Duke4.net Forums: "This game is what DNF should have been..." - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"This game is what DNF should have been..."  "List yours!"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I wouldn't say that's true. I find many of the locations in the game to be highly memorable. All of it's problems are not for lack of trying, but more by limit of technology. Mean Streets, Nuclear Winter, Fallout, Under Siege, Dry Town, Jailbreak, Up Ship Creek, and Brothers Nukem are excellent levels, and many other levels like Hydrogen Bomb and Going Down aren't terrible, and are definitely uniquely memorable.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostFox, on 26 September 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

Even if you don't like it, you should agree that it's way better than DNF.

Well, the opening level does have more of a Duke (3D) feel than anything in DNF, though that isn't much of an accomplishment.

Zero Hour seems to have some presentational issues; apparently it contains a number of bug and glitches, standard res is only 320x240, the 640x480 "high res" option is unbearable, there is no mid-level saving and the audio mix seems rather dry.
I'm not crazy about the music either, there's not a lot of it to begin with and what's actually available is either mediocre "rawk" or theme specific atmospheric stuff that's been done better elsewhere (e.g. Dry Town isn't quite as good at ripping off Morricone as Outlaws was).
On top of that, ZH's main theme is just Grabbag with all the life and impetus sucked out.

On another note, Duke Nukem doesn't belong on the foggy streets of Jack the Ripper's London, that's Caleb's territory.

User is offline   necroslut 

I'm certainly not saying that ZH is a bad game - it's one of the best Duke games - but I still think it was a step backwards in almost every aspect compared to D3D, even more so than DNF was. And for it being a matter of tech, I think Eurocom pulled it off better with Duke 64, hinting it is more a question of design.

X-Vector: If you use an emulator you can have both quicsaves, smooth framereate and mouse/keyboard controls.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostX-Vector, on 27 September 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

On another note, Duke Nukem doesn't belong on the foggy streets of Jack the Ripper's London, that's Caleb's territory.

Notwithstanding everything else you've said, I have to say that I agree with this.

User is offline   Ronin 

I like the Jack the Ripper level, it was a bit creepy and who better to rip Jack a new one than Duke. Zero Hour emulated on pc does look great with no slowdown at all. Also that claw shotgun was so satisfying to blow holes in enemys with, nice sound off it too. I would love if someone could make a first person mod for it showing guns and speed Duke up a bit. At least Duke was still Duke in Zero Hour and not too over the top.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 27 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Zero Hour is one of the best games in the entire Duke franchise. The only things that really keep it from greatness are a lack of mid-level saves, and the lack of bots for multiplayer. Other than that, the game freakin' rocks!

User is offline   Komenja 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 11 November 2013 - 01:11 AM, said:

Zero Hour is one of the best games in the entire Duke franchise. The only things that really keep it from greatness are a lack of mid-level saves, and the lack of bots for multiplayer. Other than that, the game freakin' rocks!

Word.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

;)

http://www.pcpowerpl...e-of-the-triad/

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 11 November 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

You just figured you might get a few more sales for your shitty game with this post right?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 12 November 2013 - 03:58 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

Rise of the Triad 2 really is nothing like DNF should have been. It's a pretty good game but it's a completely different kind of shooter. It doesn't have any of the depth of Duke 3D (neither did the original RoTT).

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Don't think you're hot shit because of a positive review. You can't deny that game had a fuckton of flaws when it was first released, even after a few token updates.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Ha! What a inflammatory headline. Anyone with even a superficial knowledge of DNF and ROTT knows that's not even close to being true. DNF was supposed to improve on it's incredible predecessor, not remake it.

Also, it's worth noting that the reviewer, Terrence Jarrad, is a freelance writer and not part of the PCPP team. He also said, "though a virtual facsimile of the first game, what we have here is the most refreshingly original FPS of the last decade."

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I always expected that DNF would follow in Half-Life 2's footsteps. I was looking forward to it. I just didn't expect it to do it badly. Or to also follow in Halo's footsteps so much.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 November 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

I always expected that DNF would follow in Half-Life 2's footsteps. I was looking forward to it. I just didn't expect it to do it badly. Or to also follow in Halo's footsteps so much.

It would have been kind of hard for DNF to follow in Half Life 2's steps, simply because HL2 was a great and very different sequel to a great and very different original game that was a serious scifi game and not an 80's action hero parody game like duke3d was.

To make a great sequel or remake to the duke nukem series, you have to either make a very serious game about an alien invasion and have a kick ass character with humorous one liners, or you have to make a parody that better fucking be the most hilarious stuff anybody has seen in the least 10 years in any type of media, be it tv shows, movies or games...
Duke Nukem 3d was great but a clone of duke 3d with great graphics and different looking environments will simply not be able to pull it off anymore.
You can remake duke 3d with the highest graphics engine and assets possible that require 4 geforce titans to run and an i7 cpu + 32 gigs of ram, Oculus Rift enabled running at 120 fps and all you will get is just a few days of nostalgia and replay value and then we are back at square one.
Square one means that we need a new game to push the series forward and not just a remake that's neither evolving the series, nor does it bring back what was good in duke3d...
Dnf didn't push the series further nor did it bring back duke 3d with better graphics and added features on top of the already existing ones that were so great.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 13 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Agreed.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

DNF totally followed HL2's footsteps, from the physics based puzzles to the linear level design to the combat pacing and some elements of story telling, "silent" protagonist. Unfortunately it took the worst aspects of HL2 (or those totally out of place), and combined them with the worst aspects of CoD/Halo in order to squeeze out the turd that was DNF. Not to mention the half decent stuff it took was done crappily anyway.

