Duke4.net Forums: What could of been - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What could of been  "my own SOTN/hexen FPS"

User is offline   Stabs 

my own hexen / sotn

just an idea of what i had and wanted to do may as well see it i stopped giving a fuck about it after a good freind died but at at least you can have a glimpse of my vision

sorry DT dont get me wrong i really appreciated the work, if it appeared i abandoned you, its not you i just abandoned my self

This post has been edited by DanM: 02 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

:lol:

That looks amazing! Continue work on these levels! They look absolutely stunning!

This post has been edited by Ms. Radar: 02 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

no drive, i tell ya what i spent 2 years making eternity = 77,000 views over 2 years
make retarded web comic = 225,000 views over a day

heard the saying "this is why we can't have nice things?"

and something like that is a huge undertaking, i'd need a team of mappers who could agree on a consistent format, and then i need DT to code and he aint anywhere

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

DT is missing-in-action? :lol: I wonder when that happened. Hope he'll be back soon.

And here I always thought that WG Realms 3 was only months away...

Look at the bright side: those 77,000 views you have from your Eternity videos are all from people that actually matter; people that share the same love for classic FPS modding. Who cares about those daily 225,000 views those retarded web comics get? That's an extra 225,000 views a day from a bunch of losers that you don't need. :lol:

This post has been edited by Ms. Radar: 02 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

shame i really wanted my own hexen crossed with strife, fuck they were great games and i wanted to take it a step further

i dunno mapping is a drain and takes way more time, sure coding can make amazing gameplay (cough polymer cough) features that just takes no where near the work it takes to layout a level that really sticks out, you just cant have one without the other

Posted Image

the church

it was kinda gunna be like diablo with shotguns, kill so many sub bosses to unlock a main boss with stat points and all that jazz, kinda had the idea that if you spent the time grinding you could become a GOD and why not? you spent the time, thats what made morrowind fun not all this restriction bullshit

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostMs. Radar, on 02 September 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

DT is missing-in-action? :lol: I wonder when that happened. Hope he'll be back soon.

And here I always thought that WG Realms 3 was only months away...

Look at the bright side: those 77,000 views you have from your Eternity videos are all from people that actually matter; people that share the same love for classic FPS modding. Who cares about those daily 225,000 views those retarded web comics get? That's an extra 225,000 views a day from a bunch of losers that you don't need. :lol:

I appreciate that you can see it like that, i just think its funny in about 10 years if you thought maps where mediocre now what until a generation passes without any access to modding tools.

Looking at you Randy, oh and btw where did that douche get his headstart oh thats right modding one of the most popular game franchises to make OP force which i still consider to be the epitome of add on packs

This post has been edited by DanM: 02 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

User is online   Mark 

I blew the dust off my 2 maps for the project last weekend and added a few more quests. It would be a real shame if your's don't see the light of day. They were the best of the bunch so far.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDanM, on 02 September 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

and something like that is a huge undertaking, i'd need a team of mappers who could agree on a consistent format, and then i need DT to code and he aint anywhere

Bitter-sweet. Super maps, but never to be played. Still, superfine work Posted Image

User is offline   Stabs 

maybe my problem was just narrow ideas, i needed more input and people to put the mapping work in, shape a path fuck ill come along and light it, detail it i can script and make variables like a pro

the other problem is making a massive RPG style world with no +5 shotguns, health/ammo/ etc DO NOT make you want to explore, drops, respawing monsters, gold makes RPG games, why in the name of shit would you explore for more ammo, you wanna find that super secret with the RPG with +50% damage +sets enemeys on fire @ 5 health per second.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostMark., on 02 September 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

I blew the dust off my 2 maps for the project last weekend and added a few more quests. It would be a real shame if your's don't see the light of day. They were the best of the bunch so far.

yeah mite see if i can tidy up the assests and make a game where you grind your way through, no health pickups, no ammo, just what you can buy from town should be about 8 maps max, brutal dark souls difficulty, fuck i loved that game the castlevania in 3d ive always wanted

User is online   Mark 

You're like me. I love to make the architecture but have no real ambition or skills( in my case ) putting in all the details of ammo, weapons, enemies, game flow etc....

Thats why in my maps for this project I decided to go 90 percent adventure game wandering and 10 percent shoot 'em up.

I know the frustration. I'm in some other slow moving projects including my own that has been in the making for over 2 years now. Sometimes I give up and release them in the "unfinished content" thread, but there are still some I want to see all the way thru.

