Duke4.net Forums: Pre-Order Wolfenstein The New Order for access to DOOM beta - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pre-Order Wolfenstein The New Order for access to DOOM beta

User is offline   Green 

Posted Image

http://www.wolfenstein.com/en-us/doom

User is offline   Komenja 

Fuuuuuuck.

Damn I was 27 mins late. I was going to post this mofo!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 19 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Is it called just 'Doom' now?

View PostKathy, on 19 February 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

Is it called just 'Doom' now?

Either because it's not yet announced or because it's a reboot that will shamelessly attempt to bury the old doom game by overwriting it's name on the internet.
I hate it when corporatist fucks think it's a bad decision to put a number after a famous brand name, just so that new fags don't feel discouraged to buy it because it's probably a sequel to a series they didn't play.
They much rather put the name doom so that every new fag treats it like a new game...
Apparently, corporatist fags believe that everybody is retarded and uninformed in the world and can't tell for themselves that doom4 could very well be played without having played the previous games even if it does contain a 4 at the end...
Every shitty corporation is patronizing gamers...

It was a very smart pr move to add that doom beta shit at the end of the trailer.
That thing alone will get a shitload of people to talk about this trailer and this wolfenstein game...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 19 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

id Software is like the American equivalent of Nintendo. "We used to be great, why innovate?"

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

id Software is like the American equivalent of Nintendo. "We used to be great, why innovate?"

The problem with that is that at least nintendo makes games that are as good as the old ones by the standards of 80's and 90's while id makes some games that would even be shit by the standards of 90's...
I know that analogy might sound extreme because in the 90's the graphics found today's id games would have blown our minds but if you take out the graphics of today and replace them with the graphics of the 90's and leave the gameplay intact, you suddenly realize that today's id games are shittier and less innovative than their games from the 90's...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 19 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

I honestly think id has sucked since 1996, but people will chew me out for thinking that.

I just found out that the old Doom 3 Alpha runs on my new GTX 770 (It failed to load on my old 6970). That fucking game was still more fun than Doom 3 ever was, and it sounded twice as good. How much you guys wanna bet this happens again?

User is offline   Bloodshot 

To be fair, Doom 3 had a number and that was a reboot of doom anyway

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

I honestly think id has sucked since 1996, but people will chew me out for thinking that.

I just found out that the old Doom 3 Alpha runs on my new GTX 770 (It failed to load on my old 6970). That fucking game was still more fun than Doom 3 ever was, and it sounded twice as good. How much you guys wanna bet this happens again?

Betas are released just a month or two before the game comes out, going by what the standard is now. AAA Games won't change as drastically based on a beta, just tweaks and bug fixes

I was being sarcastic. Regardless, this is id we're talkimg about.

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

I'm sorry but wtf are you on about?
Are you claiming that this alpha of Doom3 sounded and was better than Doom3 itself?

You're joking right?
Why would an alpha version with low textures, shitty character animations and the same exact graphics engine running at only 80% of it's potential, be better than the final game?
The alpha was literally the same Doom3 experience with the the same sounds, same textures, same characters just lower res due to it not being ready yet and being from 1 or 2 years before Doom3 actually came out.
It had nothing unique about it. It wasn't like DNF from 2001 where every piece of art was different than what came out in the end.
I have no idea how can you or anybody else, justify that the alpha of doom3 was better than doom3 itself...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 19 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

I'm just busting balls here.

But seriously, Doom 3 was an absolute travesty and very few people have good things to say about it.

Just re-read my last post. I meant to say that the memories of the Alpha were better than actually playing the final game.

When that shit leaked, everyone's mind was blown.

When it came out, everyone was disappointed.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

You may want to gouge my eyeballs out, but I thoroughly enjoyed Doom 3, especially in Co-op.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 19 February 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

The alpha was literally the same Doom3 experience with the the same sounds, same textures, same characters just lower res due to it not being ready yet and being from 1 or 2 years before Doom3 actually came out.
It had nothing unique about it. It wasn't like DNF from 2001 where every piece of art was different than what came out in the end.
I have no idea how can you or anybody else, justify that the alpha of doom3 was better than doom3 itself...

Actually no, that's one thing that was different

Trent Reznor made the alpha sounds for doom 3, and they sound vastly different from the retail sounds.

Otherwise though, the D3 alpha is basically unfinished Doom 3 with animated deaths and more scripting.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

New Doom = DNF.

