Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3d sprites converted to gifs? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3d sprites converted to gifs?

User is offline   cj31387 

Has anyone ever made a full or big library of the sprite animations from duke nukem 3d to gifs? like Duke's Death gif or duke running gif? If not how would you go about making those sprites gifs?

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Posted Image
Duke running gif

View PostMoose Man, on 13 August 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Posted Image
Duke running gif

yeah stuff like that, where did you get it? I'm looking for a bunch of duke gifs.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

View Postcj31387, on 13 August 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

yeah stuff like that, where did you get it? I'm looking for a bunch of duke gifs.

This, I'm looking for more on other sites. This seems to be the only one he's posted.

View PostMoose Man, on 13 August 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

This, I'm looking for more on other sites. This seems to be the only one he's posted.

Well I bet the ones I want really aren't on google because i've looked and only seen like 1. Could you tell me the steps or software I would need to make them custom? I know how to extract the duke GRP, but I can't find a duke .art viewer that works on win 7.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image Posted Image

beta death (bloodless), final death

View PostHendricks266, on 13 August 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Posted Image Posted Image

beta death (bloodless), final death

Yeah that ones awesome. Can you guys post the root link of where you got them too?

• Weaponized Autism

I made mine in GIMP by layering the art tiles extracted from the game according to their positioning offsets.

View PostHendricks266, on 13 August 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

I made mine in GIMP by layering the art tiles extracted from the game according to their positioning offsets.

how can you tell the positioning offset if they are pink in the background

also how can i convert the .art to a acceptable format from win 7

This post has been edited by cj31387: 13 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

1. Put a transparency on your top layer so you can see what is underneath.

2. GRPViewer by Roma Loom. It will output to PCX. Then you can convert back to .gif or anything you want.

View PostTea Monster, on 14 August 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

1. Put a transparency on your top layer so you can see what is underneath.

2. GRPViewer by Roma Loom. It will output to PCX. Then you can convert back to .gif or anything you want.

1: What do you mean? make a opaque layer? What will that do. How does that tell me the offset of the tile so I can crop out the exact spot?

2: I don't see any option in GRPViewer to export .art to PCX, wheres that option?

User is offline   Hank 

View Postcj31387, on 13 August 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

how can you tell the positioning offset if they are pink in the background

also how can i convert the .art to a acceptable format from win 7

sample of my work
Posted Image

1. You extract image files from the .art file with either DukeRes or bastArt
links here http://dukertcm.com/...-tools-editart/

2. Open each image in the gimp and give it a transparent layer, and delete the pink colour.

3. Make a new file in The Gimp and place all still images into a set of layers.

4. Position the layers visually until the animation sequence looks right in the Gimp

5. Export the file as animated gif

That simple or that complex. Posted Image

User is offline   ---- 

Here you have them already extracted:

http://www.spriters-...er/dukenukem3d/

Just copy the single frames/parts from the bigger images into a new one in GIMP and it should automatically add a new layer when pasting. Then you can adjust them visually, as Hank already pointed out.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 14 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

View Postfuegerstef, on 14 August 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Here you have them already extracted:

http://www.spriters-...er/dukenukem3d/

Just copy the single frames/parts from the bigger images into a new one in GIMP and it should automatically add a new layer when pasting. Then you can adjust them visually, as Hank already pointed out.

Wow thanks for that link fuegerstef because I'm on win 7 and cant use bastArt or dukeRes. Also thanks Hank for the explanation.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postcj31387, on 14 August 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

Wow thanks for that link fuegerstef because I'm on win 7 and cant use bastArt or dukeRes. Also thanks Hank for the explanation.

You are welcome.
Just one thing, bastArt and DukeRes should work on Windows 7. Posted Image

View PostHank, on 14 August 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

You are welcome.
Just one thing, bastArt and DukeRes should work on Windows 7. Posted Image

Yeah actually DukeRes does open for me, but bastArt says im missing a oxc file.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

BastArt won't. I tried one other one and it didn't like Win 7 64. GRP Viewer worked a treat.

I think it would be nice to have a full set of modern tools that work without a hitch on Win 7 64 bit. Right now, there's a giant smorgasbord of tools out there that could easily be consolidated. Some of them don't even work in Win 7 64 bit for various reasons, so if you need one to perform a specific function, then welp you're fucked. Creating modern and user-friendly tools (no command line shit needed to make it work and a good GUI) would be a huge boost in making DN3D modding accessible to more people, which would mean more neato projects being made. Look at Doom for an example of how easy to work with and modern tools can be a big boost to modding.

Making Mapster more like Doom Builder would also go a long way in encouraging more people to mod DN3D, but that's been talked about a few times here before.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 14 August 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

I think it would be nice to have a full set of modern tools that work without a hitch on Win 7 64 bit.

Someday.

User is offline   Shelia 

I know this is old ,but It'd be cool to see a slimer attach to a girl rip her clothes off and turn her into a slime babe gif.

User is offline   mxrtxn 

If you need the O.J. car chase feel free to download my avatar...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options