Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D - E3 1996 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D - E3 1996

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

I don't know if you guys have seen this before, but I just stumbled upon some footage from Duke 3D at E3, 1996.

Starts at 40:14

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I don't think I've ever seen this, but I have seen pictures of that same guy dressed as Duke before. Good find!

Yeah good find, that's pretty rockin', but Dat Quake Footage.

This post has been edited by Coryyne: 15 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Yeah, I liked the Quake footage more aha

User is offline   KareBear 

Can I get a timestamp for the Quake footage please?

User is offline   Lunick 

It's just before the Duke stuff.

• Slipgate Studios

More Quake Footage from E3 1996 in this video (15:12)
https://www.youtube....wNA3HHCF4#t=913

• Slipgate Studios

And some DNF 1998 Booth Footage :D (00:28)
https://www.youtube...._XqM-7b9Yc#t=29

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 16 January 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

And some DNF 1998 Booth Footage :D (00:28)
https://www.youtube...._XqM-7b9Yc#t=29

Nice, but the Prey footage is better ;)

Would love to actually get a copy of the Quake 2-era DNF, that one looks by far the most interesting.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I'd rather have the UE1 version.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

One of my prized Duke collection items... I think it's an E3 badge, but I'm not sure:

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDial V for Viper, on 17 January 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

I'd rather have the UE1 version.

You mean like the 2001 trailer? 90% of that 'game' was fabrication.

User is offline   Kathy 

I'm pretty sure Charlie confirmed most of the stuff there being quite real. There are somewhere scene by scene commentaries by him.

There you go. http://forums.duke4....2001-breakdown/

This post has been edited by Kathy: 17 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Sure "90%" was hyperbole, but only 53% of the things he listed are listed as "playable" with no caveats. And just because they are playable doesn't mean they fit together in any coherent fashion. That game was in alpha stages, plain and simple.

User is online   Striker 

• Auramancer

It still would be neat to be able to play with the UE1 version, if only for the sake of exploring what was in it, or hell, even to modify it. (UE1 had a knack of being heavily modifiable without source code. See: Nerf ArenaBlast Community Pack)

I'm most interested in the 2003 version, though... It seems like the 2001 build, but further along in development.

Hell, I'd settle even with the 2006 version, it still looks better than what the final product turned out to be. Seemed more like Half-Life 2, with actual health (augmented with a DN:MP Style EGO System.) instead of regeneration, and (seemingly) more open level design (Jetpack!). That's one thing that really pisses me off about the 2011 release, being that the levels still have leftover interactive stuff from that version like fountains which became useless from the change in health system.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 18 January 2014 - 05:21 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostELFDICK, on 17 January 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

You mean like the 2001 trailer? 90% of that 'game' was fabrication.

No, the final build of it before the third reboot.

The Quake 2 build comes as the most "pure" to me because they were hot off the success of Duke3D, and I'm sure they had things/concepts/story/etc (Bombshell) fleshed out and complete because of the "freshness" and excitement of a sequel. To me, it's the truest representation of DNF - they must have had the game mostly ready to go before they decided they needed to "keep up" with the times and started changing shit.

Just my two cents. The UE1 version is still damn cool though, don't get me wrong!

This post has been edited by Coryyne: 20 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

• Slipgate Studios

I agree with Coryyne - I still remember one of the Previews of a "Behind Closed Doors" presentation by George Broussand at E3 1998, talking about how their skeletal animation worked, showing off how they could put any weapons into any characters hands, etc.

"For instance, when you drop down the console in Duke Nukem 4Ever, it comes down looking like the left lens of a pair of sunglasses. It's labelled the "Shades Operating System," and featured green computer-type layered over a shaded view of the action. If you select something that requires a submenu, it scrolls over to the right lens for more options. Now we know why Duke never takes his damn sunglasses off!

That kind of attention to detail is great -- and it's not about the technology, it's about ... well, Duke! "

And:

Later we went into a level Broussard described as "The zoo," which was used to showcase and test the different effects they were working on. "Let's get a closer look at Gus here," he said, finding a small room with nothing but Gus in it. "You can really see the facial detail on that guy," he explained. Sure enough, the lines around his eyes and the crinkly skin around his mouth were rendered in great detail. The texture looked very fluid as he looked around back and forth. Broussard typed in a command or two to force the model to talk.