User is offline   Ronin 

I really enjoyed DOOM 3, I only played it 2 years ago first time so it was a nice break from the usual crap and it's creepy as hell. I actually like how you couldn't have a torch and gun at the same time even though it makes no sense apart from ramping up the tension.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 19 February 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Why would an alpha version with low textures, shitty character animations and the same exact graphics engine running at only 80% of it's potential, be better than the final game?
The textures in the leaked alpha are generally better than the finished game as they were all still in an uncompressed format. For the final build, they were compressed in a lossy dds format. The map lighting was also superior in the alpha as they had yet to optimize the levels with cheap lighting, hence there were far more lights around (look at how bright those levels are!), every light source cast shadows, models had self-shadowing, and so forth.

Also, the reason some of those characters animations look "shitty" was because they were hobbled-together placeholders made specifically for the E3 presentation cut scenes and never intended for the final game. A few parts like the Pinky bathroom scene obviously received more love, but those may have actually been planned to be used before being cut for whatever reason.

This post has been edited by RinyRed: 19 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

What on earth...

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostReaperMan, on 19 February 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

New Doom = DNF.

Nah it'll be worse than that, more like: New Doom = Tomb Raider 2013

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

That's not id, that's the entire gaming industry today.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 19 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

I just got into a huge argument with Coryyne on Facebook over this. lol. I stand by what I said about Doom 3 - It's so bad I'd rather play Call of Duty. Or even DNF.

IMO Doom 3 falls into every single trap there is for an FPS game. Bad plot. Bad level design. Repetitive. Weak, shitty weapons. Unsatisfying combat. Repetitive. Felt dated upon release. Repetitive. No atmosphere, just scary. Predictable jumpscares. Repetitive. Doesn't feel like a Doom game. Did I mention repetitive? There's barely any difference between the first 15 minutes of action and the rest of the game at all.

I'm not gonna get into a huge argument over this, but Doom 3 is one of my least favorite games ever made and I genuinely don't understand why people with such great taste in games seem to like it. I've tried to get into it three times and every single time it pushes me away faster than a gay guy hitting on a hillbilly.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 19 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

It'd be hilarious if they just gave you a copy of the original DooM beta, since it's not even numbered.

...even though I may be scorned for this, I fully enjoyed DooM 3 (but that doesn't say much considering that, even with all of the flaws, I still loved DNF) and I am very excited for DooM 4. I also heard that they once made a CoD clone out of it but it wasn't well received, so they canned it and started all over. That might not be true, though.

This post has been edited by Slippy_Pig: 19 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I enjoyed Doom 3 when it came out, I enjoyed it even more when BFG Edition came out. Ignore the PDA's, use the duct tape mod, and book it through every level just blasting any demon or zombie that teleports/scripts in/closets out the second they are visible. It turned into a much more run and gun game, and I actually enjoy it. I also enjoyed Rage.

I also really liked Doom, Doom 2, Duke 3D, Blood, Outlaws, etc etc when those came out in the 90's

I'm getting tired of games having scripted sequences, I'd them to just progress at whatever pace you are setting and not bottlenecking you into corridors and QTE's

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 19 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

So..... since Doom 4 is just DOOM now..... does that mean it will be released on 3.5 floppy? :blink:

View PostSlippy_Pig, on 19 February 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

...even though I may be scorned for this, I fully enjoyed DooM 3 (but that doesn't say much considering that, even with all of the flaws, I still loved DNF) and I am very excited for DooM 4. I also heard that they once made a CoD clone out of it but it wasn't well received, so they canned it and started all over. That might not be true, though.

I'm pretty sure id Software confirmed they had to reboot development on Doom 4. Don't quote me on that, though.

View PostReaperMan, on 19 February 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

So..... since Doom 4 is just DOOM now..... does that mean it will be released on 3.5 floppy? :blink:

Doom 4 OCD Edition. 6 boxes with 666 floppies in each. Includes 6 disc documentary - hope you have a LaserDisc player!

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 19 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

Doom 4 OCD Edition. 6 boxes with 666 floppies in each. Includes 6 disc documentary - hope you have a LaserDisc player!

Soundtrack will be released on 8-track and cassette.

You forgot DAT Tape.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

I just got into a huge argument with Coryyne on Facebook over this. lol. I stand by what I said about Doom 3 - It's so bad I'd rather play Call of Duty. Or even DNF.

