Duke4.net Forums: The Mask Reveals Disgusting Face - Release - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Mask Reveals Disgusting Face - Release

User is online   zykov eddy 

Hello guys. So, finally I've managed to put this thing together. This time I tried really hard to rape EDuke 32, by adding some cool mechanics and tricks. The game is easy to pick up and play, and Duke 3D fans will sure love the style of the graphics. Hope you'll enjoy it.

The Mask Reveals Disgusting Face is a horror game about a depressed person named Gary, who decided to spend some time in empty house outside the town. Bad idea. Some strange force locked him up here. Weird things started happening in the house, driving him crazy. Will he survive the nightmare?

The project has been in works almost half of year (with great delays, though). The story and some gameplay events are inspired by some of my past life experience. This is my first game based totally on my ideas and concepts, and I gotta say, I'm happy with the results. Special thanks to Micky C for proofreading game texts!

Download:

http://gamejolt.com/...ing-face/22523/

Controls:

WASD - Movement
E or left mouse click - Use
Shift - Sprint
Esc - Menu
F - Flashlight

Screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 12 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

You forgot the ID from the url:

Daedolon, on 12 February 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

You forgot the ID from the url:

Fixed, thanks.

Enjoy the horrors!

User is offline   MetHy 

Damnit, I got a message from my computer, a warning saying "high cpu usage from eduke32". So I did ctrl+alt+del and the game automatically quit, got a message "Quick exit" and could only press "ok".

Oh well I wasn't too far, had just gotten the flashlight, i'll try again from scratch...

Edit : okay I beat it now, it's simple but really good :blink:
Is it duke nukem 3D textures shrinked to low poly I see here and there (like the phone)?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

MetHy, on 12 February 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

Damnit, I got a message from my computer, a warning saying "high cpu usage from eduke32". So I did ctrl+alt+del and the game automatically quit, got a message "Quick exit" and could only press "ok".

Oh well I wasn't too far, had just gotten the flashlight, i'll try again from scratch...

Edit : okay I beat it now, it's simple but really good :blink:
Is it duke nukem 3D textures shrinked to low poly I see here and there (like the phone)?

Spoiler

Thanks!

Some brick wall decals in the underground and a small lamp in the bathroom taken from Duke 3D. The phone is actually from Tekwar, I think.

User is offline   Loke 

Very cool. I liked the art style and the overall simple graphics. Short but effective.

Btw, is there some way to independently change the mouse x/y-axis (they're uneven for me) through the console?

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Everything you do is worth the download and play, I'll check this ASAP.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I played this thing in broad daylight this morning, and it still weirded me out a little bit. Short but sweet, everything from the menu to the game itself felt really professional and polished.

Played a little bit like Slender's woods, which is good because while I liked Slenders Woods I never finished it because it was too hard/scary for me. It's more like an interactive story than a game per say although of course it does have a bit of action, but the story is good for what it's worth. Not entirely sure about the replayability. It's got 2 endings so I might give it another go, but I probably won't play it more than twice.

The Dream Trilogy on the other hand, especially the first two maps, are pretty good and have nice scripted events IMO. Duke definitely needs more scary mini-mods like (and the Dream trilogy). Little scripted events like that can really spice up user maps.

User is offline   Stabs 

love a survival horror game vs 4 monsters where you can use the environment to kill at least 3 but one is still left so you still need to escape, and you can never ever feel fully safe.

should make that wolfman, swampman, mummy, vampire escape haunted house, idn the stake to kill the vampire, find the silver bullets for the wolf, fire for the mummy, salt for the swampman (??) but you could only ever have 3 of those items ever spawn randomly in said house, all the while searching for the keys out or a way out.

make it in a 60's horror boobarella style of gameplay, would be a total winner

and more diposable charcs so its not about a single person survival, kinda want a slasher flick style one by one you get killed for fucking up and you could watch the awesome monster push your face into a sawblade

This post has been edited by DanM: 13 February 2014 - 06:01 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

zykov eddy, on 12 February 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

This time I tried really hard to rape EDuke 32, by adding some cool mechanics and tricks.

Did you change the EDuke32 source code for that? If so, please post the changes, preferably in patch form, as usual.

Helixhorned, on 13 February 2014 - 06:05 AM, said:

Did you change the EDuke32 source code for that? If so, please post the changes, preferably in patch form, as usual.

I used HEX editors to change things.

For example, I've changed the "buy Duke 3d" window, because some people who tried to play my previous games were really confused by this message.
"Failed to load game data" sounds more appropriate, I think.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 13 February 2014 - 06:18 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

we should try my idea with your doing zykov, if you can do some nice inventory based coding all we need to do is make a nice large map a big gothic estate / style adams family style

family crypt, pool area, library, dining area, kitchen, wine cellar etc all the high end stuff

so...

