• You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior X3 Hi Res Sprites WIP

User is offline   xBRYAN2000x 

• I need to grow up.

Before
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

It maybe simular to the sprites that was made from the Marathon Durandal for the XBLA
and im making X3 Sprites for the game ;)

There could be a little bit of diffrences tho so idk

This post has been edited by xBRYAN2000x: 05 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

User is offline   leilei 

babby's first "i found this cool hq3x exe program" pngs presented in a new project as if hq2x+ in a source port hasn't ever been thought of *cough*italwayslookslikeshitandonlywilleverseenoveltyusage*cough*

This post has been edited by leilei: 05 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

You just ran the sprites through a filter? That kind of filter isn't very well suited for this sort of pixel art (if anything) - many others have tried it and it never looks good. It doesn't even really look any more hi-res, just messier.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Bahaha, this is rich. In 5 years, Bryan will look back on these posts and laugh with us as well.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I don't even see the difference.

I... I'm getting old.

User is offline   brownfarted 

• The Original Shitposter

X13 Dookie

Posted Image

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Here we go again... ;)

View PostCommando Nukem, on 05 November 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

I don't even see the difference.

I... I'm getting old.

I am in the same boat it seems.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 05 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

User is offline   Hank 

The second image is a bit sharper ... the opposite necroslut claims.

And yes, you need to look close Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 05 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostHank, on 05 November 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

The second image is a bit sharper ... the opposite necroslut claims.

And yes, you need to look close Posted Image

Sharper, yes - but not having any filters at all would also look sharper.

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

I agree with Necroslut. When we worked on SW for iOS we added this filter to the game and it was a mess. Maybe couple of sprites was better, but others very ugly.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I think a general rule is: If you cannot see the difference at first glance, it's not an improvement. ;)

It was recently tried again with a new filter (3xBR) applied to Doom sprites, but even then, the pixellated look of the originals is to be preferred for nostalgia purposes IMHO. I found high-quality filters to work well with fonts, but sprites usually get messed up one way or the other, not speaking of textures. There is no way around remaking textures and sprites from scratch if you want something that looks good - as soon as you start editing or resizing existing stuff, it's really hard to avoid ending up with a blurry mess.

I'd say just turn off bi-/trilinear filtering for these classic games and go with linear mipmap "filter" at best, it looks way better if you ask me.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

User is offline   Night Wolf 

View PostNightFright, on 06 November 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

I'd say just turn off bi-/trilinear filtering for these classic games and go with linear mipmap "filter" at best, it looks way better if you ask me.

Yeah I agree, that filtering makes everything look like blurry shit, play these games in their classic pixel glory or GTFO.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostRadar, on 05 November 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Bahaha, this is rich. In 5 years, Bryan will look back on these posts and laugh with us as well.

Hehe, probably.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Shadow Warrior Predator Res Sprites
Spoiler

Kiss me
Posted Image

• I need to grow up.

Hmm since nobody likes the following projects of mine

Shadow Warrior Beta Remake
Ninja of War
X3 Project HD

Perhaps i mean what do you even want me to do to make this all better and crap like that
I was just creating TC and all that stuff

You know one developer cant make a single game
What engine? What Maps? What Fuctctions or all that?
I just wanted help and everything gets worse

Perhaps no shadow warrior mods becuase that game has shitty modding abilities
Duke Nukem 3D has CON Files and all that,

Well what engine is perfered or all that stuff?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

eduke32 is pretty good for modding.

But I suggest that if you do want to get into the modding scene, you learn how to make decent maps first. Code-only mods are ok, but they're 100 times better when you're playing a mod with new maps as well.

If you do decide to make a map, spend a decent amount of time on it. Don't just make it in 3 days and release it. We're talking 2 or 3 months. Also, keep in mind that the vast majority of people's first maps are absolutely awful no matter how much time they spend on it, so don't expect high praise or anything at first. But as you try making a 2nd and 3rd map etc, you'll be increasing your skills and become much better, and the harder you try (i.e the more detailed you try to make a map) each time, the faster you'll learn.

