Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior

In the ports the game is supposed to but it's always been a bit tempermental. In the original MS-DOS version the full version never had MIDI support at all and required the CD, althought I have seen that run into it's own set of problems (looking for stupid tracks that don't exist).

So in short, no, unless you are using a port, in which case you probably need to copy some MIDI files from the CD if I remember correctly.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

In the registered DOS version of SW, there are no MIDIs in the GRP at all.

SWP has the best support for MIDIs of any SW port because I made a lot of requests and suggestions about MIDIs.

(fixed MIDI playback in registered version, allow customization of menu, end of level, boss, endgame themes, allow CD tracks higher than 14 so I could make a virtual CD with the two tracks from the shareware not given CD audio into WAVs and use them, and the same thing with the two beta tracks)

SWP comes with all the MIDIs in the Music folder (even the beta ones).

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Cool. Right now I'm just trying to get the MIDI's working. First episode is perfectly fine, but the second one is completely absent of music.

Btw, is it possible that an update could be made to make the quick save feature save a little quicker in SWP? The "F6" button takes you to the "save game" menu and then you have to manually save the game. I wish it could be like in EDuke32 so that just a click of the F6 button and presto it's saved. I'm the kind of player that presses F6 every two seconds, so it's pretty annoying. Though I'm aware this request most likely won't be granted, as it's not that big of a change that calls for a new version being released, not to mention SWP hasn't been updated in a while.

• Weaponized Autism

Press your luck here.

User is offline   SwissCm 

It would be nice to see a more recent version of Shadow Warrior (that wasn't SWP).

User is offline   Skulldog 

View PostSwissCm, on Jul 28 2010, 12:51 AM, said:

It would be nice to see a more recent version of Shadow Warrior (that wasn't SWP).

Why? what is wrong with SWP?

• Weaponized Autism

SWP uses the latest codebase from JonoF, so it's miles ahead of JFSW. icculus.org is shit old. What else could you want?

What else could we want??? TEH POLYMORZORZZZ!!!!111!!! < Don't know why I typed it like that, translated it reads "Polymer" though in all honesty SWP is fine just the way it is, except that Good Alpha option that I had ProASM put in that ended up causing a load of crashes, yeah, anyone here who visits JonoF's forums, you can blame those many crash reports on me :)

This post has been edited by High Treason: 28 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

• Weaponized Autism

IceColdDuke was going to port Polymer support and OGG in the defs, as well as adding Lua scripting, but he got tripped up at one point.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostTX, on Jul 6 2010, 12:26 PM, said:

By all accounts, Shadow Warrior should have been a better game than Duke 3D... but it wasn't. It has higher res art, it's using arguably much better written code, it was developed for a year after Duke, it had much more advanced effects, et cetera. Maybe it's flaw is just how hard it tried to be Duke 3D, combined with the subject matter not being as interesting or as coherent... who knows.

What I said a couple of weeks ago, Shadow Warrior should be regarded as the "Asia TC" of Duke3D. I think the leveldesign is great, but there are not much potential left in this asian theme.

Also, anyone agree that the second episode should have been split into 2 halves? The second half is more city/hi-tech oriented, and it's much closer to Duke3D than the first half, which has quite repetitive asian stuff.

The best levels are "Water Torture" and "Floating Fortress" IMHO.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostNancsi, on Jul 29 2010, 09:05 AM, said:

Also, anyone agree that the second episode should have been split into 2 halves?

Yes, not only because of varying themes but just because.. the second episode is just too long. It's like the first episode only exists for the purpose of putting it into a demo.

• Weaponized Autism

It would be cool to have the option to play SW completely through, like Doom 2, as well as the option to play it in 3 episodes.

BTW, that is the only reason for the episode division. Note that Doom 2 never had a demo released until the XBLA port.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSangman, on Jul 29 2010, 10:49 PM, said:

Yes, not only because of varying themes but just because.. the second episode is just too long. It's like the first episode only exists for the purpose of putting it into a demo.

Sherlock. That's the point of shareware.

User is offline   NNC 

Anyway, anyone else agree that the second half of "Code of Honor" (after Bath House) is a significant improvement over the first half? I really prefer the varying city/hitech themes over the same style of chinese rural stuff.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I know three main reasons that Shadow Warrior did not fare better than Duke:

1: It is missing a basic pistol weapon. Duke's pistol is a low damage, highly accurate weapon with 12 rounds per clip and moderately fast reload time. All SW has in comparison is the Uzi. The Uzi however only really works in close range, and for long range attacks you can only really use the railgun and the rpg.