1 ) make 4 monsters
2 ) 3 tools needed to be found and combined (in some cases needing a wokrbench) to kill the monster
3 ) 4 items needed to be found to make the escape
4 ) sneak and hide mechanics
5 ) safe room to store your extra chars

we could have a hedge maze for the werewolf, mummy or apprarition could guard the key item in the basement, vampire could be randomly stalking the house, swampman is near the pool area.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

zykov eddy, on 13 February 2014 - 06:17 AM, said:

I used HEX editors to change things.

You mean, the exe here is based on the one you provided with Yume Nikki (which in turn is based on the 10-month old r3635), but without additional source code changes?

Helixhorned, on 13 February 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

You mean, the exe here is based on the one you provided with Yume Nikki (which in turn is based on the 10-month old r3635), but without additional source code changes?

Yes, besically

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Very good game Eddy, took me 17 minutes. It's really polished and it creeped me out, congratulations!

User is offline   CruX 

I liked it. Didn't quite get the jumps out of me that Slender or parts of A.dream did, but it works really well for what it is. Only thing I'd suggest is changing out the hand icon when you approach something that you can interact with. It's really smooth looking and kinda clashes with the rest of the game's pixel-y style.

Nice little game Eddy. Technically nothing really outstanding, but quite enjoyable, though not as creepy as A.Dream series. Also it's nice that you've done something completely original. That flower bouquet in the corridor is stylish btw, makes me want to have all the custom art in the game done in a similar fashion (as Emerica has stated, the game has some problems regarding style consistency). Also, how legitimate is it to make an EDuke32-based game with the credits section removed altogether? I understand that you were trying to get rid of distracting features, but why not giving a credit to those who created such an amazing tool as EDuke32?

Didn't get what I was supposed to do in the pistol area, shooting the face just keeps it respawning. Also that loading screen with prolonged fading effect does nothing but wasting time. There's nothing to load for that long.

Upd: okay, defeated the mask, the sprint key come in handy. There should be a bar or something for mask's health as well.

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 14 February 2014 - 12:54 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I think the lack of enemy health bar was just right. If you give him a health bar, you get rid of the feeling of not knowing if you will make it, not knowing if you really are doing the right thing and not knowing how much the enemy can take; and you also remind the player this is a video game while the game is all about immersion.

Yes, I'm THAT serious about what a health bar can do or not :blink:

CraigFatman, on 13 February 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

Nice little game Eddy. Technically nothing really outstanding, but quite enjoyable, though not as creepy as A.Dream series. Also it's nice that you've done something completely original. That flower bouquet in the corridor is stylish btw, makes me want to have all the custom art in the game done in a similar fashion (as Emerica has stated, the game has some problems regarding style consistency). Also, how legitimate is it to make an EDuke32-based game with the credits section removed altogether? I understand that you were trying to get rid of distracting features, but why not giving a credit to those who created such an amazing tool as EDuke32?

Didn't get what I was supposed to do in the pistol area, shooting the face just keeps it respawning. Also that loading screen with prolonged fading effect does nothing but wasting time. There's nothing to load for that long.

Upd: okay, defeated the mask, the sprint key come in handy. There should be a bar or something for mask's health as well.

Thanks for the short review.

The section was removed in YN3D as well, but readme still contains all needed information about EDuke32.
You're right about loading screen, I'll try to fix that later.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 14 February 2014 - 03:49 AM

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Eddy you always seem to amaze me with your projects. Great job on this one! :blink: I was thinking if it's not a problem maybe i could make good use the cool mechanics that you used in the little project, for the Resident Evil Mod that i'm working on at the moment :huh:

Completed it yesterday! It was fun to play. I liked the little and simple story, as well for the low texturing and style. Great work Eddy, I always appreciate your work on projects :blink: keep it up!

Thanks for the comments :huh:

darkcaleb, on 14 February 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

Eddy you always seem to amaze me with your projects. Great job on this one! :blink: I was thinking if it's not a problem maybe i could make good use the cool mechanics that you used in the little project, for the Resident Evil Mod that i'm working on at the moment :huh:

Of course, but what mechanics do you mean exactly?

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 16 February 2014 - 04:21 AM

Bad news. The game only hit a 550 views mark in a week on gamejolt. Comparing to some of my previous games, it's a very small number, especially for a horror game. Currently a very few people download the game each day. I tried hard to promote it on various sites, but no luck.

I declare this a failure. I guess I had high expectations for this game.

User is offline   Jblade 

First off, it's not a failure because you released it successfully and you're not making money off of it so download count doesn't matter. If you're working purely to get a download count than I think that's a huge mistake. Your other projects are all based on other games/ideas right? Sonic, Slender-man (let's not forget how HUGE that got at one point) Yume Nikki, all things that will pull in attention by fans of the series. This on the other hand is an original project, so ultimately it's not gonna pull in as much attention.

AMC TC or IW would of likely of gotten much more attention if Duke was still the protagonist, but that's not the mod I wanted to make (and neither did anybody else on the team) It's a simple choice between mass appeal and making what you enjoy. As much as I hate faux-elitism, look at how many downloads casual phone games get compared to even relatively higher-production Indie games released on Steam. Hinging success/failure based on download count just doesn't make sense.

