Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Nitroglycerin - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Nitroglycerin

After seven long months, lots of technical problems and all manner of other mishaps, Nitroglycerin is here.

Attached Image: duke0008.png Attached Image: duke0010.png Attached Image: duke0009.png
Nitroglycerin picks up where Quantum Physics left off. Duke exits the EDF Base by riding an elevator back to street level. In the North of the once popular holiday destination of Seaside city the industrial zone is dark and mostly disused. The EDF have learned that the alien invasion stems from a ship that was crash landed near the old city hall, these aliens weren't meant to invade, they were merely a scouting party, but when they crashed they deployed troops to find parts to repair their ship. The problem is that if the scouting party fix that ship, there are bound to be other aliens waiting to hear from them and if they hear Duke Nukem is around, they will probably all descend on the planet and cause a war.

Where you come in, Duke, is that you must get to that ship and stop the aliens taking off. EDF want to raid it for technology and search it for evidence of the location of the alien home planet, there is a small issue however, namely that the EDF, Police and Army barricaded the city to slow the aliens down - you need to blow that barricade to get to the old city hall - the problem with this is that they also removed all high explosives from the city... As you hear the aliens trying to blast their ship out of the dirt and start it's engines in the distance you know you must find the ingredients to make simple dynamite, blow the barricade to pieces and face whatever is on the other side, take too long and there is no telling what will happen.

Download; https://www.mediafir...yiylakzob221r6x

Interesting random notes;
> This was developed on three different computers due to hardware problems!
> The map was designed for Polymer with lights disabled but any renderer should work.

> This is the first map I have made that is larger than 1MB.

> Most items can be gotten in any order, you need to press use to pick them up.

> Contrary to the above, the clock item wouldn't work with a switch for unknown reasons.

> The map has more than one ending, if you take longer than 30 minutes you get the bad ending.

> DNUNLOCK will break the map completely, don't use it!

> Seriously - the monitors in the chemical refinery are NOT joking!

Have fun.
Thanks to Methy for beta testing.

Freaking sweet map! Not sure if people take this as a compliment around here, but it reminded me of a map that would be from Goldeneye 64. Took me about 14 minutes.

I noticed some bugs here and there, like the door to the Chemical Factory will squish you sometimes and if you jump at a bad angle at one of the strippers in the bar, you will get squished. But everything else seemed to work just fine! :(

Also, I kept getting blown up after I got the chemicals and put them together in the hallway with the octobrains. What's up with that? Eventually I survived because I had two atomic healths and a medkit.

User is offline   MetHy 

The screens (as well as the readme file, as well as High Treason's post above, it's even highlited in color) tell you the thing is highly explosive, so running or shooting could result in it exploding. It's like in the laboratoy of Resident Evil Remake.

View PostMetHy, on 10 February 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

The screens (as well as the readme file, as well as High Treason's post above, it's even highlited in color) tell you the thing is highly explosive, so running or shooting could result in it exploding. It's like in the laboratoy of Resident Evil Remake.

Ohh, thanks, I didn't read clearly :(

User is offline   Steambull 

The design and shading in this map was fucking sweet - I explored the environment just to look at it. Very authentic looking areas, and many impressive design ideas. Bravo!

Here's a few things on the negative side:
- Some of the indoor fights would've been better with more troopers and octabrains instead of enforcers and pigs because there wasn't always enough cover for avoiding fire.
- There was way too much health - I think that at least half of those +30 health items could've been changed into +10 health (or removed completely).
- The huge amount of decorative doors (ones that weren't made to be opened) was a bit annoying and bad for conveyance.
- The spritework was glitchy in classic mode because a lot of the sprite structures seemed to lack one-way visibility.

I played CGS and it took me 34 minutes (I had trouble finding the clock, partly because of the many doors which I mentioned above, so I ended up re-visiting all the places I had been in).

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Nice one again. Somewhat better flow than Quantum Physics. Finished in time even though I'm not a fast player.

User is offline   faked 

I enjoyed this VERY MUCH!As the others have said,freaking sweet! :blink:

Finally got to play this map and I really liked it, mainly because of its non-linear flow, neat design tricks here and there and even some kind of a chemical puzzle. The part where you need to crawl in order to avoid the explosion is pretty interesting; I can see a huge array of door sectors outside the map controlling it, one quite impressive contraption. =P

In short, the map plays well and has a distinct look. Looking forward to see more of your stuff! Maybe I'd wish the outdoor location to be more detailed or something.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Nice work HT, I like your style of "reality" mapping.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options