Duke4.net Forums: CBP Episode 'Duke Hard' - Duke4.net Forums

• 27 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

CBP Episode 'Duke Hard'  "One building, one map(per) per floor, small maps"

User is offline   Steambull 

I'm onto something, the idea is basically to rip off the first game of "Die Hard Trilogy" for PS1 as well as I can... Basically think: and office room under construction. Lots of glass to break, and the construction material making it maze-like. I'll try to go with that, whether it will become a part of the project or not remains to be seen.

EDIT: I think that MetHy did a great thing in blazing up something like this which is easy to take part in for everyone. The template, small maps etc... This is how you get the community active, so Kudos.

This post has been edited by What: 24 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

Nice idea, I'm in.

User is offline   MetHy 

I love Cage's latest template. Much better than mine :( I did mine really quickly. I think we should do with his.

The advantage of Cage's template is that we can even make the staircase not be in the middle of the room, but rather against the south wall. Do you guys think it's better to have in the middle or completely south? If people have already started making their maps though we'll stick with having it in the middle.

If someone has a great idea for a rooftop boss fight map, go ahead using the template and reserve the slot.

I'll be making the very first floor, the entrance.

Also I forgot to mention but I think it's better if everyone sticks to the same visual rules. I don't think we need TROR, and no hi-res textures or custom textures either. What do you say?

I'm glad to see so many people like the idea, this could turn out really well.

Edit : so James' floor is done, it's really good with a nice layout with great use of the available space, everything I was thinking of.

I've added 3 new rules to the first post :
-No TROR, no hi res textures, no custom textures
-Try to add at least 1 secret if you can
-Choose and add a music in midi format (can be anything, can be from the original game). If you don't provide a music, it will be dethtoll unless someone else can think of a fitting music for your floor.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

User is offline   Cage 

View PostMetHy, on 24 January 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

I'll be making the very first floor, the entrance.

Yeah, I wanted to suggest an entrance/lobby introductory area.

I've got an idea for a floor, so I might be actually able to create something.

EDIT: You can add me to the list with a renovations/construction floor.

This post has been edited by Cage: 24 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostCage, on 24 January 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

EDIT: You can add me to the list with a renovations/construction floor.

Steambull is already kinda doing an office under construction though...

Btw can I get a look at James' section? I just want to get an idea what other mappers are doing in terms of difficulty and playtime.

User is offline   Cage 

Shit. Knowing my luck I should have known something exactly like this will happen.

I'm sure both maps will be different in visual style and maybe gameplay.

• Honored Donor

Well I'll try and start my section today.

Btw, the rules don't say anything about no polymer lights!

Posted Image

User is offline   neoacix 

What a great idea!

Count me in!!!
Will do a laboratory theme...

But I'm a bit confused...
Cages template on page 2?
The last one I can see is this:
http://forums.duke4....post__p__182931
... and this is on page 1 for me.

So... is this the right template or is there gonna be another one?
And if yes, what is the difference between this 2 templates in the .rar file and why not link this template directly in the first post?

And what the hell means "For gameplay sake, each map will star weapon-less." ?
I guess you mean "start", but what does this mean for mapping?
No guns in the starting area, no guns on the floor ever?
Or should the player just shoot everything against the wall till all weapons are empty before he enters the floor?
Duke don't have the ability to drop weapons afaik...
I'm realy confused. ^^

How to deliver the map?
Upload and send a PM to MetHy, or can I just link it here?

• Honored Donor

That's the correct one. I'm using the template without the fall, but it can easily be changed later if needed.

The player starts weaponless at the start of each map so that all the mappers don't have to worry about balancing their section against weapons from all the previous sections, and are allowed to do things like "get the shrinker/explosives to get past the crack/tiny hallway". This happens automatically whenever the player starts the map on a texture that causes damage (see the start of E1L3). You don't need to worry about here because it's already set up in the template that the player starts off on a damaging texture.

