Duke4.net Forums: Rise Of The Triad (2013) - Duke4.net Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rise Of The Triad (2013)

I must honestly say I liked RoTT more. I mean for me personally price is really important since I don't have that much money for gaming. I mean 35 Euros or a 4-pack for same price.. I still find it scandalous that you can't download maps in-game. How the hell is that even possible in 2013/2014?!

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I'm probably falling behind in ROTT news, but does anyone know what happened regarding that Shotgun they had planned?

They've chosen the name "Doomstick" for the shotgun and posted an image of the high-poly model, but there's nothing so far to suggest the weapon is in a playable state yet.

User is online   Lunick 

It's probably in the same place where Duke Nukem 1 for iOS, the fixed Duke Nukem Manhattan Project Steam build, Linux versions of their games, Unpatched Blake Stone in the Apogee Throwback Pack and outdated DOSBox builds are :D

This post has been edited by Lunick: 20 January 2014 - 04:13 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I thought it was the RottGun?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 January 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

I thought it was the RottGun?
That was their initial idea, but then they decided to have a voting contest on their Facebook page to name it.

Anyhow, looking into the matter a little deeper, it turns out an unfinished-but-functional version of the shotgun was added in December 18's 1.3 patch. Here's a screenshot:
http://cloud-2.steam...AB34714568DBB4/

It lacks a texture and a pickup model, but it works. The primary fire is a massively powerful blast of buckshot, and the secondary fire is a burst of the Firewall's Needler needles. However, I'm assuming this is not final as the primary fire is strong enough to kill the bosses in only a few shots. Nonetheless, that's progress there at least. I'm still more curious about the new singleplayer levels, assuming that's still going to be a thing.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Weapon is finalized, Implemented in both Singleplayer and Multiplayer, and our Testing Team are having a ton of fun with it.
It will be part of the next Patch :D

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 17 January 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

It would be criminal to pick ROTT over Shadow Warrior. Shadow Warrior's super polished and doesn't suffer from hit-scan enemies and general jankiness that ROTT has in boat loads. You can cut apart or shoot to pieces just about all the props in the world. It's awesome!

I think it's because SW and RoTT are aiming for two different things. SW's marketing claims it's an old-school shooter, but it's more akin to a first person version of something like Ninja Gaiden than a Doom-like game. I think that makes it a bit more fun and fresh than RoTT. Don't get me wrong, RoTT (after quicksave was implanted) is a really good game, but SW is great because it gives you something unique; a first person game with really fun melee combat. That also bites SW in the ass when you have to use weapons, because they feel really underpowered and janky compared to the really fun katana. Unless you have a fully-upgraded shotgun or a rocket launcher, the shooting is boring as shit. The bosses are pretty bad because the game forces you to go from a whirlwind of death to a loser with boring and lame weapons like the PDWs and Crossbow. Even if you don't have to use the guns somewhere, taking out most of them quickly saps the fun from the game.

RoTT isn't as polished, but at least it's combat is consistent throughout the game. You don't go from rocket-spewing god of death to a dork plinking away with the MP40 when you encounter a certain enemy or a boss. In fact, some of the enemies encourage you to break out the explosive weapons!

User is offline   MrFlibble 

What about the shareware/The HUNT Begins campaign?

User is online   Lunick 

View PostMrFlibble, on 20 January 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

I should add that to my post.

View PostMrFlibble, on 20 January 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

They should make free DLC levels that are also used in the demo/shareware version. It'd be like the original, where the shareware versions levels weren't in the registered version, but you could play them in the registered version via the custom level loader.

Agree with your post, MYHOUSE, couldn't have said it better myself.

Also for a first game ROTT is kind of good. I mean I would rather see them with their own game, but I guess they are working on something completely new now?

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Appreciate the thoughtful post, Myhouse.map.

