Duke4.net Forums: AMC TC needs new mappers - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC TC needs new mappers  "Want to help?"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Out of interest what made you decide to make a map for the TC? You're still working on Brute Force aren't you?

User is online   blizzart 

View PostMicky C, on 11 April 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

Out of interest what made you decide to make a map for the TC? You're still working on Brute Force aren't you?

I got a litle bit bored by all that Hires stuff lately so I wanted to do something different. As I mentioned, I don´t know if I will finish a map or not.

But one question, which wasn´t answered, yet:
Am I allowed to use TROR or not?

• Honored Donor

Yeah you can definitely use TROR, we're using it in most of the maps, even if it's just small bits in most of them.

I've just noticed this thread and I wonder if there's a free place for a mapper like me. Can I join? Are there any specific requirements for mapping?

User is offline   Jblade 

Of course - I've played your maps and enjoyed them so I think your mapping quality is good. I'd suggest taking a look at making a map with the existing EP1 release and seeing how you feel about all of the new features/gameplay stuff. If you feel fine with mapping with all of that new content than I can see about getting a mapping package together with some of the new E2 stuff for you as well :)

One of the few requirements is that the TC is designed for 8-bit however, so it'd be best to try and work with that when mapping if possible.

This post has been edited by James: 13 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostJames, on 11 April 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

... (and Helix recently added a new feature to Eduk32 that allows usermaps to have their own art files individually)

Is there any documentation of how to use this?

Anyways, I´ve started something yesterday. Needs shading and more texturing, but the architecture looks good right now. Uses some TROR.
Attached Image: capt0000_1.jpgAttached Image: capt0001_1.jpgAttached Image: capt0002_1.jpgAttached Image: capt0003_1.jpgAttached Image: capt0004_1.jpg

User is offline   Jblade 

Looks cool! As far as I'm aware you use it by creating an art file and naming it *MAPNAME*_000.art (putting your mapname in there instead) but I haven't used it in a long time since it was intended mainly for usermap use.

• Honored Donor

Holy shit that's some sweet architecture!

• Honored Donor

Btw, with the TROR don't forget, it must be glitch free in the classic renderer. I've had to abandon some cases of TROR architecture, even things as simple as an extended square (while for some reason other, vastly more complicated cases are ok) because it causes some kind of glitch in classic, such as sprites not rendering through the layers at some angles.

So the take-home message is, if you're going to be mapping in polymost/polymer, make sure you check the map in classic at various stages and all angles, with sprites in all layers, both inside and outside the TROR sector (if you're going to use sprites in those areas at least).

This post has been edited by Mickey C: 24 April 2014 - 05:01 AM

View PostMickey C, on 24 April 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

Btw, with the TROR don't forget, it must be glitch free in the classic renderer. I've had to abandon some cases of TROR architecture, even things as simple as an extended square (while for some reason other, vastly more complicated cases are ok) because it causes some kind of glitch in classic, such as sprites not rendering through the layers at some angles.

So the take-home message is, if you're going to be mapping in polymost/polymer, make sure you check the map in classic at various stages and all angles, with sprites in all layers, both inside and outside the TROR sector (if you're going to use sprites in those areas at least).

I didn´t even notice that I wasn´t using classic mode,but everything looks fine right now. Although I haven´t worked with 8bit for such a long time, I totally forgot about making all the sprites in my spriteworks one-sided. Damn! B)

• Honored Donor

Perhaps a mapster script can help take some of the time out of it, at least for wall-alligned sprites (assuming they're facing the right way).

Otherwise if it was mostly copy/paste work it's just a matter of changing one instance then pasting all over again which shouldn't take too long depending on what you've done.

View PostMickey C, on 24 April 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

From the angle shown in the screenshots below there are glitches. But only from that angle in the lowest bunch and only for a piece of a second. Should I go with this or do I have to rework everything?

Attached Image: capt0006.jpgAttached Image: capt0005.jpg

• Honored Donor

If it's only from a very restricted angle and only for a split second you can probably let it go. IMO it's better to have super cool level design with the occasional small glitch than glitch-free tame design.

