Duke4.net Forums: SC-55 Soundfont HUGE UPDATE - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SC-55 Soundfont HUGE UPDATE

Includes the real Distortion, Overdrive Guitars and the Real Square Wave and Saw Wave.

Download: http://www.mediafire...55+Soundfont.7z

Nice, I have the previous version of this, and it's very good. One of the, if not the, best SC-55 soundfonts. ;)

Guest_maithly_*

I LIKE DUKE

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice. This is actually quite good. I still spot some variations compared to the real thing, but it's probably the closest you can get with a soundfont.

Hey MusicallyInspired could you send me the Halo Pad, Synth Brass 1, and Polysynth Samples from your SC-55

• The Sarien Encounter

Dry or with reverb? If the latter, how much? And do you need long notes or short? Which note specifically? Middle C?

dry and i need long C notes I want C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 C7 from those instruments

This post has been edited by StrikingUAC: 29 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I'll see what I can do.

ok.

Do you think it will be finished today?

• The Sarien Encounter

No.

Ok. how many samples did you finish?

• The Sarien Encounter

I haven't done any yet. Busy busy. Patience.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Played around with this sound font in FL Studio. It sounds very good. Well done! Posted Image

User is offline   Visor 

Is this soundfont still a work in progress or do you consider yourself done with this? Very nice piece of work! Apart from Duke, I play Daggerfall and X-COM: Terror from the Deep with this soundfont.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It's actually pretty much the best soundfont you can use for games which had their soundtrack composed on a Roland SC back in the days. Games like Doom or Duke3D are pretty much made for this. And since I had an SC-55 for a while, I can say this soundfont already comes quite close to its sound in most situations.

If you plan on further improving it, go ahead - I am always keeping an eye on this thread. :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

User is offline   Evilman 

Is it just me, or the drums (and others instruments too) are WAY too loud on this one ? I tried the soundfont with my regular player and other converters, it's the same, drums sound is incredibly loud, it's just extremely annoying, final result is just over-compressed. I don't think i'im doing it wrong, anyone having similar issue ? :lol:

I'll try to post a midi converted to ogg, maybe the problem is coming from me but i never experienced something similar with other soundfonts.

Evilman, on 13 January 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

Is it just me, or the drums (and others instruments too) are WAY too loud on this one ? I tried the soundfont with my regular player and other converters, it's the same, drums sound is incredibly loud, it's just extremely annoying, final result is just over-compressed. I don't think i'im doing it wrong, anyone having similar issue ? :lol:

I'll try to post a midi converted to ogg, maybe the problem is coming from me but i never experienced something similar with other soundfonts.

I have a video comparing this soundfont to MusicallyInspired's real SC-55 recordings, using some ROTT music:

Rise: 0:00 - real, 0:25 - soundfont; MMMenu: 0:50 - real, 1:06 - soundfont; Chant: 1:23 - real, 2:07 - soundfont; Suck This: 2:52 - real, 3:22 - soundfont.

The soundfont parts I recorded were played with CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth. The drums--and some other instruments--in that soundfont are indeed louder than they probably should be.

This post has been edited by The Ultimate Doomer: 17 January 2015 - 07:14 AM

User is offline   Visor 

The Ultimate Doomer, on 17 January 2015 - 07:08 AM, said:

I have a video comparing this soundfont to MusicallyInspired's real SC-55 recordings, using some ROTT music:

Rise: 0:00 - real, 0:25 - soundfont; MMMenu: 0:50 - real, 1:06 - soundfont; Chant: 1:23 - real, 2:07 - soundfont; Suck This: 2:52 - real, 3:22 - soundfont.

The soundfont parts I recorded were played with CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth. The drums--and some other instruments--in that soundfont are indeed louder than they probably should be.

How does this compare to, say, Patch93's soundfont in this regard?

Btw, does anyone know if that fellow (Patch93) still works on that sc-55 soundfont?

Visor, on 08 February 2015 - 04:24 AM, said:

How does this compare to, say, Patch93's soundfont in this regard?

Btw, does anyone know if that fellow (Patch93) still works on that sc-55 soundfont?

Trevor James' SC-55 soundfont is newer than and seems to be better than Patch93's soundfont. Patch93 said that he abandoned working on his SC-55 soundfont (the latest version was v1.9).

• The Truth is in here

This thread deserves an update. In September 2015, Patch93 released v2.0 of his SC-55 soundfont. If you decompress it with SFPack, it's over 125 MB in size now (for comparison: Trevor James' release is about 54 MB).

Dunno exactly what Patch93 has changed, but it sounds a lot better than v1.9 (instruments are crystal-clear and drumsets have gained some bass IMHO) and may be the most recent SC-55 soundfont that is available.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 January 2016 - 06:03 AM

User is offline   supergoofy 

also check this topic here: http://www.vogons.or...php?f=9&t=45600

• The Truth is in here

Interesting, especially the SC-55 soundfont with just 3.1 MB. However, comparing it to Patch93's release in Doom, I have to say the big font beats the small one considerably, especially regarding drums, choir or eguitar. The Yamaha or AWE64 soundfonts may be worth checking out for nostalgia fans, though.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

User is offline   Visor 

@NightFright
Thanks for the link to Patch93's most recent update. Glad to see new developments in this thread.

• The Truth is in here

Looks like there is yet another update for Patch93's soundfont since early March, v2.2.

Get it here:
Patch93's SC-55 soundfont v2.2 (SFPack file, 22 MB)

If you don't want to mess around with SFPack, I have repacked the release to provide the decompressed soundfont directly:
Decompressed version (sf2, 37 MB)

Compared to v2.0, the most significant difference seems to be filesize - now the decompressed soundfont is just 45 MB instead of 125 MB. Latest update also features some remade samples to improve Fluidsynth compatibility.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 April 2016 - 01:53 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Nobody bit your April first prank bait eh :D

User is offline   Lunick 

...there was a prank? :D

• The Sarien Encounter

Soundfonts are the longest running April fool's jokes ever. :D

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 April 2016 - 06:42 AM

• The Truth is in here

The joke was that it wasn't one. xD The soundfont is actually real. Don't forget it was released in March already, not April. It's definitely usable. :D

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 April 2016 - 07:19 AM

User is offline   Visor 

Once again, thanks for the link.

Hmm, whilst playing Daggerfall I got the impression that v2.2 features new cymbal samples and that certain other instruments have been subjected to a volume increase.

Off-topic:
Does anybody know if there's a comprehensive list somewhere of old games which features midi-soundtracks and what sound card they were intended for by their respective composers? I realize that this might be a nigh impossible topic to survey at this stage, but any partial/incomplete list will suffice.

This post has been edited by Visor: 28 August 2016 - 01:02 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options