And fuck the "cooldown" mechanic. I've always hated that thing, and not only is it on the turrets, but it's also on the friggin car, and they even found a way of working it into an elevator sequence! Repeating crappy "interactivity" doesn't make it better...

View PostMicky C, on 14 November 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

DNF totally followed HL2's footsteps, from the physics based puzzles to the linear level design to the combat pacing and some elements of story telling, "silent" protagonist. Unfortunately it took the worst aspects of HL2 (or those totally out of place), and combined them with the worst aspects of CoD/Halo in order to squeeze out the turd that was DNF. Not to mention the half decent stuff it took was done crappily anyway.

Agreed. They did have the good idea to copy hl2 but sadly they had that idea waaay too late in development and the game was also visually outdated like crazy.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 14 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

User is offline   Metalwolf 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 14 November 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Agreed. They did have the good idea to copy hl2 but sadly they had that idea waaay too late in development and the game was also visually outdated like crazy.
Well, they did copy it, but as Micky said, they did it badly. Most of HL2 puzzles looked like they were a natural part of the environment, either having been placed there by some NCP, or just were just 'happenstance' obstacles like errant electrical sparks or lasers. Most of DNF's puzzles looked unnatural, they looked too 'artificial,' like the devs were trying to say "Hey LOOK, a PUZZLE!' The only time I could really see where they looked far better was in DWCM, but then, that was a far better piece then DNF was at all.

Also with the regen health issue, both HL2 and Halo gave you ample places to take cover (even during boss battles) and gave you your maximum health bar right away. DNF gave a you a regen bar, but it was tiny and even with 'Ego Boosting' it didn't often regen quickly enough to counter the damage that the game threw at you. Thus Duke died far more often on Normal then Master Chief ever did on Heroic Difficulty (the highest difficulty I played on Halo.)

There are other things that it tried to replicate although badly, but I would say simply that it's biggest issue underlying all was that nobody was able to really override George when enough was enough. Crappy Half Life and Halo imitations would have been avoided, and we'd still be thinking of it as it's own thing instead of a poor rip-off of another.

• The Sarien Encounter

What are tou talking about? HL2 never had regenerating health.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 November 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

What are tou talking about? HL2 never had regenerating health.

Doesn't the HEV Suit heal you back to 15-25 if you are playing on easy? Or am I thinking of something else.

Anyway, as others have said Serious Sam 3 is what DNF should have been like.

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh it could be. I wouldn't know I've never played on easy. Who plays on easy?

As SS3 is in the style of game it is, no it's not what DNF should have been. Duke Nukem is not a hoarde shooter with such wide open levels. But what SS3 was to its predescessors (by bringing back everything that was great about the originals) is what DNF should have been to Duke3D.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

Serious Sam 3 is the only game to date I have played that I have truly felt "this is what DNF should have been like"
None of these new titles coming out play the same way.

User is offline   Kathy 

Does it feature a good amount of interactivity akin to Duke3d?

You could always buy it when it's on special and find out for yourself.

Oh wait, that's right. You hate Steam and don't use it.
Never mind.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I want to track down the specific person on the DNF development team who even suggested that they replace the motorcycle with a monster truck, and then ram their face into a pile of shit.

Seriously unless the original plan was to make elaborate destruction physics that let you physically flatten anything you drive over I don't see how that is more fun than a motorcycle.

@ OP, SiN is probably your best bet, though there are some stealth segments that are more annoying than fun, and blade's dialogue can be horribly cliche and hammy at times, other then that the game is very Duke-ish.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 17 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostBloodshot, on 17 November 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

I want to track down the specific person on the DNF development team who even suggested that they replace the motorcycle with a monster truck, and then ram their face into a pile of shit.

Monster truck as a vehicle was suggested several times on 3drealms forums.

• Honored Donor

Don't know why; monster truck screams overcompensating in Duke's case.

User is offline   Player Lin 

No such regenerating health bullshit in HL2 at all, even on Easy.
I played Easy when I played all HL2 games in its first run...never see any of that...

Oh, except two things:

1. You get hit by poison headcrab, and only have 1 health left(whatever you were had), and it will regenerating your health by administering antidotes to your actual health value.

2. In the water and run out of oxygen, then your health drops to death until you go back surface before you died and it will regen to your original health value.

Otherwise, you still needed your best friends when you're low of health : Med-kits and Health Stations. ;)

---

SiN episode 1(Source engine) didn't like SiN 1(quake2 engine one), it looks like more HL2-like...just feel bad...

For me, SiN 1 is more like DN3D but with some good(?) HL1 shit in it... :|

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 17 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 November 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Duke Nukem is not a hoarde shooter with such wide open levels.

It wouldn't that much of a bad idea to have maps like that in a Duke game. Duke 3D levels stand apart of its contemporaries, with open areas and themed locations, unlike Doom or Quake claustrophobic corridors.

• Honored Donor

The episode I'm (slowly) working on for WGR2 is meant to resemble Serious Sam style gameplay. Although it is a TC, I think it's totally doable.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options