Eventually, i.e maybe 2 or 3 years down the track, you'll reach a point where people would be willing to work with you to create something.

The key lesson here is you need to be willing to invest time and maintain dedication and motivation.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

For starters, you could learn how to make more than just a sector and coolie sprites in build.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostxBRYAN2000x, on 06 November 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

You're not going to attract any help if you have nothing in your repertoire. That's why you need to start small.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Hmm since nobody likes the following projects of mine

Shadow Warrior Beta Remake
Ninja of War
X3 Project HD

Perhaps i mean what do you even want me to do to make this all better and crap like that
I was just creating TC and all that stuff

Perhaps no shadow warrior mods becuase that game has shitty modding abilities
Duke Nukem 3D has CON Files and all that,

Well what engine is perfered or all that stuff?

Your first order of business is fully grasping English. You have to look professional. No one wants to work for someone who communicates like a child.

Secondly, to get someone to work for you, you must show yourself to be a jack of all trades. Take James Stanfield for example, AMC TC was mainly developed by himself, with help from others. He had the skills to do all the work himself, which made the people he worked with feel comfortable with him in a role of leadership, because they can effectively communicate and work together. This is a small community, if you want people to work for you, you have to show a lot of competence, skill, experience, and efficiency.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Bryan,

I have been playing Duke since 1998, and started using the BUILD editor in 2002 or so, and I still have yet to release a single map. Although I've made quite a few maps, I feel it is best to keep them to myself because most of them all of them are total crap. Then I started using EDuke32 and things got easier for me and I've been working on a map set for a few years now. I tried out CON editing many times, and have learned how to do quite a few simple things. I realized CON editing wasn't my bag of worms and so I focused on mapping and sprite making. None of my maps will use ANY of the thousands of sprites I've made because I'm starting off small instead of trying to make a Super Mega Duke 64 3D 26 1/2 32x bit Beta w/Alpha-Omega gore mod TC as my first release. Life is short but it isn't that short, you have time to kill and can take things easy for a long while when it comes to modding games, nobody is going anywhere, trust me.

These alpha/beta mods you've made would be great if you had more knowledge on what you were doing. You have potential but you won't listen to anyone and you think we're all just out to get you. 99.9% of the time a new user comes with things like this, they expect everyone to help them, and some people do, and then the project gets cancelled and all the work people contributed was for nothing (plus these users announce a shitload of projects that usually meet the same fate). If you want people to help you out more you need to be able to do things on your own and prove to them you can release something, and you need to communicate better for them to know what exactly it is you're wanting from them.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 06 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Listen to the posts above Bryan. Seriously. With the exception of maybe one or two guys, nobody here is really out to get you. If you're serious about making a project, then channel that passion into a single map. Work on it for awhile, go post some WIP images over in the "What are you working on" thread, and keep at it. Take the criticism, think about it, keep working. Everybody has to start someplace, and many of us made the same mistake. You want to take on the whole goddamn universe, but you can't. Not yet. You gotta start local, and work your way up. Posted Image

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Well, that is a load of shit.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Bryan, you should really follow the advice others have offered here, and focus on a single project instead of jumping from one idea to another. It is a very obvious thing really that one key step to success is to set realistic goals and systematically work towards them.

Personally, if I may humbly make a suggestion, I liked the part of your "beta remake" project that involved the creation of "old style" maps in the vein of what can be seen on early screenshots from the game. However, instead of recreating the old maps, why don't you create your own ones, inspired by the old screenshots? That would also have the additional merit because there aren't as many Shadow Warrior custom maps as there are for Duke3D. True, Shadow Warrior doesn't klend itself to much modding because of hardcoded limitations, but mapping doesn't have any serious restrictions AFAIK.