BTW. Next time lighten up the video so everyone can see my beautiful game assets. :lol:

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

its quite a task doing the health / ammo balance vs peoples skill levels

personally all that should be based on difficulty, large 30+ health only gives you 10+ on the hardest difficulty and smaller ones give 3+

I like action but i dont like to limit the amount of killing cause thats the real fun part, beefing up your char and unleashing hell, based on difficulty I have always thought difficulty should be based more on quantity vs item vs difficulty vs dmg taken

I guess if i did do a tidy up the only thing i could put in maps is gold/gold dropped and way points and you make your decisions from there, i couldn't care if you paint yourself into a corner with your poor decisions, punishment is what made dark souls great

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostMark., on 02 September 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

BTW. Next time lighten up the video so everyone can see my beautiful game assets. :lol:

true dat, youtube makes that shit to easy now :lol:

User is offline   Spiker 

That looks amazing. Not finishing it would be a crime. Don't you even dare!:lol:

User is offline   Stabs 

well I've been thinking of a way of doing it, it may only be an ACT I so to say, not my grand plan but it seems to have gauge enough interest

couple of keys here and there and i guess i could have an act, but no pickups cept gold, any ammo weapons etc has to be bought from the blacksmith in town, in between areas enemies re spawn but i can put way points at select locations to take out a bit of tedium, unless of course you want to farm gold, i dont care if you want to stock up on BFG arsenal from hell, you spent the time you earnt it, play it your way

I guess the only real advantage of exploration is gold or +1 stat points to a select category, which also i guess falls under farming for EXP

still a large task but can be done, actually want to recruit mappers under me so its not so daunting, BTW really not helping with edukes new VIS support maps dont look anything like they used to anyway unfortunately unless it gets reverted.

BTW i did draw all the art for the stat point screen and it works great too, you'd think before diablo 3 blizzard made it

This post has been edited by DanM: 02 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah the levels look really good and have fantastic atmosphere. If you could release as playable in any way, even if it's technically a butchered version of the grand idea you originally had for the episode, then that would be a good thing.

With my Serious Sam inspired episode, I've realized that the only way I'll get it out the door is to focus on finishing levels I've already started and done decent work in, so I've scrapped several hypothetical and barely started levels, as well as toned down some of the more ambitious ideas I had.

User is offline   Lunick 

I love DanM.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostDeeper Micky, on 02 September 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

With my Serious Sam inspired episode, I've realized that the only way I'll get it out the door is to focus on finishing levels I've already started and done decent work in, so I've scrapped several hypothetical and barely started levels, as well as toned down some of the more ambitious ideas I had.

yup good mapping takes long enough let alone an episode of it.

it be a shame to see the exterior of the church go to waste, seriously its like 10 TROR layers of beautiful classical architecture

heh love you too buddy :lol:

edit : like i said earlier though, the vis system needs to go back to how it used to, the fog is insane now in the maps or at least tweak so its not so heavy

This post has been edited by DanM: 02 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

User is online   Mark 

As a last resort you could always include the older version of Eduke that worked good with your maps.

Just for fun I took a couple of your older graveyard test maps and put them into my Graveyard TC . Not a single texture or model lines up with my custom assets. This was expected. It would be a whole lot of conversion work to make anything useful from those maps. It was just a thought in case you abandon something and don't want the stuff to go to waste. :lol:

I just re-read my post and I sure do look like a vulture flying around the dying guy waiting for my meal. :lol:

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

heh why the hell not if my current plan falls through, they are some really nice maps, did alot of soundwork and they have a different kinda atmosphere than ive ever been able to make before

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

Looks awesome, man. It's sad that you stopped working on it.

User is offline   Stabs 

Well not really anymore, ive been looking at what i have and there is a TON of maps and most are already linked via hexen backtracking, just need to expand some bits and just settle for something smaller than planned but when i think about it there is quite a bit of content, i guess i gotta stop looking at things as if iam playing it and know where everything is and shuold take way longer than expected especially if i balance the gameplay to make the player more fragile and not so rambo.

If i move to flask systems for healh, spending wisely, balance the respawns, and just use gold and way points, it should work out as a very memorable experience, just eduke32 ruined visibility in the newer updates and my maps look terrible now, it worked better before tbh and i really wanted to use the new versions of eduke, esp the 64-bit edition as it does seem to have performance increases

• Honored Donor

By via do you mean polymer's new classic art mapping? That can be disabled.

User is offline   Stabs 

yeah something abut how polymer went back to a more classic style of visibilty rendering, my maps look so different now and no matter what vis level i set i can never get it how i used to like it

BEFORE 3736

Attached Image: BEFORE.png

AFTER 3737

Attached Image: AFTER.png

only difference is eduke version

This post has been edited by DanM: 02 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

• Honored Donor

Do you know which eduke version caused the change?

The thing I was referring to was polymer's new feature to shade 8-art using shade tables like the classic renderer instead of adding black to it like polymost. IIRC it came out less than a few months ago.

This post has been edited by Deeper Micky: 02 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

3737 is the build where the problem starts

This post has been edited by DanM: 02 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDanM, on 02 September 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

3737 is the build where the problem starts

Then post that proplem in EDuke32 section, pretty please! I want those maps! Posted Image

User is offline   Stabs 

Done :lol:

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Try:
r_usenewshading 1
r_shadescale 1.3

User is offline   Stabs 

nah sorry no change, deleted cfgs, and texture cache files too

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options