Duke4.net Forums: Suicide - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suicide  "Why not?"

Poll: Suicide (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you consider suicide as a possible solution to one's suffering?

1. Yes (23 votes [46.94%])

Percentage of vote: 46.94%

2. No (26 votes [53.06%])

Percentage of vote: 53.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Things are actually starting to add up now. If I were too braindead to see anything racist about Shadow Warrior, I'd probably be an advocate of suicide as well. Good thing I'm neither. :P

User is online   Sangman 

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostForge, on 19 August 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

Do you think a supreme being sees everything in black and white? This is why I hate organized religion because they are pretentious enough to know what their god is thinking and can speak on their god's behalf using some book written by a man thousands of years ago.
I'm religious, but no stupid f*cking man is going to tell me they know what God is thinking or how God perceives anything

User is offline   blackharted3 

• Resident Dufus

Bumping this topic to state my views on this matter, suicide is wrong 99.9% of the time. However I do consider it acceptable if and only if, someone who has a terminal illness and is in terrible pain 24/7, to either take their own life or be assisted with it. I mean isn't there a place in Sweden just for such occasions?

User is offline   Zaxtor 

If I would have a terminal illness and in soo much pain I'd choose yes.
Quick death is far more humane than prolonged suffering.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

The day I cant wipe my own ass I do not want to live any longer, I do not believe this would be selfish as I have told enough people this.

User is online   Sangman 

Let's move away from referring to euthanasia as suicide for a sec. What if your "suffering" was psychological in nature?

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Keeping someone alive to prolong their suffering is selfishness.

Unless the terminally ill person chooses to not to be euthanised.

But keeping someone in horrible pain alive against their will is selfishness and wrong in my opinion.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Agree. At least with animals we do the human thing that is terminate their suffering.

I actually halfway wrote a post about such things earlier, but last time I said any such thing I was sent back to the psycho department. Why is it that if your animal is ill and you put it down to prevent further suffering that's fine? These people say animals are less receptive of pain (I think that's BS) so what's up with that? Thing is, you get horrible looks and yells in your direction when you suggest that it's fine to allow people with terminal and painful diseases to die - though if they are in a fit state to make decisions, it should be their choice. I have supported the idea that people should have a right to die since I was about six years old.

Edit : Removed a paragraph as I think it was likely to cause a flamewar or something. Don't ask.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 22 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm more on the fence about letting people kill themselves because of mental distress. I know some days I feel like I could just die, but then I'm okay a day or so later. I think there are alternatives to suicide in most cases.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHigh Treason, on 22 August 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

I actually halfway wrote a post about such things earlier, but last time I said any such thing I was sent back to the psycho department. Why is it that if your animal is ill and you put it down to prevent further suffering that's fine? These people say animals are less receptive of pain (I think that's BS) so what's up with that? Thing is, you get horrible looks and yells in your direction when you suggest that it's fine to allow people with terminal and painful diseases to die - though if they are in a fit state to make decisions, it should be their choice. I have supported the idea that people should have a right to die since I was about six years old.

Edit : Removed a paragraph as I think it was likely to cause a flamewar or something. Don't ask.

Posted Image

User is online   Sangman 

View PostFox, on 22 August 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Agree. At least with animals we do the human thing that is terminate their suffering.

My cat once broke a leg and the vet proposed to euthanize it because fixing it would cost a few hundred euros. We told the cunt to go choke on a fat dick and got the leg fixed somewhere else.

I mean that animals are very rarely put down because of "suffering" but because their presence becomes a financial burden and euthanizing them is cheaper. Has fuck all to do with "the human thing".

This post has been edited by Sangman: 23 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I dunno, it depends. I live on a farm. I've had to witness and even had to kill a few animals just because there was nothing that could be done.

User is offline   Fox 

I regret not doing it to some of my cats. Their situation was much worse than a broken leg, of course.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Also keep in mind that animals are killed for the sole purpose of us eating them.

