Duke4.net Forums: Alien: Isolation - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien: Isolation  "New game from The Creative Assembly and Sega"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The whole "Gore is scary." sentiment is how we got that piece of shit Evil Dead remake. Fuck that movie.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Also, Alien VS Predator: Requiem.

User is offline   Kathy 

I never said gore was scary, but its aesthethic is an important aspect for a horror movie. Inventive gore takes talent. Tom Savini wasn't praised for nothing.

User is offline   Sangman 

MusicallyInspired, on 11 January 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Also, Alien VS Predator: Requiem.

You shut your ass, I actually liked that movie :D

• The Sarien Encounter

You have my pity.

Here's the gameplay preview shown at eurogamer but played by somebody else at O X apparently

It's pretty much the same stuff as the eurogamer one but I think it has a few different camera angles and an interview during it.
I am searching without much luck for this piece of gameplay without any fucking commentary.
Does anybody know if there is such a piece made public yet?
It's fucking amazing how every single sound and music from this game is taken straight out of the first movie.
Everything from ambiental music to the alarms are taken from the movie.
They even went to get the actual assets of the first movie to scan them and have them modeled in 3d into the game.
This is truly what appears to be the first serious alien game ever made.
The last time an alien game appealed to me, was the marine campaign of avp 1 and avp 2.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 12 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Kathy, on 12 January 2014 - 01:48 AM, said:

I never said gore was scary, but its aesthethic is an important aspect for a horror movie. Inventive gore takes talent. Tom Savini wasn't praised for nothing.

Tom is praised for his realism though, unlike many splatter flicks even his most extreme scenes like the dismemberment in Day of the Dead or the shotgun murder in Maniac are extremely realistic. His attention to detail is what makes him great. He understands buckets of blood detract.

User is offline   Kathy 

What's you opinion on Braindead(Dead Alive) then?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It's not just the gore aspect, either, it's the prosthetic effects in general on his zombies, and the puppet work he's done.

Also, how much gore is there in the first Alien film really? Two minutes of shots in total at most? And the bulk of that would be in the Kane chest bursting scene? It's really not that much. And how many great and classic horror films have little to no gore in them at all?

Found a no commentary version of it. If anybody knows the original source of this video, post it here.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 13 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I'm confused, isn't that one the same as this one?

Bloodshot, on 09 January 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

No commentary gameplay

Bloodshot, on 13 January 2014 - 12:31 AM, said:

I'm confused, isn't that one the same as this one?

Hmm weird that I didn't see your post wtf...
However the one I posted is 1080p so it's a bit better looking.
Though, there is still not all the gameplay video that I've seen in some other commentary videos.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 13 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Kathy, on 12 January 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

What's you opinion on Braindead(Dead Alive) then?

It's not a horror film. It's a black comedy exploitation film. The gore is over to the top for comedic effect. Nobody thinks that movie is scary.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Commando Nukem, on 12 January 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

And how many great and classic horror films have little to no gore in them at all?

Halloween does and that's one highly suspenseful film.
When I saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the first time a couple of years ago I was very surprised to see there's almost no spilt blood or gore at all and it still managed to be really creepy with a very nice "underground trash" atmosphere.
Gore can be effective when it's used as a shock effect (as in Alien), but to me it isn't mandatory and it certainly doesn't make a game.
The impact of the Dead Space and Silent Hill series, for instance, doesn't lie in the amount of gore, but in the freaky design of those games (e.g. Pyramid Head).
I'd argue the same for Rob Bottin's work in The Thing, that flesh flower/kennel creation for example is amazing stuff.

When it comes to Alien: Isolation, there's bound to be a graphic element when it comes to the xenomorph making victims, but I don't expect bucketloads of it, just as the films didn't revel in splatter content.
In fact, the goriest Alien related movies (Resurrection, AvP and AvP:R) are the weakest, just as the 'cleanest' Halloween film is also clearly superior to the rest (I won't be the only one to think that Rob Zombie didn't "get it").