"Heheheh ... you think those sunglasses make you look cool or somethun'?" Gus said on screen. The mouth and head motions were animated in time with the words -- I'd never seen anything like it in a first-person shooter. Even Half-Life, whose character interactions were stunning, looked a little stiff in comparison.

"His hat and pick-axe are totally separate items," Broussard continued. "We can take any item in the game and hook it anywhere on the model and it will work interchangeably. What I'm going to do now is have him drop his axe, and then he can pick up Duke's gun..."

Broussard typed commands into the game using a scripting language they'd built just for the engine, and Gus's axe dropped to the ground. He then attached the model of Duke's gun into Gus's hand, and started Gus's "run" animation ... The old prospector started running in place, carrying Duke's gun in his hand. As he pumped his fists, the gun moved in perfect synchronization. "Any actor in the game can hold any model."

For an encore we walked into another room featuring the Duke himself. Sure enough, the Duke had three different pairs of sunglasses he could swap on and off at will. "

Here is the Full Interview btw:

"It's late morning. The fog is thick around the lake, the water gray as it tears past the speeding boat. Suddenly a transport chopper descends from the fog, hovering a couple hundred feet in front of the speeding watercraft Its rear panel opens; men on jet skis drop out the back, plunging below the surface of the water.

A few moments later they burst out of the lake and high into the air, engines squealing. Then the jet planes roar by, spewing missiles. Other boats emerge from the fog behind. Guns pierce the fog with fire. Duke never takes off his shades.

Dukenizing
C'mon, was this an action movie or a video game? George Broussard calmly turned Duke Nukem around and started blasting away. Jets exploded into huge fireballs, the debris splashing into the water as the boat roared on. The jet skis circled Duke's boat like angry hornets.

One of the other ships roared a little too close and Duke put the smack down, shattering it in a massive fireball. We couldn't believe we were watching the Quake II engine.

"Right now the fog doesn't change," Broussard explained. "But we'll be able to do things with volumetric fog-- you'll be able to go to different areas of the lake where it'll be denser or less dense. You'll be going along, and all of a sudden it'll get so foggy you can't see three feet behind the boat, and things'll be comin' out atcha."

Scenes like these, from the recent Electronics Entertainment Exposition, made the recent announcements so startling: Duke Nukem 4Ever was scrapping the Quake II engine in favor of Unreal. The fact of the matter was that everybody left E3 with the impression that Duke Nukem 4Ever had done amazing things with the Quake II engine, with more to come. It was clear a lot of work had gone into ... well, into "Dukenizing" it.

So, what can fans of the Unreal Engine expect to see? Certain things, like volumetric fog and lens flares, are already part of Unreal. (Duke's developers were joking about taking lens flares "over the top," by having them glint off of every possible object, including gold teeth or pierced navels...)

Other elements, like the models and artwork, should transition over fairly seamlessly to the new engine. A few things are going to have to be rebuilt entirely into the new codebase. To give you an idea of what to expect, here's a quick roundup of what visitors to E3 were treated with:

Third-person Action Sequences
"This time we'll be in third-person," Broussard pointed out as he loaded a new level. Duke was on the back of a steam train as it emerged from a tunnel and wound its way through a mountain valley. Instead of a first-person perspective, we were viewing the action from just behind Duke -- Tomb-Raider style. No surprise that he was manning a huge-ass gun mounted to the back of the train.

"We've got the ability to do third-person pretty easily with this thing. In fact, there may even be times when we force the third-person viewpoint, just to break it up a little. One thing we want to do, for instance, is have him in third-person riding around on a Harley -- with a shotgun -- that kind of thing. There's no reason we can't have him jump in a forklift and drive it around."

Don't be surprised if you get to jump a Jet ski off of the Hoover Dam as you blow it to smithereens.

Hardware Only Support
"You're going to see a little more bigger areas, a little more polygons on the screen," said Broussard. "We're probably not going to support software. That's up in the air at the moment, but I'm pretty sure software's going to go away. That's gonna enable us to do even more complex areas."