I think you could make a Japanese castle-themed map for example. Google and Wikipedia can provide you with information and images of typical exterior and interior design of Japanese castles, which is a good source of inspiration IMO. The design of the original maps in the game is a proof of concept that even with the limitations of the Build engine pretty realistic locations can be created, so you probably won't have a lot of trouble creating a castle map or even a mapset for that matter. In fact, you could build an entire short episode around that theme. Just pose some questions like:
  • What is outside the castle? How did Lo Wang get there?
  • The castle is heavily guarded, does Lo Wang storm into the front gate, guns ablaze, or does he find another passage inside to remain undetected, like a true ninja would?
  • Will you leave the above question for the player to decide, or will you force a choice by the map design?
  • What is inside the castle? Does anyone live there, or has it been abandoned and is now used to store weapons or such?
  • What is underneath the castle? Zombie-infested catacombs? A madman's laboratory? A zombie infested madman's laboratory? etc.

Also note that a typical Japanese castle has multiple tiers, which can provide a good base for the player's upwards progression literally from a level to the next one, which may end with a climatic battle on the top floor or the roof.

Just throwing some ideas around though ;)

I a bit of off-topic:

There are certainly lots of one-man projects out there. I thought I'd mention C-evo as a favourite example of mine.

My tips:

1. Start small. This has been said before, but nobody can make an AAA-quality mod when they're still learning the editor.

2. Don't try and be "smart" with your mods when you're starting out. Just make a map using the stock resources. Don't try and add new enemies, a sprite filter, or whatever. It makes you more creative when you have to work within existing limits. When you've got a few maps under your belt and know how to use the default resources, start working on new resources, like a modified enemy.

3. Modding isn't a popularity contest. Pick whatever game you want to mod for, but be warned there's a higher skill curve the more advanced the engine.

4. Be creative! There's a reason why old beta content was removed from games. Instead of trying to follow in their footsteps, do your own thing. It is a lot more fun and interesting playing your own take on things instead of trying to follow old resources to the letter.

5. Spent some time learning programming in whatever scripting language the games you mod use, such as .CON script, LUA or Unrealscript. It will pay off in dividends if you have the knack for it. If you don't really get it, it's no big deal, but at least you'll understand some things, which is handy if you need to work with a programmer.

6. Don't expect a lot of praise for your first few maps. Post them if you want, but don't expect people to be praising you as the messiah of modding unless they're really, really good. If you're going to post them, say "Hey, this is one of my first maps. What do I need to do to improve?".

7. Failure is fine. If something isn't working, scrap it! Compromising on your original vision is good if it isn't working out. Remember: during the production of your favorite games, someone had to compromise or cut something when it wasn't working. If the developers of DN3D, Doom, Quake, Unreal, and other classic FPS series had to do this, then so can you.

8. Calm your temper. You seem to have a nasty habit of getting snippy if people aren't praising you. It is time to unlearn that, and what better time than when you're still a kid? My tip: surround yourself with failures made by you. That way, you know you can fuck up. That way, when you get negative criticism, you can take it better.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 07 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

• I need to grow up.

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 07 November 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

My tips:

1. Start small. This has been said before, but nobody can make an AAA-quality mod when they're still learning the editor.

2. Don't try and be "smart" with your mods when you're starting out. Just make a map using the stock resources. Don't try and add new enemies, a sprite filter, or whatever. It makes you more creative when you have to work within existing limits. When you've got a few maps under your belt and know how to use the default resources, start working on new resources, like a modified enemy.

3. Modding isn't a popularity contest. Pick whatever game you want to mod for, but be warned there's a higher skill curve the more advanced the engine.

4. Be creative! There's a reason why old beta content was removed from games. Instead of trying to follow in their footsteps, do your own thing. It is a lot more fun and interesting playing your own take on things instead of trying to follow old resources to the letter.

5. Spent some time learning programming in whatever scripting language the games you mod use, such as .CON script, LUA or Unrealscript. It will pay off in dividends if you have the knack for it. If you don't really get it, it's no big deal, but at least you'll understand some things, which is handy if you need to work with a programmer.

