Duke4.net Forums: Is It Time To Spank Gearbox? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is It Time To Spank Gearbox?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Where you fuck up, Altered Reality, is by thinking the story is important.

View PostKomenja, on 31 December 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

Sounds like an ego trip just like DNF. Besides, part of the appeal of the Duke character (for me at least) is that Duke is in fact, a common person. In a genre full of space marines, power-armored super-soldiers, ninjas, and elite black ops task forces, here's this motherfucker wearing jeans and a tank top capable of doing everything those guys can do and even more in some cases.

Then you agree with me. Space marines and the likes can only do what they do because they wear power armor. Under the armor, there's a common person. On the other hand, Duke needs only to wear jeans and a tank top because he is not a common person and he doesn't need physical protection.
It's like the difference between Iron Man and Superman. Take off Iron Man's armor and you get... sure, a genius, philanthropist, whatever, but Tony Stark wouldn't fare well if he went into combat wearing only spandex. Superman, on the other hand, can afford to do just that.

View PostKomenja, on 31 December 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

Hell, the Duke Nukem wiki even has a lengthy biography section on him.

Most of what's written there is utter bullshit because there's nothing in the games to support it (e.g. his birth date, the part about him joining the army, taking part in the Lebanese Civil War serving under General Graves and meeting Dylan there is pure fanwankery).

View PostJimmy, on 31 December 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Where you fuck up, Altered Reality, is by thinking the story is important.

Where you fuck up, Jimmy, is being convinced that I want to downplay everything else.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 01 January 2014 - 04:01 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Duke Nukem: Hollywood Holocaust

"Those movie executive bastards are gonna pay!"

The game opens at the ending of Duke Nukem Forever. Duke is surrounded by women on the moon. "It's a good day to bet on Duke."

You hear the sound of a Zippo open up. A cigar lights.

"What a crock of shit."

The camera zooms out and you see Duke Nukem in a theater. Duke Nukem Forever was the proposed big Summer blockbuster of 2011. As the credits roll and his idiotic "buddy" in the film gets his jollies off, Duke Nukem stands up in disgust and walks out the theater, cigar in mouth and babes on each arm. As he makes his way out of the theater and onto the red carpet, he ignores and pushes aside film crews eager to hear his reaction to the film. Out of the corner of his eye, Duke sees a pudgy, unkempt man sneaking through the star struck audience, inching towards him with some sort of alien weapon. Duke thinks to himself "THEY SET ME UP! It’s all bullshit, all of it! The big film, the whole business. They cooked up a story and dropped me into a meat grinder!"

"Everyone get down!" Duke yells as he reaches for his trusty pistol. Before the odd looking man has time to react, he's dead on the ground. But he wasn't human. He only appeared that way.

Duke Nukem must fight his way into the upper echelons of the Hollywood/Illuminati conspiracy where he finds not everything is as it seems.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 31 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Truly an epic of our times.

View PostJimmy, on 31 December 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Duke Nukem: Hollywood Holocaust

"Those movie executive bastards are gonna pay!"

The game opens at the ending of Duke Nukem Forever. Duke is surrounded by women on the moon. "It's a good day to bet on Duke."

You hear the sound of a Zippo open up. A cigar lights.

"What a crock of shit."

The camera zooms out and you see Duke Nukem in a theater. Duke Nukem Forever was the proposed big Summer blockbuster of 2011. As the credits roll and his idiotic "buddy" in the film gets his jollies off, Duke Nukem stands up in disgust and walks out the theater, cigar in mouth and babes on each arm. As he makes his way out of the theater and onto the red carpet, he ignores and pushes aside film crews eager to hear his reaction to the film. Out of the corner of his eye, Duke sees a pudgy, unkempt man sneaking through the star struck audience, inching towards him with some sort of alien weapon. Duke thinks to himself "THEY SET ME UP! It’s all bullshit, all of it! The big film, the whole business. They cooked up a story and dropped me into a meat grinder!"

"Everyone get down!" Duke yells as he reaches for his trusty pistol. Before the odd looking man has time to react, he's dead on the ground. But he wasn't human. He only appeared that way.

Duke Nukem must fight his way into the upper echelons of the Hollywood/Illuminati conspiracy where he finds not everything is as it seems.

Duke Nukem: Hollywood Holocaust. The gut-busting comedy event of the Summer! Starring Danny DeVito as Duke Nukem, directed by Uwe Boll.

• Glory To Motherland!

