Duke4.net Forums: "This game is what DNF should have been..." - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"This game is what DNF should have been..."  "List yours!"

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostBloodshot, on 17 November 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

the specific person on the DNF development team who even suggested that they replace the motorcycle with a monster truck

Posted Image

View PostFox, on 17 November 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

Duke 3D levels stand apart of its contemporaries, with open areas and themed locations, unlike Doom or Quake claustrophobic corridors.

There's Dark Forces, which has at least as large a dynamic in terms of scale as Duke 3D and contains more vertical level design than perhaps any other game of its era.
I also consider it even more varied than Duke, since every level takes place in a different environment with a different colour scheme (while still preserving thematic consistency).

Doom does have its fair share of open areas and themed locations, though they're not as realistically portrayed as in D3D or DF.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, wide ooen areas wouldn't hurt Duke, but Serious Sam gameplay is not Duke's style. I love that there's no cover and no regenerating health, though.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I am still waiting for someone to try beat my score in SS3.

Posted Image
Lunick is a pussy playing it on easy.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 18 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

View PostX-Vector, on 18 November 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

There's Dark Forces, which has at least as large a dynamic in terms of scale as Duke 3D and contains more vertical level design than perhaps any other game of its era.
I also consider it even more varied than Duke, since every level takes place in a different environment with a different colour scheme (while still preserving thematic consistency).

I second this. I'm playing it now and it has a ton of variety, and the levels are quite large and have a lot of alternate paths as well.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostThe Commander, on 17 November 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

Doesn't the HEV Suit heal you back to 15-25 if you are playing on easy? Or am I thinking of something else.

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't. Your health only regenerates (to your previous HP) if your health has either gone down from neurotoxin poisoning, or drowning. Everything else will leave your HP critical and medical kits are your only salvation.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 19 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

I could swear I've talking fall damage to a critical level and the HEV Suit said something about giving emergency aid. I herd a faint psst sound and saw my health rise a slight bit.

I will have to test this.

• The Sarien Encounter

When your health gets dangerously low your suit does respond with saying it's injecting stuff into you, but that's moreso just aesthetic to explain why you're still running around on broken legs. It doesn't actually give you health.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostThe Commander, on 19 November 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

I could swear I've talking fall damage to a critical level and the HEV Suit said something about giving emergency aid. I herd a faint psst sound and saw my health rise a slight bit.

I will have to test this.

Yeah, after falling from a height great enough to inflict massive damage it basically gives you morphine but it doesn't actually boost your health.

"Major fracture detected - Automatic medical system engaged - Morphine administered"

Yes this makes sense now.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I guess you should play HL/HL2 more, HEV suits (Mark IV and V) never give you health by itself when you're get hurt. :D

View PostThe Commander, on 18 November 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

I am still waiting for someone to try beat my score in SS3.

Wow...

I beaten the game on Hard, completed half of levels on Serious, still missed some enemies and over-timed in every levels(stupid par time and save time limit.) , now my total score is 309xxxxxx at rank 2607 but I guess I could never beat your score for the reasons I said above...since I just care my score but not the whole leaderboard... ;)

View PostThe Commander, on 18 November 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

Lunick is a pussy playing it on easy.

My friends never completed the game or cheated at all(their total score just so low as hell)...the best one just completed Normal...badly.
So pussy or not, at least he completed the game without cheats. :D

User is offline   leilei 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 November 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

As SS3 is in the style of game it is, no it's not what DNF should have been. Duke Nukem is not a hoarde shooter with such wide open levels.

I have a problem with people calling SS3 a true Doom sequel. SS3 as a spiritual Duke successor is even further farfetched - even Jedi Outcast has more elements closer to Duke3D than that.

"but kyle katarn doesnt say fuck u and see's babe's boobie's", that's okay, try analyzing gameplay first with adult mode and duke talk off to boil down to the essentials and then compare sans hyperbole.... Not everyone sees Duke3d as "THAT GAME WITH THE SHIT WORD AND THE BOOBS WHILE SHOOT MONSTERS" and make the connection to SS3 by that alone.

Jedi Outcast definitely isn't interactive in its huge linear blockworld mapping, but it's one of the last games I know that had tripmines and an brackety inventory system. There's even a kick move if you're good with the jump and crouch keys...

This post has been edited by leilei: 19 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postleilei, on 19 November 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

Not everyone sees Duke3d as "THAT GAME WITH THE SHIT WORD AND THE BOOBS WHILE SHOOT MONSTERS" and make the connection to SS3 by that alone.

Unfortunately, that's what generally enough to make the connection. Bulletstorm, Serious Sam...

• The Sarien Encounter

I never said anything about SS being a Doom sequel. I think all three titles are their own animals.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 19 November 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

I guess you should play HL/HL2 more, HEV suits (Mark IV and V) never give you health by itself when you're get hurt. ;)

I have played and finished all the HL games, it's just been a long time since I last played them.
Only source game I play now is Gmod.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostThe Commander, on 19 November 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

I have played and finished all the HL games, it's just been a long time since I last played them.
Only source game I play now is Gmod.

OK, I feel silly, I guess I should say "You should just play HL/HL2 again." ;)

--

I feel Serious Sam series has problems made me feel getting bored...I were expected SS3 should be had more story/plot-like or something different of things but less things like deal with shitload of monsters(the ship BOSS and final BOSS just pissed me off because I had to deal with other annoying monsters when try to fight the BOSS, limit saving for bonus made this got worse, damn.), but after I played it, it still just a tradition-oldschool-style Serious Sam game, fine with it but feel getting boring after completed whole game first time, even the DLC campaign levels didn't help too much.(But since its plot set on the middle of SS3 campaign, so I don't need to worry about monster counts. :D)

But... I don't want to do a lot of "deal with shitload of monsters in wide area w/ or w/o BOSS" in the next DooM or Duke Nukem or other classic FPS IPs of game, no thanks. B)

Even it's Serious Sam 4! j/k :D :D :P

View PostBloodshot, on 17 November 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

I want to track down the specific person on the DNF development team who even suggested that they replace the motorcycle with a monster truck, and then ram their face into a pile of shit.

I bet I can make an educated guess about who, when and why.

Who: George.
When: mid-1998.
Why: he played Monster Truck Madness 2.

I can imagine George looking at other games for ideas to rip off for the recently restarted DNF, and this monster truck racing game comes out. It has awesome graphics (for the time) and some levels are set in the Arizona desert. George tries it and says: "OMG! It shares a location with DNF! And there's manly vehicles with this manly speaker commenting the action! We gotta have a monster truck in DNF! It'll be a mangasm! That's like a manly orgasm. By a man."

I can furtherly guess that one of the previous iterations of DNF had a section where you could actually use the Duke Dome (which is stated to be a monster truck arena) and do stuff like crush cars or do jumps/tricks with the monster truck for ego.
Then George went: "Eh, scrap that. Cutting is shipping! So what if we never actually get to use a location and we only get a glimpse of it? The other day I was playing Duke3D and got lost, so we gotta make the game more linear. I've got the vengeance, give me a chainsaw!"

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 30 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I think it was Allen Blum's idea if I remember my interviews correctly. I'm pretty sure he worked on it.

User is offline   Revanchist 

Well, I won't say anything new: they should have done what Serious Sam 3 did (modernize the setting, aesthetics and the main character while keeping the gameplay intact) and they in fact did the complete effing opposite of that. I'm not saying that DNF should've had SS3's gameplay, Duke and Sam's gameplay are nothing like each other.

This post has been edited by Revanchist: 09 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options