on the soon to be released Wolfenstein. It's an interesting way to build up hype though.

Edit: Game Informer posted a wish list of what sort of direction the game should go in. Check out the link below:

http://www.gameinfor...-list-doom.aspx

This post has been edited by Malgon: 19 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

That list is spot on.

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm just busting balls here.

But seriously, Doom 3 was an absolute travesty and very few people have good things to say about it.

That really isn't the case. It's very rare for there to genuinly be a completely one-sided consensus. Doom 3 (PC) has an 87 on metacritic. Four stars on Amazon, countless positive reviews from countless gamers. Some in this topic. Lots of people play it on Steam to this day, still a popular one on sales. I think there's this thing where people want to feel 'everyone' has the same opinion as them, but where's the fun in that? It's valid that you hate the game, but you don't need other people to all agree. And well, everyone doesn't agree. I love Doom 3, and just replayed it recently, I especially enjoy the Resurrection of Evil add-on. Just for the record.

As for games that look bad to me, there's Wolfenstein. I want it to be good, but a lot of the gameplay footage is unfortunately identical to Killzone or Call of Duty. Pinned down on battlefields where you have to hide behind cover or get killed. It doesn't feel as run and gun as it should. Doom 3 does a lot right that this Wolfenstein game looks to be doing wrong, in my opinion. There is way to much "war shooter" in the DNA of this new Wolfenstein, and I am so bored of war shooters.

It even has parts where you sneak up behind guards and kill them stealthily in the canned Call of Duty stealth segments. So dull! I love well done stealth gameplay like Metal Gear Solid and Hitman, but this stuff is just weak as hell in my opinion. Can somebody just make an FPS with a vastly different feel from the mediocre current norm?

All that said, I am optimistic for the next Doom game from id. They mentioned at one point it was shaping up to be "Call of Doom", and they canned it and went back at it from another direction. Hopefully they really do deliver a great FPS. And very much agreed with that article that we could use more metal in soundtracks.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 20 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 11:14 PM, said:

That list is spot on.

They forgot.... dont call it DOOM.... Call it DOOM 4.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 20 February 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

That really isn't the case. It's very rare for there to genuinly be a completely one-sided consensus. Doom 3 (PC) has an 87 on metacritic.

Those same Sheep-ole also regularly give every COD games a 10/10.......

View PostReaperMan, on 20 February 2014 - 01:57 AM, said:

Those same Sheep-ole also regularly give every COD games a 10/10.......

Oddly enough, there are plenty of gamers who like Doom 3 and don't like COD, and any other combination of random opinions. It's all personal taste. And really, calling people "sheeple" because they enjoyed a piece of entertainment you didn't? Or if you're saying critics are sheeple, ha well that's less objectionable but still a bit off. Really, it's pointless to try and discredit the opinions of others on video games.

I'm not mentioning that Doom 3 is well reviewed to prove it's good, though I do think it's good. I don't think general consensus necessarily means anything for entertainment. Just pointing out it's untrue to say very few have good things to say about it. Even some Dukers in this topic dig Doom 3. We all like different games, this is normal.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 20 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 20 February 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

Really, it's pointless to try and discredit the opinions of others on video games..................Just pointing out it's untrue to say very few have good things to say about it.

...Do i even need to point this out?

Really, it's pointless to try and discredit the opinions of others on video games.

I'm not mentioning that Doom 3 is well reviewed to prove it's good, though I do think it's good.

So why did you even mention it? That means you literally posted that for nothing.

Even some Dukers in this topic dig Doom 3.

A good majority of those people also like DNF... so you might say they have a bad taste in games. They probably are fans of LJN as well.

We all like different games, this is normal.

For the most part I attribute this to varying degrees of intelligence.

If you think there's no point in sharing opinions on subjects of personal taste, I don't know what to tell you. There's no "right" or "winner" in a discussion of say a video game's merit. The point is the discussion, and by saying untrue generalizations that "everybody" hates something for example, I'm just pointing out the obvious that those statements aren't correct. And personally I don't agree that liking DNF means you have bad taste.

