Duke4.net Forums: Chasm: The Rift - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chasm: The Rift

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostDaedolon, on 31 August 2017 - 01:14 AM, said:

That's the splash screen for one of the installers, the EU/Australia version.

Now that you mentioned it, I remember that the Adrenaline Vault exclusive* three-level demo also had an installer splash screen, but not sure if the same as this.

*As far as I can tell, the only exclusive things are the installer and the mention of The Adrenaline Vault. Otherwise it's the same as the regular three-level demo.

Weren't there two demo versions of Chasm? I remember playing one that was released somewhere in before summer of '97, and there was another released in October or December.

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 02 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

Oh, there were many more than two. Some can be found here* but I can't be sure it's all there was.

*For versions packed in RAR archives, make sure you remove the read only attribute from files, otherwise they may not work in DOSBox.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

There's five in total, though some of them could be considered the betas released over at ChasmAction.

EDIT: I keep forgetting about the 1.05 weirdo.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 03 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

Good stuff. Wish my English was a little better, this could make a neat TCRF article.

Chasm review by Gamesmania:
http://www.gamesmania.com/english/reviews/new/chasm/chasm.htm

User is offline   X-Vector 

However, Chasm's monsters look much better than Duke, some of them even rivalling the looks of the monsters in Quake.

Right.

Apparently, there was also a Russian edition of the game, with VA in appropiate language:

That's the one that I used to have, but I've no idea if this was an official release, even considering that the dev team was from the former Soviet Union.

User is offline   leilei 

Nothing much to say, but I will admit confusing Chasm with Unreal back in the day, because of the minigun resembling the Stinger (although both have very different firing animations, which aren't that apparent when it's both GT-published games showing off screenshots of them, and chasm's minigun came first anyhow)

The engine may be crap (once you realize the mapping limits and flaws) and the gameplay quite simplistic, but i always loved a few of the weapon models (shotgun, launcher and said minigun are the best and *should* be the baseline to what all those new "retro old school!" shitters should strive to be at a minimum especially since this is a tiny ukranian studio doing this in 94-97)

This post has been edited by leilei: 23 October 2017 - 11:19 PM

GamePen preview/interview with devs:
http://www.gamepen.com/pc/chasm/preview.html

Are there any decent source ports of this yet? It doesn't look amazing but I'd give it a shot.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 03 January 2018 - 12:51 AM, said:

Are there any decent source ports of this yet? It doesn't look amazing but I'd give it a shot.

The thread is only 3 pages long, surely you could have checked for PanzerChasm...

• Ancient Blood God

Let's make it 333 pages.

What was that other recreation called?

User is online   Phredreeke 

I played through the game (used a patch that fixes the divide by zero error when using the Dynamic core, as the 640x480 resolution runs way too slow on the normal core) and while it's obviously no Doom or Duke I found it quite enjoyable none the less. The ending was a letdown though, and on at least one occasion I had to reload an older save because a door wouldn't open.

Could you share the link to the patch? Oh, and what version of dosbox you used?

User is online   Phredreeke 

Used the DosBox installed with D-Fend Reloaded.

The hack I used is described here. It involves editing out the offending instruction in a hex editor https://www.vogons.o...t=11172#p437623

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 31 March 2018 - 04:54 AM

View PostPhredreeke, on 28 March 2018 - 10:06 AM, said:

The ending was a letdown though

Have you played the add-on episode?

I've found a very neat pre-configured copy of Chasm, with custom installer, add-on levels, audio CD support and the patch already applied: https://archive.org/...eRift-ZombsLair

• Ancient Blood God

Great, more piracy on Archive.org :/

I fear the day when the whole site will be brought down because of idiots like this, then it's RIP to all the important web archives and other immensely important data they store.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Archive.org has high-caliber legal representation, so I wouldn't worry.

User is offline   Jim 

check this out:

https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=43&t=60811

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJim, on 03 August 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

ZRift is a mod aiming to attempt to at least partially recreate Chasm: The Rift inside GZDoom.

Disclaimer: A lotta stuff is still WIP, still being fleshed out as I learn more about coding.

.................................................................................

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

What a shit idea for a mod. Chasm plays just fine. And in typical Doom-tard fashion, he has to add a bunch of random shit to it before he can even finish getting it remotely like Chasm, therefore making it nothing like Chasm. I hope this fucking loser gets cancer.

User is offline   Jim 

On the other hand, the chasm models are finally converted from the 3o format

View PostJimmy 4k, on 03 August 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

What a shit idea for a mod. Chasm plays just fine. And in typical Doom-tard fashion, he has to add a bunch of random shit to it before he can even finish getting it remotely like Chasm, therefore making it nothing like Chasm. I hope this fucking loser gets cancer.

Jesus dude, it's just a gameplay mod. You've got some issues.

User is offline   fgsfds 

The game is not complete unless there is at least one shitty "recreation" of this game on Doom engine.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDoom64hunter, on 03 August 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

Jesus dude, it's just a gameplay mod. You've got some issues.

Grow a spine, you big pussy.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJimmy 4k, on 03 August 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

Posted Image

User is offline   ---- 

View PostJimmy 4k, on 03 August 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

It's funny how the most mentally challenged person on this forum says something like this.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options