I'd suggest PM'ing the map to MetHy instead of uploading it here. We've got a sizable amount of mappers so it'd be better to release it to the public all at once rather than have it so everyone can look in on the progress.

User is offline   neoacix 

Thanks for the real quick reply, you old cardassian tailor. :(
Will reserve a bottle of Kanar for you, my friend. ^^

Sooo... NOW I will start mapping. :D

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I'd like to get my feet wet in mapping. I'm in, tentatively, unless my creativity fails me.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostPlain Simple Garek, on 24 January 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

Btw can I get a look at James' section? I just want to get an idea what other mappers are doing in terms of difficulty and playtime.

Why are you asking him and not me dude? :( I made the map, if you want to see it that's fine but ask me first.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

So what kind of sections do we already have? I don't want to have duplicates so I'm thinking of trying to fit maybe a very small Duke Burger and a legal office into my floor, though I'm not entirely sure as these things tend to change on the fly. If not, I guess a few regular office type areas can't hurt.

User is offline   Jblade 

I made an executive bathhouse/sauna suite, so having some offices for high-flying executives would fit the theme pretty well.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Gonna try right now. Let's see what's the result :D

Anyway I'm not sure I can finish it :( BTW which size the map must be? I just checked the template :D

This post has been edited by Norvak: 25 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

• Honored Donor

View PostJames, on 25 January 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

Why are you asking him and not me dude? :( I made the map, if you want to see it that's fine but ask me first.

I thought it might be faster =P

Anyway I've done about 90% of mine, I'll finish it off after I come back from dinner. It's a high tech sort of abstract thing with moving/rotating sections.

• Ancient Blood God

A theme is forming in my head (and in the .MAP format), but I need to start applying ideas for the actual rooms.

• Music Producer

BTW I'm going for a surrealistic style, so no probs with duplicated themes :(

Maybe we should start a private conversation or something like that?

• Ancient Blood God

Roughly 40% in.

• Honored Donor

Well my section is 99.95% finished, and it turned out pretty well (I spent several of hours on it today so it better be), but it's really, really late here so I'll do the other 0.05% tomorrow, which is mostly item/enemy balancing and one stubborn bug that needs to be fixed.

User is offline   bird 

That's a great idea! I would like to contribute too but don't take my word for granted. My theme would be on a crack house/brothel-based scheme.

User is offline   Paul B 

This idea reminds me of the old Wolf3D game with an elevator to the next floor at the end of each level. Since you guys are sticking to the classic style of mapping more or less you should make the episode playable in Megaton as well and introduce Co-op play. Just a suggestion =)

I really like the concept behind this in a Duke map. It's also nice to see so many talented people jump on board. I'm really looking forward to playing the finished product. Very cool idea Methy!

User is offline   Merlijn 

Nice idea, count me in!

Some ideas about themes:
-a cocktail bar
-Archive/library
-A gym/fitness studio (might be hard to pull off with the original resources though)

I think I'm going for a cocktail bar. :(

User is offline   MetHy 

Nice to see this is going really well really fast. I haven't even started my map yet (I was completely overtaken by work and life today, I turned on my computer for the first time at 8pm which is probably a new record) but I should have time to start (or even do it completely) tomorrow as it's sunday.

View PostCage, on 24 January 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

Shit. Knowing my luck I should have known something exactly like this will happen.

I'm sure both maps will be different in visual style and maybe gameplay.

Yeah it's not a problem really but it will be appreciated if we don't have any more offices I guess.

View PostPlain Simple Garek, on 24 January 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

Well I'll try and start my section today.

Btw, the rules don't say anything about no polymer lights!

I don't think having ONE single map with polymer lights would be consistent...

View Postneoacix, on 24 January 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

Sooo... NOW I will start mapping. :D

Nice :D What theme?

View PostHendricks266, on 24 January 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

I'd like to get my feet wet in mapping. I'm in, tentatively, unless my creativity fails me.

