Duke4.net Forums: Any way to change the mapster32 keys and also export? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any way to change the mapster32 keys and also export?

User is offline   cj31387 

Hi, I want to make some duke maps cause i like the editor. But I want to change all the tool keys to ones i like. For instance make space not draw but make another button like d draw. ect... Is there any way to change the mapster32 keys and remap them? Also I would like to export some duke maps to like blender for the hell of it. Is there any map converter that can export duke maps to some format that can then be exported to blender or like 3ds max or something? I know there is a map2quake3 tool. But can't find a working link for it. I think if i could convert to quake3 then i could convert from quake3 to a format blender or 3ds max can use (or if there is a direct map exporter) let me know please. Thanks.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I know there used to be a old plugin that did something like this, because I remember exporting the mesh of E1L1.
But you are left with one hell of a mess though and it's really not worth it in the end.

But keep looking because it is out there.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Try Ken's map2stl. No guarantee it will work with EDuke32's v8 (extended limits) or v9 (TROR) maps.

View PostHendricks266, on 18 October 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Try Ken's map2stl. No guarantee it will work with EDuke32's v8 (extended limits) or v9 (TROR) maps.

Thanks checking out map2stl now. What about changing the mapster32 keys. Is there a way to change all the mapping keys? I want to put them close to wsad. like hi tag as F or something lowtag as e ect...

User is offline   neoacix 

Actually, your question has been asked here, and Helixhorned replied to that:

http://forums.duke4....post__p__174061

So, no, atm you can't change the keys, because they are hardcoded into mapster.

Edit: Scott_AW reply is correct, didn't know that. :P

This post has been edited by dpax: 18 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

User is offline   Scott_AW 

open up mapster32.cfg in notepad, scroll to the bottom to edit what keys are assigned to what. I had to do this for the 3d mode button which I don't have on my halfsized keyboard.

https://www.virustot...aac4e/analysis/

Kinda weary of using map2stl, I JUST reformatted like a couple weeks ago. Are you guys like 100% sure it would be false triggers?

• Weaponized Autism

There is no reason why Ken Silverman would add malware to a niche tool buried on his website.

Antivirus 	Result 	Update
TheHacker 	Posible_Worm32 	20131018
TrendMicro 	PAK_Generic.001 	20131018
TrendMicro-HouseCall 	PAK_Generic.001 	20131018 

These diagnoses are meaningless.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostHendricks266, on 18 October 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

There is no reason why Ken Silverman would add malware to a niche tool buried on his website.

Clearly Ken is an evil mastermind bent on ruling all computers. How could you not notice this after all these years?

View PostReaperMan, on 18 October 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

Clearly Ken is an evil mastermind bent on ruling all computers. How could you not notice this after all these years?

Not saying he put a worm in there, but its possible old websites get hacked and files re uploaded, with trojans/worms.

• Weaponized Autism

If it makes you feel better, I recompiled the program myself having fixed a compiler warning and prevented the program from outright rejecting v8 maps.

I'm considering adding it to the Build tools. Part of me doesn't want to because it doesn't support TROR and Lunatic will begin to save maps in a new format, but it's not as if there aren't plenty of obsolete Build tools already.

View PostHendricks266, on 18 October 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

If it makes you feel better, I recompiled the program myself having fixed a compiler warning and prevented the program from outright rejecting v8 maps.

I'm considering adding it to the Build tools. Part of me doesn't want to because it doesn't support TROR and Lunatic will begin to save maps in a new format, but it's not as if there aren't plenty of obsolete Build tools already.

Thanks I was trying to recompile it with VS Studio 2012 but couldnt figure it out for C instead of C++ . I don't care about new maps any ways I don't know what Thor is. Just wanna export some old ones.

View Postcj31387, on 18 October 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

Thanks I was trying to recompile it with VS Studio 2012 but couldnt figure it out for C instead of C++ . I don't care about new maps any ways I don't know what Thor is. Just wanna export some old ones.

This is cool but yeah it does leave you with a mess. Also no texture export. How hard would it be for someone to make a map2model with texture support and would be willing to do this? Anyone got some free time? I think a lot of people would like that. It could also be integrated into mapster32. I'd be willing to pay if someone did it right where it was a GUI converter that works with systems up to win7/win8 and if the price was reasonable.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View Postcj31387, on 08 November 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

Also no texture export. How hard would it be for someone to make a map2model with texture support (...)?

Oh well... texuring amounts to writing a good part of a renderer. Much trial/error. Just take a look at Plagman's early Polymer screenshots (can't find the URL right now).

Then again, it may be somewhat easier, as only walls and ceilings/floors are to be handled. But the question remains: why? You realize that there would be no way of importing that model back into something that Build understands, right?

• Weaponized Autism

How hard would it be for someone to make a map2model with texture support [...] ?

Insane. It's one thing to map the geometry into a simple format like STL that only holds shapes. Trying to include texturing adds several levels of complexity, including UV mapping the alignments, setting up all the different surfaces to some fancy format that supports them, and exporting all the art tiles themselves as textures.

The next request would probably be to add in spritebridges...

I think a lot of people would like that.

I don't see how this feature would have any more demand than a niche novelty.

On the other hand, I believe there are programs that can hook into an OpenGL context and export a "3D screenshot" to a textured 3D model. You can try looking into that.

