Duke4.net Forums: Bioshock - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bioshock

User is offline   Hanakabo17 

Anyone else here play Bioshock, and anticipate Bioshock 2? I just want to make a discussion on it, I have been down right obsessed with this game lately...I have only had it 2 weeks and I have beaten it almost 3 times.

User is offline   Kathy 

I played. Not bad, I guess. Don't really anticipating Bioshock 2.

Loved BioShock. Yes, it's got it's problems... but nothing so horrible that it ruins the game. Biggest gripe is the game is to easy, final boss was a complete letdown, lack of true RPG elements (ala System Shock 2).

View PostDamien_Azreal, on Mar 1 2009, 06:49 AM, said:

Loved BioShock. Yes, it's got it's problems... but nothing so horrible that it ruins the game. Biggest gripe is the game is to easy, final boss was a complete letdown, lack of true RPG elements (ala System Shock 2).

I agree that the final boss fight is way too easy, but trash and BD's on Medium/Hard....well. Big Daddies were bitches to me until I discovered the utility of the trap bolt/proximity mine.

It's been months since I played BioShock last.
I just don't remember the gameplay and such. Might have to play it again for the hell of it.

BioShock 2 on the other hand, maybe...

View PostThe Dukenator, on Mar 1 2009, 10:39 PM, said:

It's been months since I played BioShock last.
I just don't remember the gameplay and such. Might have to play it again for the hell of it.

BioShock 2 on the other hand, maybe...

Yeah, from what has been said Bioshock 2 should be coming out sometime around Q3/Q4

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

I just starting playing bioshock on the pc yesterday.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Finished Bioshock.
I've got to say its a pretty interesting game :rolleyes:

View Postzchri9, on Mar 5 2009, 05:52 AM, said:

Finished Bioshock.
I've got to say its a pretty interesting game ;)

Most definitely. One of my favorites... I extremely like the implementation and usage of Objectivism and the Elitest society. Most mind boggling :rolleyes:

By the way, they have a teaser site for Bioshock 2 now.

http://somethinginthesea.com

This post has been edited by Hanakabo17: 06 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Ive been watching that page for the past couple of days.
Seems they've updated it with more clippings.

View Postzchri9, on Mar 6 2009, 04:51 PM, said:

Ive been watching that page for the past couple of days.
Seems they've updated it with more clippings.

Yup yup. Brings mucho speculation to mind....Need moar info, 2K!!

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Well E3 and GDC is coming up so I think we'll see something during those two events.

View Postzchri9, on Mar 6 2009, 07:34 PM, said:

Well E3 and GDC is coming up so I think we'll see something during those two events.

Probably. Plus, 2K will probably update their site pretty regularly.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

I posted this on another forum im a member of :

This thread is to discuss Bioshock 2 : Sea of dreams.
Posted Image
Viral site - http://www.somethinginthesea.com/
Teaser - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nj2hewPBQh0

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by zchri9: 06 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

Wait, Z. Are you a member of the 2K forums?

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

No, Im not :rolleyes:

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Everything Bioshock 2 is being posted by me here http://tristarforums.net/forums/index.php?...view=getnewpost

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

I played the demo a while ago. The graphics looked good, even on my dated computer. That's because of the artistic direction. The concept and all also looked good to me as far as I can remember, but it was ridiculously easy, which ruins any game for me.

User is offline   Kathy 

Don't use Vita-Chambers and the game won't be that easy.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 14 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

I don't like setting up challenges for myself. If a game doesn't force it's difficulty upon me then it feels much less satisfying.

This post has been edited by Cerberus_e: 14 April 2009 - 07:58 AM

View PostCerberus_e, on Apr 14 2009, 07:58 AM, said:

I don't like setting up challenges for myself. If a game doesn't force it's difficulty upon me then it feels much less satisfying.

Did you set it on the hardest difficulty?

I don't remember. It was just the demo anyway.

