Duke4.net Forums: DNF Green textures (DDS files) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Green textures (DDS files)  "Why ? And how to fix it ?"

User is offline   DNF FRANCE 

Why, and how can I fix this problem ? :

When I open any DDS texture, it appears green.
So, it is illegible and not usable...

Edit :
Example
Posted Image

This post has been edited by DNF FRANCE: 21 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostDNF FRANCE, on 21 July 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

Why, and how can I fix this problem ? :

When I open any DDS texture, she appears green.
So, it is illegible and not usable...

In english regular nouns don't have genders, so "it appears green" Posted Image

If I'm not mistaken, the green textures are the normal maps or something like that? Doesn't really help with your problem though.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

DNF was a strange beast technically. Those may be bump maps as opposed to normal maps.

User is offline   Gambini 

STALKER also uses green bumpmaps. But I think the case here is that they wanted the game´s content not to be readable by anything else than the game. I didn´t look at skins and textures but I did look at sounds and all them are stored in mp3 batchs that include about 100 samples each one, all with different pitchs and in a completely random order. Broussard was really worried that other companies like Valve, Monolith or even ID would want to steal his wonderful assets for their games :P

View PostMicky C, on 21 July 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

In english regular nouns don't have genders, so "it appears green" Posted Image

If I'm not mistaken, the green textures are the normal maps or something like that? Doesn't really help with your problem though.

The misspelling is corrected !
Thank you.

View PostGambini, on 21 July 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

STALKER also uses green bumpmaps. But I think the case here is that they wanted the game´s content not to be readable by anything else than the game. I didn´t look at skins and textures but I did look at sounds and all them are stored in mp3 batchs that include about 100 samples each one, all with different pitchs and in a completely random order. Broussard was really worried that other companies like Valve, Monolith or even ID would want to steal his wonderful assets for their games :P

I thought the same thing, but before, I could extract the textures correctly. Someone did not do a backup unprotected DDS files ?
I want to use for the site DNF FRANCE. It uses parallax scrolling technology (HTML5). And the idea of sailing around the DukeBurger tower. So I need the real textures for rendering the map.

This post has been edited by DNF FRANCE: 21 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

User is offline   Hank 

To first post - a greenish bump map has four channels, and the bluish one three, so the green have more flexibilities in defining height, but are not noticeable in most engines, so no one uses it.
If you use The GIMP you can filter out the fourth channel and stick with RBG only.

here are various comparisons of using ddt
http://www.poopinmym.../dds_types.html

View PostHank, on 21 July 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

To first post - a greenish bump map has four channels, and the bluish one three, so the green have more flexibilities in defining height, but are not noticeable in most engines, so no one uses it.
If you use The GIMP you can filter out the fourth channel and stick with RBG only.

here are various comparisons of using ddt
http://www.poopinmym.../dds_types.html

In GIMP 2.6 + Plugin to import DDS files :
- Image -> Mode -> RVB* (already selected...)
*RVB = RBG

- Channels tab :
Red (preview:black only)
Green (preview:gray texture)
Blue (preview:black only)
Alpha (preview:white only)

Example of the problem :
Posted Image

This post has been edited by DNF FRANCE: 21 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Both of those images you showed seem to have an alpha channel.
Theoretically, if you move the alpha data of the green normal map into its, hopefully empty, red channel, you should get the average purple normal map.

Or use the GIMPs normal creator to simply make a normal from the original.

Cheers

View PostHank, on 21 July 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Both of those images you showed seem to have an alpha channel.
Theoretically, if you move the alpha data of the green normal map into its, hopefully empty, red channel, you should get the average purple normal map.

Or use the GIMPs normal creator to simply make a normal from the original.

Cheers

"Normal" textures OK, but this trick does not work to find the "Diffuse" textures.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDNF FRANCE, on 21 July 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

"Normal" textures OK, but this trick does not work to find the "Diffuse" textures.

If what you are showing is the diffuse map, it only needs one colour, you may be able to convert this to a grey scale.
Or they put everything into one image, with different layers? Check if this thing has layers, or upload the texture set in question.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options