Duke4.net Forums: Alien: Isolation - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien: Isolation  "New game from The Creative Assembly and Sega"

View Postblitzer, on 20 February 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

I really hope this game will be good. Just about ALL the Aliens/AVP games were always based on Aliens (pulse rifles, smartguns, APCs, powerloaders, LV-426). It's getting kind of old. It's about time we have one based on Ridley's film. Survival horror isn't as prevalent anymore and anything that was survival horror ends up becoming something else (See Resident Evil), probably because survival horror has a smaller audience and the lack of online play.

As fantastic as the visuals and lighting looks, I have to say the alien itself could use a tad more detail. But then again, this isn't final.

You should be happy that all of the Alien games were based on Aliens.
Aliens is an action movie and it's exactly what an action game from the 90's needed to be based on.
It would have been impossible to make memorable Alien games back in the 90's and in the early 2000's if they would have based them on Alien.
If they based the games on the first movie, chances are that games might have been mediocre and until somebody would have decided to make Alien games based on the Aliens movie, the whole list of Aliens games might not have existed by now.
Amazingly, one of the best Alien games that I've played is actually based on Alien3 which as a movie is a lot under Aliens and Alien in terms of greatness.
As you can see they seem to be throwing a lot of money at this project in order to pull off a true horror game that can be based on the first movie.
Also do not forget that Amnesia might have been an eye opener in the realm of horror games of this type.
It's possible that without Amnesia, this game might have not been thought about.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 21 February 2014 - 04:26 AM

User is offline   blitzer 

I understand why Aliens is referenced the most. But what really bugs me is that a lot of times they just stick to the formula and never expand on it much. It's almost like a fanboy making the games. That always irritated me when it's always LV-426 or when the only mode of transportation is the APC from the movie. You would think that universe has many more different military weapons.

User is offline   Kathy 

Besides, the movie is somewhat parodies this whole concept of military bravado.

User is offline   Malgon 

A new video has been released for those interested.

http://www.shacknews...s-unscripted-ai

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Direct link.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 14 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I have a strong feeling that the Alien AI is just another lie, no not because of Gearbox's bullshit, but because of Naughty Dog's bullshit, The Last of Us alpha build showed off incredible enemy AI, then in the released game we had down right moronic and even broken AI that was nothing like we saw in the alpha builds.
I have a feeling that SEGA is just gonna make CA dumb down the AI just before the release.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It'll probably be amazing groundbreaking AI in comparisson to Colonial Marines, though, which I'm starting to believe they're actually capitalizing on.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

View PostxMobilemux, on 14 March 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

I have a strong feeling that the Alien AI is just another lie, no not because of Gearbox's bullshit, but because of Naughty Dog's bullshit, The Last of Us alpha build showed off incredible enemy AI, then in the released game we had down right moronic and even broken AI that was nothing like we saw in the alpha builds.
I have a feeling that SEGA is just gonna make CA dumb down the AI just before the release.

Was I the only one not impressed by the AI in those previews? They were talking them up but watching the footage it only looked like a bunch of scripted AI sequences made specifically for a demonstration

View PostBloodshot, on 14 March 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

Was I the only one not impressed by the AI in those previews? They were talking them up but watching the footage it only looked like a bunch of scripted AI sequences made specifically for a demonstration

I liked it when I heard things like the enemies react to what gun you're holding, how many of their buddies you killed, how they hide and wait for you, come out and attack you when you're out of bullets etc, but in the final game they're just idiots who run up to you and attack, also they're FOV is terrible, you can walk right in front of them and they won't even notice.

I think the same thing is gonna happen with Alien Isolation, they say the Alien AI is gonna be so scary and smart, but I think in the final game it'll just be some clone AI from Outlast, Amnesia or something. I hope I'm wrong.

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostThe Commander, on 14 March 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

Direct link.

Thanks Commander, I don't know why I just didn't do a direct link to the video. :blink:

User is offline   Malgon 

There's also a Q&A with Creative Lead Alistair Hope as well.

Really late edit: The game now has a release date of October 7th.

