Duke4.net Forums: "Cutting is shipping" - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Cutting is shipping"

http://www.twitter.com/georgeb3dr

wow...George is back

"cutting is shipping" I rember that Cliffy B said that, as far as I remember. But its a heavy statement for sure. :) Does that mean they cut out already implemented features? to ship it this year??

Oh George you just started a heavy discussion I guess.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

It "means" the game will be cut in half. We'll get, DNF Episode 1: "What is done". :)

Episode one will end with Duke hanging off a huge cliff.

Fade to black..... "Stay Tuned"

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

Cautiously optimistic.

VERY cautious. :)

User is offline   RVD 

I hope they cut those crappy insectoid enemies from the jace hall footage

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View Postcrunchysuperman, on Jan 12 2009, 09:54 PM, said:

Cautiously optimistic.

VERY cautious. :)

I'm with your statement, and I'll add that I'm feeling rather/barely/moreorless hyped.

Time will say, but I did well not expecting anything, any kind of media. When you receive this news, they are more "shocking", sort of speaking.

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View PostRVD, on Jan 12 2009, 10:01 PM, said:

Sorry for double post :)

I hope they won't. They look very annoying to me, which it'll be funny when playing the game :)

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

The problem here is that we all love to pop boners, but we're just afraid to pop a boner and end up with blue balls because we still won't be getting any. So I'm with Crunchysuperman on this one--cautiously optimistic.

mmm looks like great news if it is what we think ;-)
Perhaps the day we all dream about is coming closer and closer :)

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

View PostRVD, on Jan 12 2009, 04:01 PM, said:

Hey, I thought those were pretty cool!

I'm also cautiously optimistic like Crunchy. Whatever gets "chainsawed" will hopefully be saved for an expansion.

I really don't care if a few levels get cut along with some other "cool ideas". Polish what you've got done and get this game to us! :)

"Whatever gets "chainsawed" will hopefully be saved for an expansion."

If it is even worth that.

User is offline   rockmx8 

I don't think he's cutting anything, he just is pushing to release the game finally this year. Also there will be expansions and other downloadable features for DNF after release, so either way it's cool. And he just updated saying something relevant as well for DNF, hopefully he will update even more this year along with media until the game is out this year.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostRedSplat, on Jan 12 2009, 04:38 PM, said:

It "means" the game will be cut in half. We'll get, DNF Episode 1: "What is done". :)

That actually sounds like that would be possible and the right thing to do! I'd welcome DNF that way as long as it didn't take them too long to get the other half out. :)

User is offline   rockmx8 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on Jan 12 2009, 09:16 PM, said:

That actually sounds like that would be possible and the right thing to do! I'd welcome DNF that way as long as it didn't take them too long to get the other half out. :)

Yeah I agree, if it does happen they better release the next episode in mid 2010 or earlier.

User is offline   Kathy 

If I was George, I would add "stay tuned" at the end of the twat. That'd be funny as hell. :)

As most of you probably know he posted again since that. But to those out there that don't know:

"Worked on menu design and layout with Pete and Layne for a couple of hours"

User is offline   Betelgeuse 

• Honored Donor

In DNF senior management has stood behind the feature teams when they?ve had to make the tough decisions. One of the messages that management has consistently driven home to the teams is ?cutting is shipping?, and they?re right. If a feature isn?t coming together, it?s usually far better to decide NOT to deliver a particular feature then to have that feature jeopardize the ability to ship the whole system. In a typical DNF release there are thousands of features and it would be a real shame if one or two of those features ended up delaying the entire system because they really weren?t ready

originally about win7 and vista.

View PostRedSplat, on Jan 12 2009, 02:38 PM, said:

That reminds me of 3DR saying something similar for DNMP. You know, releasing each episode monthly, but in the end they put it all on one disc.

