Duke4.net Forums: Problem with clipping inconsistency while underwater - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem with clipping inconsistency while underwater

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

So me and LLCooldave have been working on some speedruns of this game and currently we are using eduke32 to do the runs, we noticed an unfortunate inconsistency between 1.5 and eduke32 binaries.

Adding a video from a test stream that I was doing at the time when we debugged some things.
http://www.twitch.tv...mia/b/453731567

Level is E3L1 - Raw Meat

EDUKE32 - If you look in to 1:17:40, you can see me clipping inside the closed door thingy and surviving, just get some speed and strafe in to with with roids.
1.5 DOS - Past 1:19 you can see numerous attempts at trying to get inside, while you can get inside there with god mode (similar result to eduke32), without it you will just get squished.

Of course we wanted this to work since it would allow a really nice route so we tested xDuke, JFDuke and 1.3d and 1.5 and managed to narrow this down to r1632 with eduke32.
Everything else before r1632 uses the correct behavior where it kills you, past that seems to be all the same (hand picked a few builds here and there).

This same inconsistency will also let you clip inside the building that has the opening windows in E3L3 - Flood Zone. (Normally you'd have to resort to a pipe bomb boost to get enough speed to survive this).

Not sure where else this can be applied but I guess all this should help to narrow it down.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Which builds before 1632 did you test? SVN commit 1625 is from the dark ages of EDuke32 development and contains thousands of lines of changes that are pretty difficult to dig through.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

We narrowed it down to being correct on 1623 so anything before that is ok, 1632 seems to be the one that introduced it.

So anything that is 1623 or less, other ports, DOS etc.. work as intended (you die)
1632 and beyond (you live)

Coincides with mouse Y aiming being on by default, no clue if it has any effect on this.
You do die on many other walls in newest builds so these underwater walls are kind of a special case, possibly related to strafing angle and speed that you use to pass trough it.

The whole reason behind roids is that you move fast enough to avoid squishing, so the faster you move, the better survival chances.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options