Duke4.net Forums: Suicide - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suicide  "Why not?"

Poll: Suicide (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you consider suicide as a possible solution to one's suffering?

1. Yes (23 votes [46.94%])

Percentage of vote: 46.94%

2. No (26 votes [53.06%])

Percentage of vote: 53.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Ok, I can't force you to faithfully answer the question, but just know that it's a little hypocritical to make a thread question for everyone to answer thoroughly when you aren't willing to do the same.

This post has been edited by Ms. Radar: 24 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

I've just made the poll, not necessary a question to answer thoroughly.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Well, I don't think it's right for someone to take their own life.

User is offline   Kathy 

But it is their right.

By the way, small video game dealing with a suicide theme. Not recommended to be played in a suicidal mood. :P
http://www.actualsunlight.com/

This post has been edited by Kathy: 24 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostRonan, on 24 August 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

Never underestimate the power of exercise to make the brain feel good. I am currently trying to get my brother (who has serious depression/bi-polar issues) to stop with the pills that make him tired all the time and start lifting weights. I am going to try to train him up so hopefully he can pump endorphins through his body to improve general sense of well being as well as confidence. If ever I get injured and have to stop, I get depressed as I am so used to endorphins I regularly get from working out for the past 20 years.

Totally. I feel great after a hard day's work.

I wish I could afford the gym.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostKathy, on 24 August 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

I've just made the poll, not necessary a question to answer thoroughly.

And you also asked a ton of questions so people could explain their opinions more. You are copping out.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Sue her.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMs. Radar, on 24 August 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

And you also asked a ton of questions so people could explain their opinions more. You are copping out.

What I was about to say. But then again, she does this on every thread where she asks a question.

User is offline   Kathy 

My answers were obvious enough to show my position regarding suicide. Anything else doesn't concern you.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Then nothing else regarding my answers concerns you either. I sure hope you don't ask me to further explain my thoughts one day, because that's the exact answer I'm going to throw back at you.

This is the most incredible case of a double standard I've ever seen on this forum. You always tend to ask loads of questions so that people can explain their thoughts more; often times asking in redundant, rhetorical, or even instigating manners. But when someone does the same to you, you hide under a blanket and refuse to come out, almost feeling offended that the questioner is trying to meddle with your business. There's a name for that. It's called "shit-posting", passionately dubbed so by the Great Jimmy, and a field I am an expert in - including execution*.

* Actually, only execution, haha.

This post has been edited by Ms. Radar: 25 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

You asked personal question regarding whether or not I plan on killing myself, then started grilling me on answering it and yet you were displeased when I eventually told you to back off? I'm sorry for "copping out" out of highly personal question.

As for hypocrisy, I haven't asked anyone in this thread to state their general course towards commiting suicide, only you had. In addition, I always tried(perhaps failing) to ask questions in general manner, without encouraging people to spill thoughts on their own personal matters. So, I find your accusations of being hypocritical highly unwarranted.

I wouldn't call what Kathy did "shit-posting" because it did indeed spark a big, personal debate where a lot of people really spilled their hearts out.

This post has been edited by Slippy_Pig: 25 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

you should have expected people to hypothesize on why you started a thread like this

if everyone said, "yes, just do it already" would you have felt the world an uncaring place and acted on your impulse?

if everyone said, "no, that's dumb. don't do it" would you have felt everyone was being disingenuous and acted on your impulse?

i've tried talking friends out of suicide on a couple occasions (unsuccessfully). I've danced on the edge myself so I know the feeling, but words are cheap and meaningless. I recommend pills to fix the chemical imbalance. Even apparently normal, healthy, active people that are loved and seem to have everything going for them fall over the edge because of internal power struggles.

User is offline   Kathy 

The topic of suicide generally interests me, but I wasn't asking whether I should do it. I've got my own brain and feelings to decide that and it wouldn't matter what would people here say. In the end it is a personal choice. Your life is yours and fundamentally it is your moral right to end it.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostKathy, on 25 August 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

The topic of suicide generally interests me, but I wasn't asking whether I should do it. I've got my own brain and feelings to decide that and it wouldn't matter what would people here say. In the end it is a personal choice. Your life is yours and fundamentally it is your moral right to end it.

agree. my point of view as well

i was merely postulating on the matter in an attempt to receive further insight on your opinion of the subject

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Lots of things are people's rights. That doesn't mean it's necessarily ok for them to exercise them. That said, I nor anybody else can tell anybody they can't do something, obviously, which I think was your point anyway. It's a decision they have to make for themselves. Personally, I don't think anybody should be committing suicide, though. If you believe in any kind of afterlife, you're committing self-murder, murder being morally wrong. If you don't, then as someone else said, you're affecting everyone around you without caring, which is selfish. But it all depends on what you believe. Anyone can justify anything in their minds, though, at the same time. It's a deep subject, to be sure.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostJimmy, on 24 August 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

Totally. I feel great after a hard day's work.