2: It is missing a basic cannon fodder enemy such as the Trooper. The Uzi Ninja has much too powerful a weapon for a basic cannon fodder enemy, and more closely resembles the Enforcer in Duke 3D. A group of Troopers isn't really a problem, and can be quickly dispatched. A group of Ninjas is another story. Not to mention the Ninja's Uzi is substantially more accurate than yours, which is quite unfair.

3: It lacks good support for mods. Duke 3D has only lived so long because of the ability to do many things, and it has evolved to this point where what you can do is pretty much only limited by your ability to do it. Most SW maps were made around 97-99, the "Golden Age" of mapping wherein maps weren't that good, so it hasn't much of a legacy for maps and therefor there is practically no community for SW beyond the fringes of Duke and Blood.

Alas, SW has also been very influential, at least among game developers. SW had the first sticky bomb and Eraser style rail gun that I know of in an FPS. It might also have been one of the first FPS games where you could take body parts of an enemy as a weapon, and possibly the first FPS to have given you the ability to summon a bot to help you. It could also be argued to be the first FPS game where you could use gas grenades, smoke bombs, flash grenades, and caltrops. To this day I still think that SW has the best grenade launcher I have ever used in any game.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 02 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

• Weaponized Autism

All three(+) of those things could be fixed if IceColdDuke added Lua to the JFSW codebase and SWP by extension.

That would be a project I would be willing to take on. I would just have to learn Lua.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostHendricks266, on Aug 3 2010, 08:47 PM, said:

All three(+) of those things could be fixed if IceColdDuke added Lua to the JFSW codebase and SWP by extension.

That would be a project I would be willing to take on. I would just have to learn Lua.

I imagine that would take a bit of rewriting or Frankenstein-work, since I think SW was written in C or something. I have no idea, but that would be awesome. You could also port in the WD enemies and such.

• Weaponized Autism

Lua can be used to modify existing code. For example, Lua is used to add functionality to NES and Genesis ROMs.

I'd definitely make it so that the final boss doesn't have to be Zilla.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's pretty cool, then. I'd give my neighbors heart for that.

• Weaponized Autism

I'm here to donate some blood... someone else's.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostHendricks266, on Aug 4 2010, 03:41 PM, said:

I'm here to donate some blood... someone else's.

Wrong game, thats from blood.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 04 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

IceColdDuke, always starts on a project, but I never seen him release anything. I could
be wrong.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostReaperMan, on Aug 5 2010, 01:00 AM, said:

Wrong game, thats from blood.

:)

View PostSkulldog, on Aug 5 2010, 09:17 AM, said:

IceColdDuke, always starts on a project, but I never seen him release anything. I could
be wrong.

He released EDuke 2.1 Iced back in the day.

LOL, I was wrong again :)

User is offline   NNC 

I don't know why people rate Blood over SW? SW is clearly superior in every aspect. In fact, I think Blood is the bottom of the barrel, as Redneck Rampage beats it as well. For me, that game is just a bit darker and reworked version of Powerslave. The levels have no variety, the enemies are not fun, and I hate most of its weapons. Blood is overrated guys, sorry.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 07 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostNancsi, on Aug 7 2010, 03:41 PM, said:

I don't know why people rate Blood over SW? SW is clearly superior in every aspect. In fact, I think Blood is the bottom of the barrel, as Redneck Rampage beats it as well. For me, that game is just a bit darker and reworked version of Powerslave. The levels have no variety, the enemies are not fun, and I hate most of its weapons. Blood is overrated guys, sorry.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNancsi, on Aug 7 2010, 02:41 PM, said:

Posted Image

User is offline   RazorZ 

View PostHendricks266, on Aug 8 2010, 07:45 AM, said:

Posted Image

"Damn, you´re ugly!"
Duke

Well, anyway, in my opinion, Shadow Warrior is nice game, but a bit too much like Duke Nukem 3D. It was even bit outdated on a graphical side, but nice to have a play. No, I haven´t played it much, actually tested at times, but on the first glance and play you pretty much like know what to expect after playing Duke Nukem 3D. But oh yeah, I loved the floor mirroring effect, some guns and nice babes.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostHendricks266, on Aug 8 2010, 06:45 AM, said:

Posted Image

Hey, is this the "Post your pics" thread? :wacko:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I don't think so, otherwise he'd be posing as myself.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options