Duke4.net Forums: FARCRY 3 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FARCRY 3  "Best (FPS) Game Since Duke3D"

User is offline   Paul B 

Just purchased FarCry 3 last week when it was on sale for $20.00 on steam. This game is the best first person shooter game since Duke3d in my opinion. I have never seen a first person shooter game so dynamic before in my life with such an awesome story line. They've incorporated a lot of strategy into this first person shooter so it’s not all run and gun but it can be =). I highly recommend this game for anyone on the forums who has a computer that's not over 5 years old. It's well worth the buy, even at full price, you won't be disappointed.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

FarCry 1 had a much bigger impact when it came out than this one.
While FarCry3 is a great game, I have to say that FarCry 1 qualifies for the description of being the best fps since Duke3d before FarCry 3 does.
Though if you asked me, I would say there are many other games before Farcry1 and 3 that qualify as being the best games since duke 3d.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 30 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

I never liked the lack of hit boxes/ hit detection in FARCRY1 and I didn't find the AI to be natural. But that's just me i'm pretty picky when it comes to games. There's not much I do like.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Gonna buy it one of these days. I never played the first Far Cry but Far Cry 2 was pretty good, but I have to say I was playing it for its dynamic environment, not for its nonexistent storyline or repetitive combat.

User is offline   t800 

Heh, I want to see somebody attempting to run Far Cry 3 on even 5 year old PC, when it makes most of modern mid-end PCs sweat blood. :D

Naah..., but anyway, why do I see praise coming at FC3 from almost everywhere, but FC2 was forgotten almost immediately?
I didnt play it yet, because well its atmposhere and theme doesnt get me at all (Spoiled brat from gold priveledged society getting stranded on island, with magical tatoos, drugs that give you great powers and even drug hallucination battle? :P No thanks.)

Maybe I miss lot, I dont know, but from what I heard I got opposite impression - LOT of dumbing down:
- players complaining about long "boring" travelling trough country to objectives? - give them fast travel
- complaints about enemy spawning at checkpoints and bases? - make it if player capture base, enemies will disappear completely (even patrols)
- players too stupid/lazy/ignorant (choose approriate) to manage weapon attrition? - remove it completly to make every damned gun ever found in any enviroment at any situation in 100% condition
- players dont know what should they spent their in-game money for first? - lets give them guns for free !
- players find it too cumbersome/unpractical to have to hold their map in thier hands so they cant use guns at same time? - give them map radar which is displayed all the time
- players dont know how to utilize buddy save system? - remove it completely and replace it with ordinary stupid autosave checkpoints
Believe it or not, I actaully prefered all this quirks from FC2 over FC3 over-simplification. It made it something special and distinctive from other cod clones.

Okay, maybe I should stop here...
But still, is it only me that I am scared off by all these changes?

I admit FC2 was not in any way perfect game, but from what i heard FC3 has linear story missions? I mean, WTH? They force you to take one predesigned path trough them, no freedom in planning out own way?! What I loved/still love in FC2 is that, I find some place with good view, then I will do recon and choose my way.

Many players in FC2 rightly critised "bullet sponge" enemies, and I admit seeing enemy limping away after I shot half mag of AK47 in his head does look stupid. But this was thankfully remedied by one modder at ModDb. If you want to give FC2 another chance, then please try out Dylan's Far Cry 2 Realism Mod, you wont regret that. (But IIRC it requires Fortunes pack and last patch for it.) Trust me, try it on Infamous (highest) difficulty, and you will see that it chnages lot, enemies are much less durable, so now even pistol is useful, and it also makes player weaker so you have to play more carefully and plan out your strategy. It is definity must have for all FC2 fans.

Sorry, for my wall of ramblings, I end it now. :P
(But dont get fooled by thinking that I am narrow minded, I am open to any arguments, and theoretically I would gave FC3 chance if somebody proved me wrong with facts.)

This post has been edited by t800: 30 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View Postt800, on 30 July 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Sorry, for my wall of ramblings, I end it now. :P
(But dont get fooled by thinking that I am narrow minded, I am open to any arguments, and theoretically I would gave FC3 chance if somebody proved me wrong with facts.)

