Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D Late Beta/LameDuke (Mixed) TC for Duke3D BETA v0.99 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D Late Beta/LameDuke (Mixed) TC for Duke3D BETA v0.99

User is offline   xBRYAN2000x 

• I need to grow up.

Hi and some of you may know me from the 3DRealms Fourms
i recently started a Project about Lameduke to Late Duke3D Beta mixed
but you know that this is a Mix because im only using remade/available content
that was diffrent compared to Duke3D Final :P

Posted Image
Posted Image

Credits
Pallete : Cage
Ripper Cannon, RPG Lameduke : Cage
HUD : xBRYAN2000x
Shotgun Pickup : xBRYAN2000x
Font : xBRYAN2000x

Process on the Duke3D Beta Mod

Added :
Beta HUD from Screenshots
Early Shotgun Pickup Sprite
Chaingun (Based on the LameDuke Sprites)
Engine changed to the Old Duke3D Beta v0.99 because it adds KILLS on hud
Lameduke (RPG)
Doom Type Font
Lameduke Player Sounds

Needed :
Lameduke Monsters
Releasing the Test Verison featuring custom maps

NOTE: Duke3D Beta v0.99 officaly supports 1.3D maps using this :
http://www.mediafire...1w/dukebeta.rar
My copy of the Duke3D includes Episodes 2 and 3 added.

Hope everybody likes my process of the mixed beta recreation mod

8/2/2013 - 6:24 PM Update

The Doom Style Font has been added
Before :
Posted Image

Remade :
Posted Image

This post has been edited by xBRYAN2000x: 02 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Checking it out now, but so far I've noticed from the screenshots that the beta shotgun doesn't look very much like the one seen in the magazine article, so here's a version I did trying to make it look as close to it as possible.

Attached Image: wfsHEHe.png

• I need to grow up.

View PostMoose Man, on 03 August 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

Checking it out now, but so far I've noticed from the screenshots that the beta shotgun doesn't look very much like the one seen in the magazine article, so here's a version I did trying to make it look as close to it as possible.

Attachment wfsHEHe.png

Thx Moose Man
i,ll go credit you as soon as i done adding that into my game :P
btw i had found this font set and im working on that
if anyone is willing to work on it and pm me the file i would thx you

P.S
I found that from Cage

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by xBRYAN2000x: 03 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

User is offline   t800 

Bit noobish question, but how can I run your mod? I am trying to get it running with DosBox (because running dos games in Win 7 64bit is mission impossible), but if I try to launch FULL.BAT it just displays game end screen, SHAREWARE.BAT doesnt work at all and DUKE3D.EXE just launch ordinary 0.99 beta of Duke3D. So, what I am doing wrong? Thanks for answer.

P.S. Judging from posted screens so far it looks like interesting project, (I hope more promising look than other sadly cancelled mod made by Cage >Click here<), but I see that you decided to change shotgun pickup sprite to that odd one which was as it seems shortly used, but did you know that even sprite for player view was made for it? Check this scan from old gaming mag: >Click here<

• I need to grow up.

View Postt800, on 03 August 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

Bit noobish question, but how can I run your mod? I am trying to get it running with DosBox (because running dos games in Win 7 64bit is mission impossible), but if I try to launch FULL.BAT it just displays game end screen, SHAREWARE.BAT doesnt work at all and DUKE3D.EXE just launch ordinary 0.99 beta of Duke3D. So, what I am doing wrong? Thanks for answer.

P.S. Judging from posted screens so far it looks like interesting project, (I hope more promising look than other sadly cancelled mod made by Cage >Click here<), but I see that you decided to change shotgun pickup sprite to that odd one which was as it seems shortly used, but did you know that even sprite for player view was made for it? Check this scan from old gaming mag: >Click here<

im not sure why but i heard most v1.3d maps work so far except the ones with more than 8 player spawns and used with Version 1.4/1.5 aka Atomic Edition so i think try duke3d /q1 if that works then select the map to play on on coop for episode 2 who knows be sure to select it as a User Map who knows

Plus that shotgun sprite is which i found before but the problem is that if there was a remade sprite sheet of that made then i,ll add it in.
Soon im gonna edit my post with a video "21 Minutes of DN3D Beta Recreation Deathmatch"
i called it deathmatch because it was used in v0.99 before they renamed it to Dukematch and stuff
And Trevor0402 my brother and I where playing a Game of Deathmatch in 21 Minutes up to 50 Frags then we say gg
Here is the two screenshots about it
Posted Image Posted Image

Nice one :P How about you would try to make the HUD look very close to one HUD from screenshots with the infinity sign in it?