I'm sure it will turn out well!

View PostNorvak, on 25 January 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Gonna try right now. Let's see what's the result :D

:D

View PostMister Sinister, on 25 January 2014 - 05:14 AM, said:

Maybe we should start a private conversation or something like that?

Well to be honest I'd rather keep this thread active so that more mappers can see it.

View PostPaul B, on 25 January 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

Since you guys are sticking to the classic style of mapping more or less you should make the episode playable in Megaton as well and introduce Co-op play. Just a suggestion =)

I don't think Megaton supports custom episodes yet does it? At least not in the workshop. In any case, I will add co-op spawn points to any map that doesn't have them though. Are you not gonna make a map for the episode?
Edit : Also, even if Megaton eventually supports episode, it won't be possible to play this one as the episode limit is still (I think ?) like for the original game in Jonof while it's now 64 in Eduke.
This will be an Eduke exclusive, but we could advertise it on Megaton by putting one of the maps there.
But then again, I guess that for Megaton it could be divided into 2 episodes considering every map starts weaponless anyway, but it's still kinda shitty, and only if/when Megaton supports episodes in the workshop.

View PostMerlijn, on 25 January 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

Nice idea, count me in!
[...]
I think I'm going for a cocktail bar. :(

:D

I'm going to update the OP now.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

• Music Producer

MetHy, you should add a parking zone to the suggested maps list.

User is offline   MetHy 

I was just talking about that with Daedolon. We thought it'd be a great idea if it was a secret map considering that it would floor -1 and the player start at the first floor, considering that the aim is to go UP, not down.
We thought it could use a ventilation/ducts system to get there (you fall down in it), and then get back up using the elevator. It makes sense because, the elevator will be out of order (I'll put an "out of order" sign on it in my map, the lobby area, and have Duke say "Damn..." when he sees it and realizes he has to go all the way up using the stairs) but you'll power it up during the secret level.

I guess for it to make even more sense, it would be cool if the entrance to the secret stage would be in the last floor, just before the rooftop fight. Would be kinda of ironic to go all the way down once you're there, too :(

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

User is offline   Cage 

View PostMetHy, on 25 January 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Yeah it's not a problem really but it will be appreciated if we don't have any more offices I guess.

Well, my area is not that much of an office, it's a floor in the early phase of construction/renovation so it looks really raw and industrial. Plutonium pack's barrels work pretty well as subsitute for paint cans, lol

I'd also like to suggest a high standard penthouse suite as one of the levels :(

View PostMerlijn, on 25 January 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

-A gym/fitness studio (might be hard to pull off with the original resources though)

That's what they want you to think :D

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMetHy, on 25 January 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Are you not gonna make a map for the episode?

I would like to contribute but I don't want to make something just for the sake of adding a part. I need to get some type of idea I can run with design wise and If I can come up with something before the end of the dead line I will submit what I have. But please don't count on me as i'm really slow at putting stuff together. I just need to get some inspiration / theme for a floor that I can do. If I do create something I'm going to probably try and make my single floor look like two floors without the use of TROR or have a vaulted ceiling in one part. =D

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

• Honored Donor

Just handed up my section to MetHy. From when the map file was created, to when I submitted it, was half an hour short of a 24 hour period, so good timing Posted Image

The map takes around 5 minutes to finish, with 40 enemies and 2 secrets.

@Paul B and anyone else; if you're worried about building too slow, copy/paste is your friend. This sort of CBP doesn't call for Gambini level detail.

Edit: I know the level limit is 64 in eduke32 and 11 in the original game, but would it be 32 in JFDuke32 and hence Megaton? And there's no way we're going to reach 32 mappers.
Btw what do we do about the txt file that will be included? I'm assuming each mapper would submit a short paragraph about their map?

2nd edit: I'm also assuming we're not implementing difficulty levels?

This post has been edited by Plain Simple Garek: 25 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

Share this topic:

• 27 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options