As to why DNF didn't come out back then, is that they were waiting for the right time to bring Duke back. Now, that time may be coming soon.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostKristian Joensen, on Jan 13 2009, 02:04 AM, said:

As most of you probably know he posted again since that. But to those out there that don't know:

"Worked on menu design and layout with Pete and Layne for a couple of hours"

Hmm? Xbox 360 menu or PC menu? I wonder if they even have a working 360 version of the game yet? I doubt it, but who knows.

User is offline   Kathy 

If they don't have at least somehow working 360 version(and most likely the release will be simultaneous for PC/360) then DNF is way far off.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on Jan 13 2009, 01:46 AM, said:

Hmm? Xbox 360 menu or PC menu? I wonder if they even have a working 360 version of the game yet? I doubt it, but who knows.

No one knows except for George Broussard. There's no word on them doing a 360 version of DNF, but they're working on a version for PC.

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

The menu design is a important part, there have been Xbox 360/PC games that fail at that. Unreal Tournement 3, and then with GUI failure was Fallout 3/Obvilion. So it's not as easy as it sounds. DNF on Xbox 360 is not far fetched, and ever more likely than that.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I think GB meant that they want to release the game faster. But that's just a little statement on a twitter website, you guys have to think they aren't actually going to go faster. What? are they going to sprint to the offices or install teleporting devices to narrow down the travel to the toilet? How can you actually go faster on game development? That's right, you CAN'T. You can only go SMARTER to release the damn thing.

So the whole impression I've got from the twitter post is that he just want people to have something to talk about. He is still going to do the same amount of work as always.

User is offline   Montykoro 

View PostDavoX, on Jan 13 2009, 03:43 PM, said:

I think GB meant that they want to release the game faster. But that's just a little statement on a twitter website, you guys have to think they aren't actually going to go faster. What? are they going to sprint to the offices or install teleporting devices to narrow down the travel to the toilet? How can you actually go faster on game development? That's right, you CAN'T. You can only go SMARTER to release the damn thing.

Nop....

Cut down the work... less features...less lvls...less scripting...less less less...

So the whole impression I've got from the twitter post is that he just want people to have something to talk about.

Maybe....maybe...maybe it's the pre ignition of the OLD OLD OLD OLD hype disel machine...

He is still going to do the same amount of work as always.

Nop...cutting... less... menos... Cutting content...less lvl... "menos work"

• Honored Donor

That phase means they are closer to end?

User is offline   flarty 

isnt cutting more associated with pacing? for instance you cut apart of a level out because it ruins the pacing of the game etc etc.

i mean thats what i always associated with cutting, as basically editing.
If this whats meant then really polishing must be in final stages on a whole.
We can hope anyway.

• Honored Donor

I would imagine it would include something like that.

User is offline   Kathy 

No, I'm sure they're cutting some of the features. Though, pacing in the game is also important, it's not the main cutting that needs to be done in the game development, I think. Thus, "cutting is shipping".

View PostThe Dukenator, on Jan 13 2009, 01:04 AM, said:

No one knows except for George Broussard. There's no word on them doing a 360 version of DNF, but they're working on a version for PC.

Actually 3drealms had a joblisting wanting people with xbox360 coding experience on the front page awhile back. Besides just having the game for PC would narrow their consumer audience down to people who spend two thousnd dollars on a gaming rig. In short im pretty positive there will be at least a 360 version, maybe PS3.

This post has been edited by Mindcrime:Nikki: 14 January 2009 - 04:05 AM

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

I'm sure there will be a 360 version, perhaps also a PS3 version (my slightest doubts for a PS3 version comes from the fact that 3DR seems to like the 360 the most, but i think it would be silly making it only fo rthat console if both could run it)

But just because 3DR were looking for 360 coders, it shouldn't automatically be assumed it's for DNF, they might have other internal projects that we haven't heard of yet...
Or maybe, you know... it's for both, unannounced projects and DNF...

Not that it matters much anyways, regardless, i am still sure there is at LEAST a 360 version on its way, along with the PC version...
Why is this relevant to "Cutting is Shipping" though..? This is more of a platform discussion rather than the original topic guys :)

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options