This post has been edited by X-Vector: 13 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

User is offline   Cage 

Graphically looks amazing if you ask me.

Whether it will be a good game or not, we'll see once it's released. The videos are quite promising though.

One thing I was wondering about: can't you just have the motion tracker out all the time? :D

• The Sarien Encounter

AvP wasnt gory at all. In fact it was a PG-13 action movie little cheap scare moments.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

Cage, on 13 January 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

Graphically looks amazing if you ask me.

Whether it will be a good game or not, we'll see once it's released. The videos are quite promising though.

One thing I was wondering about: can't you just have the motion tracker out all the time? :D

There's a DOF effect that makes it seem like your character is focusing on the tracker, so maybe not since everything else is a blur.

This is some real exotic shit.
I love how they actually went so far as to build in detail a new fucking motion tracker that's more evolved than the one from first movie and less evolved than the one from the second movie.
It's weird that they did this though, because the much more popular M314 Motion Tracker and the Armor Integrated HUD Motion Tracker versions that later appeared in the Aliens movie and were popularized further in the avp games could have given a much better scare factor into this horror oriented game.
The first Alien movie motion tracker was not very spectacular nor did it ever stand out through it's sounds but it's a very nice touch to see them so dedicated to the assets of the movies to the point of not choosing the easy way of making the much better M314 Motion Tracker which is so well known for it's scare inducing beeps and they chose to go the hard way and create this new green one that appears to be released 15 years after the Alien movie model and previous to the Aliens M314 one!

To me and apparently to everybody else I've seen talking about it, the M314 Motion Tracker and it's Armor Integrated HUD version single-handedly managed to scare the shit out of people in both the movie and in the first 1999 avp game.
The way it looks and sounds is so scary and unique that not using it instead in this horror oriented Alien game is a bit of a loss in the scare department.
I understand they wanted to go full Alien and completely ignore everything related to Aliens in this movie but if they should have used one single asset from Aliens into this 100% Alien based game, then that should have been the M314 Motion Tracker.
The M314 Motion Tracker delivers stress by itself while the Alien one doesn't.
I also love how it ticks constantly as it sends the scan waves.
What could have posed a problem in deciding to have the M314 Motion Tracker for Ripley's skinny daughter might have to do with the actual ginormous size of the thing.
To constantly hold the M314 motion tracker in one hand and also run with it, you totally have to be fit a guy and not a skinny girl.
I mean look at the fucking thing, it's huge as shit
Posted Image

Now the there are 3 models in total.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 14 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

http://news.alieniso...me-screenshots/

Look at the size of it

Posted Image

Also dat detail

Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

That bitch has the skull under it's dome too. Excellent.

That's the way it should be. The creature was always supposed to be the high end of seven feet to eight feet.

Yeah, I hate how most of the games even when aliens are standing up they look like the same size as the marine you are playing, or barely taller.

User is offline   Malgon 

Bloodshot, on 20 January 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Look at the size of it

Posted Image

That is one big bitch!

Seriously though, something about the combination of the lighting, the pose, and the size of the Xeno makes it look really creepy. Or maybe it's just creepy because it doesn't know someone is right there, or it does know and is just taunting them!

Great bokeh and dof
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 21 January 2014 - 01:49 AM

Looks great on the whole, but I'm getting a bit worried that the game's visuals may turn out a bit cold and grey; those hallways are too close to unpainted model kits for my liking.
Even though the Nostromo's interior is dominated by white, cream, brown and charcoal, there's still a relative warmth to the look that I feel is missing in the newer footage of Alien: Isolation.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

X-Vector, on 21 January 2014 - 02:30 AM, said:

Looks great on the whole, but I'm getting a bit worried that the game's visuals may turn out a bit cold and grey; those hallways are too close to unpainted model kits for my liking.
Even though the Nostromo's interior is dominated by white, cream, brown and charcoal, there's still a relative warmth to the look that I feel is missing in the newer footage of Alien: Isolation.