Later, we entered a nighttime mountain level with a huge highway overpass. It was possible to explore the big canyon below or walk along the highway above it all. Expanses like that aren't really possible in software using the Quake II engine, as Broussard explained, which is one motivation that prompted them to consider hardware only. They were concerned about making a great game, and didn't want to saddlebag it by cramping up the levels. (Wide open areas like this may have influenced the decision to switch to Unreal.)

The Characters
Next was a demo of the characters and animation. Broussard narrated as we walked into an old mine facility, filled with rust-colored fog: "We think they have a lot of resolution and detail in the characters. This is Gus right here, he's sitting here chopping away at a wall."

We walked up to a pudgy, grizzled old prospector. "Basically, Duke can't get through this wall here, but we can walk over to Gus, and he'll walk over and take care of it for us..." Gus strolled over and started whacking the wall, which crumbled away. 'Thar's Gold in them thar hills!' Gus shouted as Duke stormed through.

Later we went into a level Broussard described as "The zoo," which was used to showcase and test the different effects they were working on. "Let's get a closer look at Gus here," he said, finding a small room with nothing but Gus in it. "You can really see the facial detail on that guy," he explained. Sure enough, the lines around his eyes and the crinkly skin around his mouth were rendered in great detail. The texture looked very fluid as he looked around back and forth. Broussard typed in a command or two to force the model to talk.

"Heheheh ... you think those sunglasses make you look cool or somethun'?" Gus said on screen. The mouth and head motions were animated in time with the words -- I'd never seen anything like it in a first-person shooter. Even Half-Life, whose character interactions were stunning, looked a little stiff in comparison.

"His hat and pick-axe are totally separate items," Broussard continued. "We can take any item in the game and hook it anywhere on the model and it will work interchangeably. What I'm going to do now is have him drop his axe, and then he can pick up Duke's gun..."

Broussard typed commands into the game using a scripting language they'd built just for the engine, and Gus's axe dropped to the ground. He then attached the model of Duke's gun into Gus's hand, and started Gus's "run" animation ... The old prospector started running in place, carrying Duke's gun in his hand. As he pumped his fists, the gun moved in perfect synchronization. "Any actor in the game can hold any model."

For an encore we walked into another room featuring the Duke himself. Sure enough, the Duke had three different pairs of sunglasses he could swap on and off at will. :D

...Strippers?
Yup. Wouldn't be a Duke game without 'em! Broussard demonstrated a quick nightclub level. "We have every intention of motion capturing these if we can ... We'll keep it within the constraints of PG-13, kinda like we did with Duke 3D, but we're gonna step on the line as hard as we can. Give people what they want!"

Water, fire, smoke and mirrors...
Broussard showed off some more effects. "You can see we have turbulent water. We've also got procedural effects on top of it. There's some actual calculations going on to change the patterns in the water. We can do hundreds of these. Now that the system's in place, it's real easy to go into the editor and fix it. We can do sine waves, cosine waves, we can do fire and smoke and whatever you want with this effect."

In another room were a pair of small campfires. The fires burned and the light around them flickered -- as he circled the flames it was clear that they were fully three-dimensional. "This is something we're almost happy with. The Unreal fire looks really good -- in fact the whole game looks pretty awesome -- but most of their fire effects are just a couple of polygons that are crossed and then procedural on top of it. We're trying to do actual 3D fire and we've got the effect almost where we like it. As soon as we mix in some white smoke and some black smoke, I think we'll be there."

We walked to another room where another creature was running in place. "Basically, we can stick any procedural effect on any model," Broussard demonstrated. The character running in place looked to be liquid metal, like the second Terminator movie. A few script commands later, the model was nearly transparent, distorting the room behind him like the Predator.

"You can even have a guy look like he's on fire, because you get the fire effect going and put it on him."

Scripting Language
The short commands Broussard would type into the console to affect the models and behavior in the game were just a hint of a larger scripting language beneath the surface. Every level could have hundreds of small scripts associated with it, similar to the scripting language that Ritual is incorporating into Sin.