James, on 18 February 2014 - 12:48 AM, said:

First off, it's not a failure because you released it successfully and you're not making money off of it so download count doesn't matter. If you're working purely to get a download count than I think that's a huge mistake. Your other projects are all based on other games/ideas right? Sonic, Slender-man (let's not forget how HUGE that got at one point) Yume Nikki, all things that will pull in attention by fans of the series. This on the other hand is an original project, so ultimately it's not gonna pull in as much attention.

AMC TC or IW would of likely of gotten much more attention if Duke was still the protagonist, but that's not the mod I wanted to make (and neither did anybody else on the team) It's a simple choice between mass appeal and making what you enjoy. As much as I hate faux-elitism, look at how many downloads casual phone games get compared to even relatively higher-production Indie games released on Steam. Hinging success/failure based on download count just doesn't make sense.

I agree, download count doesn't matter, but feedback does. I'm basing my thoughts about the situation on my experience in indie game community. There were lots of 'original' indie horrors before, and some of them, not being better than The Mask, gained much more attention and feedback, and what bugs me. I thought the horror adventure with retro-like graphics (which are popular these days) will do better than 500 views in a week.

I was dreaming about people expressing their feelings about the game's story and atmosphere, but ultimately got almost nothing. I would understand if the game was bad and mediocre, bu people who played it said it was good and deserves attention. I guess they're wrong, or maybe I didn't promote it very well. I'm just confused.

I'll try to promote it a little bit more, then I give up. I feel really bad.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 18 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I did enjoy the story, it has a nice message, and the atmosphere was nice as well, but I was never scared at any point in the game (weirded out and uneasy in places, but not scared). I'm not sure if that was one of your intentions or not. It probably didn't help that I played during daytime, but IMO it wouldn't have made a vast difference. Slender's Woods was definitely scary for obvious reasons. The Stairwell had it's "something bad is about to happen but I don't know what or when" appeal. And the Dream had some nice action, blended together with the "something really weird and evil is going on here". I loved the surreal bits of the first Dream map, and loved the good frights of the second map. Never finished the third map Posted Image That painting with the hands up against the glass with 2 children, and one of the children is gone after coming back to the room really creeped me out. And of course the crying baby bit was great.

As James has said, this doesn't get the benefit of already-popular concepts (and we've all seen the power of brand recognition with the DNF 2013 mod), and there's also the point that it's not as scary as scary other projects. IMO it doesn't have to be actually scary to do its job, but maybe that's part of the reason compared to the other projects? I don't play many "pixel horror" games or games in general, so I don't know what they're like. But as I said before this plays more like an interactive story than a game, and maybe that doesn't appeal to some people? I don't know.
Anyway it's early days yet, this thing might yet build up momentum. Let's see what happens.

I wouldn't call it a failure though no matter what happens Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 18 February 2014 - 04:04 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

If you want to make a game that will gain some popularity then it has to have crafting, survival and building type stuff in it as that seems to be what is popular at the moment.
I'm looking at you Rust, 7 Days to Die and DayZ.

User is offline   Jblade 

I always thought those games were more popular because you could be an absolute cock to other people, justified through gameplay somewhat, rather than the survival aspects of it.

At least you got us among likers, Eddy, which is important. More than random people.

I played it some days ago as a must, cause i love your personal touch on "creepy" projects (then i forgot the feedback cause i'm an idiot).

As a modder , i enjoy a game/mod not only "as is", but also how it has been done: maps, con tricks, effects, (EDIT: prefixed length and time spent about) and the author personal style. This one has even more, many source code modifications. Technically, it's perfect.
To be honest, this had a bit different atmoshpere, i've not enjoyed it so much like others, but is fine. As an indie horror, It could scare or disturb the player even more in some sections, but i guess is your choice, than lack of ideas and "shrewdnesses" (is that right ? :blink: ).
Then, maybe the message is more important than the game itself, but about "man's mind prisons" , i found "The wall" deeper than this one. Or "The wall" just came out before than "TMRDF". Or, i already know your feelings you put in your projects and i'm just not surprised.
Or, we also remember you are in a quite bad mood in last months, and we don't care if a project "fails", cause RealLife™ has is weight, also in game-making or expectations.

As for your expectations, maybe it's a failure. As for downloads, maybe it's a failure.
But you said: "... and I gotta say, I'm happy with the results".
This is very important, you do what you like, and share it with us. We liked it. It's a work of yours. This is not a failure.
Don't worry about a download counter, you are always (the great) Eddy Zykov.

This is my opinions ofc, and i hope it will help you rather than feel even more bad.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 18 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

James, on 18 February 2014 - 04:43 AM, said:

I always thought those games were more popular because you could be an absolute cock to other people, justified through gameplay somewhat, rather than the survival aspects of it.

I have Rust but don't play it and I only play 7DTD with people I know.

But in a few hours I'll be switching my gaming style to a new one being released called Banished which looks quite interesting.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options