EDIT: I misread the original topic. However, I'm keeping the below paragraph because it has good advice.

If you're going to "remake" something, expand on the concepts and put your own twist on things instead of slapping Lameduke resources into DN3D, trying to remake some unused level screenshots, and calling it a day. There's always a reason why "OMG BETA!!!!" stuff was removed (hint: its often because they couldn't make it work or it wasn't as fun or cool as they thought it would be). Simply copy and pasting shit still has the problems the original ideas has.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 08 August 2013 - 02:33 AM

User is offline   t800 

To MYHOUSE.MAP:

So, you think that if Duke3D got released in art direction of LameDuke (but obviously with fixed glitches and balanced gameplay rules/mechanics) it wouldnt be enjoyable game?

Well, maybe it wouldnt be such a hit, but some things I honestly prefer in LameDuke over finished one. LameDukes RPG always seemed to me as more satisfying to use (you have to select it and then raise it), better/stronger looking weapon and I like flame trails behind launched rockets (and used jetpack). Also some city maps feel more impressive and grand than Duke3D ones. I think they were aiming for proinenet and advanced enviroment destructibility. It has some neat special GFXs like water mirroring. Elevators could travel between more than 2 floors. Theme of it seems to me like "Duke Nukem I in 3D" because some of its enemies give me strong Doctor Protons Technobot army vibe.

So no, I wont mind any good authentic reconstruction of LameDuke direction (with added details and fixed problems) for Duke3D at all! So far we only got 2 mods that replicate LameDukes levels and one canned mod made by Cage (which looked so promising and was IMHO going exactly right way *sigh*, maybe some day community will revive its interest in it.)

View Postt800, on 08 August 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

To MYHOUSE.MAP:

So, you think that if Duke3D got released in art direction of LameDuke (but obviously with fixed glitches and balanced gameplay rules/mechanics) it wouldnt be enjoyable game?

Well, maybe it wouldnt be such a hit, but some things I honestly prefer in LameDuke over finished one. LameDukes RPG always seemed to me as more satisfying to use (you have to select it and then raise it), better/stronger looking weapon and I like flame trails behind launched rockets (and used jetpack). Also some city maps feel more impressive and grand than Duke3D ones. I think they were aiming for proinenet and advanced enviroment destructibility. It has some neat special GFXs like water mirroring. Elevators could travel between more than 2 floors. Theme of it seems to me like "Duke Nukem I in 3D" because some of its enemies give me strong Doctor Protons Technobot army vibe.

So no, I wont mind any good authentic reconstruction of LameDuke direction (with added details and fixed problems) for Duke3D at all! So far we only got 2 mods that replicate LameDukes levels and one canned mod made by Cage (which looked so promising and was IMHO going exactly right way *sigh*, maybe some day community will revive its interest in it.)

I'm not saying all of the ideas are inherently bad; I'm saying that simply copy and pasting things like LD's maps and enemies doesn't really take advantage of what you can do. If someone wanted to do a remake, they could take the basic premise of "Duke 1 in 3D" and work it their own way instead of trying to jury-rig LD resources into the final game, making a few half-assed levels based on screenshots of unused levels, and calling it a day. Systems are a lot more powerful and we have EDuke32. Limiting yourself to old and obsolete resources when you could make much better ones is a bad idea and can lead into you falling into the same problems the developers had when they were working on the concepts back in 94 and 95.

Take E1L6 in Lameduke. It's a huge and impressive-looking city, but there isn't any real gameplay to speak of outside of some Troopers at the start. A smart person would take the basic idea (not the map), but put their own touches on the idea so that there's actual objectives, challenges and level flow instead of a giant, blank city that seems more like a proof-of-concept than a real level. That takes a lot more effort, but it would be much more fun for players and satisfying for developers than converting E1L6 into the final's map format and doing a Find -> Replace on the enemies so their final equivalents appear.

The DNF mod released this year is a good example of what I'm talking about. Instead of simply remaking scenes from the old DNF trailers and calling it a day, the developers made new levels and challenges that were inspired by those videos and the ideas in them. It took a lot of work, but the package was a lot more fun and memorable than if they just did quick remakes and pushed it out.

Actually that link with Duke3D beta 0.99 with maps from episode 2 and 3 and with SHAREWARE and FULL.BAT are actually made by me, but if you want to use it as a base for your own project then you are free to use, just give credit to me, LakiSoft :lol:

Why did someone thumbed down my comment and why no one replied? Why are you defending this guy and not believeing me that I did this goddamned beta project and this guy stole my work!