6. Don't expect a lot of praise for your first few maps. Post them if you want, but don't expect people to be praising you as the messiah of modding unless they're really, really good. If you're going to post them, say "Hey, this is one of my first maps. What do I need to do to improve?".

7. Failure is fine. If something isn't working, scrap it! Compromising on your original vision is good if it isn't working out. Remember: during the production of your favorite games, someone had to compromise or cut something when it wasn't working. If the developers of DN3D, Doom, Quake, Unreal, and other classic FPS series had to do this, then so can you.

8. Calm your temper. You seem to have a nasty habit of getting snippy if people aren't praising you. It is time to unlearn that, and what better time than when you're still a kid? My tip: surround yourself with failures made by you. That way, you know you can fuck up. That way, when you get negative criticism, you can take it better.

1. Your right i need some practice on the editors and all that i remember John Carmack started something small like this "Shadowforge and Wraith" for the Apple II

2. Yeah i might need to make modified enemys to reduce limited stuff but Yeah

3. Oh, yeah i remembered that some time ago I pick SW tho because the engine was really advanced with the Sector over Sector and the Level Design

4. Been thinking of ideas that could get up to a good mod i was making my "The Main Character of my Future Game BRYREAL" Since i dont have a pencil at my house and all i have is a pen which doesnt have a eraser to fix problems i just used Gimp or Paint.net
I made and edited the appearance than just the wannabe Duke Nukem Clone like in my video LOL

Anyways heres what im doing and heres my progress
Posted Image
It sorta looks like half Quake half Strife and half Duke3D to me
If theres any problems tell me what to improve on this sprites and then i,ll fix that as best as i can.

5. I dont know how to program but i do know how to edit functions on some engines like zDOOM's DECORATE Coding it was easy for StrikingUAC aka Trevor0402 which is my brother which made the Duke3D Total Meltdown TC "idk if thats released" but maybe in the future i might be better at programming to make the functions change for SW i used SwGroup been wondering if there was a SwpGroup or some tool

6. As for level designing i worked for a bit a few levels of mine were scrapped/cut because it wasent fine for me to just make a school level but yeah i might need to practice more for Build Engine

7. Yeah i will scrap whatever is not working for me

8. Ok i,ll try to handle that as best as i can do

But as for the sprite if theres anything wrong with it, let me know ;)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I still think you should focus your efforts on mapping and/or coding first. If all you can do is create a bunch of modified sprites, nobody's going to come out and make good levels for you or write code for new weapons and enemies; you'll have to do it yourself. And some art is nothing without any kind of gameplay to use it in. Besides, out of mapping, coding, and art creation, I'd argue art creation is the least important because modders can just use art that already exists, while you can't really copy and use other people's maps and code.

Also, it looks like you've just pasted Duke's head with red hair on some other sprites. Seems a little cheap IMO even though I'm no expert.

• I need to grow up.

View PostMicky C, on 07 November 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Also, it looks like you've just pasted Duke's head with red hair on some other sprites. Seems a little cheap IMO even though I'm no expert.

Me neither i have been practicing some art stuff but yeah i,ll go start practicing on maps and code

This post has been edited by xBRYAN2000x: 07 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

This is a fucking troll account. I swear to God we are being had right now.

That's MusicallyInspired's SC-55 Descent soundtrack rip isn't it? Level 21.

• I need to grow up.

View PostViper The Rapper, on 07 November 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

This is a fucking troll account. I swear to God we are being had right now.

That's MusicallyInspired's SC-55 Descent soundtrack rip isn't it? Level 21.

That video was too early to be posted while i was not developing and didnt know how to mod games often
Perhaps i might clean up my account and all that soon

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, it is. Not even any credit.

Not that I care about credit really, but it would have been nice if you'd asked. That said, I think most people will know that it wasn't you who made that track, judging from the other content of the video.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options