I guess Shadow Warrior was marketed as an old school game, but that's neither here nor there. I mean ROTT was marketed as "old school" too, and there were loads of instances were that's not the case (no backtracking, internet humor, limited inventory, profanity, graphics card partnerships). ROTT was so buggy for me that to this day I can't launch it through Steam - that makes it the most buggy game I've played in about half a decade! I know I'm in the minority on that, but geez how is that acceptable? I can't even access the graphics settings! I really think Interceptor should have released ROTT as an early access title. It was bit cheeky releasing when they did (I suppose they ran out of money). The end product is what matters, not the intentions behind it. I mean, I loved the idea of ROTT's platforming but loathed the execution. I think a lot of people would flip out if they knew Shadow Warrior's budget (it's smaller than a lot of Kickstarter games!).

You're right that they were aiming for different things, and I get the consistency complaint. Some people don't like having to upgrade weapons. Fair enough. To me, once they were upgraded, I preferred Shadow Warrior's arsenal to ROTT's in every way and that's excluding the sword (the best melee weapon ever!). Hold down RMB and unload! I thought Shadow Warrior did a great job marrying the old and the new without sacrificing gameplay flow or fun. FWH's engine is a marvel! It looks great without sacrificing performance and I loved the art direction and story. It knew what it was and delivered on every front: awesome gory, combat, enemy variety, environmental interplay, skill system, length and story. I agree with you about the bosses, though. They were a little tedious on higher difficulties - at least they looked impressive!

Price point will be irrelevant one day. They'll both be $10-15 by the end of next year and if someone were to ask me which I would give the edge to, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Shadow Warrior. I'm not dismissing ROTT, despite having an awful time with it (performance-wise). The fact that Interceptor made an independent shooter and established a studio despite limited means is awesome! I just think Shadow Warrior is a better game in every respect. It was my favorite shooter of last year.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Weren't you shilling PR for RoTT for a while? It's rather interesting to see you about-face like this.

View PostComrade Major, on 20 January 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

Weren't you shilling PR for RoTT for a while? It's rather interesting to see you about-face like this.

Like everyone, I like what I like. I was really excited for ROTT pre-launch but was disappointed with the final product. That's on me. Maybe I went in with high expectations? Regardless, I didn't like the game.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 20 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Sounds like the problem is when the developer tries to appeal to both modern and classic mechanics simultaneously, that was one reason Duke Nukem Forever failed to deliver. To be fair, ROTT is more on the classical side atleast.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

In what way did DNF have classic mechanics? If it had any at all I don't remember them, and they were probably minor.

Mostly things passed over from the original like usable urinals, pool ball tables, shrink puzzles, and having most of his classic weaponry. They were trying to make it resemble classic Duke but also appeal to the modern shooter crowd which made it scattered. I'll give the ROTT remake that much. It still falls to linear progression but atleast it more resembles a classical shooter than others.

1.4 is finally out. New weapon and new maps! Will try this game in 2 weeks with my first own-built gaming PC. :) can finally try rott, sw2013 and serious with a controller aswell to see how that works :)

User is offline   Player Lin 

After a year later without no one here care that poor game...

RotT 2013 Patch 1.5.1 "Crossplay Patch" released!

http://steamcommunit...03999968415414/

It basically added Cross-play MP with Steam and GoG users, and some 64bits compatibility fixes.
Don't know if there are some game/level fixes...

User is online   Lunick 

Still no Soundtrack release that their community has been begging for :D

This post has been edited by Lunick: 17 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I have all* the ROTT soundtrack I need here: http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#rott

*needs moar FLAC

• The Sarien Encounter

I really need to rerecord that. Lost the WAV source files, which is why there are no FLACs. I'd also love to implement loop points via metadata but I doubt any source ports utilize that feature.

Seriously, I don't like any of those new remix version of music, totally not my taste. :D
So I don't care if they ever release about original soundtracks(for their remixed version) at all, and stick on the classic music, like the one Hendricks266 posted. :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 17 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

I guess there's going to be more Rise of the Triad? :)

It's about damn time. Find me tomorrow. #QuakeCon2015

Soundtrack release?

User is online   Lunick 

In the video, one of the voices says "3 weeks"

View PostKristian Joensen, on 23 July 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

Soundtrack release?

You were right.

30 TRACKS.
FULLY REMASTERED.
COMPLETELY LUDICROUS.

The Rise of the Triad​ Soundtrack is finally coming... SOON™

• The Sarien Encounter

Meh.

Good luck with them. :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 26 July 2015 - 12:54 AM

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options