I wish I could afford the gym.

I don't go to the gym too many annoying people wasting time taking too long on the machines and answering phones and looking in mirrors..
Over the years I just picked up more and more equipment, I have all I need at home. You just need a mat, some space, dumbells , a barbell, a bench (optional) and a wide selection of different weights and there is nothing you can't exercise and build up.
You can get all that for less that half the yearly cost of going to a gym and that stuff will last you your entire life, the only other extra cost is protein powder and again that's optional.

I think the breathing has a lot to do with the good feeling you get as well as oxygen is being pumped not only through your body more rapidly but to your brain, which has a calming effect on you.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 25 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

User is offline   Sangman 

I hope I don't sound like an inconsiderate cunt here but all this time I though Kathy was a dude. Am I missing something?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I don't condone suicide at all. Not only is it cowardly but it's also extremely selfish if you've got children and/or parents & siblings who care about you. (It's actually common among those who commit suicide to mistakenly believe that no one cares about them. But even if no one did, so what?)

Of course if you're terminally ill or something then it's different.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostSangman, on 25 August 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

I hope I don't sound like an inconsiderate cunt here but all this time I though Kathy was a dude. Am I missing something?

I once secretly conducted an off-the-record interview with Kathy about this topic. I don't think she detected anything. This was the conversation we had, taken from this thread:

View PostKathy, on 19 July 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

...Oh, and I would like to be addressed as a female. :P

View PostMs. Radar, on 20 July 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

Haha. NOPE.

View PostKathy, on 20 July 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

Typical male behavior...

View PostMs. Radar, on 20 July 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

Alright, I wanna see how this is like. From now on, I demand to be addressed as a female. I already feel so eccentric.

View PostKathy, on 20 July 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

On forums the behavior should be the same except pronouns usage.

View PostMs. Radar, on 20 July 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

And attention. Don't forget you get attention. I take it that was your main purpose then.

View PostKathy, on 20 July 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

It wasn't.

View PostMs. Radar, on 20 July 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Then what was? After all, you said yourself that a switch of pronouns is the only difference it causes on a forum. I'm not sure why you would specifically desire that, so I imagine the attention it also gathers is the real prize.

View PostKathy, on 20 July 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

I was being called Cathy somewhere else for awhile so I decided why not also change it here.

I'm not exactly sure why the pronoun switch was required. You can be a guy and still be called "Kathy". While it may not be normal, you can get away with it on a forum. I still think she wants the attention.

Waiting for Kathy to reply with the usual format: "[Insert some intelligent sounding sentences to avoiding answering faithfully]. Get the thread back on topic!"

And before any silly people get the idea that I have no life because I have that conversation saved, let it be known that I probably don't, but either way I got it from a very easy to find thread from the DNF section that took me all of 10 seconds to find.

This post has been edited by Ms. Radar: 25 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

From now on I will use a female pronoun to refer to Ms. Radar.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

On forums the behavior should be the same except pronouns usage.

And Hitler loved Jews.

This post has been edited by Ms. Radar: 25 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

User is offline   Forge 

...for breakfast

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

All this time, he had actually meant "glass of juice", not "gas the Jews".

EDIT: Oh, you posted, Fox. Yeah, you're right on it.

This post has been edited by Ms. Radar: 25 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

User is offline   Sangman 

Has anyone ever told you you're actually not that funny?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

No. Will you be the first? :P

View PostMs. Radar, on 25 August 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Waiting for Kathy to reply with the usual format: "[Insert some intelligent sounding sentences to avoiding answering faithfully]. Get the thread back on topic!"

Or, you know, don't even respond at all. Just downvote me and keep running away.

This post has been edited by Ms. Radar: 26 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

User is offline   Forge 

okay

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Run for the hills, boy.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostKathy, on 25 August 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

You asked personal question regarding whether or not I plan on killing myself, then started grilling me on answering it and yet you were displeased when I eventually told you to back off? I'm sorry for "copping out" out of highly personal question.

As for hypocrisy, I haven't asked anyone in this thread to state their general course towards commiting suicide, only you had. In addition, I always tried(perhaps failing) to ask questions in general manner, without encouraging people to spill thoughts on their own personal matters. So, I find your accusations of being hypocritical highly unwarranted.

I just reread this post. Please Kathy, I never once asked "are you considering to commit suicide?". That was never my intention. Now you're just taking it all personal. I'm starting to think you were actually a female all along.

User is offline   Ronin 

You really like stirring the shit. Or maybe you are like them young guys who throw things at girls they like just to get attention, I think you got a thing for Kathy.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options