Duke4.net Forums: Jeremy Soule Offers A News Crumb! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jeremy Soule Offers A News Crumb!  "maybe it's more like a molecule..."

User is offline   jchar_m 

Taken from J. Soule's latest blog on his MySpace.

Thanks for your support of my music and I hope you'll enjoy my work in the music industry as you have in games. And I want to especially stress that we aren't going to shy away from games. Artistry Entertainment is still in full operation and we're scoring Gaia Online, Guild Wars 2, Duke Nukem Forever (yes, it will ship) and other major titles that you know and love.

This just confirms that Soule's scoring DNF. Does it mean that it's going to be released semi-soonish-maybe-in-the-next-2-years? *shrug* Is it a molecular crumb o' news? You bet your ass.

User is offline   trackit 

what does it mean you ask? absolutely nothing

User is offline   Psyrgery 

Big hooray for something we knew (or didn't know...)

The big deal is... When will it f*ing ship? :rolleyes:

User is offline   Kathy 

Huh? It has been known for years that Soule is scoring DNF. The company probably has a contract to score DNF. I'm pretty sure he already scored something(teaser at least). So that 3dRealms could have a feedback on the score and such.

User is offline   X-Vector 

We Scor Your Crap

User is offline   Lead 

Yeah we knew this a long time ago.

I knew when Lee Jackson suddenly vanished from 3DR that long standing GB comment about there being no music in the game wasn't going to last. I think there is a strong possibility that Lee just wasn't working out for where they wanted to go. I think having done grabbag might have bought him some confidence, but as game score quality demands approached that of movie scores it became more obvious that he wasn't the kind of person they needed.

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

As long as it kicks ass, Doom features the best soundtrack to date(for obvious reasons) :rolleyes:

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostLead, on Mar 17 2009, 12:08 AM, said:

Yeah we knew this a long time ago.

I knew when Lee Jackson suddenly vanished from 3DR that long standing GB comment about there being no music in the game wasn't going to last. I think there is a strong possibility that Lee just wasn't working out for where they wanted to go. I think having done grabbag might have bought him some confidence, but as game score quality demands approached that of movie scores it became more obvious that he wasn't the kind of person they needed.

He was also a sound designer. And his work in Duke 3d was fantastic in terms of that. For whatever reason he left, if he had stayed he could have been a great asset in sounds department.

I can't believe how much talent was(is?) wasted in the development of DNF. And most of the stuff they've created is gone.

User is offline   Lead 

View PostLotan, on Mar 16 2009, 09:20 PM, said:

He was also a sound designer. And his work in Duke 3d was fantastic in terms of that. For whatever reason he left, if he had stayed he could have been a great asset in sounds department.

I can't believe how much talent was(is?) wasted in the development of DNF. And most of the stuff they've created is gone.

I think at the time they decided to post on the forums in response to someone asking about him to say he was no longer at the company, they were kind of quick to point out that Lee only did a fair portion, like half the ambient musics in the game when most people assumed he did them all. I think it was just a case where he was good but as quality requirements got higher with videogames he might not have been quite what they wanted\needed.

I think I remember reading something John Carmack wrote about artists at iD, where when things started becoming more demanding in the visual department, people who were doing the old style Doom\Quake 1 stuff didn't quite have what it took to produce content at the level things were moving to.

User is offline   Kathy 

I assumed he was responsible for the sounds in the game being the sound designer. And Duke3d was quite advanced in that regard.

I've never even played the game with music, btw.

View PostLead, on Mar 17 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

I think at the time they decided to post on the forums in response to someone asking about him to say he was no longer at the company, they were kind of quick to point out that Lee only did a fair portion, like half the ambient musics in the game when most people assumed he did them all. I think it was just a case where he was good but as quality requirements got higher with videogames he might not have been quite what they wanted\needed.

I think I remember reading something John Carmack wrote about artists at iD, where when things started becoming more demanding in the visual department, people who were doing the old style Doom\Quake 1 stuff didn't quite have what it took to produce content at the level things were moving to.

i remember an old pc gamer mag ( i think from late 96 , it had jedi knight "scoop" on the cover )

3DR was talking about how 2/3 of the Duke3D team went away to form Ritual and they asked George if that would impact prey badly as those people were known working on it... and george just said , don't worry they only did little parts of the game , they re not very important

i m going to produce prey and finish it , like duke 3D ( this while he had to work on SW...)

then in the same "story" pcg interviewed some of those guys that went away from 3DR , and well they said, no actually we were pretty important for Prey , but we didn't like the management of the project so we went and formed our own team

and well... at that time pcg wrote to wait for prey but what happened is pretty visible to everyone

prey got delayed , delayed then canned then released with HH in 2006... and the article was from 96...

this is just to say that maybe Lee did more than what george said..

This post has been edited by Luther Blissett: 18 March 2009 - 12:38 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

It seems, you're talking about these.

http://www.3drealms....ess/022597.html
http://www.3drealms....ess/031097.html

The information concerning your message:
Broussard: "So now they're trying to take some credit for Prey, a game that will not be released for over a year and was restarted from scratch after they left. These guys just don't give up. At least they admitted their mistake on Duke Nukem 3D."

View PostLotan, on Mar 18 2009, 04:03 AM, said:

It seems, you're talking about these.

http://www.3drealms....ess/022597.html
http://www.3drealms....ess/031097.html

The information concerning your message:
Broussard: "So now they're trying to take some credit for Prey, a game that will not be released for over a year and was restarted from scratch after they left. These guys just don't give up. At least they admitted their mistake on Duke Nukem 3D."

Yes! that one

but that s one side of the medal , if i could find the pcg mag again .. i could scan it for you ( or if some other pcg subscriber is listening..give me a hand:D )

and i think time has spoken the truth anyway about the prey matter , 3DR were pretty bad on the management side and i think too much damage control actually creates a distorted reality for them in which things that don't actually work are doing just fine

I was wrong about Ritual... sorry i sometimes confuse Ritual and Hipnotic :\ since they're the same company but switched names

so i sometimes refer to them as ritual , my bad.

*doublepost*

This post has been edited by Luther Blissett: 18 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostLotan, on Mar 18 2009, 12:03 PM, said:

Interesting quote by Stephen Hornback: "They're using Duke Nukem 3D to bolster their own company," commented Hornback. "I find they are even less ethical than I thought they were when they snuck out of Apogee in the middle of the night quitting without giving notice!"

Guess who he ended up working for: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/v...eveloperId,730/

User is offline   Kathy 

I found all those quotes from developers in press release really disturbing. Like it's some kind of war between two teams. Really unpleasant. And in the official press release?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options