That's because you are showing screenshots of parts of the movie when the ambient is supposed to look lively because there is nothing creepy going on.
Notice in your last 2 screenshots of the movie, how the ambient lighting of the movie matches the ambient lighting of the game very much.
When shit goes to hell, the whole Nostromo enters alert mode and lights change colors or shut down entirely in some areas.
I am willing to argue with you that this game almost perfectly resembles the look and feel of the movie in both lighting and color palette.
We haven't seen any screenshots of the game where the alert mode and creepy shit hasn't yet made it's way into the game.
You are also comparing the palette of a movie captured in 1979, with a game render that tries it's best to mimic the lighting conditions of real life and not of a movie set.
The difference between the game and the movie is that in the game things are not fake cardboard walls lit by hidden studio umbrella lights.
The stuff in the game is much more close to what it would be in real life.
In the game all assets are lit by real dynamic lights that actually exist in the scene. The huge hallways actually exist in the game and are not just short hallways that use mirrors to appear longer like in the movie.
Also when you look at a room in the game, it also exists above you and behind you, while in the movie the movie props don't usually exist behind if you turn the camera to 180 degrees.

You also forget that Alien Isolation is not a remake of the first movie and the areas that you will explore are not the same rooms that you see in the movie.
I think you are getting really picky if an alien game that recreates the exact same wall props and shapes seen in the actual movie, doesn't satisfy your desire for authenticity.
I'm not sure if you are aware yet, but this is the first game that uses the actual studio props scanned and turned into 3d models, to create everything you see on screen starting from objects and ending with the actual doors and walls.

It's actually worrying if you will not be able to appreciate this game's visual quality, just because in the movie some of the areas were different nuances of blue and gray than the ones in the game...

Your point is not even researched properly because your movie screenshots don't even have the same color palette when compared amongst themselves.

In fact look at this screenshot of the movie that you posted and compare it with this screenshot of the game.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The lighting looks identical between this movie screenshot and the game screenshot.
If you see warmer colors in the movie one, that's maybe because Ripley is holding a working flamethrower in her hands...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 21 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

User is offline   Cage 

While the set pieces look "very nostromo" in their design, the general lighting and colors make think more of Aliens actually.

User is offline   Kathy 

Besides, Alien was digitally colour 'enhanced' for HD release, from which these screenshots were taken from. Movie looked a bit colder before that.

Cage, on 23 January 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

While the set pieces look "very nostromo" in their design, the general lighting and colors make think more of Aliens actually.

Yeah, that's my impression as well.

Kathy, on 23 January 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

Besides, Alien was digitally colour 'enhanced' for HD release, from which these screenshots were taken from.

Alien was not that extensively tampered with on the bluray release, the alterations to Aliens (in terms of colour scheme) were rather more invasive.

Movie looked a bit colder before that.

If anything, I think the bluray version looks colder; it seems to veer ever so slighty towards a blue/teal cast, rather than the more red/brown hue of the original DVD.
Fortunately, the colour grading has been kept in check and doesn't seem all that harmful in the BD screen grabs.
Aliens is a different matter; the bluray looks vastly superior to the DVDs in most areas and their pinkish look isn't ideal either, but I find the teal infestation very bothersome.

References:

http://www.dvdbeaver...pare2/alien.htm
http://www.avsforum....dtv-comparisons
http://www.zonadvd.c...icle&artid=1143

User is offline   Kathy 

Too bad they didn't include the previous versions without color grading like they did with Blade Runner.

User is offline   blitzer 

I really hope this game will be good. Just about ALL the Aliens/AVP games were always based on Aliens (pulse rifles, smartguns, APCs, powerloaders, LV-426). It's getting kind of old. It's about time we have one based on Ridley's film. Survival horror isn't as prevalent anymore and anything that was survival horror ends up becoming something else (See Resident Evil), probably because survival horror has a smaller audience and the lack of online play.

As fantastic as the visuals and lighting looks, I have to say the alien itself could use a tad more detail. But then again, this isn't final.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options