T800 its very obvious you haven't played far cry 3 because you've listed all the strengths of Far Cry 3 without intending to because it is quiet the opposite of what you mentioned. haha

FarCry 3 - Has fast Travel
FarCry 3 - All the missions are very close together
Enemies don't respawn at check points once you take over a base/safe house in that area.
It does show a mini map at all times. Plus a larger map with the use of the 'm' key.

You really haven't posted one thing that makes sense or is true to farcry 3. And my PC is 5 Years old and runs it on high detail with everything turned on.

I run a Core™2 Duo Processor E8500 system from 2008.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

User is offline   t800 

Paul B, I think you totally misunderstood me, because what I posted is my personal biased impression and you just confirmed what I posted, as all these "strenghts" for you are actually weaknesses in my eyes.
EDIT: And yes, I outrightly admitted it in like 2 spots, that I havent played FC3 yet. I just stated my decision why I keep my hands off FC3, maybe my reasons are wrong, maybe not, I dont consider myself omniscient.

This post has been edited by t800: 30 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Postt800, on 30 July 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

- complaints about enemy spawning at checkpoints and bases? - make it if player capture base, enemies will disappear completely (even patrols)

Well that sounds good, because the system in FC2 was very irritating.

- players find it too cumbersome/unpractical to have to hold their map in thier hands so they cant use guns at same time? - give them map radar which is displayed all the time

Well that sounds good too. It's a simplification but it's for the good. The old system was just too much hassle, kinda like the original D3 flashlight system.

User is offline   Paul B 

View Postt800, on 30 July 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

Paul B, I think you totally misunderstood me, because what I posted is my personal biased impression and you just confirmed what I posted, as all these "strenghts" for you are actually weaknesses in my eyes.
EDIT: And yes, I outrightly admitted it in like 2 spots, that I havent played FC3 yet. I just stated my decision why I keep my hands off FC3, maybe my reasons are wrong, maybe not, I dont consider myself omniscient.

Sorry for mis understanding. I couldn't understand how your points could be taken as disadvantages but to each their own.. I'll give back your rep point. I read your post in a hurry and quite frankly couldn't understand what angle you were coming from and I still don't understand how you can find the features of the new game unappealing. No one says you have to fast travel or make use of that feature. If you want to go on foot the entire way of the map you can do so. The game is not repetitive at all and if it becomes repetitive it is because of the player's play style and not the game. Anyway it doesn't matter I think the game is fantastic if someone else doesn't well then its their own opinion and so be it. But I can see most people enjoying this type of game of course there will always be exceptions just like you'll never see me play any real time strategy game. It doesn't matter how good the game is.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

User is offline   t800 

Well, and here is the problem,
I can ignore some of new features as:
- fast travel and travel everywhere on foot or by vehicles because I am patient and never rush to objectives (I finished all weapon store and assasin missions in FC2 before I embarked onto story missions BTW) anyway and I like sightseeing and watching country and exploring new places which most of players sadly miss by overusing fast travel). By using it you will also miss planning strategically your way to goal.
- Or getting weapons for free after climbing transmission towers, so I would ignore them and instead buy ones for money (but that second one would be certainly much harder temptation to ignore).
- Or not trying to capture bases to keep enemy patrols (I hope game doesnt force player to do it), I know this may sound ridiculously and unbelievable, but I like respawnig enemies in FC2, yes they should be respawning less frequently, but still. See, I am kind of "explorer" and "completionist" player who wants to get everywhere and see everything game can offer (and then my friends laught at me that for me it often takes twice time longer to beat game then for them :P ) That for me means that soon I would have entire map devoid of any enemy population as I would capture all bases. :P And from time to time I like to return to my old saves for games with sandbox worlds, so that would completely lost any charm for me.

But some things I just cant ignore/change and they significantly affect gameplay for me:
-When I would die, then I wouldnt have to worry about having any buddy ready for rescue anymore, which for me means I lose interesting (and my favourite) part of gameplay when in chaos of battle you have to panicly escape and quickly heal yourself, and also you get to see some nice buddy cooperation (this is sadly another thing I miss in FC2, more team fighting, more allies in battle). I also save game only at predesigned save point places (safe houses, factions hqs, etc.,) it makes shootouts much more tense, and you have to seriously rely on buddy save system.
-I found necessity to hold map in hands as very immersive aspect. I also played without crosshair and I liked its very minimalist and at most of time almost non-existent hud, which in FC3 as I seen is very cluttered (but I heard latest patch allow to adjust it, but not to hide rader map(?!)
-I also liked FC2 weapon managment, you couldnt just pickup some rusty AK-47 for desert and then finish whole game with it. It only felt more natural, it also encoraged player to spend his diamonds (in-game currency) well and strategically, because only weapons from shops were in perfect mint condition.