Shut your bagelhole. This is a very, very serious movie.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Juke Gassem: Reloaded

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

No no no, Danny DeVito plays the villain, top Hollywood exec Randy Shekelford.

DeVito? No way. No Italian plays a Jew better than Paul Giamatti.

I mean, he played Ben Bernanke. That's like, the Jesus of Jews.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

^And he also played Abraham Zapruder...the guy who shot JFK with his home movie camera.

View PostDuke Rocks, on 31 December 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

^And he also played Abraham

All I needed to hear!

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The super soldier idea for Duke comes from Area 51 in Atomic Edition. The poster in one of the rooms that has a picture of Duke with the words "Ultimate Warrior" on it. It's a gag, and I don't think it was ever meant to be taken as a serious "canonical" character concept.

The basic origin of Duke is that at one point he served in the military, and we really don't want any content set during this time, because what would that be but yet another goddamn modern military shooter with one liners. Then he went rogue for some reason(according to Scott Miller and Allen Blum). Then he was later hired by the CIA to take on Proton, and the rest is pretty well known history.

I've honestly always been more interested in making Duke an older character. The attempt by triptych/gearbox to make Duke appear younger had the unfortunate side effect of also making him come off like even more of a stylish prick.

But, Duke has never really been intended to be taken as a character with a long running arc, most of the games, aside of the string holding the original trilogy together, have been one off events where Duke is essentially a fixed element. The same blond, muscle-bound dude with guns and a love of women. It's smart way to play it. However, reintroducing the character to a new audience wouldn't be a bad idea. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 01 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 January 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

The basic origin of Duke is that at one point he served in the military, and we really don't want any content set during this time, because what would that be yet another goddamn modern military shooter with one liners.

What if that part is just one level, where the clichés of modern military shooters are made fun of (e.g. having Duke suggest to follow an alternate route, only for his superior to say that "all war zones are long winding corridors with no alternate routes")?
Then the important part of the action would start, where Duke goes rogue (an intriguing concept which would allow for unusual situations and ways of interaction).

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 01 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostAltered Reality, on 01 January 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

What if that part is just one level, where the clichés of modern military shooters are made fun of (e.g. having Duke suggest to follow an alternate route, only for his superior to say that "all war zones are long winding corridors with no alternate routes")?
Then the important part of the action would start, where Duke goes rogue (an intriguing concept which would allow for unusual situations and ways of interaction).

The problem is that, done incorrectly, it becomes Duke Nukem Forever - A game that makes fun of modern gaming tropes while falling prey to those same tropes itself.

• Judge Mental

The reason a lot of the gags worked in Duke3D is because Duke3D, though influenced by DOOM in many ways, was doing it's own thing. So it could throw out a quip about Quake or Doom, and get away with it, because it was in it's own world.

Making a level that apes the MMS experience and then mocks it... Well, for one, we've already seen that. It was called "Duty Calls." For two, that's not really what I want from a Duke Nukem game. I want the game to give me good action gameplay first, and the humor can be secondary stuff.

User is offline   LkMax 

At some level I agree with Altered Reality here: if done correctly AND giving the same inportance to gameplay, it wouldn't be a bad idea to develop an interesting backstory to duke (it doesn't need to be gritty too nor does it need to be totally over the top, more like a middle ground).

All this discussion is useless anyway... "if done incorrectly" you say... well, it WILL be done incorrectly one way or another. I don't trust Gearbox, Triptyc or wathever outsourced developer they decide to give the IP. If Duke is not dead, he's in coma breathing by respirators and feeding of medicinal cocktails through his vein (community mods and maps) and I can't see he getting out of this state for a long time.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 01 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 January 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

Making a level that apes the MMS experience and then mocks it... Well, for one, we've already seen that. It was called "Duty Calls." For two, that's not really what I want from a Duke Nukem game. I want the game to give me good action gameplay first, and the humor can be secondary stuff.

I've seen that video, and they did it wrong. Merely pointing out that something is boring does not make it any less boring, if what they subsequently do is ape it exactly. They should have instead set up some expectations, then subverted them by showing something funny but spectacular.

• Judge Mental

Let's just skip that nonsense and call it a bridge too far, shall we?

• Judge Mental

View PostAltered Reality, on 31 December 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Most of what's written there is utter bullshit because there's nothing in the games to support it (e.g. his birth date, the part about him joining the army, taking part in the Lebanese Civil War serving under General Graves and meeting Dylan there is pure fanwankery).