View PostHendricks266, on 08 November 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Insane. It's one thing to map the geometry into a simple format like STL that only holds shapes. Trying to include texturing adds several levels of complexity, including UV mapping the alignments, setting up all the different surfaces to some fancy format that supports them, and exporting all the art tiles themselves as textures.

The next request would probably be to add in spritebridges...

I don't see how this feature would have any more demand than a niche novelty.

On the other hand, I believe there are programs that can hook into an OpenGL context and export a "3D screenshot" to a textured 3D model. You can try looking into that.

Yeah is Eduke OpenGL? The only one I know for openGL is called OGLE the OpenGLExtractor but I cant find a link of it anymore anywhere. The only other one that that i know of is 3d Ripper Dx but it is for directx and it and ogle require you to go directly into the program but eduke has like a popup before it launches so I don't know how ogle if i were to find it would hook into eduke because of the popup?

• Weaponized Autism

Both 32-bit OpenGL renderers are, well, OpenGL. There is an option to skip the startup screen if that would help.

View PostHendricks266, on 08 November 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Both 32-bit OpenGL renderers are, well, OpenGL. There is an option to skip the startup screen if that would help.

Is there a way to launch directly into the game with a custom map? totally bypassing the little log that pops up at the beginning because for OGLE to hook i think it needs that. If so what is the command

This post has been edited by cj31387: 08 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View Postcj31387, on 08 November 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Is there a way to launch directly into the game with a custom map? totally bypassing the little log that pops up at the beginning because for OGLE to hook i think it needs that. If so what is the command

There's no command for that at the moment. Could you test OGLE to see if this is really the case? If it is really impeded by the startup window then I'll add a parameter so that it doesn't show.

View PostHelixhorned, on 08 November 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

Much trial/error.

So effort.
Much trial/error.
Very challenge.
Wow.

View PostHendricks266, on 08 November 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

There's no command for that at the moment. Could you test OGLE to see if this is really the case? If it is really impeded by the startup window then I'll add a parameter so that it doesn't show.

So effort.
Much trial/error.
Very challenge.
Wow.

Well about a month ago yeah I tried OGLE, when like i first posted this OP. It didn't work. I can try again though. I actually tried it with mapster32 when i was in camera mode, and couldnt figure out how to load a user map on eduke32.exe

• Weaponized Autism

eduke32 -map "mapname.map"

I believe the following also works:

eduke32 "mapname.map"

View PostHendricks266, on 08 November 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

eduke32 -map "mapname.map"

I believe the following also works:

eduke32 "mapname.map"

Ok i got OGLE somewhat working. It exports out the image sprites in the game. BUT it doesn't export to OBJ like it should. Are dukes rooms actually polygon meshes? I don't know why its not exporting a obj. What mesh-type exactly do the duke rooms use. Heres a list of settings in ogle i can set.

OGLE = ("OGLE/OGLE.dll") 
    {
	// See Plugins/OGLE/config.ini or OGLE README for description of 
	// OGLE plugin config settings

Scale = 1.0;
	FlipPolygonStrips = True;
	CaptureNormals = False;
        CaptureTextureCoords = False;
	LogFunctions = False;
	ObjFileName = "ogle";
	FilePerFrame = False;
	FileInFrameDir = False;

TRIANGLES = True;
	TRIANGLE_STRIP = True;
	TRIANGLE_FAN = True;
	QUADS = True;
	QUAD_STRIP = True;
	POLYGON = True;
    }

Also maybe its because eduke starts with a popup instead of directly loading the exe. Is there a build of eduke32 that goes straight to the game, no popups? It might not be hooking in correctly because of the popup screen.

• Weaponized Autism

Are you sure you are using Polymost or Polymer when you use OGLE? Have you tried both?

Making a command line option not to show the startup window would not be simple because the window is created before the command line is even parsed.

View PostHendricks266, on 09 November 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

Are you sure you are using Polymost or Polymer when you use OGLE? Have you tried both?

Making a command line option not to show the startup window would not be simple because the window is created before the command line is even parsed.

Ill try both but dont know how to select them since i turned off the popup

View Postcj31387, on 10 November 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

Ill try both but dont know how to select them since i turned off the popup

Actually I just tried a different game that totally should have exported obj and it didnt. So I guess OGLE is set up wrong or It doesnt work on win7 or something

Freaking awesome. Got it to work. VERY Happy. I had to set some settings in ogle manually. They provide you with per-configured settings and they say they work but they don't. You need to make the changes manually. The model wont import into max though. But I think there are some additional settings to use because it says to if it doesn't import. Actually I just got it to import but its only like the direct view of what i was looking at that got exported. Maybe I need to run around the whole map first.

• Weaponized Autism

Try running Polymer and noclipping outside of valid player space. The entire level should be drawn.

View PostHendricks266, on 10 November 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Try running Polymer and noclipping outside of valid player space. The entire level should be drawn.

I must be using a old Eduke . Haven't seen any of the settings you've suggested anywhere. Going to download the latest right now.

View Postcj31387, on 10 November 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

I must be using a old Eduke . Haven't seen any of the settings you've suggested anywhere. Going to download the latest right now.

oh no clipping as in the cheat and then go above the map? ok

I think you mean something else but I don't see it listed as a console command in the eduke wiki. Just the cheat no clip

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options