"You can layer all these things on top of each other and associate them with a guy -- you know, do this, do that -- and string them all together, and that's how you build your AI." he said. "You do that right in the editor, so it's really easy to access that sort of thing."

"By the time we get through the game we're going to have 2 or 300 script functions, all really small and compact. You won't have a single script to do everything for a guy, you'll have like 200 small functions for each behavior that you just lay on top of each other. That makes it real easy for users to modify."

The Duke Nukem ... "Attitude"
It's hard to define, and yet you know it when you see it. It's the attitude that made Duke Nukem 3D such a cool game to play, even after Quake came out with much better technology. It's the strippers and the wisecracks. It's the big guns and colossal explosions. It's ... well, cheesy. In all the right ways.

It would be pretty easy for 3D Realms to run the Duke franchise into the ground until it stops bleeding cash for them, but from what I saw at E3 that was the farthest thing from their minds. They were particular about every detail. Everything they did oozed the Duke attitude.

For instance, when you drop down the console in Duke Nukem 4Ever, it comes down looking like the left lens of a pair of sunglasses. It's labelled the "Shades Operating System," and featured green computer-type layered over a shaded view of the action. If you select something that requires a submenu, it scrolls over to the right lens for more options. Now we know why Duke never takes his damn sunglasses off!

That kind of attention to detail is great -- and it's not about the technology, it's about ... well, Duke!

The Impact of Using Unreal

Having met the 3D Realms crew, and having seen what they were doing, I'm pretty confident that they'll be able to use any game engine to make a winner. It's also safe to say that when George Broussard says, "We never cared about the $$$. We care about the game and we felt this was the right decision for the game," as he did in the recent Duke4Ever.com interview, that he's probably talking straight.

There's no doubt that they lost a lot of money in the move, and despite their claims, all of the work they did to create the effects listed above will have to be scrapped in order to convert everything to Unreal. But one can be sure that the decision stems from a commitment to make a better game -- one that's not going to let the Duke fans down.

What remains to be seen is wether the Unreal engine will suit itself to a fast-paced game like Duke. Chances are, the engine will be unrecognizable after they get their hands on it for a couple months.

Duke Nukem was expected sometime this Winter, most likely early 1999. No release date has been announced but the transition to Unreal will probably add to the development time -- keep your eyes open for Duke Nukem 4Ever to hit shelves in the Spring or possibly even Summer of next year.

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 20 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Thanks for posting/reposting that Frederik. I know i've read part of that before, and it's been awhile. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 20 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

The id-tech stuff looked nice but it was only a few months of work, right? I was under the impression the early Unreal builds were more substantial. I still think the everything from the first PCG Unreal-based screenshots (1999) to the E3 trailer (2001) was killer. When they switched to real-time lighting in 2001, I guess the cycle of iteration began. Scott Alden and Andy Hanson posted over on Shacknews about how they were kicking ass up until the switch.

It was the stuff that I saw in 2000 that got me excited to join 3DR.

The demo in 2001 was the pinnacle of fun development... I guess about 6-8 months after that demo it was decided to switch rendering technologies (real time lighting and camera in the head),

That's when it all started to go downhill.

There was a time when they were way ahead of everyone else. I have a podcast from 2006 where Romero's interviewed about checking out DNF after Daikatana went gold. He said there was stuff that he'd still never seen in any shooter before.

Does anyone know the details of the 2006's departures? I would've thought shipping Prey (a game under 3DR's banner) would've energized the team. Were they simply fed up with working on something for 8 years with no end in sight, or did the project's direction change?

User is offline   Kathy 

Wasn't there an another alleged restart of sorts? Although, there were no restarts per se except id_tech->unreal_engine switch.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 20 January 2014 - 12:10 AM, said:

-snip- (very good stuff)

Damn, if they had just finished with what they had in hands... now the time has passed (a lot) and all they achieved was wreck Duke's reputation and give material for bandwagon haters.
Good stuff, have never heard about this presentation.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It sounds like the 1998 version at least was designed with lots of modding in mind, which would have been fantastic if it made it out the door. To me the 1998 version always seemed like the perfect stepping stone between Duke 3D and a more modern/matured Duke game.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options