Also, I wanted to point out, this is actually official story "canon." Not fan wank. Which i'm not really happy with. It's too specific, and sounds way too serious for the rest of the tone that DNF brings to the table. If DNF took itself serious, with the wit of Nukem in there to counter-balance, than giving him that kind of back story would be fine. However, since the world is mentally challenged, all the men are dumb, all the women are sluts, Duke's a douche, and there's only one person in the whole thing that seems to not make a fool of themselves (Graves) I just... No.

"Is It Time to Spank Gearbox?" Nah. They're doing a good job of shooting themselves in the foot.

I wouldn't say their reputation is in all that good of shape.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Videogame fans will buy anything.

This post has been edited by Fox: 07 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Oh, i would love to make maps for DNF! Wait before you bash me i wan't to explain, the community could make Duke 3D maps on Forever making it much more classic like this would improve the game by far. Wow this would be so amazing to play, instead of Hollywood being only a multiplayer match we could fix it up and make a single player out of that. Yeah I get pissed off when i see there twitters say stuff about Borderlands almost everyday but not a shred of respect or even a reguard is given to us Duke fans anymore :D All you hear about now from the media is how Duke Forever sucked, which imo it surely did not suck it's just a base of a game that could be yet to come :/ Their is no Duke Nukem in the media anymore only when they wan't to talk about lawsuits and how bad DNF was. This will never encourage developers to take a chance on Duke . Gearbox took the chance and got raped dp style by the media and fans. I know alot of you don't like DNF but atleast and i mean at the least support the fact that someone gave it a try . We are all Duke fans and maybe there just isn't enough to make a loud enough noise for them to hear. What i do know is please please i wan't more Duke.

Fans of games such as Max Payne , Hitman , Halo , and even COD have many games that are modern enough to play and enjoy to this day. Such as Halo 1 . What i mean is imo we only have 2 Duke games that are modern enough to play, and play dedicated i mean. DN3D and DNF there is no others. Duke Nukem is sadly turning into a fail. Sure i would love a release from interceptor but will it be grade A stuff . Guess we would have to see. You know its getting quite depressing though, Duke is pretty much getting rejected nowadays and it isn't only DNF.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 07 January 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

Sure i would love a release from interceptor but will it be grade A stuff . Guess we would have to see.

I'm certain that whatever they come up with, it'll play more like a Duke game than DNF did.

Also, interceptor wouldn't take 60£ for a game. If it's good or not 60£ is just overpriced imo.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I would be willing to pay 200$ for a new Duke don't care about price, it is priceless.

cool name ^^ :D

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 08 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Muslims are genetically engineered humans planted on earth by the aliens. Duke must travel around the middle east Indiana Jones style and take out terrorist cells while rescuing camels (that are mutated earth women made so the muslims have something to hump - hump, get it?).

Final boss battle against prophet Muhammad. Duke must shove a pipebomb up his ass, bury his remains face down, then piss on his grave.

This post has been edited by Forge: 09 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 08 January 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

I would be willing to pay 200$ for a new Duke don't care about price, it is priceless.

cool name ^^ :D

Hehe yeah you took my name? ;)
And I would never pay 200$ if it just has the name Duke Nukem, with nothing else.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

OMG. I knew there were two accounts with similar names! You two have been confusing me for weeks.

So who registered the troll account? Show yourself!

User is offline   Revanchist 

Well spank their wallets then. After I read how Gearbox screwed Sega over with Colonial Marines (outsourced the game and used most of the budget for themselves), I boycott them. No Borderlands or other Gearbox games for me, no sir.

View PostRevanchist, on 09 January 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Well spank their wallets then. After I read how Gearbox screwed Sega over with Colonial Marines (outsourced the game and used most of the budget for themselves), I boycott them. No Borderlands or other Gearbox games for me, no sir.

This. I think it was very distasteful to not only steal Sega's money for another game(s), but to release it in the shape that it was in. I forgave them with DNF because of its particular situation, but A:CM was just the tip of the iceberg. Karma is going to do a wonder on them, if it hasn't already. I feel bad for the A:I team for even having to put up with Gearbox's stupid product (I know its going to be compared to A:CM).

I was honestly more impressed with DNF than I was with A:CM. DNF was at least playable, however sad the state of the character/universe itself was in. A:CM felt like they were deliberately throwing another DNF at us and just expected us to be alright with it. People (Gearbox) who blame Timegate are mentally challenged.

Also, hai.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

^
I agree, A:CM felt like they basically took DNF and put some aliens related stuff in there. In fact, i think they actually used several animations from DNF in A:CM.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 09 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options