Duke4.net Forums: Ken Silverman interview with Build todo list - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ken Silverman interview with Build todo list  "Apparently never given out before"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Not sure if this is worth making a new thread but here it is anyway, and I would have posted it in the Duke Nukem General section were it not for the Build todo list from back in the day which Ken claims he has never given out before.

This month Puritan did an interview with Ken over at Come Get Some. Most questions were oriented towards what Ken is up to these days with regards to Duke 3D (not much Posted Image ) and Build.
The interview can be found here: http://www.scent-88....uary/index.html just press the "interview" button.

The todo list is an interesting read, and with regards to the level editor I think several of those features have been implemented since then, such as the undo feature, restricting the vertical editing range, and proper pasting of sectors inside other sectors. There are some other interesting tidbits Ken was planning, such as true looking up and down for the classic renderer, as well as "real lighting" (what the hell could this be?) and "fancy shading" for explosions/flashlights/torches.

Also a reference to "Build2" no information on that. Take it as you will.

Assuming the eduke developers haven't seen this todo list before, I'd be interested in getting their thoughts on it.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Text extracted:
Spoiler

User is offline   Lunick 

Heh, Build2

User is offline   Fox 

An interview with Ken Silverman said:

My favorite would have to be LEM3. I also like the Roch and Bobsp series.

OMG

User is offline   Gambini 

I dont know why he calls it interview when it´s obviously a questionary

CGS : Have you built any DN3D maps yourself?
Ken S. : I have never used the DN3D version of Build for anything other than a boring rectangular test room with default gray textures.
CGS : If so, did you release any maps?
Ken S. : No. All of my work in Build was done in KenBuild.
CGS : Do you still touch Build?
Ken S. : No. If I'm inclined to do Build-style mapping today, I'd prefer to use Build2. What's that? Whoops. Let's pretend I never mentioned it, ok

On a side note. Can´t believe he´s already 39.

User is offline   Fox 

"An interview is a conversation between two or more people where questions are asked by the interviewer to elicit facts or statements from the interviewee." - Wikipedia

oh wikipedia righ! that site where anybody can come and edit it

User is offline   Paul B 

Sounds to me like he's a bit down. It also sounds like he hasn't really seen the potential of Polymer and how far its come from its earlier stages. It makes me wonder if he knows that his Build editor is still going strong in the Eduke community and that Mapster is practicaly Build2 overhalled and on Steroids. High quality maps are still constantly being made and released for the general public to this day. That should tell him something about his success as I don't know of any other 1990's game that still has an active online crowd worth mentioning.

Build2 was actually in the works according to some posts from Ken on his website:

12/24/2005: POLYTEX.ZIP: The beginnings of a successor to Build that never saw the light of day.
POLYTEX.ZIP (225,760 bytes, 12/24/2005): POLYTEX engine demo and source code. At one time, this was an exciting project that was going to be the next generation of Build. I started writing a polygon engine in late 1994 in order to keep up with Id Software's next game (Quake 1). Read the included text file to find out what happened.

Anyway, for a software programmer to have built something back in the early 90's and still have a following to this day using his engine on modern operating systems i'd say he did damn well. I still would favor Build over the Hammer editor or World Craft any day.

As for his tastes in maps you can tell they're a bit dated and its obvious he hasn't played Parkade.map =P

I'd really be curious to know what has been implemented from his notes in Eduke and what hasn't or if those points are going to be addressed?

In my opinion I think Ken should hook up with the Eduke team and finish what he started! =)

Thanks for sharing Micky!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 11 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostGambini, on 11 January 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

oh wikipedia righ! that site where anybody can come and edit it

Wikipedia > Gambini

I will edit it and put "interview is a conversation in which questions are done based on the answers and not just a list" you´ll see whos right then

User is offline   Fox 

Go ahead, do it.