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Maybe he questioned whether you truly are the author of what you claim you are. That's what I'm wondering. I don't mean to question your integrity, but I don't remember any release thread by you regarding these beta-inspired assets you claim to have made. Who knows, I am after all mentally retarded and may have just missed it, and if so please share your original release post or thread so you can prove me wrong.

I also remember back when you were known as "Lakisoft", you were trying to make episodes compiled with other people's work. Maybe these downvoters thought you were being hypocritical. But this is all just assumptions. Who knows what they think, because they're all being necrosluts and haven't actually posted to tell you what they think.

This post has been edited by Ms. Radar: 03 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostMs. Radar, on 03 September 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

Maybe he questioned whether you truly are the author of what you claim you are. That's what I'm wondering. I don't mean to question your integrity, but I don't remember any release thread by you regarding these beta-inspired assets you claim to have made. Who knows, I am after all mentally retarded and may have just missed it, and if so please share your original release post or thread so you can prove me wrong.

I also remember back when you were known as "Lakisoft", you were trying to make episodes compiled with other people's work. Maybe these downvoters thought you were being hypocritical. But this is all just assumptions. Who knows what they think, because they're all being necrosluts and haven't actually posted to tell you what they think.

Ok, i was asshole in that time, that was my retarded idea but i never did something like that, it was just ides, for this project if you don't beleive here is orignal link http://www.2shared.c.../DUKE3BETA.html and original thread as well http://forums.duke4....d-old-versions/

Look at all posts!

User is offline   leilei 

Why do you want credit for illegally repacking registered version media (and proclaiming so like it's totally your own original work) with an old beta? It's not like this community is too dumb on how to use KEXTRACT on their 1.3D grp file and copy those .map files over to the 0.99 beta.

Kids these days and their unencyclopedic obsessive fascination with 'betas', going for 'internet cool points' rather than any curious developmental insights, often younger than the betas or final releases themselves...

This post has been edited by leilei: 03 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

TODO: hack forum software to allow upvoting the same post more than once.

View Postleilei, on 03 September 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

Why do you want credit for illegally repacking registered version media (and proclaiming so like it's totally your own original work) with an old beta? It's not like this community is too dumb on how to use KEXTRACT on their 1.3D grp file and copy those .map files over to the 0.99 beta.

Kids these days and their unencyclopedic obsessive fascination with 'betas', going for 'internet cool points' rather than any curious developmental insights, often younger than the betas or final releases themselves...

This. I'm tired of every snot-nosed teen thinking he's hot shit because he has something like the old Doom prototypes. Nobody fucking cares that you have it asshole. I've been involved with betas and shit for over 10 years and I'm getting sick of and tired of punk-ass teens half-assing stuff and stealing other's work and research so they can look cooler and smarter than the jocks and bullies at school. I had to deal with one of those fuckers a while back (complete with stealing information that I and others worked on and claiming them for himself) and god damn are they dumb. It's like the worst of 2001-era BETAAAA research without anyone actually hacking into the betas and seeing what's in them. All they do is just regurgitate what they see on sites like tcrf.net when it comes to actually interrogating them about what's in the betas. Most of the time they don't even mess with the betas; they just "collect" them and think they're the king of shit mountain when they "release" them on sites like Beta Archive. WOW YOU HAVE LAMEDUKE. TELL MORE MORE OH MIGHTY BETA MASTER WHO'S BALLS ARE JUST STARTING TO DROP.

Also, "beta" remakes are stupid shit. Why not spend your time actually making a mod instead of doing what's basically an overglorified tech exercise. I mean, I've done some shit like this, but I never said it was a remake mod or whatever. It was all just for fun. Again, it's just douchebag teens wanting their 5 minutes of fame and show how "smart" they are to the world. Who cares.

EDIT: I know this rant was completely out of the blue, but it's extremely frustrating seeing cool and interesting beta research get replaced with know-it-all teens shitting everywhere for the past two or so years. There's still a lot of stuff that needs to be researched and explored, but instead of doing that, these punks upload some shit images on tcrf.net, record a Youtube video that looks like it was recorded in a tin can, and think they're "beta hunting experts". Of course, all of their betas were either found on really obvious sites like Beta Archive, "official" homes for certain betas like the /idgames archive, or they just outright beg and harass people until they get want they want. These kids are also making it harder to actually chit-chat with developers about betas and unused content because they flood dev's emails with inane questions, which just turns the dev off. This has been something of a problem as early back as Sonic 2, but with more kids thinking betas are the new cool thing, it makes it harder to actually get in contact with them.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 03 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