Super late edit: New Dev Diary is up.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 17 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Sega just announced pre-order bonus missions that reunites the cast from the 1979 Alien. Heard some praise/outrage a/b it.

http://www.gamespot....c/1100-6420995/

Posted Image
This obviously looks fantastic to any oldschool Alien movie fan, so cool that it will surely push many to preorder the game just for this promise alone.
However, this is corporatist bullshit that I hate.
This should have been part of the game by default or at most, they should have remade the whole first movie as a pack of sp DLC missions, 1 or 2 years from now, after the game had proven itself to be awesome and memorable.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 10 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

It's nothing new. If a game is being published by a company that's even somewhat large there's a 99% chance they are gonna make them put pre-order bonuses in.

User is offline   MetHy 

This game looks absolutely fantastic as a fan of both Alien and survival horror.

It's like Enemy Zero fullfilled its wish and really became Alien.

I'm a bit scared the survival elements won't be that interesting though.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The "too good to be true" pre-order bonuses are scaring me that we'll get yet another shitty Alien game. I mean, it is Sega.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 10 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

Further, people in North America who preorder Alien Isolation at GameStop and in Europe at "select retailers" will receive an expansion called "Last Survivor."

Adding insult to injury - stay classy, Sega.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It'll all be available afterwards anyway. Something this big, no way they won't want to keep milking that.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

This one is going to be great. CA has been putting their attention where it really belongs, and that is into the gameplay. Making it as dynamic and unpredictable as possible within the framework of the games narrative. Semi random spawns on enemies, and a very dynamic Alien AI will pretty much ensure the experience is consistently tense.

As much as I think the graphics are great, the music and sound fx are off the charts and the assets that I have seen are recreated to an almost autistic level of authenticity, I can't help but notice a crapload of linearity and scripted stuff in every single gameplay video that I have seen until now.
It feels so linear and scripted that I'm actually fearing it's going to end up being a rail shooter.
I hope I'm the only one that thinks this but I somehow doubt it.

On a side note, after seeing the pre-order trailer released yesterday, I was disappointed at how painfully obvious it is that all of this Nostromo stuff was thrown together really fast, based on just how poor the models for the characters look.
Based on how they look I am actually thinking that whoever modeled the Nostromo cast of movie characters, understood that Ash was the only human in that crew of androids instead of vice versa.

If they let you play a bit of the Alien movie in this pre-order Nostromo bonus and I won't see the iconic chest bursting scene remade in it, they are going to miss on a once in a life time opportunity to properly market this game like no tomorrow.
If just one scene is remade from the movie, then that should be it.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 10 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

Didn't SEGA learn anything?
Posted Image

Not likely since that's where a large portion of the money A:CM got came from.

If anything it gives them more reason to do it, since it means $$$ even if the product doesn't turn out good enough until people realize pre-ordering something, good or bad is not a good idea (which they probably never will)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Sega's getting a lot flak, but honestly most of the horse-shit that made A:CM so bad was on Gearbox, not Sega. Sega's done some shit in it's day, but A:CM was almost entirely thanks to Gearbox lying up and down and being so full of shit.

The CA guys have been doing their damndest to fight against that backlash.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 July 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

It'll all be available afterwards anyway. Something this big, no way they won't want to keep milking that.

http://www.eurogamer...-for-pre-orders

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

This looks surprisingly awesome. On the CrateandCrowbar podcast, someone mentioned it's headed up by a brand new team at Creative Assembly and has been in development since 2006. They've been seeing private demonstrations at various trade shows for years.

Judging from the E3 presentation, lots of love went into this. As long as they manage to make good on the premise and keep it fresh without relying on filler content, this could be the biggest surprise of 2014.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That news does relieve my fears somewhat.

So did they actually get the old actors in to record lines or are they just using voice clips from the movie?

View PostThe Angry Kiwi, on 12 July 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

So did they actually get the old actors in to record lines or are they just using voice clips from the movie?

If they recreate some famous scenes from the movie 1:1 then I don't really think using voice clips from the movie is a problem, do you?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 12 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

Recreation sucks, I want to see Lambert and Parkers sex scene.

Hell, maybe we might even get the "Brett - Hunt for Jonesy DLC"

This post has been edited by The Angry Kiwi: 12 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

According to IGN the cast will return except the actor that played Ash, and the missions won't be exactly the same as the movie but more "what if" scenarios, but some of it will be the same. "Hunt for Jonesy" could be amazing if they nail the controls for Jonesy but sadly Jonesy won't be returning to voice himself because he's dead.
http://ie.ign.com/ar...n-isolation-dlc

This post has been edited by Ronan: 12 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options