User is offline   Jblade 

If you're a human and not a robot you can see Gambini's point. An interview is a back and forth between two people talking about a subject, that was just a questionnaire. Heh, Build 2 - I imagine it's probably voxel heavy, sounds interesting.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Here's a recent interview where Ken Silverman reveals he turned down a job offer from John Carmack. Imagine if those two teamed up!

http://videogamepotp...-silverman.html

J: You had some contact with John Carmack during the 90s, and he obviously had great admiration for you. Have you talked with him since the Build days?

KS: He emailed me a job offer a few years ago. I guess he was frustrated with his current employees. I declined it though because I didn't care to move to Texas. Other than that, no.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostPaul B, on 11 January 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

That should tell him something about his success as I don't know of any other 1990's game that still has an active online crowd worth mentioning.

Well the Doom community is very active, more than us. We're probably in 2nd place in terms of activity.

• Honored Donor

How active is the quake community?

User is offline   Jblade 

Out of the build engine games we're the most popular but the Doom and Quake community have far far more activity than we'll ever have.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I dunno if I would say Quake has "far far more activity than we'll ever have" at this point, but Doom has more than the rest of us combined, for sure.

User is offline   MetHy 

I thought we did better than Quake.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Well, Quake does have a handful of ports and few individual mods, but I don't think there's anything to the scale of usermaps we're pushing out.

Also, why does it matter?

User is offline   MetHy 

Well we're trying to cheer up Ken Silvermann by telling him his engine has the 2nd biggest active community for an old FPS :D

User is offline   Mark 

After reading some posts here I decided to do some Google searching for Doom sites to see where they are at these days. From all the screenshots and videos I saw I wasn't impressed. Granted I only searched for about an hour or so and more than likely missed the better sites. I'm familiar with the Doomsday engine but thats about it. Custom content and TCs for Doom were not jumping out at me. And thats what I was actually hoping to find.

• Ancient Blood God

There are no custom DOOM mods, it's all a mashup of textures from other games or gameplay enhancers for DOOM itself like the infamous Brutal Doom mod.

No respect.

User is offline   Mark 

So you think we may have the edge here on TCs and custom content?

User is offline   Fox 

No. While Doom mod can be messy, here the tendency is to never be completed.

• Ancient Blood God

View PostMark., on 12 January 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

So you think we may have the edge here on TCs and custom content?

Keep working on the maps, then yes :D

User is offline   Mark 

ouch :D

• Honored Donor

View PostDaedolon, on 12 January 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

Keep working on the maps, then yes :D

Hey, nobody pokes a stick at Mark. except me Posted Image

View PostFox, on 12 January 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

No. While Doom mod can be messy, here the tendency is to never be completed.

Time to turn all those effects you post pictures of in the "what are you working on now" thread into actual content Posted Image

So nobody has any speculation on what Ken might have meant by real lighting and fancy shading in the classic renderer?

Edit: The interview has been updated. Basically it now says the list is from november 1995, 3 months before the shareware version of Duke 3D. Some of the list items were completed.

The big things he wishes he had time to implement were:
  • Drop-in networking
  • Fancy lighting system, like Quake (guess that answers my own question)
  • True Room over Room
  • True perspective look up/down

And as it happens all those things are implemented in eduke32 Posted Image
But we're still kinda waiting on the networking and polymer...

This post has been edited by Plain Simple Garek: 12 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

You two guys are joking about Doom mods right? Just look at the Cacowards, which has pretty much the best WADs around to offer (on second thought though, if you're just looking for a reason to diss Doom don't bother)

User is offline   Mark 

I was searching Doom stuff to find the best available these days since I haven't paid real attention for years. I'll check out the site you mentioned.

EDIT: I guess my expectations are different. What I saw looked like software rendering and lo-res graphics. I'm looking for their versions of Polymer and custom HRP textures. Total conversions.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 12 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Doom stuff has definitely slowed down lately, but it seems most of the quality stuff is coming out of the ZDoom community.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options