Duke4.net Forums: Large area map clipping - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Large area map clipping

Hello all

Is it even possible to make a large open sector map?? e.g. Map E1L1 where you begin and it looks like your on top of a building in an open city. Seems like no matter what you do the map clips like crazy and it's not even workable. Never tried to make a large scale map using such a large open area. But after playing around with it, it doesn't seem possible. Are there any work arounds to maybe pull some smoke and mirrors to achieve a open feel to the map?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

You can make a map as large as the mapster grid allows, performance on the other hand is another issue. If you have clipping issues then you are making your sectors incorrectly.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

The bike map on dukeplus is a good example on how to achieve large maps. It has to be broken into several sectors to avoid clipping, it seems there is a limit on how big a single sector can be.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Should probably ask Muelsa as well, his mods have insanely large maps in general.

HuH... yea I just have a container with everything in it. I tested the map in actual game play and there is no clipping. But in mapster it clips like crazy in the middle of the left hand side of the map.

Posted Image

Another issue i'm having. Making a staircase and went to smooth out the top of the roof so it doesn't look like minecraft stairs. And the first sector doesn't slope in the right direction and haven't found the keys that change the slope direction. ' [ & ] ' change the slope. But how to change the axis direction of the slope i never knew how. All I have learned was how to make a lope using the mouse lol.

This post has been edited by 1337DirtAlliance: 20 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

What is up with that 2D image, last time I looked mapster doesn't take screen shots like that.
Plus the way you have constructed your large open area is wrong, it doesn't appear that the outside walls are connected to any of the inside sectors which is why your going to have weird issues.

Posted Image

You need to cut your sectors up more like the above shot (red lines connecting to the white outside line)
Even this shot can be considered a bad example as it should be have more sectors cutting it up.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 20 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Ahhhhh okay, i'll give that a shot 'n see if that solves that problem. I just went fullscreen and pressed the printscreen button. And then copied it into paint and saved. Just reloaded my machine so photoshop is not loaded yet. Maybe paint just sucks? lol

Use F12 to take a screen shot and any modern image editing programs to change the capt####.tga to something more suitable...

Posted Image

Before I broke up the outside container the lines weren't white, they were blue.

Yup.. broke up the outside container and added some connecting sectors to the outside and there is no more map clipping. Still need to be able to change the direction angle of a slope.

This post has been edited by 1337DirtAlliance: 20 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

View Post1337DirtAlliance, on 20 August 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Before I broke up the outside container the lines weren't white, they were blue.

That's half your problem right their, if they are blue that is trying to tell you they are to long/large.

View Post1337DirtAlliance, on 20 August 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Still need to be able to change the direction angle of a slope.

This does not make sense to me, you can change the direction of a slope by changing the sectors first wall.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Should the wall on the right be red or white? if it was white and then transformed to red then something's very wrong. Don't continue working on it until that issue is solved.

setting a first wall fixed the issue. Sweet, thanks!!

Being that you were chiming in on the xxx pack not working. Has anyone been able to replace high res textures?

View PostDavoX, on 21 August 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

Should the wall on the right be red or white? if it was white and then transformed to red then something's very wrong. Don't continue working on it until that issue is solved.

This

The outside walls are white. It's because it's zoomed out so it makes it look like that wall is red. Lol yea i was like wtf!!!! when I first saw it showing it red.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I got some crazy maps with extremely large open area, lots of sectors / buildings/ sprites etc.
With a fast PC you should be fine.

Some of my map get nearly 2k sprites in one area (large area)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options