IMO Doom 3 falls into every single trap there is for an FPS game. Bad plot. Bad level design. Repetitive. Weak, shitty weapons. Unsatisfying combat. Repetitive. Felt dated upon release. Repetitive. No atmosphere, just scary. Predictable jumpscares. Repetitive. Doesn't feel like a Doom game. Did I mention repetitive? There's barely any difference between the first 15 minutes of action and the rest of the game at all.

I'm not gonna get into a huge argument over this, but Doom 3 is one of my least favorite games ever made and I genuinely don't understand why people with such great taste in games seem to like it. I've tried to get into it three times and every single time it pushes me away faster than a gay guy hitting on a hillbilly.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Though, if you find the combat unsatisfying, perhaps Doom 3 BFG's "Lost Mission" would be better suited to you... It's a lot more focused on action and it throws a lot of enemies at you almost every 15 seconds. It kept me on my toes, and I play a lot of fast twitch shooters. Hell, even the expansion, Resurrection of Evil was a lot faster paced, plus the SSG comes back and feels like it has more punch than the other guns. Less reliance on jumpscares in those two as well.

I thought the plot and listening to/reading the PDA logs to be interesting, and helped me get immersed into it. As for repetitiveness, I didn't find it any more or less repetitive than the Quake games. It did however drag on for a long time until near the end... the campaign could have been a lot shorter. However, it is nice to play CO-OP with if you load up the LMS Mod, or OpenCOOP.

As for the weapons feeling weak, "Improved Doom 3" and SikkMod both take care of that admirably well. They also add better gore, no corpse fade, infinite sprint, and a bunch of other nice stuff.

Also, how dare you say COD is better... CoD to me, is EVERYTHING wrong with FPSes today. I tried to play MW2's campaign, and fucking hated it... Infinite respawning enemies, slow movement speed, regenerating health, no exploration, killing enemies wasn't satisfying at all, no interactivity at all.... it was stale, and felt like it was a lot more on rails than anything else I've ever played.

Doom 3, while it wasn't near as good as the original Doom games... I still liked it, and gameplay-wise it feels a lot like Half-Life 1 to me as far as it's structure...

Oh, by the way, there's the Classic Doom 3 mod (Great for COOP):

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 19 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

Atleast Doom 3 isn't linear to the point of one way only, let's you keep more than two weapons, and there isn't a regenerative health mechanic that encourages you to hide alot. So yeah, slightly better than COD.

View PostStrikerMan780, on 19 February 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

I thought the plot and listening to/reading the PDA logs to be interesting, and helped me get immersed into it. As for repetitiveness, I didn't find it any more or less repetitive than the Quake games. It did however drag on for a long time until near the end... the campaign could have been a lot shorter. However, it is nice to play CO-OP with if you load up the LMS Mod, or OpenCOOP.

Ugh. What plot? I mean, I'm not looking for something on the grand scale of Mass Effect. Doom 3 makes SiN look like Shakespeare.

It's even more repetitive than Quake 2. Every area of Doom 3 looks and plays in a similar fashion. It's terrible. I couldn't even make it to hell!

As for the weapons feeling weak, "Improved Doom 3" and SikkMod both take care of that admirably well. They also add better gore, no corpse fade, infinite sprint, and a bunch of other nice stuff.

The rest is too broken for me to care, honestly.

Also, how dare you say COD is better... CoD to me, is EVERYTHING wrong with FPSes today. I tried to play MW2's campaign, and fucking hated it... Infinite respawning enemies, slow movement speed, regenerating health, no exploration, killing enemies wasn't satisfying at all, no interactivity at all.... it was stale, and felt like it was a lot more on rails than anything else I've ever played.

Just like Doom 3 is everything wrong with old FPS games. CoD isn't annoying, just bland. Doom 3 annoys me to the point where it makes my shit itch.

Doom 3, while it wasn't near as good as the original Doom games... I still liked it, and gameplay-wise it feels a lot like Half-Life 1 to me as far as it's structure...

It's an unremarkable game on it's own merits.

Oh, by the way, there's the Classic Doom 3 mod (Great for COOP):

This is awesome, I honestly beat that mod this evening and put a pirated copy of it along with Doom 3 on my Facebook. It's one of the best mods I've ever played.

I never paid id for this game and I'm not going to start now. When a dog screws up, you need to teach it a lesson. I want to rub Tim Willits' nose in dog shit.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 19 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options