You can always send me the map to check out if you're not sure.

View PostMickey C, on 25 April 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

If it's only from a very restricted angle and only for a split second you can probably let it go. IMO it's better to have super cool level design with the occasional small glitch than glitch-free tame design.

You can always send me the map to check out if you're not sure.

Hey Mickey,
can I pass the map over to you and could you please have a look? I didn´t noticed that rendermode 4 was activated by default in my mapster32.cfg, so everything looks fucked up in truly classic mode. Damn it!

Maybe you can rescue something, but I doubt that it will ever work in classic.

• Honored Donor

Yeah send it my way. Hopefully you've been following the rules for classic renderer TROR set out on the wiki. Either way I'll see what I can do.

View PostMickey C, on 09 May 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

Yeah send it my way. Hopefully you've been following the rules for classic renderer TROR set out on the wiki. Either way I'll see what I can do.

Thank you, Micky.
I´ve just send it to you by email a minute ago.

TBH, I didn´t even know that there are special rules for TROR in classic mode. :)

• Honored Donor

I'll take a look at it when I get some time, hopefully before the end of the weekend. If you didn't follow the "rules" then there's a good chance I might be able to help out a bit, but you really should have looked up the TROR mapping guide on the wiki at the start before making anything too extensive.

Long story short; keep it simple, or if you want something complex, break it up into multiple simple bits. Avoid slopes.

I´ve finally got some time to work on my map again.

It´s going to be some sort of underwater station. I did some TROR stuff so far, next step will be the "above-water" part:

Attached Image: capt0016_1.jpgAttached Image: capt0017_1.jpg

User is offline   Jblade 

Looks pretty cool, I like it :(

• Honored Donor

We've got a comfortable amount of mappers on board for Episode 3, so perhaps the thread is inappropriately titled with the "needs" new mappers.

However if anyone is currently interested or becomes interested in mapping in the future, the door is always open :D

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I'll probably chime in by episode six.

User is offline   Jblade 

I'm just bumping this topic incase anybody else is interested in joining in - I don't mind taking in newer mappers as long as you're happy to collaborate on map design and stuff :whistling:

User is offline   Loke 

View PostJblade, on 30 March 2016 - 01:00 AM, said:

I'm just bumping this topic incase anybody else is interested in joining in - I don't mind taking in newer mappers as long as you're happy to collaborate on map design and stuff :whistling:

Mapping for the AMC TC is also way more fun than vanilla Duke3D. You've got a new gigantic texture set to work with (in fact it's so big that you could almost fit Mikko Sandt's humongous ego inside it. Almost.), tons of new actors as well as cool and intuitive effects such as working ladders and cut scenes.

Here's also a helpful wiki page which describe what each of the effects do: http://amctc.wikia.com/wiki/Sprites

• Honored Donor

It's worth mentioning that all the special effect sprites can be accessed by the tile grouping menu, and that instructions appear on screen wen you point the mouse at them in 3D mode. This means you don't actually have to learn any new effects.

User is offline   Rhaisher 

You know that I'm already willing to lend a hand. Got to read Micky C's speed mapping guide again, as my skills have gotten a little 'rusty' - in speed terms, that is. :woot:

Loke, on 30 Mar 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Mapping for the AMC TC is also way more fun than vanilla Duke3D. You've got a new gigantic texture set to work with (in fact it's so big that you could almost fit Mikko Sandt's humongous ego inside it. Almost.), tons of new actors as well as cool and intuitive effects such as working ladders and cut scenes.

I'm soooo looking forward to check AMC's texture set. :P

Hopefully, as I'm still kind of new to Mapster32, you'll be able to polish my ideas with your experience. :lol:

In any case, the project is really worthwhile. And AMC members (their alter-ego's in real life, that is) are really friendly. :(
So if anyone is hesitating in lending a hand, I advise you to do so! :whistling:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options