As for connecting intelligence to taste in games, I personally disagree there, and if we even went there wouldn't us FPS fans in general be considered simpletons compared to fans of point-and-click adventure games with insane puzzles? (Though I like both for the record.) But really, I think it's absurd to try and judge a person based on if they like game X or Y.

If nothing else, just being fellow Duke fans should be enough to afford some degree of civility and respect for different opinions, call me old fashioned. There's no reason to be antagonistic or make pointless jabs at people's intelligence because they don't have identical taste to you in video games.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 20 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 20 February 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

And personally I don't agree that liking DNF means you have bad taste.

Most would disagree.

...if we even went there wouldn't us FPS fans in general be considered simpletons compared to fans of point-and-click adventure games with insane puzzles?

Depends... technically fast paced FPS games have you solve "problems" at a much faster pace then point-and-click adventure games, especially when you play against a human player.

But really, I think it's absurd to try and judge a person based on if they like game X or Y.

And he in lies the question of "if it was so absurd... was he really serious?" and the answer is no.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 20 February 2014 - 03:11 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Since The New Order is for 360 and PS3(in addition to PS4, X1 and PC), does that mean that DooM will also have last-gen versions, as well? I thought that at this point it would be current gen(and of course PC) only, especially with the project restarts and scrapped previous iterations.

Edit: According to wikipedia, the game will indeed be released on the older consoles....but their citation was well over 3 years old. I still can only assume that this is true, due to the lack of any specification in the recent advertisement.

This post has been edited by Duke Rocks: 20 February 2014 - 04:51 AM

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostDuke Rocks, on 20 February 2014 - 04:40 AM, said:

Since The New Order is for 360 and PS3(in addition to PS4, X1 and PC), does that mean that DooM will also have last-gen versions, as well? I thought that at this point it would be current gen(and of course PC) only, especially with the project restarts and scrapped previous iterations.

Edit: According to wikipedia, the game will indeed be released on the older consoles....but their citation was well over 3 years old. I still can only assume that this is true, due to the lack of any specification in the recent advertisement.

It depends when DOOM is planned for release. Wolfenstein TNO coming out on current and last-gen platforms suggests that, if the beta is accessable on last-gen consoles, DOOM may well release on them as well. We'll know more when the beta codes are released with the pre-orders, and if we see reedeemable codes for 360/PS3 users then we'll have our answer. Unless the devs pull a dick move and release a beta for last-gen consoles with the full game only for current-gen platforms, which would be a BIG mistake.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 20 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostReaperMan, on 20 February 2014 - 01:57 AM, said:

They forgot.... dont call it DOOM.... Call it DOOM 4.

Don't care that shit, I'll just called it DOOM 2014(if it ever come out in 2014) or DOOM <whatyearreleased>, like the new Shadow Warrior, call it SW 2013.

Pointless reply below.
Spoiler

I don't see why they can't just give it a new title altogether. Just calling it Doom implies rewriting the original and slapping in a number just seems lazy. How about Doom: Hell's Wrath, or something?

This post has been edited by MetroidJunkie: 20 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I think Doom 3 genuinely sucks dick but I can see why people like it. It's visceral and all. It's just really fucking lazy.

View PostPlayer Lin, on 20 February 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

Don't care that shit, I'll just called it DOOM 2014(if it ever come out in 2014) or DOOM <whatyearreleased>, like the new Shadow Warrior, call it SW 2013.

Am i seriously the only one who is bothered when they name something the SAME NAME as the first game?

Not really, I think it causes needless confusion and is lazy, that's actually why I was annoyed Microsoft called their new system the Xbox One since I'd been calling the Original one that. Even Duke Nukem Forever manages to have a different name that doesn't just rely on numbers.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostReaperMan, on 20 February 2014 - 02:35 AM, said:

Oh dear.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostReaperMan, on 20 February 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Am i seriously the only one who is bothered when they name something the SAME NAME as the first game?