User is offline   Fox 

Not as if it is necessarily a bad thing, a cow is likely to live a longer life in a ranch than nature.

Otherwise, you can only ate vegetables, and many animals are going to be killed for harvesting.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostFox, on 23 August 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Not as if it is necessarily a bad thing, a cow is likely to live a longer life in a ranch than nature.

Weren't slaves also likely to live a longer life on plantation?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostKathy, on 24 August 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

Weren't slaves also likely to live a longer life on plantation?

comparing slaves to cows?
i do like dark meat, but we haven't reached the soylent green stage yet

User is offline   Ronin 

Never underestimate the power of exercise to make the brain feel good. I am currently trying to get my brother (who has serious depression/bi-polar issues) to stop with the pills that make him tired all the time and start lifting weights. I am going to try to train him up so hopefully he can pump endorphins through his body to improve general sense of well being as well as confidence. If ever I get injured and have to stop, I get depressed as I am so used to endorphins I regularly get from working out for the past 20 years.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostForge, on 24 August 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

comparing slaves to cows?i do like dark meat, but we haven't reached the soylent green stage yet

I was comparing reasoning.

View PostRonan, on 24 August 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

Never underestimate the power of exercise to make the brain feel good. I am currently trying to get my brother (who has serious depression/bi-polar issues) to stop with the pills that make him tired all the time and start lifting weights.

Will it really be a substitute in that kind of condition?

If ever I get injured and have to stop, I get depressed as I am so used to endorphins I regularly get from working out for the past 20 years.

Interesting downside.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostKathy, on 24 August 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Interesting downside.

I don't know but it might and everything else he tried has failed. The hard part is actually getting him to stick with it for long enough for it to become a normal part of his life as it is for me.
The downside sucks, the longer you train the odds are you are eventually going to get an injury of some kind, then you get better and make that part of you body stronger eliminating the weak link.
I can get high using only a hand gripping device, even when injured there is usually some exercise you can do though nothing compare to weights for me, for some it's running.
For me weight lifting is a form of meditation strange as it sounds, it definitely has a positive effect on how your brain fires.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostKathy, on 24 August 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

What are you implying? That he just keeps popping pills and does nothing about it?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

physical exercise doesn't cut it for me. i need mental stimulation and activity to make my mind focus on the task at hand (instead of idle wandering which leads to negative thoughts)

in my case the chemical factory is broke. i was overstimulated for an extended period of time now i no longer produce a sufficient amount of endorphins. i would have to take up something extreme and become an adrenaline junkie, but my body is too broke for that

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMs. Radar, on 24 August 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

What are you implying? That he just keeps popping pills and does nothing about it?

"Popping pills" is doing something to counter his mental condition.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Which obviously isn't working. Why else would Ronan be trying to get his brother off of them?

Truly Kathy, with the negative attitude you seem to have about trying to combat mental illness or depression, it seems you are inching towards suicide, truly believing it to be inevitable, even a cure almost.

But I can't say that as a fact since you've always been sort of dodging the question of your own thread. Kathy, what are your thoughts on suicide? No more half-answers or rhetorical questions anymore. We've all confessed our thoughts on it. Now it's your turn.

User is online   Sangman 

View PostRonan, on 24 August 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

Never underestimate the power of exercise to make the brain feel good. I am currently trying to get my brother (who has serious depression/bi-polar issues) to stop with the pills that make him tired all the time and start lifting weights. I am going to try to train him up so hopefully he can pump endorphins through his body to improve general sense of well being as well as confidence. If ever I get injured and have to stop, I get depressed as I am so used to endorphins I regularly get from working out for the past 20 years.

This is very true. Runner's high is pretty awesome.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMs. Radar, on 24 August 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

Now it's your turn.

"Yes" was my answer to the poll's question.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

A lot of people put yes down as their answer, but that doesn't mean they supported every instance of it. To what degree do you support suicide?

User is offline   Kathy 

Everything non-impulsive.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options