Yes, i did use Duke3D 0.99 Beta and with GroupStudio i did mixed itself with v1.3D registered resources because i wanted Full Beta with Flamethrower and Space Suit. There's still people who like beta remakes not only kids. Yes i know this is not 100% legal but there's no other way, all i wanted is that he XBryan2000X give me credit for modifing some maps and makeing them compatibility with 0.99 BETA .EXE. Also for your information betas are cool because they contain stuff that should 3D Realms keep in v1.3D and newer but they didn't it's so sad they removed Space Suit and Flamethrower. Hope you understand now :lol:

User is offline   t800 

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 03 September 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

Also, "beta" remakes are stupid shit. Why not spend your time actually making a mod instead of doing what's basically an overglorified tech exercise. I mean, I've done some shit like this, but I never said it was a remake mod or whatever. It was all just for fun. Again, it's just douchebag teens wanting their 5 minutes of fame and show how "smart" they are to the world. Who cares.

:lol: Are we getting there again?! I partially agreed with your opinion from previous post about them, but this is just plainly arrogant and excessively blown out of any sense.

Tell Cage who was working hardly on his beta inspired mod, that he was just attention seeking douche.
Tell this to hfc2x and his team from ZDoom forums who are 3 years(!) meticiously working on replicating gameplay and atmospehere of Doom beta versions (and vision of Tom Hall from Doom Bible) in their mod Doom: Evil Unleashed (WIP)

I know that those projects I listed above are big and "serious" efforts. But it in principle it doesnt make any difference between them and somebody full of entusiasm but inexperienced, who wants make his/her own beta inspired mod. He/she definitely doesnt deserve getting distain from community (which calls itself as welcoming place) just because theme of his/her work.

Oh, and I care!

P.S. I strongly disagree with statement that unique features that were included in prototypes of games should be automatically ignored/considered bad game design just because fact that they were removed from final versions. (Saying that realization of game developers that something didnt make enjoyable gaming experience as they expected was really the only reason for removal is utterly ignorant.)

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

What is this, I don't even.

User is offline   leilei 

View Postt800, on 04 September 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:

Tell Cage who was working hardly on his beta inspired mod, that he was just attention seeking douche.
Tell this to hfc2x and his team from ZDoom forums who are 3 years(!) meticiously working on replicating gameplay and atmospehere of Doom beta versions (and vision of Tom Hall from Doom Bible) in their mod Doom: Evil Unleashed (WIP)

There's a difference between 'making inspired from the early design doc/prototypical pre-release media' (which is what MYHOUSE.MAP referred to in a previous post) and 'making fake beta with no research by copying others things for self glory its by me do not steal my beta its mine!!! give me credit!!! because beta is another word for better betas are better before the company's foucked them up'

I remember one little assmunch metalhead kept spamming about demanding some "superior" Quake3 alpha over a Jan 1999 technology video I upped, assuming it 'exists' out there and he's entitled for it. Later on when I mentioned Quake was a "dumb client" (how it works with its client/server system) he went on a tirade how it's not dumb and Carmack is a sellout... It's kids like those that are the problem. They expect to want betas for collecting without even understanding the game itself, and there's kids that fake them to get their 'honor' leading to a massive misinformation SNR, all due to the "beta is better" placebo effect.

These brats are why we can't have nice things and why some developers are getting far more reclusive in communications.

This post has been edited by leilei: 04 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View Postleilei, on 04 September 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

There's a difference between 'making inspired from the early design doc/prototypical pre-release media' (which is what MYHOUSE.MAP referred to in a previous post) and 'making fake beta with no research by copying others things for self glory its by me do not steal my beta its mine!!! give me credit!!! because beta is another word for better betas are better before the company's foucked them up'

Posted Image

Demarius Nukem

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

• el fundador

View PostViper The Rapper, on 13 September 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

Posted Image

Demarius Nukem

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

I'M. BLACK.

Demarius dun be the REAL badass. Duke ain't got no coke nail.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

OPEN THE REGISTER!

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

WTF they gave him nails lol! The lips are too MR. POPO imo :lol:

User is offline   uh . . . . 

View PostTerminX, on 13 September 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I'M. BLACK.

No, I accidentally voted this post down! :lol:

• el fundador

Quick, somebody upvote me again so my rep is back to 1,337!

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTerminX, on 24 September 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Hi

View PostTerminX, on 24 September 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

And now it's at 1338.

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 24 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options