So in end all these little gameplay quirks which I admit truly "make game less comfortable and accesible", actually make quite unique gameplay experience for me.
As I said before I am open to other opinions (but not ones like "it is better because FC2 gameplay elements sucked", because I frankly liked them) instead I would like to hear if game is suitable for my taste and why.

P.S.: I am curious, so please dont take it as offend - Have you played FC2? Because I see that many FC3 players skipped it due to its infamy.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 30 July 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

Gonna buy it one of these days. I never played the first Far Cry but Far Cry 2 was pretty good, but I have to say I was playing it for its dynamic environment, not for its nonexistent storyline or repetitive combat.

You must of been on crack when you playing that then, it's the only FC game I have not finished because I just became so bored with it.

User is offline   Paul B 

*** Edited after playing Far Cry 1 it put a bad taste in my mouth and I didn't bother or try Far Cry 2. Not sure why I guess I just had no desire so I can't compare it to Far Cry3. Perhaps I should add that one to my collection as well.

So NZRage are you saying Far Cry 2 is boring? because if you're not you're going to be in big trouble. lol

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I am saying FC2 was horribly boring.
Very repetitive game play.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Far Cry 2 is like marmite/vegemite. You either hate it or love it. It's all in the prep for me, but that can be super tedious. Far Cry 2's an audacious game. For better or worse we won't be seeing another shooter like it again. 3 has neat animals, but lost most of the magic for me by forcing me to sit through an appalling story implementing a tacky crafting system, and toning down fire propagation system.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Far cry 1 was awesome, I loved it.

Just downloaded Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon on the Xbox 360. I'm giving it a shot.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

It's got Michael Biehn!

User is offline   blackharted3 

• Resident Dufus

Far Cry 3 is purely an awesome game. I have no bad things to say about it. That's coming from me Mr. Negative lol, no I like everything about it, and while I did like it's predecessor, I think this one is a huge improvement. I highly recommend it to anyone. Yes the 1st one was epic, but the 3rd is by far my favorite. This is going to sound really stupid, but the first few times I played I was constantly in awe of it. :P

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDuel, on 06 August 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

Far Cry 3 is purely an awesome game. I have no bad things to say about it. That's coming from me Mr. Negative lol, ...

I am shocked. Posted Image and have to agree

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I found myself hard-pressed to actually try to finish that game. I somehow found Far Cry 2 more enjoyable as far as the gameplay goes.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostDaedolon, on 06 August 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

I found myself hard-pressed to actually try to finish that game. I somehow found Far Cry 2 more enjoyable as far as the gameplay goes.

That's interesting. I got annoyed really fast in FarCry2 when you'd clear a guard post the second you left the area and went back to it you had enemies respawn all over again. FarCry3 is much improved when you clear an area its clear. If you want to replay a guard post mission finish the game then replay any mission over again but the endless respawns enforced in FarCry2 was lame and detracted from the actual game.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 06 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

• Ancient Blood God

In Far Cry 3 I can't find any enemies to shoot because of how it handles the guard posts :/

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostDaedolon, on 06 August 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

In Far Cry 3 I can't find any enemies to shoot because of how it handles the guard posts :/

To find enemy territory open your map using 'm' key and anything on the map that has a red tint to it will indicate zones you don't control. This is where you will find enemies. You can't be serious right?