Well...
I just too lazy to bother that, because seems nothing will changed when complaining......
The last time I complaining such thing is EA's NFS:Hot Pursuit 2010(I just called it HP3).. And then I just don't want care such naming bullshit when those stupid companies just don't care such complaints too. :blink:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 20 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

I'm excited to see how Doom 4 has turned out. I was thinking the game was dead, let's hope it will be good.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostReaperMan, on 20 February 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Nope. Irritates the ever-living shit out of me. Especially with a game like Shadow Warrior 2013, because even though it's a great game, since it's a re-imagining+reboot.... Why not just use an original fucking title? Literally everything but the lead character's and it's antagonists' names are original/typical fare you expect out of a ninja game.

But I digress, as for Doom 4. I don't know. We don't know anything except id/Bethesda sucks. I fear the worst. This new Wolfenstein however.... looks like it might be alright. The storyline is interesting enough and a fresh approach for the series. Seems to have a lot of Hollywood influence though, that might fuck things up.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 20 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostReaperMan, on 20 February 2014 - 02:35 AM, said:

What a snob! :blink:

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

I couldn't even make it to hell!

Honestly, you aren't missing much. Hell in Doom 3 is more like the kind of thing you would find in the Halloween section at Walmart :blink:

User is offline   Ronin 

I can admit that I have questionable taste in some games, I like some games that are meant to be bad and hate some games that are meant to be good. I enjoyed DNF when I first played it mainly because of the excitement of playing something I never thought I would ever get to play (buyers remorse?) but going back to play it a about a year ago, I realised how horrible it truly is. But I though DOOM 3 was enjoyable, not amazing, just good enough. I was never mad about DOOM to begin with, I like it but am not a serious fan, to drive that point home, my favourite version is the N64 one. Maybe if I was a hardcore DOOM fan I would see things differently. My biggest grip with it was the tiny waves of enemy attacking at once, I loved how in the original DOOM games you would get swarmed by a sea of demons, they dropped the ball there.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 20 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostKathy, on 20 February 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

What a snob! :blink:

Well since you seemed to of skipped over it, ill say it again..... I wasn't serious i was messing with PsychoGoatee.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 20 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Yep, haven't noticed it.

Also, you have one of the worst examples of substituting "have" to "of". I at least can understand when it's "could of" or "should of"(which is still stupid), but not the freaking "seemed to of".

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

He's from Detroit, give him a break. They're barely part of the United States.

At least its not Virgina.

View PostKathy, on 20 February 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

Also, you have one of the worst examples of substituting "have" to "of". I at least can understand when it's "could of" or "should of"(which is still stupid), but not the freaking "seemed to of".

You seemed to of been quite annoyed by this grammatical error. It seemed to me that i should of used it more.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 20 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I enjoyed Doom 3 but I didn't like it as much as Doom 1 & 2 and I'm not expecting Doom 4 to be amazing or to even have the Doom feel to it as all the Doom guys have left ID.
Still I'm very interested in that new Wolfenstein.

At this point, I'm just hoping they aren't going to make it 'modern' by giving you regenerating health, a, limited sprint, and a 2 weapon limit.

This post has been edited by MetroidJunkie: 21 February 2014 - 06:22 AM

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 21 February 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

At this point, I'm just hoping they aren't going to make it 'modern' by giving you regenerating health, a, limited sprint, and a 2 weapon limit.

If that happens and if I was a game developer. Then I'm making a FPS w/ either the Build engine, Quake 1 engine, goldsrc, or the first Unreal engine that powered Unreal Gold/Unreal Tournament 1999; w/ secrets health/armor points, map toggle, exploration, 3-colored keys, No carrying weapon limit, limited voice-overs and so on. Screw these realistic modern obsessed press review whores like IGN, GameSpot, whatever. When someone gives my game a negative review that says "That game has way outdated mechanics", I'd tell him to kiss my ass; I don't care what you think. "Outdated" is here to stay

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 21 February 2014 - 06:44 AM

I don't care if it's outdated, I care if the game is fun to play. If you really wanted complete realism, you'd have shots to the leg completely immobilize you, shots to the arm completely cripple your aim, and shots to the head or torso immediately lethal, but that would make a game much more frustrating, which is my point. It annoys me that Bioshock Infinite fell to the modern fps syndrome after the first two were so good about avoiding that.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options