Just came across this thread just now: http://forums.2kgame...ead.php?t=32943

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I hope you don't mind the 7 year bump, because for previous owners of 1&2 have received the remaster upgrades for free on Steam. Pretty cool gesture on 2K's part.
Posted Image

While there's a few additions including some audio commentary and a 60FPS physics fix, some issues remain:
- Water effects are degraded
- Forcing SGSSAA with Nvidia Inspector breaks dynamic shadows
- Most shiny specular surfaces are toned way down
- Need to edit the .ini to max some settings ("DynamicShadowDetail=High" for example is default at Medium)
- Way less bubbles and no distortion effect on edges of windows
- There's mouse acceleration and smoothing that you can't disable
- Stereo-only sound.
But you can't beat that price! The originals remain as separate entries on Steam.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's a real shame they didn't put in a bit of extra effort and fix some of the issues. I really needed a good excuse to give bioshock a proper go.

User is offline   MetHy 

I replayed the entire trilogy a couple of months ago so I'm not going to play those yet... However this definitely is interesting. I remember in both games I had to edit ini files to configure stuff properly (144hz, widescreen, FOV, mouse etc) so and if the game crashed it had to be done again because the default would be used for a relaunch. Hopefully now this can be done through menu, however...

- There's mouse acceleration and smoothing that you can't disable

Well I hope they fixed the mouse then, because Bioshock 1's default mouse is some of the worst I've seen if you don't turn off this stuff in the ini files.

In Bioshock 2 I had all achievements except the multiplayer ones, and since multiplayer is absent from the remaster I guess that means I can get 100% now... At the cost of redoing it all.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 September 2016 - 01:27 AM

Bioshock Infinite is my fav of the three by far for the record, and I actually have a full size Bioshock Infinite poster on my wall! (Also an Army of Darkness poster, etc)

To Micky, if you haven't tried it, I'd recommend just playing Infinite, if you weren't going to try the series, or had only tried the first one. You can disable mouse acceleration for that one, and I didn't have any complaints with it on PC.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 16 September 2016 - 01:30 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

Texturing, detail and contrast seem to be improved, but it isn't a slam dunk and it's annoying to see that it's still necessary to dive into the ini files to sort out a number of basic issues.

Also:

Bioshock:

Posted Image

Bioshock Remastered:

Posted Image

Bioshock 2:

Posted Image

Bioshock 2 Remastered:

Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I played infinite a long time ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. Having tried Bioshock 1 shortly after it didn't hold my attention for long. Now I know why everyone kept calling it claustrophobic.

View PostMetHy, on 16 September 2016 - 01:25 AM, said:

I replayed the entire trilogy a couple of months ago so I'm not going to play those yet... However this definitely is interesting. I remember in both games I had to edit ini files to configure stuff properly (144hz, widescreen, FOV, mouse etc) so and if the game crashed it had to be done again because the default would be used for a relaunch. Hopefully now this can be done through menu, however...

If you read the reviews on steam, none of those issues are fixed. In fact, they actually removed several graphics options apparently.

Like I said, it would have gone a long way if they'd just put in a bit of extra effort to fix the core issues.

And lol I just saw the trailer. I love how there's an asterisk when they say "all DLC".

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I think the best playing Bioshock is by far 2. There was a little fatigue returning to Rapture in 2010, but now it really stands up hands-down as the best in series. Great level design, combat encounters, player choice, excellent world-building and a narrative pay-off that sticks the landing. The Minerva's Den DLC is excellent, too. It deserves way more love than the other two.

That said, Bioshock 1 has the best opening of the series, but unfortunately peters out after the incredible Fort Frolic level, roughly half way through. The move away from environmental systems, like hacking security, preparation before combat, rewarding non-linear exploration, and the non-hostile Big Daddy encounters, definitely highlights how much was lacking in Infinite's shift towards pure combat, shedding any and all 'immersive-sim' heritage in the process. The Unreal engine undermined what Infinite wanted to do: it's great at depicting cramped, damp close quarters where the intricate detail is an ideal trade-off for the lack of long vistas, but it's not up to the task of creating a city in the clouds, which in its realized form is reduced to a set boxes connected by bridges. One environment feels lived in, the other not so much.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 16 September 2016 - 02:25 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options