Anyway, I have yet to try Co-op mode. Looking forward to giving that a try.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 06 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

• Ancient Blood God

But I cleared out all of the red zones already. The coop is actually rather entertaining.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 06 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

User is offline   t800 

I think main source of most players gripes with FC2 lies somewhere else, said bluntly they dont know how to play it. (No arrogance or offence intended, just please read whole post.) Because if you want to play it as quick thrilling ride trough story missions and run-n-gun trough all checkpoints and bases, then yes, I agree, you will soon get bored and find gameplay repetetive. But that is not that way you should you play it in first place, you are actually spoiling whole experience for yourself. I admit first time I made same mistake and I found game unattractive. It definitely isnt that kind of games which like to show off to player, and just overwhelm him/her with impressions and feed him/her with awe-inspiring scenes and try to give him/her everything as much and as soon as possible. You have to find your way to it and find its charm hidden in it.

It shouldnt be played in one or few long runs where you are rushing to end. Just launch it, play it for 1 or 2 hours, then exit and return to it some other day. (You know that kind of gta/elder scrolls game progression.) Also rambo style of playing gets very quickly boring and repetetive. You have to understand one thing, if you try to clear every base or checkpoint and leave scorched land behind you, sooner or later you get bored because you will just repeat same thing over and over. So change it! Low difficulties tempt players into playing reclessly, impatiently and just rush. So crank difficulty bit up, try infamous or at least hardcore. You will be then forced to change your habits, and start to plan your routes and combat tactics more thoroughly which (at least for me) makes significant part of enjoyment. Inherent reaction of most gamers is just to get themselve assualt rifle or some other full auto weapon and just spray-n-prey. Scrap it then, buy sniper rifle or some silent weapons (Yes! Stealth gameplay *does* work in FC2, you just need to learn its specific nuances, for example you need to make every shot count as headshot, then enemy wont yell so others wont hear him.) and play more slowly and tactically. I think nobody explained and described it better than MajorSlack from YouTube. So check his web page and channel to see it for yourself.

Also as I wrote before in my previous post, many gamers rightfully complained about bullet sponge enemies, but this was remedied by one Moddb user who created Dylans realism mod which also lowers players max health thus it significantly changes gameplay mechanics. I strongly suggest it others who were dissapointed with original game and never finished it to try it again with it.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Postt800, on 06 August 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

I think main source of most players gripes with FC2 lies somewhere else, said bluntly they dont know how to play it.

Or, rather, the quickly respawning enemies were a fundamental design flaw and the players were right to hate a feature like that.

User is offline   t800 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 06 August 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Or, rather, the quickly respawning enemies were a fundamental design flaw and the players were right to hate a feature like that.

I have to agree with you on this, but well... I never advocated it in first place. I said basic gameplay mechanic of enemy respawning is correct, lack of respawn time - no way! (And as said author of that realism mod, it sadly cant be changed because Ubisoft didnt release any development kits for it?!). But if you dont rush trough game and carefully and meticulously plan your routes, you can often remedy this by just skipping them trough wilderness. Nobody forces you to clear them, in fact you can "unlock them" even from long distance, just by using monocular on its ammo/health cache.

This post has been edited by t800: 06 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Postt800, on 06 August 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

But if you dont rush trough game and carefully and meticulously plan your routes, you can often remedy this by just skipping them trough wilderness. Nobody forces you to clear them, in fact you can "unlock them" even from long distance, just by using monocular on its ammo/health cache.

This isn't really encouraged. If you wish to "skip them through wilderness", you usually have to abandon your vehicle, which isn't much fun when you just want to get to the next mission and not waste a lot of time getting there, especially when it's through a route you have taken a billion times before. I for one liked to just drive around and those checkpoints were nasty obstacles to a smooth and enjoyable gaming experience.

User is offline   t800 

Sorry but I disagree, from my experience I found out that almost 3/4 of skippable checkpoints can be skipped trough wilderness in vehicle. Well, if you dont mind bumpy roads, bit "offroading" and sometimes repairing time.

If you are fed up with checkpoint skirmishes and just want to get somewhere as quickly as possible use water ways (I prefer them whenever they are possible). You will still encounter some makeshift "docks" and enemy boat patrols but it will be much faster and efficient. (Maybe it is deceptive impression, but I found boats faster than most of cars.)

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postt800, on 06 August 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

It shouldnt be played in one or few long runs where you are rushing to end. Just launch it, play it for 1 or 2 hours, then exit and return to it some other day.

You know, people usually play games as long as they have interest in playing. Not many people(reviewers aside) try to "rush to the end" when there is little interest after 1-2 hours of continuous play.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options